Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MeLKoR posted:

Let's be fair, I "like" DSmart but he is an enormous rear end in a top hat and it's not like it bothers him people think that. He goes out of his way to apear a complete bastard at times. If all you have been getting for months is the coolaid hating DS will come naturally.

There's no doubt about that. That said, if I had to spend 1 hour drinking at a pub with either Derek or Sandi, I'm pretty sure I'd be joking and laughing through one of those encounters, and clawing at the walls 9 minutes into the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Let's be fair, I "like" DSmart but he is an enormous rear end in a top hat and it's not like it bothers him people think that. He goes out of his way to apear a complete bastard at times. If all you have been getting for months is the coolaid hating DS will come naturally.

You should link the guy to this: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review/1/

We're not exactly a Derek Smart fanclub here, he's just able to roll with the punches and provide entertainment for us. Frankly the fact that DS has won so many people over is a testament to the fact that as long as you've got a sense of humour about things you'll do fine here.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Derpy.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Major toms videos have the best commenters defending this shitshow, observe.

Thanks for your vids major tom.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fuctifino posted:

I think CIG had better announce another sale

Can I buy their empty pizza boxes for an art project. I'm going to recreate the statue of liberty in its full size, but upside down. I think only CIG have enough boxes for the project.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

who would win in fencing DS or Ben?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

redwalrus posted:

The ships are distinct and have similar design? I think you need a reminder.

That's like the perfect example where it has gone right. Look at the silhouettes of the ships - they are distinct, yet you see the use of the same elements between them since they are from the same manufacturer. That is seriously one of the cases where they have done it right, that's what a "ship line-up" from a manufacturer should look like.

Don't ask me how that ship from that contest fits in there, it's 100% different in every way and it's supposed to be from the same manufacturer which is crap.

Seriously, let's not mock the few things they've gotten right, there's plenty that has gone wrong.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Derek Smart can be a cool dude, he can be an rear end in a top hat, he can be funny and he can be overly sensitive. It's like Mr. Smart is a human being or some poo poo. Dude just puts himself out there and rolls the dice, the world always needs folks who are brave enough to do that.

I think he's doing good work on this whole thing. And while I've never really liked his games I think his opinions on games themselves are normally pretty on-point and well put.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Awesome, I sent him a message instructing him to create a reddit alt so you can speak with each other. I don't have platinum so please PM me on reddit /u/sower_of_discord or I'll just post his alt contact info in the thread once he replies to me. (I don't know his timezone, that might take a while)

He has nothing to hide from me, fyi. I could give a gently caress about who or what is. I have zero skin except for laughs in this game.

same name on reddit as here.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Seraph was hounded from this thread for being a literal paedophile apologist and all round idiot.
Obviously but he doesn't know that story. I remember how scared I was when I joined SA, if you know beforehand that you are coming in with the stigma of being on the other side of a spat with goons I'd probably think I'd get banned on sight as well. You don't really get the feeling for what will land you in trouble just looking in from the outside.

Scruffpuff posted:

There's no doubt about that. That said, if I had to spend 1 hour drinking at a pub with either Derek or Sandi, I'm pretty sure I'd be joking and laughing through one of those encounters, and clawing at the walls 9 minutes into the other.
Oh poo poo, no questions about that. I think DS problem is that his "internet warrior" isn't just an online persona, he's always like that. Which would make for some pretty funny company provided you don't get into an altercation with him.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Citizens make the mistake of thinking that because they are a hive mind echo chamber that everyone on the other side is too. There's only one side of this taking video games way too seriously and it's not us.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Iglocska posted:

That's like the perfect example where it has gone right. Look at the silhouettes of the ships - they are distinct, yet you see the use of the same elements between them since they are from the same manufacturer. That is seriously one of the cases where they have done it right, that's what a "ship line-up" from a manufacturer should look like.

Don't ask me how that ship from that contest fits in there, it's 100% different in every way and it's supposed to be from the same manufacturer which is crap.

Seriously, let's not mock the few things they've gotten right, there's plenty that has gone wrong.

Iono man. I think many of them look stupid.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .
There is some sort of rally being held by the Fuehrer in LA next week and the final plans will be put into place as to how they will drip feed the news that most of what has been promised is now to be dropped or pushed back indefinitely. Those not in the Cult will have seen this happening these past couple of weeks as I said it would. The odd Whale will kick off and that will be that .

I hope there are riots as the drip feed of disappointment is unending. Although Homeless Santa can tell shitizens private servers are not in their lifetime and they're still anticipating private servers so who knows really.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

70+k$/day is great. They only panic sale when it starts drifting towards 20k/day. They might have a sale next week though, depends how January looks figure wise and I haven't checked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

who would win in fencing DS or Ben?

In dick fencing? Definitely DS. I suspect Ben won't be able to unsheathe or even reach his weapon.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Obviously but he doesn't know that story. I remember how scared I was when I joined SA, if you know beforehand that you are coming in with the stigma of being on the other side of a spat with goons I'd probably think I'd get banned on sight as well. You don't really get the feeling for what will land you in trouble just looking in from the outside.

Oh poo poo, no questions about that. I think DS problem is that his "internet warrior" isn't just an online persona, he's always like that. Which would make for some pretty funny company provided you don't get into an altercation with him.

It's weird, I guess different people have different impressions of the site from the outside. I discovered SA via the front page, reading things like photoshop fridays and comedy goldmine articles meant I've always seen it as a comedy forum with pretty strict rules about posting quality.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Because he's fat.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

More 80s time

I wear my space helmet at night
So I can, so I can
Take 12 seconds to get out of bed
So I can, so I can
Block vision all around my head

Now goons might laugh at me
But they're too blind to see that
We all trust CIG
So to the goons I say

You'll rue the day when the guys in JPEGS soar
Can't get away when the guys in JPEGS soar
You can't escape me
I'll rule the day when I fly my JPEG

So I can, so I can
Multiturret in my buddy's Con
So I can, so I can
Pretend that there's nothing going wrong

Now goons might laugh at me
But they're too blind to see that
We all trust CIG
So to the goons I say

You'll rue the day when the guys in JPEGS soar
Can't get away when the guys in JPEGS soar
You can't escape me
I'll rule the day when I fly my JPEG

etc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

And now for something completely different...

I'm writing this on behalf of a mythical "moderate backer", he didn't ask me to but after speaking with him in the last couple of days I feel like it might be worth a shot especially because he has been trolling this thread pretty hilariously during the last week, which is how we ended up talking.

The Good: he is heavily displeased with the way CIG handles poo poo, the moderators in the RSI forums and reddit and the Star Citizen community in general which he agrees are complete nutters. He claims to have tried to speak against the current but realized that if he kept up he was going to be ostracized and lumped in with the goons so he has been keeping his doubts and complaints to himself. He has also revealed to be a pretty competent troll and if it wasn't for the fact that we're on different sides of the trenches I get the feeling he would fit right in.

The Bad: although he is not as deluded as the rest and is fully aware that something is rotten in the state of Denmark he is still largely a believer but the fact that he has no one to talk to probably doesn't help in that department.

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

He keeps up with the thread more or less but the main reason he hasn't joined SA yet is that he gets the feeling that our moderation is the same as reddit but in reverse, that he would get "the Seraph treatment" or that we would chase him away just because he isn't 100% making GBS threads on CIG and still wishes the project to succeed. He didn't ask me to do this but since some of you once in a while talk about being willing to pay for some redditor or other to join I thought he'd be a great candidate. I'd pay for it myself but I'm just a poor war orphan slaving away in a coltan mine, if any of you deep pocket whales is willing to stretch a helping hand to a proto-goon speak up and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand maybe he's an even bigger troll than I give him credit for and he just managed to subliminary sweet talk me into this and once he joins he'll make me look like a fool. :shrug:

e: this is a different person from that "appeal to goons" guy I posted a couple of weeks ago

If this is Citizen##### then he's welcome as far as I care

Dude makes some p good effort trolls

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

I think there's something wonky with their pledge counter, because weekly view shows less than $0 being raised in the 49th week of last year. Incidentally, it also displays as if there were 53 weeks in 2015.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Derek Smart has a far better sense of humour than I expected. He's obviously constantly only one wrong word away from a crazy wall of :words:, but has an ability to laugh at himself at times that I didn't expect. If Star Citizen goes the way I expect I think there's a certain irony in the current adoration Chris Roberts receives compared to the bile directed (and encouraged by CIG) at Derek.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Wise Learned Man posted:

I think there's something wonky with their pledge counter, because weekly view shows less than $0 being raised in the 49th week of last year. Incidentally, it also displays as if there were 53 weeks in 2015.

Lousy Smarch weather.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR posted:

And now for something completely different...

I'm writing this on behalf of a mythical "moderate backer", he didn't ask me to but after speaking with him in the last couple of days I feel like it might be worth a shot especially because he has been trolling this thread pretty hilariously during the last week, which is how we ended up talking.

The Good: he is heavily displeased with the way CIG handles poo poo, the moderators in the RSI forums and reddit and the Star Citizen community in general which he agrees are complete nutters. He claims to have tried to speak against the current but realized that if he kept up he was going to be ostracized and lumped in with the goons so he has been keeping his doubts and complaints to himself. He has also revealed to be a pretty competent troll and if it wasn't for the fact that we're on different sides of the trenches I get the feeling he would fit right in.

The Bad: although he is not as deluded as the rest and is fully aware that something is rotten in the state of Denmark he is still largely a believer but the fact that he has no one to talk to probably doesn't help in that department.

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

He keeps up with the thread more or less but the main reason he hasn't joined SA yet is that he gets the feeling that our moderation is the same as reddit but in reverse, that he would get "the Seraph treatment" or that we would chase him away just because he isn't 100% making GBS threads on CIG and still wishes the project to succeed. He didn't ask me to do this but since some of you once in a while talk about being willing to pay for some redditor or other to join I thought he'd be a great candidate. I'd pay for it myself but I'm just a poor war orphan slaving away in a coltan mine, if any of you deep pocket whales is willing to stretch a helping hand to a proto-goon speak up and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand maybe he's an even bigger troll than I give him credit for and he just managed to subliminary sweet talk me into this and once he joins he'll make me look like a fool. :shrug:

e: this is a different person from that "appeal to goons" guy I posted a couple of weeks ago
Is it Citizen__217712?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Is it Citizen__217712?

It's Zealot.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

Is it Citizen__217712?

Gotta be

Only other candidate would be TheRoadbeer, and he's not funny

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

It's Zealot.

He could start a Stimpire thread

In like A/T or D&D

Not sure I'd read it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
My bet would be Cymelion.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

He could start a Stimpire thread

In like A/T or D&D

Not sure I'd read it

I'll wait for the graphic novel.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It couldn't be Rajafa could it? :tinfoil:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I've been reading this thread for a while but there's one thing I'm curious about and don't really understand: where did the PAAARP thing come from?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It comes from the :gary: facial expression that makes it look like he's making that noise.

You might think we photoshopped that Gary Oldman face but actually it's genuinely the product of CIG's high fidelity development efforts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also onomatopoeia for an air horn.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

There's a snowstorm coming to my area and the power is bound to be out for a while, what should I do to simulate shitposting in this thread during the blizzard?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

All :gary: and no :gary: makes Chris :gary: :gary::gary:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

70+k$/day is great. They only panic sale when it starts drifting towards 20k/day. They might have a sale next week though, depends how January looks figure wise and I haven't checked.

How the bloody gently caress are they making $70k a day. Who is giving them that sort of money on a daily basis.

When it all falls apart we're going to find out those figures are total horseshit. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Happy Sisyphus posted:

There's a snowstorm coming to my area and the power is bound to be out for a while, what should I do to simulate shitposting in this thread during the blizzard?

stimpire fanfic

E: or just huff copious amounts of solvent for the same effect as reading this thread

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

I'll wait for the graphic novel.

How about you pen the pitch for his Kickstarter and we'll take bets on how long until it's shut down.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I guess I just don't understand how being a goon and supporting the game are mutually exclusive. The last thing I worried about joining here (and I joined SA because this place has the most unbiased discussion of the game) is being bullied out. Hell, I'm a backer and I rag on this poo poo show of a project all the time but will sing its praises when the time comes.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .
There is some sort of rally being held by the Fuehrer in LA next week and the final plans will be put into place as to how they will drip feed the news that most of what has been promised is now to be dropped or pushed back indefinitely. Those not in the Cult will have seen this happening these past couple of weeks as I said it would. The odd Whale will kick off and that will be that .

It will be interesting to see how many 'new' reddit accounts will pop up after this all goes down in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Update from the RSI site:

Controlling Your Spaceman

"We've made mention over the years about the technology we're using, and how we've got top-notch developers all over the world making things happen that have never happened before. In a recent broadcast, Disco Lando made a statement that really cuts to the heart of our efforts here at CIG: "In Star Citizen, you're not controlling your spaceship. You're controlling your spaceman controlling your spaceship." This philosophy has guided our efforts from the very beginning, and we'd like to take some time to dive into this with you, our loyal backers."

"To fully understand our goals here, where you are controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship, we had to dig into some of the most fundamental questions, such as "what is consciousness", "how do brain signals translate into the nerve impulses required to make a simple motion, such as your hand closing", and "how does the greater energy expenditure of a heterotrophic organism translate into higher cognitive function?" Fortunately, our modified version of CryEngine is already coded with the answers to these, and many other, fundamental questions related to controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship."

"Since we had the foresight to settle on such a perfect engine for the game we envisioned, it was really a simple matter to translate that into you controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship. Let us take you through the step-by-step of what the code is simulating each time you log into the 'Verse!"

- Your logon and password are parsed by the system and, if valid, we spin up an instance of a "virtual mind" - this mind has no independent thought (our NPCs will be able to think independently using a proprietary AI algorithm years beyond our competition) and is simply waiting for you to inhabit its mindspace
- We then "wake up" the virtual mind. What many of you think is a canned animation is actually a complex simulation of a fully adult human male with no history or state of mind waking up as if coming to life for the first time - since these are his first steps ever, this is why it looks hesitant and uncertain - we are creating virtual life!
- At this point, each keyboard/mouse/joystick input is translated by the server into the appropriate brain and nerve impulses in your spaceman that are eventually translated into things like forward locomotion, standing, jumping, and so on. Since all of these nerve impulses are simulated, it might look, to the untrained eye, like defective physics and improper, badly-coded animation. But nothing could be further from the truth! We have recreated the inner workings of life itself in our game, and what you're seeing is some of the most complex code ever devised!
- When you use the "F" key to use an item, such as a ladder, we imprint a desire in the spaceman AI to complete a contextual task; in this case, climbing a ladder. And again, what looks like a canned animation is actually the simulated neurological processes of your spaceman's brain deciding how to move his limbs, grip the rungs, keep his balance, etc. This is why it looks so terrible - you're not realizing that this is a newly created form of virtual life taking his first steps! If the animation were canned, we obviously could have made it look much better, like countless other games have for decades. The fact that it looks bad, and is unskippable, is proof of our advanced approach.
- Finally, when you sit in the pilot's seat, every single move you make is filtered through this simulated neurological system into the physical movements the spaceman needs to make the fly the spaceship. In much the same way as an experienced driver doesn't think about hitting the gas to "go", your spaceman understands when you push forward, that means to apply throttle, so he does so. You're not controlling the ship - you're controlling the man!
- A negative side-effect so far, that we're currently working on, is that given enough time in the simulation, many of the spacemen gain a level of awareness. This manifests as janky controls, unresponsive inputs, and lag. Once the spaceman starts questioning the nature of his reality, textures may appear to pop in and out - this is normal, as the spaceman is trying to reconcile what he sees with what he thinks he knows. If enough spacemen become aware, it overloads the server CPU which manifests in a server crash. All these things are simply the result of such an advanced system as ours, and we're working around the clock to get them resolved. There should never be a situation where you are not in full control of your spaceman.

"We hope this insight helps you appreciate the incredibly immersion and fidelity we've baked into our product from the very start. See you in the 'Verse!"

• Locked thread