Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

Exactly, which is why no-one wastes that much energy on such a minute and coincidental effect. Well, unless you count all the bits flying off the target as it explodes as some kind of (very) indirect kinetic damage to nearby targets. :D

Sure you do. It's just a discussion of how marginal, to the point of irrelevant, the whole recoil and momentum transfer is, and you might mistake it for saying that it's a viable design strategy.

Well, the Navy's had some luck using lasers as anti-missile point defense. (And knowing those Navy nuke boats pretty much have power to spare.)

No, I am just baffled about the lack of fidelity in CIG's delivery of fidelity. Now for the smiley that personifies Star Citizen for me again - :psyboom:

LASER SNYPE! :zaeed:

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
woha someone just posted that 2.2.0h is coming tonight too

quote:

Contents:

Star Systems:

Ships:

First Person:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Wise Learned Man posted:

Once some real news outlet finally goes for it, it should snowball. Maybe.
I agree. I think you're missing my point.

The story should've broken last year. Exploded, snowballed, whatever you want to call it. That it hasnt yet -- in spite of all that is known, obvious, whispered about -- is the mystery that merits exploration.

In case it's not clear, I expect it this year. CIG doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for another year. They're on borrowed time now. 2016 is not 1999-- there is enormous potential energy in this story that could yield all the best online rewards for the outlet that gets the story right. For the exhaustive, under the hood examination that's been thusfar avoided. It's a tragicomedy with no precedent and a story that will prompt as much laughter as horror and simple outright shock at the insanity that has quietly brewed over the last few years.

So-- though you don't seem to realize it-- we agree. We are examining why that didn't happen in the summer. Or after the Escapist story. Or after the parparrafic year end livestream...

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
This thread gets ~1000 replies a day.

Most of the replies seem to be screen shots of various forum and reddit posts?

Are the posts really that interesting? :\

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maldoror posted:

No, but they're that funny.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Maldoror posted:

Mirificus and Co. are helping us earn our Completionist's Badges. I, for one, appreciate it. But, in the words of a sperg to a kindly old gamer named McArthur, "this game isn't for casuals..."

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kordansk posted:

thats 2 patches in 1 day. therefore they met their quota for january AND february.

are the patches still 30gb each?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

are the patches still 30gb each?

no idea, i don't have this poo poo non-game.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

RE: laser weapon chat I always thought the Russian flashbulb Cosmonaut pistol was a neato concept. No idea on the actual physics or potential efficacy if extrapolated to future technology but it's a real world, pre dumb sci-fi example of a magazine-fed laser weapon that'd be pretty ace to see interpreted in a video game (I also liked the Halo 4 railgun where the 'ammo' was the oneshot capacitors to power the thing).

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

No, but they're that funny.
Tippis-- I didn't say so earlier because I was still toiling over my post, but I appreciated your earlier post about energy weapons. That this thread has so many great authors and the game gets lensed through a hundred POVs from diverse areas of special knowledge makes it not only a constant source of entertainment but education.

I don't recall any single topic discussion area -- in web or Usenet history -- that has proven as compelling a daily read.

My thanks to all of you for continuing to make it so. (And, while I'm posting, thanks to anybody who appreciated the effort post.)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Toops posted:

Hey y'all, trying out different weekly update formats for Solar Plebeian. Let me know how this one works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKq_4RaVVY

How does it possible to program with dreams

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Scruffpuff posted:

Nah - this is typical for PC gaming. I remember when I picked up Doom, I got the pistol and thought to myself, "I hope I don't have to use this." All shooters have guns you're not supposed to use - they're just deterrents.

Look bro. I'm trying to rock my baby to sleep and you freaking post this joke and make me laugh?!?! Screw you!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Samizdata posted:

I always thought one of the main points of laser weapons was the almost direct transfer of energy without wasting a good bit on the transfer from potential to kinetic.

nah man kinetic energy is pretty loving good. We know of a whole bunch of chemicals that really want to liberate their energy into a cloud of rapidly expanding gas. They practically beg to become kinetic energy. Turning energy into photons requires persuasion.

to put it into perspecitve, you'd need of these
(NIF, 1.8 megajoules maximum beam energy)
to equal one of these
(M829A3 APFSDS, 10 kg @ 1555 m/s = 12 MJ comin at ya)

Any lasers we have the ability to build right now are not very good at being weapons. The lasers we use to cut steel are efficient enough, but they can't scale up because they're using crystals that shatter if they are stressed, as happens when you have thermal expansion issues. This is why current military lasers under development are chemical gas lasers. Which also have the advantage of using a chemical reaction as the power source (important unless your platform is a nuclear ship), but are hysterically inefficient, like 20%. Think about using a small propane tank to fire a clip of bullets, that's what you're dealing with.

The main point of lasers at the moment is that hitscan weapons are OP. If you have clever lenses, you can hit anything you can track. And with modern computers you can track anything you can see. This is why all the military ideas for lasers have concentrated around things like shooting down incoming mortar rounds or ballistic missiles. IE, an easily destroyed object with thin skin that is difficult to hit with a kinetic interceptor.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

I agree. I think you're missing my point.

The story should've broken last year. Exploded, snowballed, whatever you want to call it. That it hasnt yet -- in spite of all that is known, obvious, whispered about -- is the mystery that merits exploration.

In case it's not clear, I expect it this year. CIG doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for another year. They're on borrowed time now. 2016 is not 1999-- there is enormous potential energy in this story that could yield all the best online rewards for the outlet that gets the story right. For the exhaustive, under the hood examination that's been thusfar avoided. It's a tragicomedy with no precedent and a story that will prompt as much laughter as horror and simple outright shock at the insanity that has quietly brewed over the last few years.

So-- though you don't seem to realize it-- we agree. We are examining why that didn't happen in the summer. Or after the Escapist story. Or after the parparrafic year end livestream...

You're right, I think I was just quibbling about comparing it to Diakatana, what with the extremely guarded rumblings of bad signs leading quietly to bad reviews and then post-mortems, with no explicit blow-up. But yeah, we agree on at least 99% of it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maldoror posted:

One thing about which you'll seldom hear boasting, is how most of my posts are posts about posting. :justpost:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Samizdata posted:

Well, the Navy's had some luck using lasers as anti-missile point defense. (And knowing those Navy nuke boats pretty much have power to spare.)

No, I am just baffled about the lack of fidelity in CIG's delivery of fidelity. Now for the smiley that personifies Star Citizen for me again - :psyboom:

Sure, and they also have a very well-grounded fear of fast-moving objects, against which something as precise and easily directed as a laser would work wonders. That said, I don't remember off the top of my head if they were going for proper laser-based destruction or if it was more a case of blinding the sensors of incoming missiles, or if it was a case of what they were aiming for in some earlier SDI designs.

In those designs, they actually did go for that secondary effect of relying on too much dakka (or in this case, too much energy), not because it would make the laser or particle beam more damaging in and of itself, but because it would case spallation — the hit would cause fragments to explode off the point of impact, and these fragments were the real source of damage that would destroy or deflect the ordnance.

G0RF posted:

Tippis-- I didn't say so earlier because I was still toiling over my post, but I appreciated your earlier post about energy weapons. That this thread has so many great authors and the game gets lensed through a hundred POVs from diverse areas of special knowledge makes it not only a constant source of entertainment but education.

I don't recall any single topic discussion area -- in web or Usenet history -- that has proven as compelling a daily read.

My thanks to all of you for continuing to make it so. (And, while I'm posting, thanks to anybody who appreciated the effort post.)

:tipshat:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Any dissenters with When Questions or other sorts of Concerns clearly don't understand Game Development. We received so much money that we just HAD to increase the scope...the backers demanded it and they are the ones we are ultimately accountable to.

Now, to the matter at hand. A substantial portion of gameplay has been delivered, thus no refunds. Furthermore, we haven't missed our delivery deadline of November 2014, because the game is still in Development. It is both too complete and not complete enough for your justified refund request to be fulfilled, I'm afraid. Also the money has already been spent, on Development.

I do apologize but I really must be going now, I'm running late for my 3 o'clock penectomy. Good luck to all of you...see you in the 'Universe.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
:justpost:ing on page 2.2.00

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
g0rf your effortposts make the thread livable

the response to the BBB is going to show up in a courtroom exhibit in a couple years

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thank you, Chris.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

BeefThief posted:

Any dissenters with When Questions or other sorts of Concerns clearly don't understand Game Development. We received so much money that we just HAD to increase the scope...the backers demanded it and they are the ones we are ultimately accountable to.

Now, to the matter at hand. A substantial portion of gameplay has been delivered, thus no refunds. Furthermore, we haven't missed our delivery deadline of November 2014, because the game is still in Development. It is both too complete and not complete enough for your justified refund request to be fulfilled, I'm afraid. Also the money has already been spent, on Development.

I do apologize but I really must be going now, I'm running late for my 3 o'clock penectomy. Good luck to all of you...see you in the 'Universe.

Schrödinger's game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the hell even happens in this thread that you guys are still talking about this train wreck

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Is it weird that when I see o5 I picture some idiot trying to salute but holding their hand backwards.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

kordansk posted:

Is it weird that when I see o5 I picture some idiot trying to salute but holding their hand backwards.

The real Ben salute.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Just make their stupid flying wing bullshit. But instead of the wing rotating, make the cockpit slide up to the top so it's all giant and retarded.

kinda like this, if that makes sense. In the first mode it would be like a sword slicing/ramming through space, and in the second it would be like a shovel, just plowing through parpmeisters en masse:

e: forgot my drat pitcher

You're a weird person, and that gives me a very good idea.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell even happens in this thread that you guys are still talking about this train wreck

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

aleksendr posted:

Something like a slinky with wings ? You could switch between a "straight" mode with the ends pointing forward and back that is fast but with bad turn radius or "bent" mode with both ends pointing at a 45 angle from the center to turn on a dime but is slower on a straight line since you forward thrust is a composite vector ?

1 - Gotta go fast mode :

2- Fast turn mode :

but with the ends pointing at an angle, not both straight back

The ship special abilities could be that in mode #1 it can go very fast but don't really do that much damage and bounce back a lot when it rams and maneuver very well in mode #2.

If you ever played star control the Mmrnmhrm ships where a great example. Fast with bad turn with homing weak weapon in mode 1, slower and quick turner with close range high damage weapon in mode 2

Evil_Greven posted:

Something like a collapsible umbrella?

These are all very good ideas. I think the "collapsible umbrella" is more or less what beet wagon was talking about with his nip pic.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

https://gfycat.com/GrayWideeyedGalapagosalbatross

Looks like Chris' long-promised gradual acceleration from walk to jog to sprint has finally been added. Yet another commitment to "immersion" that renders the prospects of VR immersion unlikely...

Oculus Best Practices posted:

"For VR content, the visual perception of acceleration is a primary culprit for discomfort. This is because the human vestibular system responds to acceleration but not constant velocity. Perceiving acceleration visually without actually applying acceleration to your head or body can lead to discomfort. (See our section on simulator sickness for a more detailed discussion.)

Instantaneous accelerations are more comfortable than gradual accelerations. Because any period of acceleration constitutes a period of conflict between the senses, discomfort will increase as a function of the frequency, size, and duration of acceleration. We generally recommend you minimize the duration and frequency of accelerations as much as possible."
Oops.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

g0rf your effortposts make the thread livable
This thread is great with or without my effort posts. It was gold when I just lurked. So much brilliance, hilarity, arcana, and actionable intel all in one endless unspooling tapestry of space game madness.

Internet Kraken posted:

History, man.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 1, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

10FTC is sometimes a goldmine, but more often it ends up like today. There's only so much humor to be wrung out of him saying "yes" to things every sane person knows isn't going to happen. I get some latent satisfaction that none of the questions were about SQ42 directly, and I hope that bugs him.

Well, it is not as if the questions drop in spontaneously and Chris cant do anything about them... CIG actually filters and chooses the questions from the subscribers. They could also make some of them up for all I know, god forbid.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

For gently caress sake I am going to end up doing this ha ha, OK, I am going in

You are truly a son of the Stimpire.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

When will Star Citizen have the ability to grapple onto a falling ship, only for it and you to crash into a lake? Never.

Yet this is the same engine.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

G0RF posted:

Looks like Chris' long-promised gradual acceleration from walk to jog to sprint has finally been added.

But... that's not really how sprinting works.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Internet Kraken posted:

This thread is like the Philosopher's Stone, except instead of lead being turned to gold it's poo poo and nothingness.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sedisp posted:

But... that's not really how sprinting works.

They're writing their own reality okay?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

trying to get in on 2200

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015
Are we in space yet? Is Crobber a spaceman?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

G0RF posted:

Looks like Chris' long-promised gradual acceleration from walk to jog to sprint has finally been added.

Lol, this is running created by a man who has only dreamed about running.

Can you imagine this poo poo in the now cancelled Star marine? You try and round a corner and your confronted with two enemies down a hallway, and you turn around and your character walks then slowly jogs out of the way of the incoming bullets. The FPS mechanics have been mastered, that's why new iterations of FPS games look so similar, because a decade and a half of game devs have collectively figured out what works best and what gamers like best.

Jesus christ roberts, why did you try to reinvent running?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The moment I saw Parkour Citizen I had to think about Brink. Another game that was a wasted opportunity

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

According to reddit it will involve nested layers of self-organizing networks that split and merge based on some sort of spatial bubble system, which to me sounds like a larger project than actually making any sort of space video game.

And which sounds a lot like the way ED handles instances in their 1:1 scale seamless star system maps for example (peer to peer notwithstanding). CIG revolutionizing gaming again...

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

Do not run on the stations or you will ruin my immersion. I bet this is going to be a fun thing to sit through every time you want to go somewhere.

• Locked thread