Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

The Kins posted:

things we can rule out being announced for star citizen #5934: a race-mixing minigame

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

AP posted:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't read the thread, can't see her landing a big role doing that. I believe Karl just emails her things that concern him, like the screenshot of that radio guy who's been flipping out about it ever since.

This would be the moreso rational explanation (and that's a sad statement in itself). If I've learned anything of CIG by this point, it is never to assume the rational.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

Hey guys it looks like there's a new project coming up that we should all get behind. :gary:

There aren't enough airhorns in the entire known universe to hype this up adequately.

But also it's probably just a joke.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

skit herre posted:

I'll buy a new Av or Plat for the first goon to turn this into a nice looking :gary:

:toxx:

Plat pls

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BMan posted:

Plat pls

:golfclap:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BMan posted:

Plat pls

:gary:

:yarg:

:eyepop:

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
I am inspired.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Did I really see someone post a screenshot of that Karl idiot 'telling on bootcha to daddy :lesnick: ' in the brown sea?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What is it about this 'game' that doing fake service jobs for fake in game currency is considered fun and interesting compared to real life service jobs that make you real life money.

Germans

ETS2 is very cool and good though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kordansk posted:

Did I really see someone post a screenshot of that Karl idiot 'telling on bootcha to daddy :lesnick: ' in the brown sea?

you did.

its funny like in a "man if my little brother did that i would kick his rear end so hard" kinda way.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amun Khonsu posted:

Id like to see proof that Sandi does indeed have 5 educational degrees and speaks 5 languages beyond being able to say , "hello", "how are you" and "taxi please".
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

It's sarcastic and deflective hyperbole on Crobert's part. And mostly a jab at me (having multiple degrees). She doesn't have a single degree that we know of. Not one.

So instead of actually stating the facts and addressing my blogs about her bogus qualifications, he didn't. Instead, he did precisely what they do (have you see Ortwin's letters?) by deflecting and ignoring the issue entirely.

Depositions are fun. I can't wait.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Madcosby posted:

The craziest part about this mixing minigame is that so much of the full version of the game is required in place for it to serve any purpose

-They have to build the ship that basically a passenger plane (it's just a jpg right now)
-They have to make the ship flyable
-They have to have multi-crew in for the many seats inside
-They have to program NPCs that actually want a place to go
-They have to program NPCs to have individual demands
-They have to program ability to travel from star system to star system
-They have to program places to land
-They have to program a way to drop off and load NPCs
-They have to have a working economy to insert pricing
I think it's even crazier that that jpeg-- and all it represents-- made it through multiple parties inside CIG without someone actually saying "Hell no we're not releasing that! We're making the Best drat Space Sim Even, not some dumbed-down remake of BarSim!

Who made this? You're fired. Go. The devs have enough real crap to worry about without having to deal with some flash mini-game for the dumbasses who bought the Spacebus."

An artist designed it. Ben approved it. Sandi approved it. Chris approved it.

That is all that anyone need know about the future of Star Citizen.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2015

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

you did.

its funny like in a "man if my little brother did that i would kick his rear end so hard" kinda way.

Yeah, I don't even.... What is the point of that. I... I have no words for the ridiculousness of these white knights trying to be vindictive to other people posting hilarious poo poo in another forum that is in no way related to RSI. How do they not understand?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I think what Karl Arsch is wanting to say is that any company with reserve funds/cash would be well advised to not store it in coke their normal bank account at low interest rates. But rather to put it into a money market account or preferably a time deposit. Though I just guess that's what most people thought of in this thread. When they wrote "lying around".
It is rather reasonable to assume that they use Company Credit Cards / PayPal etc. to cover small expenses and use a mixture of the above mentioned "money lying around" to cover bigger expenses. In combination with credits/loans.

I doubt anyone assumed CIG had briefcases full of :20bux: lying around in their offices.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jethro_E7 posted:

Concierge weighs in on complainers. Response was to a backer (now banned) who complained he had gotten less, not more than he was promised.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/290440/thank-you-chris-roberts-for-the-uec/p2

Tokomi
Tokomi AggressorBacker TOKOMI
Posted: October 17
To our beloved Complainers: perhaps you backed for the wrong reasons and now, since that is revealed, you are naturally disappointed. .. who knows? But had you gone in for other reasons you wouldn't be here griping. Again, who knows?

In any case, you could do yourselves a favor and simply stop cluttering up threads and forums, be silent, or go away - for the short or long or permanent term. Removing ypurself fropm the source of pain may ease it. There are options of recourse for you. But it seems to me that you probably know that, adults that you are, yet whining about abput it here simply reveals your either immaturity, inability to cope, desire to tear the project down, or a combination of all those. What it doesn't do is change absolute facts or give you your passive agressive demands.

With respect, I pity you. :/
---
Moving on...

Instead of a CS ticket simply saying thanks.

I'll say it here.

Thanks, CIG and CR. Jolly capital of you. You didn't have to do that.
Permalink FlagQuote

wow! Is that real? I'm not logged in right. You should screen cap and imgur that poo poo. RIGHT NOW!!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kordansk posted:

Yeah, I don't even.... What is the point of that. I... I have no words for the ridiculousness of these white knights trying to be vindictive to other people posting hilarious poo poo in another forum that is in no way related to RSI. How do they not understand?

volunteer hall monitors.

Fun police.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

Plat pls

Good job. Apparently I need the e-mail address your account is registered with for that though.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

An artist designed it. Ben approved it. Sandi approved it. Chris approved it.

That is all that anyone need know about the future of Star Citizen.

What you have to realize is that just because Chris Roberts promises a feature doesn't mean that they will develop it.

This is how game development works.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

wow! Is that real? I'm not logged in right. You should screen cap and imgur that poo poo. RIGHT NOW!!

Real post by a normal poster in the concierge forum, not concierge support.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP posted:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't read the thread, can't see her landing a big role doing that. I believe Karl just emails her things that concern him, like the screenshot of that radio guy who's been flipping out about it ever since.
Karl really is the best: full of courage and immunity and 20 years of experience regarding internet, blogs and forums.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

2DCAT posted:

I just noticed that one of the drinks is called a "Hairy Roberts"
How did this get past Sandi?

Are you kidding me.

This is a joke they can make so the person giving them $400 feels like they are a "friend" and "in on it."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

Ahahahaha

Karl is the new seraph as far as crazy people go

No you see why I bought him the avatar he is currently sporting? I think if we all just ignored him, then he'd probably get bored and leave. But then again, making fun of him is so much more fun.

And btw

"That's him in the wheelchair!!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Saddest Robot posted:

What you have to realize is that just because Chris Roberts promises a feature doesn't mean that they will develop it.

This is how game development works.
If you're being ironic, ignore the following correction.

No, that's how "game development" works when you work for Molyneux. Roberts, or other 'visionaries' with pathological inclinations towards scope runaway and over-promising. And it's a formula for generating maximum short-term hype and the expense of long-term credibility, and their legacies are built on one success in the distant past, followed by a string of failures.

Well run gaming studios don't have histories of talking up all the feature-sets before they've even locked basic mechanics of play. Well run studios don't talk about their games before they've moved past internal alpha stage development and are well-into beta. Some don't even talk about them until they're in QA stage doing the bugsmashing on a game they've not yet announced and have previously refused to confirm is in development. Like these guys.

And crowdfunding is no excuse. Harebrained demonstrated exactly the kind of discipline and restraint that Chris has always lacked in their latest Battletech kickstarter. No stretch goals, promises NOT to expand scope beyond what they were pitching. Their project was in fact a passive-aggressive rebuke of Chris Roberts, and the digs made at Star Citizen are hardly subtle, because Harebrained knows the damage that folks like Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux cause for the reputation of the industry at large.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

No you see why I bought him the avatar he is currently sporting? I think if we all just ignored him, then he'd probably get bored and leave. But then again, making fun of him is so much more fun.

And btw

"That's him in the wheelchair!!

close your quotes you barbarian. lotta new posters here. be a good example.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's just a backer, not CIG staff I think

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/TOKOMI

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

wyoak posted:

this guy sounds smart, maybe he left the company on his own, chasing the dragon of another kickstarted project
I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

No. He was one of those laid off apparently. After all, who would want to leave such a stellar company of their own volition?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

skit herre posted:

Good job. Apparently I need the e-mail address your account is registered with for that though.

Ehhh, I don't really want to post that in this thread. Can you send a gift certificate to [redacted] ?

BMan fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 2, 2015

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

No, that's how "game development" works when you work for Molyneux. Roberts, or other 'visionaries' with pathological inclinations towards scope runaway and over-promising. And it's a formula for generating maximum short-term hype and the expense of long-term credibility, and their legacies are built on one success in the distant past, followed by a string of failures.

Well run gaming studios don't have histories of talking up all the feature-sets before they've even locked basic mechanics of play. Well run studios don't talk about their games before they've moved past internal alpha stage development and are well-into beta. Some don't even talk about them until they're in QA stage doing the bugsmashing on a game they've not yet announced and have previously refused to confirm is in development. Like these guys.

And crowdfunding is no excuse. Harebrained demonstrated exactly the kind of discipline and restraint that Chris has always lacked in their latest Battletech kickstarter. No stretch goals, promises NOT to expand scope beyond what they were pitching. Their project was in fact a passive-aggressive rebuke of Chris Roberts, and the digs made at Star Citizen are hardly subtle, because Harebrained knows the damage that folks like Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux cause for the reputation of the industry at large.

doctor iono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Xa012yvXY

14:35 - The amount of smugness contained in the following 30 seconds is painful.
18:15 - Does someone have this reddit post/tweet? Lesnick Thor :catstare:
23:35 - Host spends 45 seconds describing how call-ins work on a radio show. i want to die. this show is 2 hours long.
25:30 - hey it's that part i was looking for. in response to "is there space karate?"

"Let me go ahead and give this blanket answer for everything that you hear about in 10 for the Chairman and ATV and everything. These are - they're intentions. There's the things we would like to do. There's the things that we sign our people to explore, to figure out - you know, go and see about making this happen. Then there's the challenge. Then there's - going through and figuring out how to make all this happen. Not everything's going to become a reality exactly the way we spoke about it; not everything's going to work with every other system; it's an exploration - that's what development is. So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Long after all of this has been forgotten by man, children will sit around a wrinkled old man in a wheelchair and ask "Grampa, what is this Star Citizen we found pictures of on your old laptop?"

And he will say "Well kids, we gave this man 90million dollars"

is he demonstrating how he isn't able to swallow his own saliva when he speaks?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hairy Roberts:

6cl Scotch Whisky (Lagavulin 37 Year)
3 knife's edges of coke
4 pubes
Crushed ice

Mix ingredients in a shaker. Best enjoyed snorted through rolled up $100 bill.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

I believe that Austin was around 50? if their numbers dipped below that, they wouldn't have to give notice. They'd also be excluded on the basis of consolidating or changing the places of business.

http://www.doleta.gov/layoff/pdf/EmployerWARN09_2003.pdf

As I said back on Sept 24, it looks like they are doing it selectively in order to avoid having to issue a WARN notice.

But the location is definitely closing down. And I already heard and posted that they've already signed a lease and moving to a small satellite location at The Arboretum off of the 183 highway.

But yeah, the Austin location as we once knew it, and which had 50+ people at one time, is no more.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

What makes it even more fun is to look at the history of how HBS arrived at this point. SR:R was following in the over-promising footsteps of that first wave of kickstarters, and about half-way through, they realised this and started cutting back on ideas they had presented during the original campaign. However, they were always very clear about what they were doing and why, so while there was some grumbling, it was almost always of the “…but I suppose that makes sense… fine *mumble-pout*” kind.

Even then, they were fairly clear that SR:R would be a first attempt, with all that entailed, and that SR:DF would be more of the same, possibly improved. And that's exactly what happened. They created an engine and a first attempt at a game, took the lessons and put them into the second game they had promised. Then they repaired pretty much any lingering ill will by handing out SR:DF-DC to pretty much everyone as a final example of “this is what we actually managed to make.”

Then they moved on to SR:HK and took all those lessons to heart to promise a more focused and less experimental high-quality product, only ever promising more polish, and maybe ever so slightly more of the same, rather than piling on more and more features that people were asking for. Then again, by then, people weren't asking that much any more — the backers had learned a similar lesson too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

ASCENT’S LEAD DEV OFFERS INSIGHT ON THE STAR CITIZEN CONTROVERSY

Another Star Citizen auditor.

Hey Karl, I'm no expert but given that
A: - You said here on SA that you no money in and you have a RSI Space Marshal account
and
B:- You said you weren't that crazy reddit Star Citizen auditor who was trying to troll me from there of all lovely places.

I'm going to go with
C:- You're a nut. :gary:

wait wait wait is this really the same person as:

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

Ehhh, I don't really want to post that in this thread. Can you send a gift certificate to bmanx2000@yahoo.com ?

Done.

How does one get a smarties gang tag btw. ?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Amun Khonsu posted:

Seems Karl has been a busy bee.

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

^this

That is all. The End.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.

holy gently caress

loving wrecked so hard ahahahaha

karl please don't post after this epic owning, just go away in shame

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think what Karl Arsch is wanting to say is that any company with reserve funds/cash would be well advised to not store it in coke their normal bank account at low interest rates. But rather to put it into a money market account or preferably a time deposit. Though I just guess that's what most people thought of in this thread. When they wrote "lying around".
It is rather reasonable to assume that they use Company Credit Cards / PayPal etc. to cover small expenses and use a mixture of the above mentioned "money lying around" to cover bigger expenses. In combination with credits/loans.

I doubt anyone assumed CIG had briefcases full of :20bux: lying around in their offices.

All business should be budgeting a percentage of their monthly income for what is basically emergency money or money easily accessible for projects or unexpected large expenses.

It would be it's own line on a P&L, not included in the regular monthly expenses. For example you might have $1000 budgeted every month for general computer hardware, but then someone decides to hang their dry cleaning on a sprinkler head in the office and it floods. You need $100,000 in equipment replaced immediately and can't wait for an insurance payout. Luckily 3% if your monthly income goes to a PIP account or whatever your industry calls it, so you're good.

That's essentially what having cash reserves mean. You shouldn't expect to make money off it in a bank. It's there when you need it. In large companies this could be tens of millions of dollars just chillin in an account waiting to be used.

I don't like serious posting.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

holy gently caress

loving wrecked so hard ahahahaha

karl please don't post after this epic owning, just go away in shame

or you could come back and belabor the point more, that would still be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea

• Locked thread