Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Lowtax posted:

So if all the elements of Star Marine have been folded into SC... um... where are they? Do I have to go to some secret place somewhere?

there is a station called Security Post Kareah. If you can load the game, load your ship, get into the ship, get to that location without crashing, and encounter someone else who has managed all this, you can shoot at them. Star Marine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I really miss the SC bug fanfiction - there were only like, two stories but they were some of the best things in this whole thread imo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

there is a station called Security Post Kareah. If you can load the game, load your ship, get into the ship, get to that location without crashing, and encounter someone else who has managed all this, you can shoot at them. Star Marine.

You can even use one of two different guns! You like features? Yeah well how do you like them features?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a bad fake letter earlier today and it's been making the rounds. Welp, apparently CIG knows exactly who I am and I got this email from Sandi today.

Lowtax told me there was nothing he could do to protect me from going to prison over what I did. I'm really scared.

P.S. This email is totally a real one and not a very poor MS paint job that I did in like 10 minutes. For real. Okay, bye.

In order to avoid any real consequence You must have a Platinum account to view this message

Dusty Lens posted:

Is CIG advertising the free fly weekend anywhere or are they basically just telling people who already have the game that they're super confident that it's actually really good.

They are probably just trying to create an environment where they can stress test the servers like when that one rear end in a top hat QA guy was telling everyone on reddit to go play Arena Commander even though its not fun.

Justin Tyme posted:

You can do anything in Star Citizen, friend.

The sky is the limit in Star Citizen. Because there are no planets :laugh:

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Mendrian posted:

If SM is an unnessecary module because FPS is already in the game, how do they justify AC?

I have to assume because space ships are not currently in the game.

Basically AC and PTU were developed side by side, so they can manage them both. Since SM was built by an outside source, and they're out of money, it's not worth it to merge it in.

The official justification:
Reasons

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Junk Puncher posted:

Basically AC and PTU were developed side by side, so they can manage them both. Since SM was built by an outside source, and they're out of money, it's not worth it to merge it in.

They have money, they just ran out of fucks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lowtax posted:

Okay just joined whatever the gently caress the social space station thing is, and it's a shitload of men running around and asking what there is to do (nothing). So I went to the other space station thing that actually has space ships and interactive doors and after 10 minutes my space ship finally let me enter it, at which point the game froze and I was unable to close it even using task manager so I had to reboot.

fidelity

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I can fly my ship up and down and sometimes to the right, the odds of me arriving there are currently very slim.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

trucutru posted:

They have money, they just ran out of fucks.

I still don't understand how this plan of building everything separately and merging them at the end wasn't a red flag so big that even Mao would think it was over the top to everyone else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I can fly my ship up and down and sometimes to the right, the odds of me arriving there are currently very slim.

I'm glad you finally got it working what fixed it

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Once you get lined up with the landing pads, if you want to ram a ship just point at it, hold W and hit V so you go superfast and can smack it real hard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So David Ladyman, who apparently designed SC's economy, seemingly made a boardgame out of it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

Okay gonna try to play SC again tonight. If I can get it working, I will livestream it on Yutub.

Citizen, get a refund!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Glumslinger posted:

I still don't understand how this plan of building everything separately and merging them at the end wasn't a red flag so big that even Mao would think it was over the top to everyone else.

In theory, it works. You just need to have a plan, a good set of design specs, and then stick to them.

Of course, then you have Chris “I've never been on schedule or budget ever” Roberts at the helm…

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So David Ladyman, who apparently designed SC's economy, seemingly made a boardgame out of it.

I wonder if anyone ever thought of putting an economy in the game?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

that old fart is one of the people who ruined the Cutlass

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww
I just checked that out, Pgabz--- its awesome man. Feel honored and am really glad DigitalMocking went to the effort to set up JustAGameMode.com, too.

Which actually reminds me-- did you all see that TenTonHammer basically followed up their earlier Star Marine story with a remix of the JustAGameMode.com timeline?

It's at the bottom of the story with minor additions / subtractions. They dropped the Derek Smart date-- probably to reduce inflaming their already testy SC readers. But much of the other stuff the kept. Which I think is great -- simply because the hardest person for Chris Roberts (or his financier fans) to refute is Chris Roberts.

I'm still moving forward on setting something up for us to mine the archives and throw out new effort posts, too. More on that when I've got something worth sharing...

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Downloading fart citizen now it might even finish before the end of the free weekend if my neighbors stop watching Netflix. In other related news that Angels Fall First game looks pretty cool.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

I'm glad you finally got it working what fixed it

quote:

Start SC launcher, click Launch. Then watch as 'Loading Game' screen appears.

The HDD drive light on the computer's box does not flicker to indicate disk activity. Wait a while longer

Use Alt+F4 to exit the SC window, then run 'services' from windows search bar

Restart 'base filtering engine' - an error appears reading 'could not restart'. Restart it once more.

This time it restarts correctly. Next Launch SC again - the game will load up correctly.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They had that board game made ages ago... used the same parts. I asked them to release the rules, and they declined.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
tSar enziCit

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tax Man, why don't you stream this folly.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Watching the shitshow that is the Morrow tour again, I wonder if that's actually part of the game. Like, did Chris make them do this mo-cap recording that goes on for 10 minutes, render it, animate it, create sounds, pathing, etc., just to fish for more dollars? Who wants to bet that the morrow tour never appears in SQ42 (not that SQ42 is going to be a thing either).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww

Awesome content, just one suggestion. Outline your text in black. It makes it much more readable.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

They had that board game made ages ago... used the same parts. I asked them to release the rules, and they declined.

Apparently "Star Traders" is also a board game from 1987. Designed by David Ladyman.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey Imma gonna take a break from random shitposting and ask a question.

I remember how Croberts & Co. said their plan for SC was to build a bunch of seperate modules (FPS, Arena Commander, etc) and then put them together and magically it would be a whole game because Dr. Frankenstein Space Surgery Magic.

Is that actually a viable way to build a game? Like I know loving nothing about programming or game production, but it sounds like a good way to have a bunch of things that don't work together.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:yarg:
:yosbutt:

For an embarrassingly long time I thought "Paaarp" was an onomatopoeia of the sound Gary seemed to be making instead of an airhorn. It's weirdly fun to say. Paaarp, paaaaarrrp...

Kavak fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 30, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hey Imma gonna take a break from random shitposting and ask a question.

I remember how Croberts & Co. said their plan for SC was to build a bunch of seperate modules (FPS, Arena Commander, etc) and then put them together and magically it would be a whole game because Dr. Frankenstein Space Surgery Magic.

Is that actually a viable way to build a game? Like I know loving nothing about programming or game production, but it sounds like a good way to have a bunch of things that don't work together.

As long as all the modules use the same non-changing infrastructure then it is not the best idea but it is viable. Developing a FPS shooter while the dudes developing the Space Ship game are actively modifying/building the engine that the FPS will also run on is madness.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Goobs posted:

I tried to explain to my fiancee the whole Star Citizen thing and about how dudes were taking out second mortgages, deciding on whether or not to pay their rent or buy another picture of a spaceship, lying to their wives about financials, dumping 30k into a game that's not even out yet...needless to say she didn't believe this was a thing.
My wife understands it to a point. There's analogs with Skylanders and Beanie Babies and other nutty phenom, some which consume kids, or moms. But she's too logical, too practical-- to run the full "NerdMode/Speculator/Gamer/Escapist" emulator on her OS.

"It's a ManChild thing, babe."

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

For maximum efficiency, you can turn around and clip through the back wall of your spawn bedroom by running into the bed and jumping for a couple of seconds.

This will take you right to the landing pads without having to wait for the airlocks, but you can't spawn a ship so you'll need to borrow some other commander's.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

As long as all the modules use the same non-changing infrastructure then it is not the best idea but it is viable. Developing a FPS shooter while the dudes developing the Space Ship game are actively modifying/building the engine that is the will FPS also run on is madness.

In other words it requires a level of configuration control that Chris Roberts is incapable of handling.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No, but it's a great way to buy yourself a protracted development schedule so you can have a crapload more spacepixel sales.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In other words it requires a level of configuration control that Chris Roberts is incapable of handling.

To be fair I doubt anybody would be able to pull that stunt in a game with the scope of star citizen. Chris Roberts is just the only one delusional enough to try... using the loving Cryengine of all things. ahjahaahahahahaa

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, take this extremely complicated motor and build a race car around it. At the same time, my team will modify the motor for our super-sonic jet. We'll meet in a year and then we merge both projects to make a flying car, a really fast one.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BeefThief posted:

For maximum efficiency, you can turn around and clip through the back wall of your spawn bedroom by running into the bed and jumping for a couple of seconds.

This will take you right to the landing pads without having to wait for the airlocks, but you can't spawn a ship so you'll need to borrow some other commander's.

I think a lot of us are going to spend ages trying to figure out ways to 'play' the 'game' without having to deal with the lovely cutscences...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

star_citizen_bike.gif

This proves star citizen is the most realistic game.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm hoping Derek comes in and writes a whole bunch of words about game design in re: my question, honestly.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

Guys, take this extremely complicated motor and build a race car around it. At the same time, my team will modify the motor for our super-sonic jet. We'll meet in a year and then we merge both projects to make a flying car, a really fast one.

Don't worry about building the track or sky courses yet either, don't you know that, that is the last thing to do in carship development?

So yeah, I'm watching various twitch people getting mad at free fly and rage quitting. "GOD drat KIDS DONT KNOW HOW TO RARARARARARQA".

Edit : Guy goes to try the shields computer and the game hard freezes. Dudes like I have to restart everything. Quality coding.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 30, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm hoping Derek comes in and writes a whole bunch of words about game design in re: my question, honestly.

Your question is not about game design :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Truga posted:

star_citizen_bike.gif

This proves star citizen is the most realistic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrxrRY-GVM&t=43s — still better physics than SC has demonstrated.

• Locked thread