Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

AugmentedVision posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at this and guess that at least one of the problems is precision. Looks like coordinates in CryEngine are uint32, which means that there are 2 billion possible values each coordinate can take. In a 20km box, that's .01 mm. A precision of .1 mm with a 200km box might be OK too, but 1mm for a 2000km box is probably already too coarse.

To add to this, if they do this, the result would be the models looking like jello a la Kingpin, lol. That problem was precisely caused by the fact that the vertices snapped to coarse integer values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me years ago), but what are the obstacles keeping them from simply designing all the objects at 1/10th or 1/100th their 'actual' size for the purpose of making that 16km box feel like a 160km or 1600km box?

You need to ensure that player movement is smooth, so you can't make everything too 'small'. If you made it so that one unit is one metre, then every time that you tap 'w', your marine would move one metre forward. Oh and your marine would look like a 2x1 metre cube. On the other hand, I thought they already made planets and celestial objects smaller than what you expect (a planet is hundreds of kilometres and not thousands).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Has Chris ever been able to successfully demonstrate playing his game? Or does he always look like he's never touched a computer before?

e: I'm posting this video again, because it is the best deterrent to stop inquisitive friends from sending crobizzle cash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Who was it that said the game looks like its constantly fighting itself to keep from tearing apart?

Watching Crobbizle sit in the cockpit while the whole thing jerks and micro-spasms every 2 seconds is really nauseating and he isn't even moving

The HUD can't even stay still for more than a second its bipping and bopping allover the place, how the gently caress does anyone play this and not hate themselves?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gilganixon posted:

are the cryengine people happy to have their name slathered all over this ugly, janky mess or do they not care as long as croberts has paid for the license?

Because even though $100M is a poo poo load of money, fc4 sold 7-8 million copies.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
pgabz, start using this sweet song in your vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

CIG has denied ownership, so its all good ;)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sperglord posted:

The problem with that attitude is that the failure of Star Citizen will reflect badly on all game developers. As CIG drifts into more and more scamming territory, the game developer / media outlets which don't report that it is FUBAR are, in some way, contributing to people losing their money. Even now, one can see the "I just found my religion Star Citizen" come to Christ Roberts threads on reddit / official forums. When the game dies and the malfeasance is revealed, where does this leave the industry?

CIG could make another 10-20 million this year, 10-20 million to boost Sandi's promising Hollywood career. It would be nice if a group of trusted figures tried to save people that money.

True, but there's another facet to this, and it's tied up with what you're saying. The larger publishers are also not too thrilled with Star Citizen, but not for the reasons CIG claims.

The cult narrative is "Take that, evil publishers! CIG is showing that you're not needed, and the PEOPLE are taking back gaming from your greedy hands!"

The reality is almost the opposite. First of all, a very conspicuous project that steals over 100 million dollars with nothing to show for it is a black mark on the very industry they rely on for their own profits. You can occasionally see that kind of political thinking in all kinds of industries - for example, if a restaurant makes headlines for being blatantly racist or something, you can bet that other restaurants will go out of their way to distinguish and separate themselves from the outlier, to protect their own reputations and continued operation. Secondarily, for a few years now, larger publishers have been studying crowdfunding very closely, working different angles hoping to reduce the risk of their own financial investments. A good place to start reading about this is studying the effects of Bioshock: Infinite - a beautiful, artistic, and compelling game (minus the combat) which was a total financial failure. Now, this project totally jeopardizes the entire concept of crowdfunding - if people can't trust good old Christ Roberts the wonderboy, who in their right mind would help crowdfund an "evil publisher" who already has plenty of capital for investment?

So why hasn't anyone said anything? The same reason any atrocity builds pressure for as long as it does before the dam bursts - self-interest. I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion, either. The people working there need cash. Not everyone can afford to move their families and take their chances elsewhere. Some are genuinely thinking they can get it done. Some are just excited to work in the industry in any fashion, and are riding the wave to pad their resumes. Developers working other titles don't want to badmouth Star Citizen because that carries the risk of alienating potential future customers (due to the toxic cult surrounding it), and coming off as snide and petty. Publishers don't say anything because until this collapses, anything they say will be construed as sour grapes. Media outlets are a joke.

The only people that can bring this down, barring legal action, are the people on the inside. Someone, preferably several someones, need to be willing to sacrifice their own careers to bring this down once and for all. That does not happen very often, and even when it does, and those people turn out to be right, they STILL get vilified. See: Enron for a good example. So I don't see a very good end to any of this, unless someone is willing to sacrifice themselves to that extent.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 7, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Kakarot posted:

pgabz, start using this sweet song in your vids

CIG has denied ownership, so its all good ;)

I agree, but do a kazoo version.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Has anyone managed to find out more about that terrible song that was in the leaked PTU torrent? Like who performed in it, and more importantly, when it was produced?

e: This is what I'm talking about.

I'm really hoping that Chris is a guitarist, drummer or singer, and this is his personal work.

https://youtu.be/eAXleTwGcG8

The musical talent of a bad 90s cartoon.

106 million dollars

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I get the nasty problem, it would be nice for 'someone' to save the consumer from what will happen, but what happens to that 'someone' afterwards? We all want a hero to conclusively show the problem, but would we want to be that hero and face a lifetime loss of employment?

Furthermore, this problem will get worse this year. Unless CIG is utterly incompetent, which they are not, there will be a SQ42 trailer sometime this year. Possibly even at E3. That trailer will go a long way to restore loss faith and cause players to throw money back at CIG. Worse, what if CIG puts out a game demo? Recall, CIG has a very long track record of gameplay demos with no work done behind them. The planet landing demo was cool, the first multicrew demo was cool, a structured single-player demo can be whipped together using what already exists in the game (Vanduul Swarm + Awful voice over + Hornet flying). Such a demo could cause a massive month, well over 5 million dollars in sales. With all that money will come praise, praise which will whip Chris Roberts back into an egotistical Savior of PC Gaming spirit.

But the game is FUBAR, the engine barely exists, gameplay is hilariously shallow, no good game can be made from it. The whiplash from an awesome space combat demo to the inevitable crash will be something to behold.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Ugh, while napping before my hockey game tonight, I had a Star Citizen dream where Erin Roberts accidentally BCC'ed me in an email to Goons vehemently defending Sandi's abilities and role in SC and SQ42 development, as well as claiming her past transgressions as patently false, and finally saying that Goons like us are the kind of trash that kill video games.

To my credit, I responded back to him about the allegations.

And I signed the email with PAAAAAAAARP.

loving video games man.

Man.. You help destroy the game in your dreams, just like IRL. Good to know the game of DREAM is living up to its idea.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

Could someone put Derek's face in this?
https://gfycat.com/JubilantConventionalCarpenterant

Tia

Who designs poo poo like this? Look at how the pieces move, as though they're not even connected - just floating over each other.
Same as flaps on the Scythe wing, and hydrogen scoops. Terrible design choices.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What is the Diamond Frogs stance on the Fourth Stimpire?

All our sources tell is that someone named "Doctor Dave" works for them and he has an unhealthy obsession with unknown alien artifacts and also the motherfucker who owes me ten credits :jiggled:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Who designs poo poo like this? Look at how the pieces move, as though they're not even connected - just floating over each other.

lt looks 'cool' in a trailer, which is literally all that counts.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

http://vmashup.com/ahCEwsOj

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

BluestreakBTHR posted:

"Rule of cool", baby. Someone ought to tell them that "cool" is relative.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Here's a question, where did Chris Roberts see that type of helmet before?

I have a theory that 90% of his revisions are copying someone else's successful work. Which is hard if cool new games keep arriving. No problem, schedule another jpeg sale!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sperglord posted:

I have a theory that 90% of his revisions are copying someone else's successful work. Which is hard if cool new games keep arriving. No problem, schedule another jpeg sale!

I've seen the auto-wrap helmet in a few franchises - Iron Man and Dead Space come to mind. You're right about him copying other people's work, except his copies are shoddy knock-offs. Chris is the Chinese bootleg version of a game developer.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Sperglord posted:

it's kind of like the dead space helmet in terms of elaborate action

only the dead space suit looked neat and had some aesthetic flavor to it

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

people like auto-wrap poo poo it's futuristic

in the future we will want everything to wrap itself around us to shelter us the from the cold void

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

just what i want in a helmet

a bunch of fiddly poo poo that'll break or get jammed as soon as i bash it against something or get some dirt in it

awesome

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ComfyPants posted:

I agree, but do a kazoo version.

If someone does a kazoo cover I will volunteer to sing the lyrics

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
On the helmet, right, Iron Man, all the other games. Cool and everything, so CIG had to have it.

What happens when Elite gets functioning multicrew this year and Star Citizen still has the 16 player limit? Does CIG stop all SQ42 work to get PU back working?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Literally Kermit posted:

If someone does a kazoo cover I will volunteer to sing the lyrics

A banjo cover would be more appropriate in that instance.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sedisp posted:

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

http://vmashup.com/ahCEwsOj

That western Speed Racer thing is the worst thing I've seen since Star Citizen.

And it's an airhorn cover or nothing. FULL PARP.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Scruffpuff posted:

True, but there's another facet to this, and it's tied up with what you're saying. The larger publishers are also not too thrilled with Star Citizen, but not for the reasons CIG claims.

The cult narrative is "Take that, evil publishers! CIG is showing that you're not needed, and the PEOPLE are taking back gaming from your greedy hands!"

The reality is almost the opposite. First of all, a very conspicuous project that steals over 100 million dollars with nothing to show for it is a black mark on the very industry they rely on for their own profits. You can occasionally see that kind of political thinking in all kinds of industries - for example, if a restaurant makes headlines for being blatantly racist or something, you can bet that other restaurants will go out of their way to distinguish and separate themselves from the outlier, to protect their own reputations and continued operation. Secondarily, for a few years now, larger publishers have been studying crowdfunding very closely, working different angles hoping to reduce the risk of their own financial investments. A good place to start reading about this is studying the effects of Bioshock: Infinite - a beautiful, artistic, and compelling game (minus the combat) which was a total financial failure. Now, this project totally jeopardizes the entire concept of crowdfunding - if people can't trust good old Christ Roberts the wonderboy, who in their right mind would help crowdfund an "evil publisher" who already has plenty of capital for investment?

Publishers turning to crowdfunding would be really dumb so CR is actually doing gods work in this regard

Also bioshock infinite sold pretty well

Also how do you have a line on what the larger publishers feel about cig

wyoak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 7, 2016

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Scruffpuff posted:

A ukelele cover would be more appropriate in that instance.

Well a banjo really if we are going all out here

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Literally Kermit posted:

Well a banjo really if we are going all out here

drat, quoted before my correction!!!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

wyoak posted:

Publishers turning to crowdfunding would be really dumb so CR is actually doing gods work in this regard

No doubt, but they've been watching that with great interest for a while now, looking for the right angle. Microtransactions are nothing compared to it, since with micros you have to create something first, then try to monetize it. Crowdfunding is an elusive type of golden goose.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Oh I would enjoy that :)

With your taste in music, I would have been able to actually watch it.

And, with the way you dance? :pgabz: I might have actually enjoyed it.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
The only truth in this verse, is you and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Scruffpuff posted:

No doubt, but they've been watching that with great interest for a while now, looking for the right angle. Microtransactions are nothing compared to it, since with micros you have to create something first, then try to monetize it. Crowdfunding is an elusive type of golden goose.

preorders work pretty well for them. publishers using crowdfunding doesn't even make sense-what would the pitch be? We've got this game made, now we need your help marketing it?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

I just noticed the scythe's blade has "funcional" flaps, because why wouldn't a spaceship have flaps?

Because they have to plan ahead for the planetary landings they promised. You know, right after they release it...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, just couldn't keep a straight face long enough...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

im bored have a cat

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I've seen the auto-wrap helmet in a few franchises - Iron Man and Dead Space come to mind. You're right about him copying other people's work, except his copies are shoddy knock-offs. Chris is the Chinese bootleg version of a game developer.

The Lost In Space reboot?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Bootcha posted:

Ugh, while napping before my hockey game tonight, I had a Star Citizen dream where Erin Roberts accidentally BCC'ed me in an email to Goons vehemently defending Sandi's abilities and role in SC and SQ42 development, as well as claiming her past transgressions as patently false, and finally saying that Goons like us are the kind of trash that kill video games.

To my credit, I responded back to him about the allegations.

And I signed the email with PAAAAAAAARP.

loving video games man.
the other week i had a dream where i was in that one ship with the TV in the cockpit and the whole ship was falling apart around me

i poo poo you not

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

wyoak posted:

preorders work pretty well for them. publishers using crowdfunding doesn't even make sense-what would the pitch be? We've got this game made, now we need your help marketing it?

Obsidian did both Pillars of Eternity and (Partially) Wasteland II and had publishers for them. I think the idea is that these are very niche products that need money up front for development- someone had a post a few days ago about this.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

wyoak posted:

Preorders are working well for them, but the greatest interest in the crowdfunding model is in the MMO space. Many major publishers were burned badly trying to emulate the success of WoW; many of the resulting games were shut down or placed on indefinite life support. The MMO environment is unique because the scope of the game is undefined by nature. So by hybridizing a preorder model with early microtransactions in the form of continuous upgrades, publishers can emulate the crowdfunding model without calling it crowdfunding. "Early digital access comes with these 5 limited edition features for $79.99! And if we get enough people buying it, we'll be including an all new player race, the Spregrush!" And so on. So basically, what SC is doing.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

WebDog posted:

When you're parrrping about in space, remember you are looking at a world where the land and water has been switched off (it's a toggle in the level setting) and the gravity set to 0 to try and simulate space within a 16km sized box - anything beyond that and the engine will bug out.

Chris reads this and thinks, "well what if we make all the characters a centimeter in size?"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ComfyPants posted:

I agree, but do a kazoo AIR HORN version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Sorry pocket post. :gary:

• Locked thread