Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well, I'm starting to have doubts about a 2014 release fellow Citizens please convince me otherwise

gently caress off goonie(tm)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well, I'm starting to have doubts about a 2014 release fellow Citizens please convince me otherwise

It's already out. Haven't you been playing it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Paramemetic posted:

Been jumping to 10 behind every morning for days, this is the first day I managed to catch up after doing it

Yall slackin'

Nah. You're just cheating more than usual.

Also, happy page Piano :woop:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 3, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

good luck!

You hosed it up.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So close :(

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It is still the early days of development

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

Then again, he lied about that too since he later revealed that he had played E:D and KSP. I suppose one could be charitable and assume that the games he listed were the ones that were worse space sims than SC, suggesting that both of those were actually better… but then, that would mean he lied about never having played anything better.

At least a troll would have been able to maintain a consistent story.

He listed FS2 and IWar 2 which backs up my insanity claim.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

gently caress off goonie(tm)

Sorry to hear you're a page sniping failure.

Fortunately you're posting in a thread dedicated to failure so welcome friend.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

good luck!

that's not how good luck works :smith:

now what will I live for

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Upon page 1700 we can build another outpost.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You hosed it up.

ruineverything.jpg

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

that's not how good luck works :smith:

now what will I live for

I hear there's a very good space game coming out in the near future. You could try pinning all your hopes and dreams to that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wafflz posted:

He listed FS2 and IWar 2 which backs up my insanity claim.

Yeah… I can't really dispute that kind of evidence.

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

To celebrate page 1700 i just fired up wing commando on netflix!!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

I hear there's a very good space game coming out in the near future. You could try pinning all your hopes and dreams to that.

Would it be okay if I gave it all my savings as well?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hello, it is a new day, does Star Citizen exist yet

jk of course it doesnt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

good luck!

do we have a muttley emote

i feel like this needs a muttley emote

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316711/pets-as-social-or#latest

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
postin

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I don't think I can remember a thread that can move this fast consistently over such a long period of time

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
god drat it feels good here

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ZenMaster posted:

:eyepop:

That is some next level Event Horizon horror

:gonk:

I'm requesting editing Croberts and Star Citizen into the finale of Event Horizon.

Crobbers as Demon Dr. Weir. Beer as Lawrence Fishburn. The gravity drive is overlayed with the Star Citizen logo.

Crobbers: "DO YOU SEE"

Rapid montage of the most frightening SC bugs

FishBeern: "Yes, I see."

FishBeern hits detonator. Idris jpeg explodes.

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzW1T89qH4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
i've been sharting daily since this thread began

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Would it be okay if I gave it all my savings as well?

It's called whaledom, and it's the only way to fly.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
1800 will be here before you know.

Like, as soon as you refresh.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

StarbloodKiss posted:

Good question, it's definitely something to consider since it sends a message to everyone else who may consider a kickstarter campaign. Ultimately, I think everyone is responsible. I know its a very broad answer, but really...the backers backed the game on their own volition, however they did so under the information presented to them by the developer. The backers are responsible for their decision. But the real question comes down to should the developer be put into a position of accountability and if so, how?

If they tried in good conscience to develop something and failed, how can you hold them accountable? Its quite easy when something is black and white (Ie: they failed to deliver because they bought booze and strippers) but an honest failure due to technical issues, oversights, personality conflicts, etc...I mean, how can you really hold someone accountable?

If anything, the mark of failure of such a scale would be enough punishment, I think. Chris is leading the ship and if ship crashes, its all on the captain. For those below who tried to offer their best but fell short, failure is not the end. But Chris is in charge. If it fails, its on him.

I've been considering that already since thats probably what I would end up doing. Theres a few animal shelters in my area and I would probably give the money to one of them.

Enabling other people's bad behavior is fairly universally considered to be Not A Good Thing. I mean, if you've got a kid with a severe weight problem and you keep bowls of Snickers all over the house and cook a pound of bacon every morning and serve cheeseburgers and french fries and ice cream for every dinner, you're a pretty horrible loving person. "I didn't make him eat all those french fries and candy bars, he chose to do it himself" is not a good defense.

But with SC it isn't just a matter of enabling, their entire business model is based on promoting the bad behavior (these ships are limited, better get one now, this ships are cheap, they're gonna be more after launch, better get that LTI, it's not going to be around forever, etc, etc, etc). Of course most of those claims ended being total bullshit, but that's a separate problem. So SC goes beyond enabling (which is bad), to promoting and encouraging (which is worse).

Yes, we're all adults and are ultimately responsible for our own decisions, but that doesn't mean it isn't morally reprehensible to go to a recovering alcoholics house and leave bottles of vodka all over the place with notes saying "Just have one, it won't hurt, then you go right back on the wagon."

And on top of that, it's horrible for the loving game. The game doesn't even have an economy yet and the economy is already totally borked. Chris' ideas of a reasonable time per $ value in an MMO is so far off the mark that it's insane. Either the ships purchased are a TOTAL rip off in terms of in game value (in which case Chris is a liar and an idiot), or this game will be the grindiest game in the history of the planet by several orders of magnitude (in which case Chris is a liar and an idiot).

As far as accountability, it really depends. "We gave it our best shot and just couldn't do it, sorry, nothing we can do about it" is on one end of the spectrum. "We tried but we constantly made stupid decisions, wasted massive amounts of money on nonsense, spent years hiding massive problems and mistakes so we could keep the money rolling in, made millions of dollars in questionable purchases and deals, paid ourselves exorbitant salaries the entire time, etc" is on the other. At the moment I'd say it looks like we're probably a lot closer to the latter.

Chris told the backers he would treat them like a publisher. That also ended up being total bullshit. Publishers would know how much money he has pissed away on mocap and big name actors and would know precisely WTF happened with Illfonic and SM.

And that's the problem with crowd funding, especially on this massive of a scale. Chris is beholden to absolutely no one. Shitizens even constantly defend the idea, saying it's a private company and he doesn't have to tell us anything and can do whatever he wants with the money. Yeah, a private company funded almost entirely with public money. If this was Chris' 100m dollars it'd be fine if he hired his loving goldfish to be the VP of marketing and spent 75m of the dough on having 100 hours of cutscenes featuring Will Smith and Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp.

But it isn't. I think at the end of this there's going to be a lot of people saying poo poo like "Thank god we've publishers and VCs that will hold these assholes feet to the fire, otherwise we'd never get any decent games at all."

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Right, learn it from Swedish mobsters themselves!

I thought that said Swedish lobsters, which makes about as much sense as anything else we've heard.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'd like to thank fuzzy modem for mentioning that the thread makes his stomach turn.

its posts like that that makes this whole thing worth it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Seriouspost: Someone mentioned about LTI being like EVE letting you buy from them a guaranteed fitted and ready to fly ship to have if you get blown out of space and don't have anything handy.

They do. Rookie frigates. Everyone gets one, all the time. If you dock at a station in your pod and you don't happen to have a ship there you get one. It's actually kind of pesky because you can't melt the drat things and my packratty nature abhors just trashing stuff. If you lose everything, and I mean everything, and are down to zero spacebucks (you didn't insure your ship lol) in the rear end-end of nowhere you can still send your clone back to safe empire space, pick up your free frigate and go start grinding back up from nothing.

But then again you can actually play EVE (why would you), so they actually figured out things like 'how do we make sure our players can keep playing even if they lose in the most complete and total manner possible?'

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You can easily hold people accountable for things because this is the real world and actions have consequences, especially actions like taking over $100 million and shaping it into a tire fire

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Prop Wash posted:

You can easily hold people accountable for things because this is the real world and actions have consequences, especially actions like taking over $100 million and shaping it into a tire fire

they could have gotten 3% in iowa with all that cash

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

El Spamo posted:

Seriouspost: Someone mentioned about LTI being like EVE letting you buy from them a guaranteed fitted and ready to fly ship to have if you get blown out of space and don't have anything handy.

They do. Rookie frigates. Everyone gets one, all the time. If you dock at a station in your pod and you don't happen to have a ship there you get one. It's actually kind of pesky because you can't melt the drat things and my packratty nature abhors just trashing stuff. If you lose everything, and I mean everything, and are down to zero spacebucks (you didn't insure your ship lol) in the rear end-end of nowhere you can still send your clone back to safe empire space, pick up your free frigate and go start grinding back up from nothing.

But then again you can actually play EVE (why would you), so they actually figured out things like 'how do we make sure our players can keep playing even if they lose in the most complete and total manner possible?'

Are you trying to tell me there are game companies out there that put some modicum of thought into actual design and mechanics? Mind blown.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

fuzzknot posted:

I thought that said Swedish lobsters, which makes about as much sense as anything else we've heard.

We have those, you know.
That said, this is a much more important national institution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish_party

El Spamo posted:

A fairly crucial difference is that the rookie frigates — and their complimentary 1 unit of trit — is worth at most 100 ISK (as a point of comparison for the uninitiated, the next step up is a horribly weak frigate that sets you back some 200–300,000 ISK and with actual fittings it can easy add an additional zero at the end… or two). That's not a lot of value and market effect compared to the implied value from these thousand-dollar packages.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you trying to tell me there are game companies out there that put some modicum of thought into actual design and mechanics? Mind blown.

uhm sounds like a bunch of game companies that don't know how game development works.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Chris Roberts steals EVERYTHING, not just ship designs! Proof:

:gary: :yarg: :gary: :yarg:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

uhm sounds like a bunch of game companies that don't know how game development works.

Oh no, I just found a fatal flaw in my refund request! I forgot gameplay development comes last. I really don't know anything about game development. :(

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Colostomy Bag posted:

fuckin' weird right?

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

Freddy Prince Jr just totally put his foot in his mouth with the hottie who he called a grease monkey but she was in fact his wing commando. Hahahah classic.

OH poo poo NOW THEY ARE DRINKING SPACE WHISKEY AND GETTING TURNT

A+++++ movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
You haven't even begun to reach the true beauty that is Wing Commander The Movie.

Shh we have to be quiet in our spaceship or they'll hear us!

• Locked thread