Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : This thread has taken a turn for the verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Heading there now, Derek.

---

Here's a crap thing I just made. I don't assume any precision in these, just am throwing them out there to model how I think Chris and Sandi look at things.

I suspect Chris and Sandi (and many others) do find themselves wondering on occasion, "Has Star Citizen peaked yet?" If they aren't asking it, they should be. I know the big publishers are. I know gaming journalists are. I know their critics and competitors are.

The truth is, we don't know. Last year was their best ever. Yet January is down by 20%, and the upcoming split of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen into products which must be purchased separately is an especially risky strategic decision. Profoundly so. CIG is no doubt calculating that splitting them up might make it even easier to keep the organization in "The Dream Zone".

quote:

"Now we'll have revenues coming from two separate games! We might even DOUBLE our monthly revenues going forward!"

Splitting the IP is going to finally give CIG a measure of the market viability of Squadron 42 as a standalone property.

If Chris isn't terrified about the possibilities, I think he should be. That project is his Dream Baby, so near and dear to his director's heart and his gaming legacy. He's thrown everything he's got at it.

-- A buttload of recognizable, expensive Hollywood actors
-- Phonebook-sized bloody scripts
-- Craploads of motion capture for different studios (x4)
-- Tens of millions of dollars
-- Endless hyperbole like "If I was doing a AAA Wing Commander for EA, Squadron 42 is going to be that and then some."
-- His wife

Expectations are sky high thanks to CIG hype and Gaming Mag amplification of it. Yet they have precious little to show for Squadron 42-- conspicuously little-- beyond uncanny valley cornball tripe uttered by A List actors who surely assumed at the time they signed on that being in this game was a great career move. It might end up that they've lent their talents to an absolute mega-turkey that ends up solely redeemed by the embarrassment of riches it provides in animated gifs. (I know we're excited by that possibility- but I doubt Gary Oldman and Co will be.)

:gary: --- "PAAAARRP!"

---

What if - after the split - new backers just choose Star Citizen? The project they've heard so much about.

-- The one they can play with lots of friends. (theoretically)
-- The one with VR coming. (theoretically)
-- The one with procedural generation of planets. (theoretically)
-- The one with ship-to-ship combat between dozens of players (theoretically)that allows one party to storm the other and engage in satisfying FPS combat (theoretically) to secure the other party's ship and (theoretically) cargo?

I mean, I know Ben Lesnick is seeing his dream come true with this, but what if Chris learns that Ben and the Wing Commander diehards really are just an endangered species? I mean, if you spend hours with Ben a week, and all he does is prattle on-and-on about Wing Commander, it just might create false impressions about the worldwide demand for said game? What if most everyone who actually wants a spiritual successor to Wing Commander (nerds!) already backed Star Citizen to get it?

Does anyone else think this is a real possibility?

I mean I love me some space games, and have since before SF2: Trade Routes. As it stands, I could not give a rats rear end about Squadron 42. Even if I knew NOTHING about it, and then saw the Bishop speech and the Mark Hamill trailer and read gaming magazine hype pieces, I still would not give one crap for the game. It would take Metacritic scores of 90+ to get me to give it a second look. There is nothing I've seen that would appeal to me.

I don't know if I'm an anomaly in feeling this way. I'd hope for Chris' sake I am, yet knowing what I know about him, I can't.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 1, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Decrepus posted:

I don't know anything about making videogames (much like chris roberts) but doesn't this sort of poo poo usually go onto a model? Are we supposed to believe that clothes are going to be their own entities held on by shear forces?

From what I've seen digging through mod files of finished games like TES, Fallout, and Saints Row, the way they do it is typically with the body model, add the clothes on top of it and usually edit out the extraneous polygons from the covered body. That way, the clothing can conform to the skeleton and body sliders, as well as have some continuity when it comes to skin textures and tattoo layers and the like. Even the fitted mesh clothing in Second Life does this, where the clothes are off made to fit certain body meshes, since there is a great variety of body meshes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Are you ready to shop 'til you drop in the PU???*

*Store Credits Not Valid

Brown in my favorite color. Have you ever heard of the browncoa....*gets murdered*

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how they just think it's all Illfonic's fault without much backing to it, but when you point out CIG's litany of fuckups they say it's all assumptions.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Wouldn't it be easy for CIG to say, "Hey, gaming magazines, we'll give you full access to S42 and our offices, but you have to sign a waiver saying you won't discuss the plot in your magazine. Also, here are some photos and videos you can use in your report."

They keep claiming no game footage has been shown to preserve the plot, but surely 5 minutes of dog fighting/FPSing wouldn't spoil a gosh darn thing.

So, the only conclusion is that CIG has nothing ready to show as have been stated ad nauseum. I can wrap my brain around it, backers think reporters coming out with just as much knowledge as they have (none) and everything is just fine.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I love how they just think it's all Illfonic's fault without much backing to it, but when you point out CIG's litany of fuckups they say it's all assumptions.
Illfonic failed CIG. Saitek failed CIG. Beer failed CIG.

Everybody fails CIG but CIG.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Splitting the IP is going to finally give CIG a measure of the market viability of Squadron 42 as a standalone property.

If Chris isn't terrified about the possibilities, I think he should be. That project is his Dream Baby, so near and dear to his director's heart and his gaming legacy. He's thrown everything he's got at it.

I'm really looking forward to Chris Roberts realising that everyone who could possibly give a poo poo about a single player Wing Commander remake have already bought into SC.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

I'm really looking forward to Chris Roberts realising that everyone who could possibly give a poo poo about a single player Wing Commander remake have already bought into SC.

Were the first wave before all this MMO bullshit, even.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I don't think any actor would believe a video game to be some career move, they just got the cash and did the lines

The split makes sense in the scenario that new backers pay for the PU stuff, and then when SQ42 is released they'll pay extra for it

I don't think anybody's told Chris how much of the game remains unfinished

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

G0RF posted:

[b]I mean I love me some space games, and have since before SF2: Trade Routes.

Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, and that was a frickin' awesome amazing space game and one of my all time favorites. I actually still have my original box somewhere (floppies and all).

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Star citizen : This thread has taken a turn for the verse

I love that word, so verseatile

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I just read they began denying refunds.

Want to see the best screenshot I have of playing Star Citizen?

10/10 game, would recommend. :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

G0RF posted:

Illfonic failed CIG. Saitek failed CIG. Beer failed CIG.

Everybody fails CIG but CIG.

What did Saitek do? I don't think I've heard about that.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kimsemus posted:

...so did they free you?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

OMG Your free! I still dont know what you were not-free from.. but your free!

And seriously, congrats on getting your money back.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

...so did they free you?

Yep, totally cashed out a few months ago. Basically just told them I backed in 2012, highlighted a bunch of design promises they didn't keep, missed deadlines, etc, and they gave me all my money back.

And they did it after I transferred everything off the account that I had traded for and had no refund value and put it on a sock puppet account. :toot:

At one time, long ago, I sort of believed this game might happen, now I'm just sad to see they've concocted some bullshit excuse as to why they will no longer provide people still trapped refunds. Sucks man.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't think any actor would believe a video game to be some career move

What about a wanna be actor? Even if they are the best businesswoman in the world and have been since they were a little girl.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 1, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, no 10ftc? I guess someone did finally inform Chris-R of how bad the last one was received.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

So, no 10ftc? I guess someone did finally inform Chris-R of how bad the last one was received.

3pm PST

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SirPhoebos posted:

i think its 1500pst based on an above post

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Cheese talk again: if anyone seriously thinks that "American cheese" is synonymous with Kraft singles they had best stay the gently caress out of the Midwest lest they get lynched by pissed off farmers. There are some seriously badass American cheeses that will absolutely crush basically all comers (especially in goat dairy) except in one respect, and that is raw milk cheeses over 30 days.

The American USDA has this really weird hate boner for raw dairy as a whole. I mean, okay, I get it - raw milk has some real challenges with it, especially in the large scale setting where the realities of factory farming mean that contamination is unavoidable. Because of that, raw milk isn't economical and you're never going to see it compete in the large scale with pasteurized milk on cost AND be safe. It can compete with folks that don't mind paying 6 bucks for a gallon of milk, but a lot of people would balk at that. I get all of that.

But none of that is a reasonable excuse for basically legislating aged raw milk cheese out of existence, and practically doing the same to fresh raw milk cheese. Most French dairies actively refuse to make cheese with pasteurized milk be used they maintain that the milk is spoiled, and furthermore any harmful bacteria will be sorted out by the cheese making process. And their health records say they are correct.

gently caress the USDA for that, I want proper aged raw brie and cheddar. :argh:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I don't think any actor would believe a video game to be some career move, they just got the cash and did the lines

The split makes sense in the scenario that new backers pay for the PU stuff, and then when SQ42 is released they'll pay extra for it

I don't think anybody's told Chris how much of the game remains unfinished

I imagine Chris coming into the office everyday, like a kid on Christmas morning, all excited that maybe today he'll at last finally be able to play Star Citizen, and Sandi and Ben have to gently disappoint him by making up excuses why he can't play it, like the computers were getting fumigated or that NASA needed to borrow the HOTAS, but maybe hopefully tomorrow for sure it'll be ready for him :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anime
free kimsemus
recipes
star citizen bad

okay I hit the high points

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kimsemus posted:

Yep, totally cashed out a few months ago. Basically just told them I backed in 2012, highlighted a bunch of design promises they didn't keep, missed deadlines, etc, and they gave me all my money back.

And they did it after I transferred everything off the account that I had traded for and had no refund value and put it on a sock puppet account. :toot:

At one time, long ago, I sort of believed this game might happen, now I'm just sad to see they've concocted some bullshit excuse as to why they will no longer provide people still trapped refunds. Sucks man.

"Free Kimsemus" has become a meme here, I was making a lovely joke

Congrats on your :10bux:x40 back man, hope you're happy now that you've ruined Chris's dream

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

I suspect Chris and Sandi (and many others) do find themselves wondering on occasion, "Has Star Citizen peaked yet?" If they aren't asking it, they should be. I know the big publishers are. I know gaming journalists are. I know their critics and competitors are.

If what we've seen so far is any indicator, no, they don't think it's peaked yet or is going to. They think it's a cash cow they can milk forever. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing trips to Monaco, expensive houses, Porsches, etc. They're just living a lavish lifestyle while trying to break into Hollywood.

G0RF posted:

I think he thinks, in some deluded manchild way, that it's all going to happen. He strikes me as someone so wound up in the game that he doesn't quite see and/or care about all the other rotten business.

G0RF posted:

I mean, I know Ben Lesnick is seeing his dream come true with this, but what if Chris learns that Ben and the Wing Commander diehards really are just an endangered species? I mean, if you spend hours with Ben a week, and all he does is prattle on-and-on about Wing Commander, it just might create false impressions about the worldwide demand for said game? What if most everyone who actually wants a spiritual successor to Wing Commander (nerds!) already backed Star Citizen to get it?

Does anyone else think this is a real possibility?

YES. This. Absolutely. I think Chris is obsessed with reinventing Wing Commander and has surrounded himself with fawning fanboys and thinks the whole world is like that.

G0RF posted:

I don't know if I'm an anomaly in feeling this way. I'd hope for Chris' sake I am, yet knowing what I know about him, I can't.

No, you're no anomaly.

Also, I misread the graph and thought it said "erotic public confidence in the project," which is fairly accurate anyway when it comes to whales and white knights.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Berious posted:

I love that word, so verseatile

No adverse affects.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

You need a Rhodium account to see this

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fuzzknot posted:

NO. Just NO.

MOLE POBLANO

4 cups chicken broth
6 mulato chiles (may substitue ancho)
4 pasilla negro chiles (may substitute 1 teaspoon ground red chili powder)
2 ancho chiles
3/4 pound (4 or 5) Roma tomatoes, cored (do not chop)
1/4 pound (3 or 4) small tomatilloes, husked (do not chop)
2 (1/4-inch thick) slices white onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled (do not chop)
1 (6- to 7-inch) corn tortilla, quartered
1 slice (1 ounce) French bread
2 tablespoons raisins
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup salted dry-roasted peanuts (if only unsalted are available, sprinkle with dash salt)
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons hulled raw green pumpkin seeds
1/2 teaspoon comino seeds
4 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 ounces Mexcan chocolate (Ibarra recommended)

Pour the broth and 2 cups water into large pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and cover.

Rinse the chiles; cut open; and remove seeds, stems, and veins. Toast them lightly in a large dry skillet for several seconds a side, taking care not to burn them. Immediately put them into the pot with the broth.

Pour 1 tablespoon vegetable oil into the skillet. Add the tomatoes and tomatilloes and cook 5-6 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add to the broth.

Cook the onion and garlic in the skillet 4-5 minutes or until they begin to brown and add to broth. Add raisins and cinnamon stick to broth. Stir broth to mix and cook, uncovered, over low heat about 20 minutes or until chiles and vegetables are soft. Remove pot from heat and cool.

Put roasted peanuts in a bowl. In a medium dry skillet, toast almonds 2-3 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Add to peanuts. In the same skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds a few seconds until they start to pop around the pan; then add to peanuts. Toast the comino seeds 2-3 seconds and add to peanuts. Cool the nut mixture. Add cloves, allspice, sugar, and salt. Pour nut mixture into blender and grind as finely as possible. Pour back into bowl and set aside.

Remove the cinnamon stick from the broth and discard. Pour the broth and vegetable mixture into the blender in batches and purée as smoothly as possible. As the batches of mole come out of the blender, pour them into a large bowl. When all the mole has been blended, wipe the pot clean.

Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil in the pot. Slowly pour in the mole and bring to boil, stirring, and cook 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chocolate and stir well till chocolate melts. If mole is too thick, add more chicken broth. Simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Mole is ready to serve, but it is better if left to sit in refrigerator overnight and reheated the next day.

Mole poblano, seriously?

Well, props to you if you can make it happen. My grandma used to make it but one day she finally said "gently caress this poo poo!" and began buying a mole base and then fixing it up. She basically lived in the kitchen and even so it was just too much of a hassle for her.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 1, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:perfect:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

"Free Kimsemus" has become a meme here, I was making a lovely joke

Congrats on your :10bux:x40 back man, hope you're happy now that you've ruined Chris's dream

I will only be truly free once I have my day in space court. :toot:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaerael posted:

You need a Rhodium account to see this

You need a Kryptonium account to see this post.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BEGONE REDDIT FILTH!

You need a big dick to see this post

Hey sandi

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kimsemus posted:

That wouldn't even buy a waste bin at the CIG office.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Coolguye posted:

Cheese talk again: if anyone seriously thinks that "American cheese" is synonymous with Kraft singles they had best stay the gently caress out of the Midwest lest they get lynched by pissed off farmers. There are some seriously badass American cheeses that will absolutely crush basically all comers (especially in goat dairy) except in one respect, and that is raw milk cheeses over 30 days.

The American USDA has this really weird hate boner for raw dairy as a whole. I mean, okay, I get it - raw milk has some real challenges with it, especially in the large scale setting where the realities of factory farming mean that contamination is unavoidable. Because of that, raw milk isn't economical and you're never going to see it compete in the large scale with pasteurized milk on cost AND be safe. It can compete with folks that don't mind paying 6 bucks for a gallon of milk, but a lot of people would balk at that. I get all of that.

But none of that is a reasonable excuse for basically legislating aged raw milk cheese out of existence, and practically doing the same to fresh raw milk cheese. Most French dairies actively refuse to make cheese with pasteurized milk be used they maintain that the milk is spoiled, and furthermore any harmful bacteria will be sorted out by the cheese making process. And their health records say they are correct.

gently caress the USDA for that, I want proper aged raw brie and cheddar. :argh:

lol @ farmers ya'll get back in bed with your cousin cause I ain't scar-

hold on guys, a guy dressed as a scarecrow is knocking at my door...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Unfunny Poster posted:

You need a Kryptonium account to see this post.

You need an Unobtainium account to see this post.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Well exactly. Good midwest deli cheeses take up a big part of my fridge at any point, and makes a loving phenomenal cheesesteak.

gently caress I want one tonight.

gently caress we're having mexican.

gently caress.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Welp, I just got BANNED from CIG.

I sent lowtax's offer to a whale with over 9,000 posts who got banned.

Apparently that counts as a permaban offense.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Decrepus posted:

That wouldn't even buy a waste bin at the CIG office.

But it would buy a picture of a wastebin, with the promise to deliver said trash receptacle at a later date. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

Newsflash: Dastardly goonie (tm) defrauds CIG and ultimately causes SC to fail!

• Locked thread