Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
This game is gonna own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
To clarify, I only said I didn't trust cops because we were asked a question about trusting authority figures and law enforcement and I answered honestly. I did not perjure!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Silly Burrito posted:

Winkie in honor of your upcoming jury duty, please only post pictures of judges tonight. Judge Wapner, Judge Judy.....

Judge Mills Lane

Mike Judge

British EDM pioneer Judge Jules

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Dis a bad matchup and I will watch all of it. Mostly.

Namaste.

You gonna watch the game with us Mr Chinatown?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Madcosby posted:

First, let's understand that bayesian stats is the probability of measurable events, assuming a condition has occurred.

Now an example:

The facts: Your wife is murdered by a home intruder while you are on a lonely fishing trip. She just signed a primo life insurance plan.

You are completely innocent.

The investigation: The police are going by "logic" to make you their prime suspect. Here logic means, "the usual". Since a majority of murders are done by somone the victim knows, you are more likely the murderer (b. stats). Since she just signed a life insurance policy, you have more motive towards seeing here dead (b. stats, again) etc.

The case: The same exact evidence above is shown, asking jurors to hang on to "logic" since the probabilities all point to you being the murderer. However, note that we haven't concluded anything at all, execpt that statistically, you are the most likely to have done it, essentially the circular reasoning why you are on trial in the first place. Using the same logical reasoning for investigating you and convicting you does not address your role in the murder.

But that wasn't the case at all. The purpose of the testimony was to cast doubt on the reliability of the witness. That seems perfectly legitimate to me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Go...

...Iggles.

Giggles.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I got a notice from NYC saying "hey rear end in a top hat sign up for jury duty" so i did. i'm 25 and have never juried even one duty, is that normal?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
GROOM used OMNISLASH on CAKE !!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Judge Mills Lane

Mike Judge

British EDM pioneer Judge Jules

British super hero Judge Dredd

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

When the hell did Jared Allen get to the Panthers?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Just The Facts posted:

Do your civic duty and do it proud.

Yes. Don't be a goddamn shithead, OP.

Soothing Vapors posted:

have u tried not being a piece of poo poo and doing ur civic duty instead

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Phobeste posted:

I got a notice from NYC saying "hey rear end in a top hat sign up for jury duty" so i did. i'm 25 and have never juried even one duty, is that normal?

I'm 27 and I've had a notice but never had to show up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Go Eagles, but only because I need the Panthers to lose.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phobeste posted:

It's kinda random. I got 4 jury duty notices over 3 years, but since I was in college I just said that and they released me.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
lets start this loving game already

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Let's go Carolina.

Total chaos in the NFC East!!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
al michaels desperately trying to convince us this will be a good game is p. hilarious

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Jason Kelce is a luxurious yeti-man.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A stat: 4 out of the 11 Eagles offensive starters played college at a school with a name beginning with the letter "O"

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Eagles fans, is Lane Johnson good? I need to know who won the bad tackle roulette from that first round

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I am so loving pumped for this game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

lets start this loving game already

unbelievable. You have a gif for everything

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Winkie01 posted:

Game gonna suck dick here is the important part:

I have to report to court tomorrow to see if they pick me for Jury Duty, what the gently caress do I have to do to get out of it? My grandma just said go in and be a giant racist, is it really that easy?

Golf lol

I got selected for jury duty earlier this year, for a felony case no less. It was an eye opening experience. If you're a good person who has a basic grasp of concepts like burden of proof, you should be honest and do your duty, because they need as many people like you as possible. If I ever find myself in trouble, I'm never going the trial by jury route if there's an alternative.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

I am so loving pumped for this game.
You're a pats fan right? Why so pumped?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

tranime scholar posted:

GROOM used OMNISLASH on CAKE !!

I like to imagine you do good a Jane Goodall at anime conventions

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good start.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

al michaels desperately trying to convince us this will be a good game is p. hilarious

undefeated team vs trainwreck is cool and good

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Cool we didn't start with a 3 and out.

And DeMarco is finally running with confidence

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

blue squares posted:

unbelievable. You have a gif for everything

Winkie is the gif that keeps on giffing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

I got selected for jury duty earlier this year, for a felony case no less. It was an eye opening experience. If you're a good person who has a basic grasp of concepts like burden of proof, you should be honest and do your duty, because they need as many people like you as possible. If I ever find myself in trouble, I'm never going the trial by jury route if there's an alternative.

So you're saying your fellow jurors were idiots?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Murray lookin good early.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Of course Murray will look awesome.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Frackie Robinson posted:

Dude, I am a horrible person a real piece of poo poo you do not under any circumstance want me deciding your fate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

False start.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol Panther just standing there while Bradford throws

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Thats a really late false start whistle

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

old dog child posted:

I like to imagine you do good a Jane Goodall at anime conventions

someone with a lot of money should pay david attenborough to commentate one

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

But that wasn't the case at all. The purpose of the testimony was to cast doubt on the reliability of the witness. That seems perfectly legitimate to me.

The stats and the mathematician role was to cast doubt on reliability - and Bayesian stats is essentially what people think of when they think of coming to "a logical conclusion". The fact of the matter is while probabilities are in play, there was a true color of the car, and just because the color can be defined by x% or 1 - x% doesnt change the truth of the matter. But that doubt on reliability is now in place, and thus the judge is right to toss out the case - the jury is (possibly) making a conviction by probabilities rather than by what is known (or missing) from the individual case.

Much akin to "Tom Brady probably cheated" You cant base your conviction on that.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My older brother got called and selected for state and federal jury one after another in September. I don't think he worked for like 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

• Locked thread