Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Toops posted:

Yeah that looks like sketchy financials/reporting. They probably took some "offshore diversification" advice from Ortwin.

I wonder if there was a cross-promotion, with CIG giving a kickback to Mad Catz in return for Mad Catz agreeing to produce a Star Citizen controller? That would fit the Swedish meatball mobster undertones of CIG.

nnnotime posted:

In addition to Sperglord's and Toops' questions, I wonder if this will have any impact on the production schedule for the Star Citizen HOTAS controllers they were working on?

That's tricky, as I can see a new Mad Catz board holding onto the CIG cross-promotion as a desperate move to get money. They know CIG has a deep reservoir of Sperg's and their Spergish money. A Star Citizen controller can be cheaply made, because it will never be used to play Star Citizen, but cost a fortune. With a few SQ42 demos, I could see a rush on the controller. In theory.

If this is catastrophic earnings or outright fraud, then the company may go into a holding pattern until legal / financial questions are answered. Replacing General Counsel suggests that filing for Chapter 11 isn't in order. Chapter 11 is a 'normal' part of the business world, replacing the entire board isn't.

Also, apparently, the stock is not allowed to trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
down to two ships now. progress

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kakarot posted:

Hey /r/starcitizen! I think my videos were submitted to your lovely sub a few times and even reached your frontpage. In them, I was defending Star Citizen from unfair criticism, whilst not being a backer myself. I have now finally given in, and made another vid to explain to my viewers what convinced me in the end. With you I just want to share the script of said video so I don't bore you with my YT shenanigans, but if you are interested in the visual part, I'll link to the video at the end of the post.

Today, I want to talk about something that happened to me recently. An epiphany, so to say. As some of you know, I'm opposed to funding early-access games. I still find that whole concept silly and against the best interests of consumers. BUT, and that is quite the big BUT indeed, I was always fond of Chris Roberts' work, fond of spaceflight simulators, and fond of games that try to do something that others haven't tried before. Yet, in all my previous videos I proudly stated that I was not a backer, keeping true to my pro-consumer colours. This has changed. I have betrayed my principles. I have pledged 45 dollars to Star Citizen. And now, let me explain to you why I deem this betrayal of principles the best game purchase I have made in a long time.

My opposition against early-access games, as I elaborated in previous videos, is explained by two core statements: I'm not willing to pay a company for the quote-on-quote 'privilege' of being a beta-tester for their unfinished product and I don't see any incentive for early-access developers to actually finish their games, due to them being able to keep a game in early-access indefinitely, circumventing the consumer expectation of delivering a finished product whilst ALREADY demanding the full price for it. So in order to lure me into spending money on a product that is unfinished and may never come out, something extraordinary has to happen. After thinking about this a lot, I have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen as a whole is exactly that extraordinary thing.

First off, I have been craving for some proper innovation in gaming for a very long time. In a gaming world in which triple A publishers get praised by their corporate slaves for releasing the same drivel over and over, the only way to show them that Call of Duty kids are not the only demographic worth catering to is to vote with ones wallet. This usually means NOT buying a product you deem unworthy of your money. But it CAN also mean buying another product. So in order to cast my vote, I chose to spend money on a company that promises me a literal universe filled with content, a company that says to me: 'You can fly a spaceship! But you can also walk around in it, and float in space in your spacesuit! How about shooting other pilots in the face after you've spent the night drinking in a space bar?' Or in other words, a company that is trying to combine many features and playstyles that are usually seen in separate games, into one. The ambition to create a wholesome simulated universe is therefore my number one reason for betting my money on the Robert Space Industries horse, but this reason alone would have never convinced me to do so.

Hilariously, the other reason for pledging, the one that gave me a virtual push to finally take that leap of faith, were the critics of Star Citizen. Do you remember that Escapist article by Liz Finnegan in which ominous and anonymous sources claimed to be able to prove that Roberts and his wife were evil personified, and that their hiring practices were racist and sexist? Not only did we never hear of them again after RSI threatened to sue - or at least I haven't - but these allegations made me research the whole project deeper, delving into dev logs and speeches Chris Roberts gave, and made me watch a couple of the countless videos that the developers produce on a regular basis in which they explain what they are up to right now and how the progress is going. And guess what? The buggers are transparent as gently caress! Never before have I seen the development of a game so well documented, never before have I seen the devs showcasing their work on such a regular basis. I would not have done that research without all the voices on the internet trying to cut down the tall poppy, as they say here in Australia. And that is what much of the criticism of Star Citizen is: trying to drag an ambitious team down into the mud that said critics are used to swim in.

Of course there is valid criticism, and there are valid concerns too, but when most of the criticism boils down to 'Vapourware LOL' or 'cash grab scam ROFL' in spite of the obvious progress being made, and in spite of the current playable version of Star Citizen, then a person like me ALSO gets the urge to support that game just to spite those who want to obviously continue to live with a gaming industry in which creativity gets punished, and ambition gets called a pipe-dream. Yes, you heard that right. One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong. To be part of what may very well be the second coming of PC gaming. Or its biggest failure. But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.

So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

You rear end. Do you know how many starving children in Africa you could have fed with $45?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
See the Sperg in his natural environment: His shriveled, underdeveloped brain where he can speak with authority on literally anything.

Dumbest loving thing I've ever seen said about how the stock markets work. Jesus these people.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sperglord posted:

If this is catastrophic earnings or outright fraud, then the company may go into a holding pattern until legal / financial questions are answered. Replacing General Counsel suggests that filing for Chapter 11 isn't in order. Chapter 11 is a 'normal' part of the business world, replacing the entire board isn't.

I really, really, really hope it's fraud, and that somehow CIG is implicated. The universe would just make more sense.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Toops posted:

I really, really, really hope it's fraud, and that somehow CIG is implicated. The universe would just make more sense.

So do I. I want there to be super sketchy business contracts with investments given to key principles to smooth the negotiations process.

Even if it isn't, we'll be able to see the value Mad Catz put's on it's Star Citizen deal. If the company proceeds to liquidation, then this contract will be revalued in the auctions. That will be interesting information.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Toops posted:

it would own if this was the bombshell derek and eightace were teasing about recently.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I think gilbert gottfried would be a good sandi in a movie

Sandi sure wouldn't.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Did Fuzzy Modem ever admit that he was madly in love with Sandi and directing a "movie" in hopes of wooing her away from Chris?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D1E posted:

Did Fuzzy Modem ever admit that he was madly in love with Sandi and directing a "movie" in hopes of wooing her away from Chris?

if this were true he would have been Smooth Modem.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Skipping 20 or so pages just to say I think we should create a kickstarter to pay for a therapist for Mirificus.

Not that's he's crazy, but the poo poo he's seen... holy gently caress. Is there some sort of forum ptsd diagnosed yet

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
So the only reason that Lesnick has a job is literally because he's a true believer, right? Like, what does he do? What does he contribute? He's not a programmer or an artist, and he is a repulsive human being in every single way, so he's clearly the shittiest choice possible for a community person. He just has that job because it's the only one that doesn't require technical skills.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

The fact is that Kickstarter has done that. Everything Roberts is claiming to have 'done first' has already been done. The publisher system has been impacted by Kickstarter, Early Access and Social Media, they are no longer essential. You aren't 'sticking it to the publishers' because that's already been done by Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo, Harebrained Schemes, Obsidian and dozens of other games successfully Kickstarted without publisher support. What Roberts has done is nothing new, he just made a lot more money. And if it tanks, guess what? You've just proven that you need publishers to manage large projects. The publishers will be popping the champagne because you've hosed the one thing this model relies on: trust. Good on you.

The PC Gaming Renaissance has already occurred. PC sales are slowing, yes. But this is because there are so many games you don't need a high end PC to play. For example, I'm running an i5-760k that's still going strong (with an R9 270X since I had to replace the graphics card). But you know what isn't slowing? Digital games. PC Gaming is a $61 Billion dollar industry. It has surpassed mobile and console games. It is viewed as undervalued. Steam has done it. Digital games have done it. Roberts is completely inconsequential.

His game is nothing but a mish-mash of ideas ripped from other games. Want everything that SC has to offer? Buy Elite. Its done, you can play it and it will come with VR support. You have an actual plan and no outlandish promises. Its not deep at the current moment, but if you can wait for SC, you can wait for ED. No Man's Sky is coming out. Rebel Galaxy. X Rebirth 2.0. Angels Fall First. Eve Valkyrie. gently caress, even Derek Smart's games (they are for a niche audience. Say what you will, but I can buy most of his games now and play the entire thing). All of these are out now or will be out before Star Citizen. Nobody wants Squadron 42. No one cares. It means nothing and has done nothing new. People will just play old Space games if they want a linear story. There is nothing innovative or new that Roberts has done at this point.

The only thing that Roberts has revolutionized is taking money from the mentally challenged and the mentally retarded who have no critical thinking skills and believe anyone at what they say. I'll give Roberts that, he is good at making people pay for poo poo that doesn't and will never exist.

And why Roberts? Two things: 1) Nostalgia and 'The Great Man' fallacy. We see nostalgia through rose colored glasses. It is hard to be objective with something that we enjoyed as kids, at least for a lot of people. Most of these people haven't played a game in years and it shows. To the guy who had to make up his own quests to the people desperately shipping a vending machine from point A to point B, it shows. The 'Great Man' fallacy is that Roberts is the father of the space sim genre, so he must be great and had this superb skill with game design. In reality, if you look at his track record, he got lucky with Wing Commander. He dreamed big, but he was limited by technology and money and time. This forced him to make something, and it came out really well. However, with Freelancer we see the Roberts we are seeing now. Money and time and pressure didn't matter, he was content with driving the game off a cliff for his 'vision'. Microsoft had to step in and basically fire him from his own game to get it shipped.

2) Gamers are frequently uncritical thinking consumers. You see this with pre-orders, day one DLC, the Modern Warfare 2 boycott and the lack of self control. Getting caught up in the hype machine and becoming a foot soldier fan boy, touting your favorite game, product or brand. You love Star Citizen and so everything they are saying must be true. You are hyped for it, you've spent all this time invested in it, it becomes impossible to think critically or distance yourself from it. You've got other foot soldier fanboys reinforcing your views, and that reinforcement is a powerful thing.

So that's the long and short of it at least to me. The whole thing is an excellent case in consumer psychology and the power of projecting your own ideas onto a product regardless of the reality.

:bravo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Everyday all this stuff looks more and more like the companies related to this crap are run as well as bitcoin exchanges

(Canadian dollars, divide by almost infinitude to get the real value)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince: :bravo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

35 Weeks until Citizen Con 2016.

"That is why I stepped into the light" LMAO!!

He must be in a dark room then. Like the world gives a poo poo about some unknown anon moron parked on Reddit. These people.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You've gotta be a godawful auditor if nothing about Star Citizen smells even a touch like horseshit to you.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

Someone posted DerekHelmet on /r/dereksmart

I'm not sure how he reached that conclusion

Also its funny how they're reduced to attacking his LoD game

Yeah, and they think I actually made them. I swear those rear end-clowns are such dimwits.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

nightwisher posted:

What credit? If I want to play Horizons I have to fork out another $33USD. I'm looking at the steam store right now. Elite Dangerous: Horizons, $32.99USD with the 20% steam sale discount applied. Unless you mean directly after Horizons was released, in which case no discount or credit was displayed anywhere on the product page I viewed.

Maybe it's for the best, Horizons doesn't look particularly deep based from the gameplay videos I've seen posted. I watched the flashy launch trailer for Horizons and saw all the planetary surface combat and thought that'd be in the game, but apparently not?

I am talking about right after. If you owned ED already then %25 was taken off the price of horizons, dropping it down to $45, if you were looking at steam it was an auto discount, if you were looking FD store it said right on the page. So yes Frontier did in fact give past owners of ED a discount on Horizons. Everything in the Horizons trailer is in the game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samizdata posted:

Stop making me regret my past mistakes that preclude me having a credit card so I can join in the fun. Well, I suppose I can install a C64 emulator and play the ORIGINAL Elite... :sigh:

https://archive.org/details/zx_Elite_1985_Firebird_Software_a3

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:vince:

Funniest joke in a hundred pages- and that's saying something.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I say again, this buffoon and his mom, Sandi, are a deposition Gold mine.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

AugmentedVision posted:

So the only reason that Lesnick has a job is literally because he's a true believer, right? Like, what does he do? What does he contribute? He's not a programmer or an artist, and he is a repulsive human being in every single way, so he's clearly the shittiest choice possible for a community person. He just has that job because it's the only one that doesn't require technical skills.

Lesnick isn't just a true believer... he's the Patient Zero of True Believers. He's the AlphaBlocker and O-mega-bese of Spergs. He is their Sperg King.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

runsamok posted:

Looks like Dolvak may get the case of his dreams!

(I wouldn't buy any machine owned by someone who thinks they're smart enough to remove the hard drive, but not smart enough to troubleshoot a momentary switch.)

It only has 8 cores, at least this pile of overpriced poo poo can fit in a single instance.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

drat that guy's good! Is he on SA?

I could feel the burn from over here.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

too early for POTY and yet here we are

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Lesnick isn't just a true believer... he's the Patient Zero of True Believers. He's the AlphaBlocker and O-mega-bese of Spergs. He is their Sperg King.

I should have called myself The Sperg King. But you're right, Lesnick is the one and true Sperg King, he is the Spreg Stimperor. (SS for short)

I wonder what will happen to the SS when it all blows apart. How will he live with himself, to see the dream die? Or does he see it die each day and live constantly in a state of inner anguish, tormented by his fanatical devotion to the Wing Commander and the ugly reality before his own eyes?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The inner anguish and torment doubling every second.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously. Sean Tracy is amazing. I genuinely want to take him out for a beer and just have him talk for hours. This is the first time I've ever watched Steve Bender, but he is equally awesome. I mean these guys are genuine, hilarious, brilliant, and if CIG spent ANY AMOUNT OF loving TIME showing this as the face of Star Citizen then it would be far more motivating. Clearly this means we'll never see them again.

Guys, if any of you are reading this (or any of the devs really), know that I consider your work and efforts to be exemplary. I really am happy that my money has gone to help feed your families. I do not blame you for the failures of Star Citizen, if anything I consider you victims of Chris Roberts and his immense ego and inability to manage a program. I know all of you want to design the game we all want to play, and if it were up to you I imagine we'd already have that game. So please accept my thanks for your efforts.

If you're seeing this, please blink S-O-S the next time you're on video.

^this

Hey Ben!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

yeah i liked this post too so im quoting it

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I guess he was short of success by a hair.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

alecm posted:

What is the origin of paarp?

I'd argue it started from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE, but that the Gary face was the parp that broke the camel's back.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This Mad Catz thing is hilarious.

SC really is a soap opera for spergs.

It's a sperg opera.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's really cool listening to these guys talk about the 1st/3rd person stuff. Like, really cool. It's clear that they have an appreciation for the tech, and a genuine love for their work, that Sandi/Ben/CR are utterly incapable of delivering. I mean holy poo poo I've watched the whole loving thing and it's REALLY loving GOOD.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously. Sean Tracy is amazing. I genuinely want to take him out for a beer and just have him talk for hours. This is the first time I've ever watched Steve Bender, but he is equally awesome. I mean these guys are genuine, hilarious, brilliant, and if CIG spent ANY AMOUNT OF loving TIME showing this as the face of Star Citizen then it would be far more motivating. Clearly this means we'll never see them again.
I must be missing something. Based on this and the other posts raving about the newest 10FTD I watched the whole thing and it seemed largely insubstantial. The hosts seem like fun people and their back and forth was amusing, but that's about it.

Their line on ladders being different from entrance/exit animations is bullshit because I'm pretty sure there's an immersion ladder in one of the bigger ships that you have to take to get out of the cargo bay. It is interesting that they claim there's substantial FPS gameplay including ladders you can ascend/descend interactively that CIG just isn't showing or implementing for reasons. Something to be believed when it's seen.

The limb impairment thing is anti-fun ~*FIDELITY*~ nonsense. How do you convey to a person playing in 1st person that their left elbow's just been shot off? All they'll know is they were firing their rifle one moment and now they can't. And if the natural response is to draw your sidearm with your one good arm, is that automatic or do you flash "ELBOW SHOT OFF" in the HUD so the player knows to press their pistol key? It's stupid. And I know nothing of netcode or the limitations but it seems unnecessary/overambitious to have all this extra complexity when you're already trying to have a gunfight inside a Constellation that's docked inside an Idris that's landing on a Crysis planet.

And all that poo poo about hand to hand combat seems superfluous. Bar fights? Really? Of course not really. They know that's bullshit but they're still feeding into the whales' delusions which to my mind makes them at least partially complicit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I watched this whole video waiting for the punchline but the guy really did say all that poo poo. Either he is a super dumbass (the way-too-loving-tired gimmick of top-hat fancy game player thing says this as much) or he's jumping into the drama to try to Croberts some subscribers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

CIG have a massive problem brewing, they are so so so obsessed with making loving videos and / or talking poo poo that there is now a massive papertrail covering the internet that the worlds' biggest spergemeisters can reference to and call them out at will.
It's absolutely brilliant.

...and it's about to get a whole lot worse. Two weeks.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

The inner anguish and torment doubling every second.

Oh no, I'm getting mental images of Lesnick as the Sperg Stimperor.

"Leavers? Leavers! We have a policy for Leavers" Ben cackles under his breath as he oozes down the hallway. It's almost 3, the hour when Ben leaves CIG after a grueling five hour day, and he has work to do tonight. A long slog, with many rest breaks, sees Ben reach his abused car, which groans another time. "Yes, this suspension will see Flight Leader Ben reach his lair!"

At home, behind the one story house, Ben parks the auto, then stumbles to his garage. Behind the unassuming exterior sits a white aseptic room, sencted by the faintist hint of iron. On the far wall hangs a defaced image of an internet warlord. In the middle, a dentist chair, crouched under a fearsome array of electrical connections and power tools. Ben collapses in a special reinforced chair, before his favorite Wing Commander computer. "Yes, Sandi will be here soon. Then we'll deal with this Leaver, doubling every second!"

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

chris' annoyance and anger at the situation is maybe the most infuriating, hypocritical part. he was given an unfathomable amount of money to pursue his dream project. an amount of money that i can't actually even comprehend having, to invest on development of one game and he's pissed it all away, which is stupid but kind of predictable.

In hindsight, none of us should be surprised. Early on, he mentioned in interviews how he felt a dev cycle of 1.5 to 2 years is ideal (echoing statements he made shortly following his ouster from Digital Anvil). Anything longer than that and he would just lose interest. I think he must have assumed that modern pre-built engines meant they could just slap some pretty assets in and have a game with minimal effort. Now that all his dicking around with name actors is over with, he doesn't have anything else to look forward to. He can't code, so he can't help address any of the glaring engineering issues they're facing. He's shown a lot of art and animation works-in-progress, but none of it lives up to the image he has in his head—an image that he can't seem to communicate to any of the people he employs beyond the abrogative Potter Stewart Jacobellis v. Ohio sense. So he's bored and dissatisfied with the progress of virtually everything, but he can't blame himself, so he turns his ire on all of the little people yapping about the poo poo he dreamt up years ago to get them to open their wallets. He didn't even mean 90% of the poo poo he said at the time—I'm sure he feels he was just spitballing—so he rankles at being called to account for it now. The guy strikes me as a very childish, irresponsible little turd.

I have fond memories of Freelancer and Wing Commander Privateer. I guess I just dismissed the issues he had getting Freelancer out the door as publisher interference or whatever, but I still feel like a dummy for not seeing the profligacy of this loving boondoggle coming.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Well my friend made this, but since it's technically functional it might not meet the criteria.

Not really. Didn't support my Oculus Vive. Also, those tacos looked like sprites, not properly procedurally generated TexMex food. Also, no salsa and no birds.

P.S. The fidelity also sucked. I could see pixels. Also, the HispanoLens crashed the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Chin posted:

I must be missing something. Based on this and the other posts raving about the newest 10FTD I watched the whole thing and it seemed largely insubstantial. The hosts seem like fun people and their back and forth was amusing, but that's about it.

Their line on ladders being different from entrance/exit animations is bullshit because I'm pretty sure there's an immersion ladder in one of the bigger ships that you have to take to get out of the cargo bay. It is interesting that they claim there's substantial FPS gameplay including ladders you can ascend/descend interactively that CIG just isn't showing or implementing for reasons. Something to be believed when it's seen.

The limb impairment thing is anti-fun ~*FIDELITY*~ nonsense. How do you convey to a person playing in 1st person that their left elbow's just been shot off? All they'll know is they were firing their rifle one moment and now they can't. And if the natural response is to draw your sidearm with your one good arm, is that automatic or do you flash "ELBOW SHOT OFF" in the HUD so the player knows to press their pistol key? It's stupid. And I know nothing of netcode or the limitations but it seems unnecessary/overambitious to have all this extra complexity when you're already trying to have a gunfight inside a Constellation that's docked inside an Idris that's landing on a Crysis planet.

And all that poo poo about hand to hand combat seems superfluous. Bar fights? Really? Of course not really. They know that's bullshit but they're still feeding into the whales' delusions which to my mind makes them at least partially complicit.

Yeah if anything the praise seems to translate to "If they had more guys like this talking about the product I wouldn't be aware I was being scammed the gently caress out by CIG" cause it doesn't change the problem being that it's all a giant mess that doesn't work right helmed by a guy who is trying to get himself added as a dictionary definition for a variety of terms relating to incompetence, waste and indecisiveness. They're just better at making you forget it's a bucket of poo poo by making you pay less attention to the bucket and more to them. The bucket of poo poo isn't going anywhere.

• Locked thread