Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Diatom posted:

Thanks for sharing that! It was some of my better work.

Then why did you delete it? Also, why have you spent $2500-$4999 on imaginary internet spaceships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

adebisi lives posted:

Lol wait it gets better.

my lifestyle and retirement plan is basically similar although I'm more resigned to the "die in poverty in a ditch" outcome than this guy is apparently

Diatom
Mar 27, 2009
I never...

Diatom fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

I think Ben's story is the saddest one in this whole saga. Tying your entire identity, even into adulthood, around a video game that people played a bit, enjoyed, and moved on. Keeping it alive on a website long, long after the world had forgotten it. Then getting hired by your hero just to find out he's an inept autist. Trying to keep the faith against all available evidence; becoming a despot in defense of a useless man who's nothing like you imagined. Wearing that loving necklace.

Ben is the Kylo Ren of Star Citizen. A fat Kylo Ren.

Yeah.

If Ben found a magic lamp in 2012, rubbed it, and had a genie pop out and grant him 3 wishes, he would've asked, "I wish that Chris Roberts had $100,000,000 to make a successor to Wing Commander! And that I could work for him! And that my job title was Director of Spaceships!"

His wishes have been granted, but its all playing out like some cautionary Greek myth, the kind that ends with, "So be careful what you wish for- you just might get it!"

Whether this is tragedy or comedy is up for debate but it sure looks sad to me.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Diatom posted:

Mistakenly used that account for vitriol.

Which account do you normally use for vitriol?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Diatom posted:

Worked at Amazon at the beginning... 5K is pocket change. Why do you care?

Mistakenly used that account for vitriol. Too many creepy stalkers take internet insults personally and I could easily be doxxed.

Haha you're an absolute loving moron.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Which account do you normally use for vitriol?

Also is your vitriol always so awkward and over elaborate?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

hello peter ':pgabz:' gabriel, i liked your video, but due to your excellent choice of music I was unable to hear the soothing voices, so i'll have to rate it 5 star citizens out of 6

No worries, I understand :)
The music is some of my buddies so it's OK, I like listening to that song sometimes and I am glad you like it :)

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
[quote="G0RF" post="455165015"]
Yeah.

If Ben found a magic lamp in 2012, rubbed it, and had a genie pop out and grant him 3 wishes, he would've asked, "I wish that Chris Roberts had $100,000,000 to make a successor to Wing Commander! And that I could work for him! And that my job title was Director of Spaceships!"

....... And a big gently caress off family bucket of KFC plus a butter fountain

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

....... And a big gently caress off family bucket of KFC plus a butter fountain

No bucket needed dude Ben does it all fountain style

Diatom
Mar 27, 2009

Chalks posted:

Also is your vitriol always so awkward and over elaborate?

Yes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: disregard, I suck cocks

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

e: disregard, I suck cocks

That would take some work to disregard, friend

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That would take some work to disregard, friend

They were picayune cocks.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I'm going up the 'verse, nerds, don't you wanna go?
I'm going up the 'verse, nerds, don't you wanna go?
I'm going to some place where you've never been before.

I'm going, I'm going where the ships jank all the time.
Well, I'm going where the ships jank all the time.
You can ram each other, gently caress you I got mine.

I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away.
I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away.
All this fussing and fighting, man, you know I sure can't stay.

Now Sandi, pack your leaving trunk, you know we've got to leave today,
Just exactly where we're going I cannot say, but
We might even leave the USA,
'Cause there's a brand new game that I want to play.

No use of you running, or screaming and crying,
Don't care if you're homeless, long as I got mine

to the tune of this

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314074/10ftd3-no-retaliator-commercial

So, some controversy has sprouted out of the latest 10 for the dev, namely that the Retaliator commercial has been cancelled. Who gives a poo poo, you may ask?

rear admiral [$250-$499]

high admiral - [$1000-$2499]

wing commander - [$10,000 - $14,999]

Not to misrepresent things, there are plenty of scrubs in the thread praising CIG for "prioritizing". But I'm gonna keep posting the slow process of whale disillusionment because I find it fascinating.

kekekekekkekekekkekeee

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 19, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywQTMG3Wco&t=15s

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

G0RF posted:

Yeah.

His wishes have been granted, but its all playing out like some cautionary Greek myth, the kind that ends with, "So be careful what you wish for- you just might get it!"

Whether this is tragedy or comedy is up for debate but it sure looks sad to me.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat, I was kind of hoping for a commercial for that thing. Not necessarily because it's cool, but because I would have been interested in seeing how they made that unflyable turd look like it has a place in the game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBi6nHCYx8

I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right
I'm lord of all darkness, I'm Queen of the night
I've got the power—
Now do the march of the black queen
My life is in your hands, I'll fo and I'll fie
I'll be what you make me, I'll do what you like
I'll be your bad boy - I'll be your bad boy
I'll do the march of the Black Queen

Walking true to style
She's vulgar and she's vile
Fie-Fo the Black Queen, beat you till you cry
She plots, and she schemes, she'll divorce your sorry hide

Forget your sing-alongs and your lullabies
KFC family bucket, and 2 tons of fries
Dance with the devil, beat with the band
when the game burns and crashes they'll understand
But now it's time to be gone forever , forever, lalalalalala- aie-aie-aie-eyai-ah-ahh AAAH!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314074/10ftd3-no-retaliator-commercial

Not to misrepresent things, there are plenty of scrubs in the thread praising CIG for "prioritizing". But I'm gonna keep posting the slow process of whale disillusionment because I find it fascinating.

First full stretch goal dropped?

I'm sure there will be plenty more. Karl this is your fault, you only give them $5000.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So, some controversy has sprouted out of the latest 10 for the dev, namely that the Retaliator commercial has been cancelled. Who gives a poo poo, you may ask?

Yeah, I read that earlier and felt the same way. The argument always is..."but but but when they have more time." They'll never have more time unless they finish the game. And at that point what's the purpose of completing that particular stretch goal anyways?

So private servers, retaliator commercial...wonder what is next on the chopping block.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A different direction: into oblivion.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

drat, I was kind of hoping for a commercial for that thing. Not necessarily because it's cool, but because I would have been interested in seeing how they made that unflyable turd look like it has a place in the game.

They are done loving it up with the Cutlass commercial

Also I would have smacked David Ladyman in the face for that 12 year old kid quality of the Cutlass brochure.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This is actually the 14th time the page number has ended in "69"

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
So lemme get this straight.

Not only are they loving the dog on the whole 'game' part of the project, they now can't even be arsed anymore to deliver on the space .jpegs front (Retaliator commercial) that they harped on during the entirety of last and most of previous year?. :laffo:

Man...this whole thing really is an exercise in suspension of disbelief. Just how far can you push idiots to part with their wallets, when we start loving up even on the one front that has brought us in money and that is relatively-speaking much simpler.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I still haven't figured out what those lasers (?) firing (?) at the planet are supposed to be.

Also, an asteroid belt in low orbit? A++++++ would immerse again

That giant lazor beam is Hollywood Terraformer by order of Croberts cinematic feel of the game.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314106/customer-service-is-it-a-joke

Both $500-$999

Is CIG just completely asleep at the wheel right now? This is all happening on the general board at RSI. I mean, I'd at least expect alot more Lesnick and Huckaby damage control posts at this point. It's getting out of control.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The funniest thing is that they shouldn't be wasting precious time doing stupid commercials but they went and committed themselves to it as a stretch goal and now despite not needing it to sell jpegs anymore they can't back out without pissing the stupid backers.

I wish the translation of "cada cavadela cada minhoca" would make sense in this stupid moon language because it's the perfect proverb for CIG.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CrazyLoon posted:

Not only are they loving the dog on the whole 'game' part of the project, they now can't even be arsed anymore to deliver on the space .jpegs front (Retaliator commercial) that they harped on during the entirety of last and most of previous year?. :laffo:

Man...this whole thing really is an exercise in suspension of disbelief. Just how far can you push idiots to part with their wallets, when we start loving up even on the one front that has brought us in money and that is relatively-speaking much simpler.

Well, they did provide a pretty convincing and concise reason for it

You see, the Retaliator as it came to make more sense to go into the multi-crew release that would be when they would show it off. So they don’t necessarily need a commercial for that. That’s a big part of production is they're always evaluating what the needs of the business are, what the needs of what they're delivering are, what marketing is requesting from them. They’re still developing a lot of the stuff so I know they’re always working on, Sandi is working with her team and with development and they’re always kind of going back and forth about what makes sense and what would help us see the content they're working on.

So things change all the time and specifically like commercials which they were working on when they first got here. It was kind of getting the scope of what they really wanted to show and what resource they need for it because they want to keep it minimal, they want to show us the cool stuff with keeping minimal resources. So that one, it did not happen. But it’s because they showed the Retaliator to us in another way

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Is CIG just completely asleep at the wheel right now? This is all happening on the general board at RSI. I mean, I'd at least expect alot more Lesnick and Huckaby damage control posts at this point. It's getting out of control.

lmao I was just going to post that.

Refresh that thread and read "Gagrin"'s post in regards to a "certain group".

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

CrazyLoon posted:

That's thirty jpegs a second for multiple minutes! Why would you want to just throw 3600 jpegs on Youtube when you could sell them each for hundreds of dollars?!

You are not the best saleswoman alive you are not qualified to cast aspersions.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I watched someone try to stream star citizen the other day for a little bit and they had a pretty horrible time trying to get one ship inside of another. I'm not going to watch the whole thing but I clicked around a bit and he spends pretty much the whole 3 hour stream trying to break the wings off his spaceship and then fly into the loading bay of some other ship. Around 2hrs 40min he almost gets it then the physics freakout and he looks pretty sad.

It looks like the collision boxes do change, but everything is too jittery for things to interact that closely. I have no idea how they are going to get any sort of carrier ship working.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

They are done loving it up with the Cutlass commercial

Also I would have smacked David Ladyman in the face for that 12 year old kid quality of the Cutlass brochure.

Seriously, that Cutlass commercial was great, and was basically 100% "Things You Can't Do In A Cutlass" except for the part where she got out of it.

I'm not super upset about them saying private servers are the last thing on their minds right now. That kind of makes sense - obviously building the game is gonna take priority, and they never technically said they weren't going to do it.

Similarly, I can see how there's almost no priority to make a Retaliator commercial (and the commercials are really unnecessary tbh), but it was an explicit stretch goal and I think it's important to note that instead of saying "later" they are (for the first time, to my knowledge) "No. We're flat out not doing that."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I take it you've never been to the American Southeast.

Gonna spring into the defense of Florida here. Our racists are mostly clustered around Lake county, so there's a seriously cosmopolitan grouping about 5 miles from I4 that decends into outright KKK country the further out to Gatorville swampland that you get. As long as you stay within about 10 miles of a Starbucks, you're fine.

Things get weirder in Miami, though.

Edit: Another space game gets released while Star Citizen lurches on;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/ - Evochron Legacy, another in the single-man evochron line. it's entirely sandbox, so if you're looking for a plot, you'll be out of luck. It's had planetary landings for years, though.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 19, 2016

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

rear admiral [$250-$499]

wing commander - [$10,000 - $14,999]

kekekekekkekekekkekeee

Would dropping a stretchgoal not entitle backers to get a refund? IIRC there was some trouble with game preorders some time ago where a game publisher advertised a game with certain features and then released it without it and gamers who preordered were entitled to get a refund because of the dropped features.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Wow! Very realistic wake physics! CIG continues to impress!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

what the gently caress customer service do these people need there is no loving game to require customer service for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Chin posted:

Wow! Very realistic wake physics! CIG continues to impress!

I'd rather have a cockpit view of that other ship when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Gonna spring into the defense of Florida here. Our racists are mostly clustered around Lake county, so there's a seriously cosmopolitan grouping about 5 miles from I4 that decends into outright KKK country the further out to Gatorville swampland that you get. As long as you stay within about 10 miles of a Starbucks, you're fine.

Things get weirder in Miami, though.

Things get pretty bleak in South Brevard, too though. From Palm Bay down to West Palm can be a bit of a nightmare near I-95, but gets better the closer to the beach you get.

You're pretty much dead on, though. Navigate Starbucks to Starbucks and you should be okay. Except for the panhandle. Nobody really ever knows what's going on up there.

• Locked thread