Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Chin posted:

In that video they both knowingly misrepresented the situation and various technologies to play into the delusions of idiot whales. Sean Tracy did the same thing last week in an interview on AtV.

Tracy is a Technical Director, not some plucky low level dev being stymied by Chris' tyrannical incompetence.

You have to understand, there's no way I could possibly WATCH an episode of AtV or any of the other 9 web shows they put on for this shitshow.

They just look happy in .gifs.

In honor of the top of the page, here's stuff that happened in 1859:

Jan 5th 1st steamboat sails, Red River
Jan 22nd Brahms' 1st piano concerto (in D minor) premieres, Hanover
Jan 23rd Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii begins an eruption that lasts 300 days
Jan 24th Political union of Moldavia and Wallachia; Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected as ruler.
Feb 4th The Codex Sinaiticus is discovered in Egypt.
Feb 5th Wallachia and Moldavia are united under Alexander John Cuza as the United Principalities.
Feb 10th Gen Horsford defeats Begum of Oude & Nana Sahib in Indian mutiny
Feb 14th Oregon admitted as 33rd state of the Union
Feb 16th The French Government passes a law to set the A-note above middle C to a frequency of 435 Hz, in an attempt to standardize the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What're you talking about

Nobody got rid of Derek

I couldn't quite parse it either.

Derek isn't a brand, he's just a guy. An albeit somewhat famous developer, sure, but he's still just a guy, and afaik he's never formally referred to himself as anything other than that.

And I don't know if you equate giving Derek a refund to getting "rid" of him, but it didn't work in either case, it just made Crobberts look bad. They tried to pin it on him trying to advertise his game, but he wasn't and pretty much never has in all of his talk about Star Citizens failings. CIG I'm sure wanted to get rid of Derek Smart's allegations (because they're all true), but trying to silence him and effectively ban him from the game had the complete opposite effect.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

aleksendr posted:

Most dont understand the thing called "Engine limitation" and beleive than you can just (eventually, when its finished in 2020) add as much players as necessary, like in EVE.

Yeah, all they have to do is adjust the paarp.xml file and set MaxPlayers=100, roll out a 20GB patch and all is well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

Octopode please come back we're sorry

Substitute h for s, a for o, and p for r.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen: Please Kill Me

Note the solitary tear in her right eye.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KiddieGrinder posted:

I couldn't quite parse it either.

Derek isn't a brand, he's just a guy. An albeit somewhat famous developer, sure, but he's still just a guy, and afaik he's never formally referred to himself as anything other than that.

And I don't know if you equate giving Derek a refund to getting "rid" of him, but it didn't work in either case, it just made Crobberts look bad. They tried to pin it on him trying to advertise his game, but he wasn't and pretty much never has in all of his talk about Star Citizens failings. CIG I'm sure wanted to get rid of Derek Smart's allegations (because they're all true), but trying to silence him and effectively ban him from the game had the complete opposite effect.

They could have shut it down with a simple "Dr. Smart is certainly entitled to his opinion. We look forward to proving him wrong and are confident he will be pleasantly astonished with what will be released"

Their "WORNG OPNION NO GAEM 4 U !½!!!" is a recipe for shitstorm

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eonwe posted:

Lowtax where'd you go buddy
livin' in the 'verse of course

also wasn't he moving or something?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

That's not-

You know what, it is. Definitely a tear.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
We should get yahtzee to do a zero punctuation on Sc like he did his dnf review and just pretended the game was out and the most amazing game ever

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

EightAce posted:

From what you've said, you seem understandably leery of the Star Citizen fan base. Are they as bad in person as they are online?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

I understand why they are worried about perma-death so much. It just clicked. Say your ship is down to like 5% or whatever and you need to eject, you have to factor in the 5 second get out of chair animation, walk to a door, and have to wait through another 5 second go outside animation, all before your ship explodes. It makes sense now.

edit : cheevo, die while in getting out of the chair animation.

5 second get up animation? Calm down speedy gonzalez, this isn't a race.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Tullius posted:

We should get yahtzee to do a zero punctuation on Sc like he did his dnf review and just pretended the game was out and the most amazing game ever

Actually I think if you just use your imagination and replace every instance of "Duke Nukem" with "Star Citizen" it's already spot on.

They could have shut it down with a simple "Dr. Smart is certainly entitled to his opinion. We look forward to proving him wrong and are confident he will be pleasantly astonished with what will be released"

Their "WORNG OPNION NO GAEM 4 U !½!!!" is a recipe for shitstorm

Yeah it seemed like a "methinks the lady doth protest too much" sort of moment. I wonder if it was Sandi who got pissed off first, then told Crobbers if he didn't write a ten page diatribe against Derek he didn't have any balls, or something like that.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Mirificus posted:

From what you've said, you seem understandably leery of the Star Citizen fan base. Are they as bad in person as they are online?

Well, have a look at the pics from a couple of pages back. Stone killers ...

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

star citizen cpap mask is amazing

also the fuzzy valor hoodie is super threatening.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The "Do Not Engage" always cracks me up

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Right now the only ships you can even sort of use are very small ships that could hold ~8 people, right? Like, the size of an IRL yacht?

Theoretically is this supposed to let you own a capital ship and walk all around it and see every deck? Because that does sound really cool. But that in itself would have to be the entire focus of the whole game. Like those guys who are trying to make a complete digital reconstruction of the Enterprise.

Would you be able to interact with/murder your crew of NPCs?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think this is what that poster meant by derek's "brand" - his public image, his attitude and the way he carries himself online.

like, before this thread i only knew derek smart as a real brawler, a litigious hothead who i (very wrongly) assumed had no sense of humour. now i think of him as a completely hilarious hothead with a real passion for videogames who i kind of adore.

roberts and gardiner are absolute idiots. if you think about derek's blog posts and conclude that the best way to combat them is with an equally inflammatory retaliatory blog post, you have completely misread the writing on the wall and deserve everything coming to you.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

EightAce posted:

It is not a tear
E: too late

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Pretty sure he's in charge of the Derek Smart assassination squad.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

lol at trying to look intimidating with a cpap machine on

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I have no idea what I am doing in Elite, but I flew a spaceship, tried to land on a planet without my landing gear lowered, bounced a bit, went for try two and succeeded, drove a space moon buggy that apparently has a jet/jumppack and finally did a mission for 15000 credits. It cost me less than my SC ship, I had triple the FPS and no crashes. Now I understand why the SC community hates E:D so much :allears:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Adventure Pigeon posted:

First of the Stimperium guard, ready to avenge his Lord Croberts

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I have to imagine he sounds like Vader, so he has that going for him.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

What're you talking about

Nobody got rid of Derek

"Derek writes his blog, and Chris goes apeshit and refunds his money and cancels his account without being asked?!?"

I'll break it down. If you're a customer, then you have recourse to claim distress because you're a customer. If you're not a customer, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Is that clearer for you?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Will the game have stealth mechanics? While i'm sure that purple laser is deadly, he'll be completely powerless if you can sneak up behind him and pull off his CPAP mask.

Also, is there any place where they publish an official "features to be implement" list, the way Toady does for Dwarf Fortress?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Now I can see why citizens find 30 second animations to get up from a chair so immersive

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat that picture makes me so sad.

Daztek posted:

I have no idea what I am doing in Elite, but I flew a spaceship, tried to land on a planet without my landing gear lowered, bounced a bit, went for try two and succeeded, drove a space moon buggy that apparently has a jet/jumppack and finally did a mission for 15000 credits. It cost me less than my SC ship, I had triple the FPS and no crashes. Now I understand why the SC community hates E:D so much :allears:

Last night I flew a couple missions in Elite for the first time. Didn't even do the planetary landing cause I don't have horizons. Everything about Elite - from jumping to docking to working the menus in your ship - feels a loving thousand times better than SC.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Croberts master of double-speak.

"Star Marine/Arena Commander of facets of the overall game. Both will be used to hone your skills for the Persistent Universe. Waiting for everything to be properly polished before enabling it, nothing has been thrown out. Both will be supported but are less important than delivering the main experience of the Persistent Universe."

Hmm yes use these to understand the game better in the PU, In the PU these skills aren't as important.

More here,

http://www.lazygamer.net/gaming-news/star-citizen-working-optimising-network-code/

paaarp

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Berious posted:

Now I can see why citizens find 30 second animations to get up from a chair so immersive

Where is that QWERTY wrist keyboard from?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Berious posted:

Read his little rap sheet. 'wanted for'? : classified. I'll bet it involves signing a register at his local police station though ....

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Berious posted:

to be truly immersive, they need to replace walking with waddling

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I need a Star Citizen branded CPAP CPARP machine for my space apnea.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berious posted:

Peter Molyneux produced a bunch of classic games though. Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper were all brilliant. For whatever reason he just lost the magic touch and started over hyping his games with Black and White.

I actually loved Black & White. :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

"Derek writes his blog, and Chris goes apeshit and refunds his money and cancels his account without being asked?!?"

I'll break it down. If you're a customer, then you have recourse to claim distress because you're a customer. If you're not a customer, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Is that clearer for you?

how about you make it a car analogy

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The "Do Not Engage" always cracks me up

Should say "Will never be engaged" instead.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EightAce posted:

Read his little rap sheet. 'wanted for'? : classified. I'll bet it involves signing a register at his local police station though ....

Wanted for: Beating the Lesnick challenge (tm)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

EightAce posted:

Pretty sure he's in charge of the Derek Smart assassination squad.

Derek has never been safer. :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole "let me try and look like a bad rear end while wearing my sleep apnea mask" cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Unfunny Poster posted:

The whole "let me try and look like a bad rear end while wearing my sleep apnea mask" cracks me up.

The little purple glow-in-the-dark dog dick peaking out of his left wrist is pretty funny too.

• Locked thread