Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Lol, reddit's getting super paranoid.

Also:

ISIS sympathizer? Holy shitsnacks! Oh wait...

... I guess I am! o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Star Citizen: First Time Trip Report.

- First thing I notice is the terrible head bob and claustrophobic feeling. This feeling never really went away, and the ships made things ten times worse.
- The Aurora is a space coffin, and the Mustang has a ladder at the bottom which you ~100% clip through the ship as you enter. The Hornet is the best starter ship by default because you enter the cockpit straight away (assuming the use button appears).
- It took me an hour to figure out to press v, to toggle FULL BURN mode. The default cruising speed is terribly slow.
- I flew to the security station and got shot before being able to enter and get a gun.
- I flew to Convalex station, and learnt that EVA suits behave like first person billiards. It is an empty station with some tape recordings in it. Upon leaving, a person started shooting at me, and discovered that I could strafe and rely on server lag to avoid all damage. While strafing, a second guy hijacked my ship, the first guy gave up shooting me and disappeared.
- Bored, I spent a while just ramming ships, and watching them bounce off like billiard balls. This was the only activity in the game which I enjoyed. Star Citizen has the physics code on lock for a fun billiards game.
- Figuring out that I need to try ship combat, I flew out of the armistice zone and got into a dogfight. I got some shots in but the other player was obviously better. When my shields depleted, I FULL BURNED back to the landing pad, exploded and watched ships bounce off in the periphery.
- I loaded up Arc Corp, but it is a empty map with people aimlessly running circuits around the map. I did not see the mythical buggies. Despite a garbage incinerator running indefinitely, there is a disconcertingly large number of garbage bags on the map. The only other people talking in chat was someone expressing confusion, and another person looking for space prostitutes.

Conclusion: What the gently caress is this game, and why is it so terrible. It is empty (Arc Corp, quite literally), and seems only to exist in order to showcase the premium ships. If this is what they have to show after 3 years, then I'd be worried. I don't know how any rational person would spend $45 on a basic package, let alone $10.

:gary:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I cannot wait for CS to send me an email explaining that I owe them money because someone I flipped a ship for got a chargeback.

Maybe they'll let me work it off for referrals.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Wulfling posted:

1800 new posts. For the love of god slow down damnit. I can't keep up with all this :iia: an still actually sleep and be functional!

Whiskey chat was fun. I have a small to moderate collection that I'm trying to grow and learn.

Fuzzy Modem was unexpected, an hilarious.

The chargeback thing is almost unbelievable. I'm glad I never did any of that, in the way that people are getting in trouble for. Also my accounts closed so CIG can get hosed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Been going through this guy's history

practically encouraged? :dawkins101:

Poor babes, they're going to wish there was a game to ruin once this mess is over.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Tokamak posted:

- First thing I notice is the terrible head bob and claustrophobic feeling. This feeling never really went away, and the ships made things ten times worse.
- The Aurora is a space coffin, and the Mustang has a ladder at the bottom which you ~100% clip through the ship as you enter. The Hornet is the best starter ship by default because you enter the cockpit straight away (assuming the use button appears).
- It took me an hour to figure out to press v, to toggle FULL BURN mode. The default cruising speed is terribly slow.
- I flew to the security station and got shot before being able to enter and get a gun.
- I flew to Convalex station, and learnt that EVA suits behave like first person billiards. It is an empty station with some tape recordings in it. Upon leaving, a person started shooting at me, and discovered that I could strafe and rely on server lag to avoid all damage. While strafing, a second guy hijacked my ship, the first guy gave up shooting me and disappeared.
- Bored, I spent a while just ramming ships, and watching them bounce off like billiard balls. This was the only activity in the game which I enjoyed. Star Citizen has the physics code on lock for a fun billiards game.
- Figuring out that I need to try ship combat, I flew out of the armistice zone and got into a dogfight. I got some shots in but the other player was obviously better. When my shields depleted, I FULL BURNED back to the landing pad, exploded and watched ships bounce off in the periphery.
- I loaded up Arc Corp, but it is a empty map with people aimlessly running circuits around the map. I did not see the mythical buggies. Despite a garbage incinerator running indefinitely, there is a disconcertingly large number of garbage bags on the map. The only other people talking in chat was someone expressing confusion, and another person looking for space prostitutes.

Conclusion: What the gently caress is this game, and why is it so terrible. It is empty (Arc Corp, quite literally), and seems only to exist in order to showcase the premium ships. If this is what they have to show after 3 4 years, then I'd be worried. I don't know how any rational person would spend $45 on a basic package, let alone $10.

I'm impressed it didn't crash.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

I cannot wait for CS to send me an email explaining that I owe them money because someone I flipped a ship for got a chargeback.

Just reply back that you consider the case closed, and if they feel that is an error have them open up another ticket with you. Then wait 6 months between responses.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Lol @ people not instantly perceiving that fuzzy was taking the piss PS hi from 10 pages ago jezus this thread is fast

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Haskell9 posted:

Lol @ people not instantly perceiving that fuzzy was taking the piss PS hi from 10 pages ago jezus this thread is fast

I just went to the toilet and came back to 40 new posts

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Decrepus posted:

Looking for 50 people to crew my Idris pst.

Does your Idris fit in 4 instances? Because otherwise I have bad news bro.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Agrajag posted:

what the gently caress thread have you been reading for the past 1,697 pages?

There hasn't been a Sandi apologist in here in forever, there were a few kinda CIG apologists here, but they've been gone since loioish (or whatever) disappeared. At first I thought this sperg was just trolling, but sadly you can't even tell with these star citizen folk, he could have been 100% un-ironically sincere in everything he posted.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
So guys quick question, as a German backer, what's the easiest way to get my refund? I got the usual yadda yadda email some point in December after opening my ticket starting November… anyway. I paid with PayPal so no chargeback here. Do I have any chance to cop out of this bullshit? I only spent like 50€ but I could use that money for better things right now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm impressed it didn't crash.

it crashed on exit.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DOMDOM posted:

Werner is clearly the only one who could do this justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUf0QFFi2Mk

Someone dub over CR being annoyed with Star Marine questions to this, please.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

darkarchon posted:

So guys quick question, as a German backer, what's the easiest way to get my refund? I got the usual yadda yadda email some point in December after opening my ticket starting November… anyway. I paid with PayPal so no chargeback here. Do I have any chance to cop out of this bullshit? I only spent like 50€ but I could use that money for better things right now.

Try and get into a long protracted argument with them and then post the logs here. It won't get you your 50€ back, but you'll at least feel you got value out of it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MeLKoR posted:

Nope, that was a solid Dolvak if I ever saw one. "I'm not sure the mails are true but also I don't like care if they're true or anything, you know?"

Nah, Fuzzy atleast has a screen presence that isn't actively repulsive, so he's not in the Dolvak territory, or Ben tbh. And his facial hair isn't as gross as Landos.

Holy poo poo, Fuzz, good for you I guess

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

:pgabz: Reminder :pgabz:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Gilganixon posted:

take up warhammer 40k if you enjoy wasting thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on pointless bullshit. you can actually play that game though so it might not scratch the SC itch

Thank you, but I don't even play video games. I only follow the Star Citizen train wreck because of Bootcha.

Tippis posted:

…also, CIG hosed up more than ever before. Again. As usual.

I'm sure it wasn't interesting, just more of the same.

Tippis posted:

So… pretty much regular first-time knitting then? :haw:
e: Come to think of it, first-time anything, really. Starting small doesn't really seem to fit the current zeitgeist.

Hmm. I taught myself how to knit the summer I turned 19. I went to the craft store, bought size 8 needles since they seemed to be the most common, sat down with ancient and terrible Red Heart yarn leftover from some middle school science fair project, printed out "how to knit" instructions from the Internet, and spent the next three days furiously trying to learn how to cast on and swearing and throwing the needles across the room. Eventually I made a terrible scarf and threw it away. Then I made another terrible scarf and gave it to my dad, who "lost" it eventually. Then I learned that new knitters typically start with larger needles and bigger yarn since it's easier to see what you're doing (oh). I eventually made a shawl which I still wear today, a hideous cardigan that found its way to the trash can, and a sweater that turned out great and I wore until I wore it out. In any case, I did start small, acquiring new knitting needle sizes and tools as I needed them, and I never forked out for the fancy rosewood needles or glass bobble things instead of lovely plastic place markers. I guess I was an anomaly as a new knitter. The antithesis of a Star Citizen knitter. (OMG. Space knitting. Somebody ask at the next 10FTC if there will be knitting in the game.)

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I multihobby by cooking the animals they put down at the shelter

Ask me for pics of my Garfield Lasagna

As efficient as it is terrifying.

StarbloodKiss posted:

So if CIG came out and said "Okay, we were wrong."

:lol:

StarbloodKiss posted:

I don't get what CIG gets by doing this since its doing a good job of pissing people off and thats about it.

Exactly; what do they get?! If I emailed a customer and treated him/her the way Sandi treated Beer, I'd be fired on the spot and deservedly so.

Paladinus posted:

I pretend to buy a ship, and Chris Roberts pretends to sell it. Then I pretend there is a game to play.

I'm glad to see playing pretend is making a comeback. I haven't done that since I was about 4 and watching Mr. Rogers every day. I'm happy to see its resurgence.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Furism posted:

Started the 10 GB update download last night, came back this morning, patcher was stuck at 96 MB left. Now it's starting from scratch. Loving this.

Star Citizen is like getting a package delivered you that you waited for for years and always dreamed of and then Chris Roberts locks you out of your house, Ben rifles through your fridge, and Sandi uses your home phone to auto call old people to tell them they own the Nigerian lottery. Then, after years of legal fighting you get them out of your house and open the box and it is empty.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Try and get into a long protracted argument with them and then post the logs here. It won't get you your 50€ back, but you'll at least feel you got value out of it.

quote:

> The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree on this point. The content in this "game" doesn't even fill 3 hours of gameplay, let alone a dozen. This "substantial part" of this "game" is abysmally programmed, with hundreds of bugs and crashes. I feel lucky when I get to play this game with 30fps on a decent rig and that for 30 minutes. There is no singleplayer campaign, there is no proper StarMarine release, there is nothing but smokes and mirrors. 16 player instances without any persistence while we were promised a "Baby PU" at the end of the year? Nothing here is persistent, I don't even see how one could call this a "PU" at all.

I still demand my refund since I did not receive my product as advertised. In the worst case I will contact PayPal directly to initiate the chargeback process, since obviously nothing of substance was released yet and no product came out of this process to date. I don't expect that there will be any product of any substance that will actually cover even 10% of the promises of Chris' Roberts himself.

And so it begins, let's see what they will answer me.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

:eyepop:

That is some next level Event Horizon horror

:gonk:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

darkarchon posted:

I don't know the specifics for Germany but I know that as an EU citizen you have 14 days after delivery to ask for a refund.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Daztek posted:

:pgabz: Reminder :pgabz:

Godspeed, Derek. I kinda hope this whole thing goes down with a hilarious Wolf of Wallstreet style raid

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Honestly, show me a game with better ship-buying mechanics. This game has been revolutionary on the ways in which you can spend real dollars on imaginary computer spaceships.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dusty Lens posted:

I wonder how they plan on actually getting money from people. I mean, they can't just bill your card as that would be an unauthorized (and fraudulent) charge. Do they intend on sending people to collections?

I guess if the person in question is a whale they can liquidate the account, but that doesn't actually get them any money.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Haskell9 posted:

I was thinking that right up till beer4thebeergod offered him proof and he started rowing for shore.

Admittedly it fits very closely with a shitizen impersonation, but it was a missed opportunity for piss taking that broke my immersion.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

darkarchon posted:

Ask them what they mean by “substantial.”

Is it “a large portion” or “the essentials” or simply “not ethereal”? The only interpretation that could possibly fit is the last one…

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVXUmX0CJI

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

darkarchon posted:

What you need my friend is a decent German Auditor , or possibly even a family of them. Does anyone know of anyone ?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

I wonder how they plan on actually getting money from people. I mean, they can't just bill your card as that would be an unauthorized (and fraudulent) charge. Do they intend on sending people to collections?

I guess if the person in question is a whale they can liquidate the account, but that doesn't actually get them any money.

They are betting he doesn't want to get any of his ships melted for credit and they are almost certainly right. It was all his fault when you think about it. :lesnick:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
What a neat tribute to all of those cut features and staff members who have left.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This guy is a treasure :allears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/43v8sr/probably_elsewhere_all_of_his_i_will_sues_are_a/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So a coworker of mine said the game was actually out, and I didn't believe him. Is the game actually out?

Tokamak posted:

Oh

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You can practically hear the high pitched "But moooooooom!" coming from that thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

At least he understands that he's wasted his time doing that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

The guy mentioned that the charge back probably happened a long time ago and CIG are only going after him now. I wonder if this is because they think that it's been too long for him to charge back his account as a result of them closing it if he refuses to pay up since that's the obvious response.

I'd doubt it, it lacks the requisite amounts of trademark CIG stupid

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

darkarchon posted:

Wait, so is SOP to deny refunds until you threaten them with chargebacks? Has anybody actually gotten a refund recently (in 2016)?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like that every waking minute of zecumbe's day is plagued by goons.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

revmoo posted:

Honestly I doubt that they would try it with someone who isn't still in the system. They're holding the dude's pledges hostage and assuming that he lacks the means/ability to easily seek protection.

Assuming that this is all real and true it's a mind boggling move on CIG's part. The level of scum to the actual payoff seems really out of proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I've taken to just skipping massive portions and trying to guess what happened based on context clues. In this way I will never really know if anything said in this thread is true or not. I call it Reddit Simulator 2016.

Once I figured out Fuzzy was completely insane and hasn't played a video game from this decade I could speed scroll through all his posts and the ones quoting them. Catching up before noon is now a distinct possibility. Unless CIG starts force melting random people's jpegs cause they lost chargebacks before i get to the end.

• Locked thread