Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6314684/#Comment_6314684

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Yeah look at those average pledge levels and stop calling SC supporters whales lol CHECK MATE GOONIES

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Iglocska posted:

Well crap. OK, in that case, we don't have any famous actresses on here!

PS: Can I call you Sandi?

One of my alters?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

CrazyLoon posted:

The trouble tends to start, when you devote so much time/attention to a thing, that you feel like you need it. If XCOM vanished from the Earth tommorow, I'd be real upset and sad, but it wouldn't be like I couldn't go on with my life and poo poo. When this will happen to the true shitizens, though, yeah...some of them will legit an hero and too many have already gotten divorced over it. While the survivors will, sadly, all too likely do as you said, move on to the next crusade.

It seems that some people need a "religion", and they will find one.. In another world these people would be protesting gay rights, attacking planned parenthood, or wandering your neighborhood looking to recruit more members for their congregation. People want to believe there is a greater meaning to be found, and some of them will latch onto whatever it is that makes them feel that there is.

A power fantasy for the powerless is certainly a recurrent thing, but it all plays back into looking for a messiah.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:eyepop:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Do we have a marine biologist amonst us? I didn't think so!

That's what I'm going to school for right now, so I'm at least as qualified as Sandi.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Berious posted:

Chris really believes in wasting money on unergonomic boutique crap so it's ok

Have you seen the ikea poo poo they have at Frontier?

Look at all that wasteful space, drawers to put your crap in and natural light. Not even any bars on the windows. Just scrub tier. No wonder Elite is a pile of crap compared to Fart Shitizen

My work desks look really similar and if they are the same or close these are a step or two above Ikea. Ours cost around 800$ (CND) new. Not "Restoration Hardware" priced but still in the low end of quality office furniture price. Ikea desks usually goes for 250-600$ (CND) and only give you about 2/3 of the desktop space due to the need to flat pack everything.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Underwhelmed posted:

It seems that some people need a "religion", and they will find one.. In another world these people would be protesting gay rights, attacking planned parenthood, or wandering your neighborhood looking to recruit more members for their congregation. People want to believe there is a greater meaning to be found, and some of them will latch onto whatever it is that makes them feel that there is.

I wouldn't call it people looking for "a greater meaning" so much as people looking for something to build their identity around, something they can say "I am ___" ('I am a Star Citizen', 'I am a Redditor', 'I am an r/dereksmart poster', etc). Like all the people here in the southern US who devote their lives to college football, they build their identity around being a Star Citizen (or any other game, really, it's the same idea) player the way people here build their identity around being a fan of a football team from a college they didn't attend.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

This mystifies me as well. The development world has grown since then. Consider back when he made his last even semi-successful game, and how different the PC technology was. There are small indie developers who, today, have made more complex and engrossing games than anything Chris has ever made. The fact that he's been out of the industry as long as he has means a lot in a field that evolves and grows as quickly as this one. It's like giving a guy a job building a nuclear submarine because 20 years earlier he made one out of Legos, but nothing since. He's uniquely unqualified to do this. You could almost randomly pick another developer who actually has recently made and shipped a game and have the likelihood of success increase.

Ehh, I'm not so sure I buy that everything's changed so much that he couldn't succeed just because of the environment. Jordan Weisman was never a programmer afaik, but he's managed to help lead a team to Shadowrun. Brian Fargo was out of the game as well and inExile is generally chugging along. What you do have to do is be able to understand what you don't know, and know how to bring in smart people you can trust to support those knowledge gaps. That's certainly where I think Roberts fails. He needs to be as hands-off as possible for this to succeed, and by his very nature he seems to be the exact opposite.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:chanpop: it's so immersive! It's like watching a 10FTC video!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Underwhelmed posted:

A power fantasy for the powerless is certainly a recurrent thing, but it all plays back into looking for a messiah.

Much like how we worship our Lord and Savior, Derek Smart

Though to be fair, he is only the most recent in a line of prophets interpreting the words and deeds of Christ Roberts, Prince of Space

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ah yes. The blatant grab for Ouya's free the money fund. There was some dude who kept popping up in the Ouya threads trying to defend this crap, because much like Shart Shitizen Ouya attracted all manner of misfits. Xbox Pants was pretty infamous ("half as successful as the original Playstation" was his quote I believe) though he did eventually throw in the towel and admit it was failure. Best was the dude who attempted to pimp a terrible game called Secret of Universe Alpha, only to disappear when everyone pointed out that not only was it a pile of poo poo but he was very obviously the guy making it, despite his weak efforts to hide this fact.

Ouya too resulted in a constant stream of hilarity over multiple threads, though Ouya as a company seemed more just sad and out of their depth than outright scammy or insane like SC. Julie never resorted to racial abuse or criticised people's crotch gardening as far as we know, just moped around trying to pretend she knew anything about games while looking like something that had been hurriedly mocked up in the Oblivion character creator.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah look at those average pledge levels and stop calling SC supporters whales lol CHECK MATE GOONIES

The gently caress? How did the raise so much for a lovely looking unity game? Has to have been shill pledges.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

CrazyLoon posted:

I dunno. I'm a massive fan of XCOM, for instance, but...even that, not to the point where I'd willingly give up over 1,000 dollars' worth of cash for essentially nothing.

The trouble tends to start, when you devote so much time/attention to a thing, that you feel like you need it. If XCOM vanished from the Earth tommorow, I'd be real upset and sad, but it wouldn't be like I couldn't go on with my life and poo poo. When this will happen to the true shitizens, though, yeah...some of them will legit an hero and too many have already gotten divorced over it. While the survivors will, sadly, all too likely do as you said, move on to the next crusade.

I'm sure someone versed in psychology/psychiatry could find the technical word for it, tho.

It's like, Delusions of Grandeur by proxy.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Much like how we worship our Lord and Savior, Derek Smart

Though to be fair, he is only the most recent in a line of prophets interpreting the words and deeds of Christ Roberts, Prince of Space

Me, I have faith that the great Microsoft will swoop in and buy RSI and turn this bloated turd into a very good game, just like it did before. Microsoft seems to enjoy wasting money on non viable products so this would be a win win for them.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

WebDog posted:

At one point they were so understocked that people getting freebies of the console in a goodie bag were wondering why theirs came with an engraving of a backer's name.
I followed the Ouya debacle for a while, but I never heard about this. Imagine waiting with bated breath for months for yours to arrive only to find out it was given to someone who probably put it in a closet 5 minutes later.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Ehh, I'm not so sure I buy that everything's changed so much that he couldn't succeed just because of the environment. Jordan Weisman was never a programmer afaik, but he's managed to help lead a team to Shadowrun. Brian Fargo was out of the game as well and inExile is generally chugging along. What you do have to do is be able to understand what you don't know, and know how to bring in smart people you can trust to support those knowledge gaps. That's certainly where I think Roberts fails. He needs to be as hands-off as possible for this to succeed, and by his very nature he seems to be the exact opposite.

A good point. I'm willing to bet that several people ITT could, in fact, do a better job than Chris just because they have that ability to know when they've reached the end of their expertise. If it were me, for example, having no game dev experience at all, but other dev experience, I would just make sure everyone had what they needed. Art guys - do your thing. Sound guys, engine guy - just go do what you're trained to do. Wanna run it past me, sure - but ultimately I have to trust they know what's up. Got any blockers let me know; otherwise, I'll be with the video guys demanding constructive criticism to make sure I didn't say anything stupid before I release my prerecorded 10FTC.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Berious posted:

The gently caress? How did the raise so much for a lovely looking unity game? Has to have been shill pledges.

That was the theory. Because Ouya's dumb plan was to double any money raised on KS it was assumed that these people were simply pledging themselves in order to claim the Ouya cash. I might be mixing it up with something else, but I have a vague memory of someone confirming that the game was already completed or close to being completed and didn't need crowdfunding.

Ash1138 posted:

I followed the Ouya debacle for a while, but I never heard about this. Imagine waiting with bated breath for months for yours to arrive only to find out it was given to someone who probably put it in a closet 5 minutes later.

There were still people complaining on the KS page that they never received their shitbox years after they had supposedly finished it. Was also some funny business when they first started shipping them. There were a handful of units sent to reviewers and a few backers, then nothing more. They continued to post MS paint shipping charts claiming they had sent so many thousands, but nobody seemed to be getting them. Then suddenly shipments started again, around the time they received a fresh injection of cash. Seemed like they came within inches of going under when the first production run had begun and could only continue when an investor pulled their arses out the fire.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 1, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

That's what I'm going to school for right now

You poor bastard.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Jordan Weisman posted:

"That's one of the good dynamics in our studio, we do play as checks and balances for each other," said Weisman. "When I laid out 'Here's all the things I want to do with BattleTech,' Mitch and Mike were like, 'Okay, well that's game three in the series. This is in game two. Let's just deal with this stuff in game one.' My hope is the game is embraced and that allows us to continue down the line to explore all the things I really want to do."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That was a good read.

And for some that have lost faith in humanity, the Stimpire org still only has 1 member. So there is still hope out there.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

You poor bastard.

Mom said to follow my dreams. She didn't say anything about making money.

(But really I already have a great job stealing money from idiots online so if/when it all goes tits up I won't be completely out in the cold.)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alphabettitouretti posted:

That was the theory. Because Ouya's dumb plan was to double any money raised on KS it was assumed that these people were simply pledging themselves in order to claim the Ouya cash. I might be mixing it up with something else, but I have a vague memory of someone confirming that the game was already completed or close to being completed and didn't need crowdfunding.

No, that's it. Ouya promised to match successful kickstarters' budgets if they remained Ouya exclusive for like half a year, and if the kickstarter made more than $50,000

It's like they begged to be scammed

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

And for some that have lost faith in humanity, the Stimpire org still only has 1 member.
Shouldn't it have been cut off?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SelenicMartian posted:

:laffo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Underwhelmed posted:

Me, I have faith that the great Microsoft will swoop in and buy RSI and turn this bloated turd into a very good game, just like it did before. Microsoft seems to enjoy wasting money on non viable products so this would be a win win for them.

No way will any publisher touch that steaming pile of poo poo

But it would produce some very sweet whale tears if the game became Xbone exclusive

:gary:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

But it would produce some very sweet whale tears if the game became Xbone exclusive

EA mobile game, Windows Phone exclusive.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

This is what I don't get about the Stimpire

If you cut off members, how do you go on with increasing pain

Like, you gotta be able to produce twice the pain with twice the members someone explain this it's important

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
HEY Y'ALL ITS MONDAY, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME STAR CITIZEN DRAMA OR WHAT

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
BTW, for all you naysayers, here, have a bit of the epic turret action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWC-dyZNf6M&t=839s

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

You can't give up on a belief because it is stupid, if anything you have to believe harder, because that is how magic works.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

:golfclap:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

EA mobile game, Windows Phone exclusive.

Crytek posted:

We haven't announced any plans for Windows Mobile, sorry.

...well, it's probably faster to port it to Frostbite in any case

e: No frostbite for WPhone either obviously. Well, back to Unity I guess

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 1, 2016

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Let's just cram in the Star Fox IP and make it a WiiU exclusive.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

[url=http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=131324]

Hahaha

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

HEY Y'ALL ITS MONDAY, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME STAR CITIZEN DRAMA OR WHAT

I am personally. What are we less than an hour away from Chris's next pre-recorded mumblefest?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I am personally. What are we less than an hour away from Chris's next pre-recorded mumblefest?

in theory yes but we'll see

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Underwhelmed posted:

Let's just cram in the Star Fox IP and make it a WiiU exclusive.

Stop pitching something I'd actually pay for, I feel stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

alphabettitouretti posted:

There were still people complaining on the KS page that they never received their shitbox years after they had supposedly finished it. Was also some funny business when they first started shipping them. There were a handful of units sent to reviewers and a few backers, then nothing more. They continued to post MS paint shipping charts claiming they had sent so many thousands, but nobody seemed to be getting them. Then suddenly shipments started again, around the time they received a fresh injection of cash. Seemed like they came within inches of going under when the first production run had begun and could only continue when an investor pulled their arses out the fire.
Haha who the hell looked at that and thought that they were worth saving?

• Locked thread