Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mirificus posted:

Oh, that Strike Commander:

I think I am beginning to see a pattern emerge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fish Fry Andy posted:

X3 is actually good as gently caress.

Which one? I wiill buy for me this game and play it with my people

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Eonwe posted:

what the gently caress i completely missed this post

someone sum this up for me because i only got as far as "i lost my account" which ranks up there with "MY BROTHER POSTED ON MY ACCOUNT AND GOT ME BANNED HONEST"

yeah that's as far as i got then skimmed for some keywords and summed it up as :gary: PAAAAAAARP PAARP PARRP PAAAAAAAARP!!~~

nobody who espouses to have been around SA for so long would post that lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

what the gently caress i completely missed this post

someone sum this up for me because i only got as far as "i lost my account" which ranks up there with "MY BROTHER POSTED ON MY ACCOUNT AND GOT ME BANNED HONEST"

I'll sum it up:
Guys a fuckwit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dont ever make a post that long in this thread unless you are derek smart

thanks in advance

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

LOL!!! Man, you guys are tough :)

If it's any consolation after actually reading the whole thing I changed my vote from :gas: to "a pretty good recap of events for anyone that isn't already familiar with this fiasco". The problem is that we weren't expecting a recap we were expecting fresh meat and that hype as largely of your own making.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

man if you think that guy's what a True Believer sounds like then this thread really is an echo chamber, there are some real legit crazy people but that guy just seems like he thinks some of Derek Smart's claims are overblown and Sandi does a good job at her job, which is selling ships to mentally ill people. He's probably wrong about the imgur thing though

If you actually read his post, it is veiled as impartial but is really completely biased in favor of CIG and Star Citizen. The points he concede are minimal and obvious to anyone even true believers

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sedisp posted:

I frikkin LOLED really hard that you would bother to pretend you had an old account.

Yeah, they're trying to infil the ranks. Let them come. :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why is everything in crowd funding disaster Star Citizen so generic and bland if it's created by a creative genius?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

You are definitely wrong about the imgur thing. We have a pretty accurate timeline of what images got taken down and from where it's almost impossible it was a goon from here as we mention when we first found out it was a bot because it took down derek's OP post and then cooking images from this thread. It was very clearly a scripted bot to take down images from SA thread and images that were in galleries as the same ones in the SA thread. Sorry mate that came from reddit.

The reason it's an echo chamber in here is because nothing you really just ranted on about has any real weight we are here for the comedy not to destroy star citizen. They are doing a good enough job doing that themselves and their followers as well. Its literally crazy to put money into this game right now with the amount of red flags and so most people agree outside of the reddit echo chamber it's a scam. You think it's an SA only opinion? it's not go look at the referral program and how SC backers got laughed at by literally every single internet community about it. Imgur folks dumped all over you guys just as much as SA did.

Hell the dude who is a venture capitalist is trying to get his money out because he thinks the project is doomed. Waste your 60 buck no one here is going to shed a tear. The fact that you fell for some of the gags in this thread says a lot already.

Also laying off an entire studio working in your cheapest area in the States is most definitely a money problem I don't even know how you could trick yourself to think otherwise.

edit: That is not even mentioning the shady stuff they are doing with refunds and having 10+ shell companies and not filing any of their finances breaking the loving law in the UK. None of those things are setting off huge blaring warning bells in your head? Naw its just the goon hive mind at work here.

Yup. And I kept getting yelled at for not using the image tags correctly. That was weird because each time I changed it, by the time I came back, it was gone again.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Agrajag posted:

with posting like that there is no way you're a loving 07 or whatever. how much do you have in jpegs?

hes not 07, hes o7

BastionPete
Nov 4, 2015

Libluini posted:

Man that's harsh. So you think a Redditor attacked subreddit imgur posts out of pure malice, instead of just stupidity? You're too cynical for me.
If that guy didn't immediately get incinerated by a lightning strike, God doesn't exist.

Chalks posted:

So what are you saying? Nobody targeted this thread, they just targeted the front page of reddit and by coincidence a bunch of cat pictures and pictures of food that we happened to post here where also taken down? Yeah that's a totally rational explanation.
This attack went on for days and people pretty much immediately started including additional reddit content in posts. Like within the first 30 mins of it starting.
I guess life's just an infinite mystery and nobody could possibly deduce what happened here.

tooterfish posted:

It wasn't Star Citizen pictures that were being reported, it was any picture posted in the thread.
Why don't you have a look and see for yourself. This post contained a picture of someone's catte. Someone's catte in a box.

MeLKoR posted:

You are wrong and this makes no sense at all. Why the gently caress would we go the roundabout way to get pictures banned from reddit by putting a bot running on our own thread when we could just point that bot at the target subreddit? :psyduck: Our thread was hit first and pictures of loving cats were getting deleted before reddit even noticed it. Only after they started bitching about it did we (myself included) start deliberately linking to everything we could find on Reddit just to gently caress with them. The proof that we were the victims and not the perpetrators is that everything we linked in here was getting deleted in a matter of minutes, even stupid poo poo that had nothing to do with SC.
I never said that this thread wasn't targeted maliciously. Some retard redditor thought it would be funny I guess. The only thing I'm saying is that it wasn't a friendly fire incident. If one stupid redditor can do it, I'm sure someone else can do it back to reddit.
The news hit on Reddit first, I know because I saw the thread pop up on the /r/dereksmart subreddit, and checked it out myself. I saw that obscure posts from years ago that never would have been posted here were down. It took a few hours before this thread noticed at all (and started posting links to more reddit images LOL). Again, I never said that the redditors bot wasn't going through this thread at all, I just said that the original strike on reddit was a separate attack and deliberate. As to who did it... I don't know and will probably never know.

MeLKoR posted:

I don't think a diploma is mandatory for people to do their job right but if we are talking about a multi million multi national project I'd expect the Marketing VP to be chosen on either his/her academic qualifications or proven work experience, Sandi seems to lack the former and definitely lacks the latter. You attribute the success of the pre-sales to her influence, I say that the game just came at a perfect time when it was the only game in town to cater to every nostalgic space fantasy of moneyed nerds. Her reaction to the D_Smart controversy only reinforced my idea that the project was a success despite her, not because of her.
And despite any questions on her competency as a Marketing VP nepotism is still a completely valid criticism because it raises the question of how much influence did she have on the CEO's decision to spend dozens(?) of millions of dollars getting big Hollywood names that she, a aspiring failed actress could then work with to patch her resume. So we have a (possibly) non-qualified Marketing VP that doubles as an actress for the project and triples as the CEOs wife and is getting payed accordingly, no doubt. I'd say nepotism is very much a valid issue.
You question her competency and claim that she could have persuaded CR to hire Gary Oldman to boost her failed acting career. That sounds like an unfounded conspiracy theory to me, I don't see any reason why I should believe that is the case. I mean, it MAY be true, like some conspiracy theories do turn out to be true, but you don't have a shred of evidence for that.
As to whether she was instrumental or not in the marketing of the company, or whether the funding would have gone the way it did without her... well, elite dangerous rocked up at the same time and hasn't had the same level of funding success, so I don't think that is true. You don't just raise $94 million by chance.

Reason posted:

Yeah Right.
It is a problem if an amateur hour marketer lies and markets a whole bunch of stuff that is never going to be in the game and essentially just sells a 'game' that will won't exist.
I agree that CIG over-promised and will probably have to drop some features, that said, I never saw Sandi over-promising. It was normally CR in 10FTC.

Sardonik posted:

Should have been written:
I don't believe these numbers for an instant. They are not accountable to anybody with these numbers, and it would be child's play to manipulate them. There are a lot of idiots on the internet with money who fall for this poo poo, but not enough to produce these numbers, especially with the shitshow that was citcon, and the increasingly bad press CIG have been getting. A number that suspiciously good smells like desperation trying to keep the bubble from bursting, and encouraging people to donate.
Somebody who gives way too much of a gently caress should analyze their fundraising activity relative to their forum activity. I'd be interested to see how those track.
Well if you're right then we're in for a shitstorm. I see no evidence of this however. Also forum activity isn't a great way of analysing funding. The SC forums are the most toxic set of forums I've ever seen and lots of people avoid them. It's even more of an insane echochamber than reddit.

SirPhoebos posted:

Welcome BastionPete.
First, no need to say you had an account from 2007 that you lost. Even if it's true, no one cares.
Second, you sound like a mostly rational person, unlike some other SC supporters that have come here. Be sure to read the forum rules, and as long as you don't make an rear end of yourself no one here will bite your head off.
I've mostly been lurking in this thread, so I'll let goons that have been involved with SC respond to your points. But one thing I'm curious about : as someone that still believes SC will be released, what do you think the game is going to be?
Oh, and :gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRP
gently caress knows. Depends on if they run out of money or not right? lol. I reckon they can make a reasonable game that they have been talking about. A lot of crazy poo poo they talk about (alien languages, etc.) may well not make it, but I don't really care that much about that tbh.

Also
:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Edit: and about my old account. I wasn't pretending to be an old SA forumite lol. I was just prefacing why I brought platinum. I had like 20 posts on my old account, total throwaway comment.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BastionPete posted:

I never said that this thread wasn't targeted maliciously. Some retard redditor thought it would be funny I guess. The only thing I'm saying is that it wasn't a friendly fire incident. If one stupid redditor can do it, I'm sure someone else can do it back to reddit.
The news hit on Reddit first, I know because I saw the thread pop up on the /r/dereksmart subreddit, and checked it out myself. I saw that obscure posts from years ago that never would have been posted here were down. It took a few hours before this thread noticed at all (and started posting links to more reddit images LOL). Again, I never said that the redditors bot wasn't going through this thread at all, I just said that the original strike on reddit was a separate attack and deliberate. As to who did it... I don't know and will probably never know.

You question her competency and claim that she could have persuaded CR to hire Gary Oldman to boost her failed acting career. That sounds like an unfounded conspiracy theory to me, I don't see any reason why I should believe that is the case. I mean, it MAY be true, like some conspiracy theories do turn out to be true, but you don't have a shred of evidence for that.
As to whether she was instrumental or not in the marketing of the company, or whether the funding would have gone the way it did without her... well, elite dangerous rocked up at the same time and hasn't had the same level of funding success, so I don't think that is true. You don't just raise $94 million by chance.

I agree that CIG over-promised and will probably have to drop some features, that said, I never saw Sandi over-promising. It was normally CR in 10FTC.

Well if you're right then we're in for a shitstorm. I see no evidence of this however. Also forum activity isn't a great way of analysing funding. The SC forums are the most toxic set of forums I've ever seen and lots of people avoid them. It's even more of an insane echochamber than reddit.

gently caress knows. Depends on if they run out of money or not right? lol. I reckon they can make a reasonable game that they have been talking about. A lot of crazy poo poo they talk about (alien languages, etc.) may well not make it, but I don't really care that much about that tbh.

Also

dont do this

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kakarot posted:

hes not 07, hes o7

o7 o7 o7 o7 o7 o7 o7 o7 o7 o7

ggwp :gary:

BastionPete posted:

try harding

you're trying waaay too hard m8, o7

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

The reason it's an echo chamber in here is because nothing you really just ranted on about has any real weight we are here for the comedy not to destroy star citizen. T

Word.

:gary:

Seriously, despite the shenanigans going on here, it's like these people are just either too dense to "get it", or they're just too dense - period.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
well in my opinion I

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

peter gabriel posted:

Which one? I wiill buy for me this game and play it with my people

Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict are both good, but AP has the Litcube Universe mod which is really excellent, but not beginner friendly.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Valatar posted:

I don't recognize this.

It's Infinity: Battlescape, currently a kickstarter which just got a shout out from the Chairman
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15037-Note-From-The-Chairman-Infinity-Battlescape

I'm luck enough to have access to the prototype, which is really just a demo of the engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTFpKlH1LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBd5Kf9WCoI

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BastionPete posted:

lol ok

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Guys, I think stari citizen raised 90m dollars because of Sandi's good marketing and not the nostalgia and cult of personality that is C Roberts and Wang Coomander.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

I pledged

To keep the shitposting going.

I may never get a Derek's Smarties, but at least I'll have a Grimey Drawer.

Wait! wth did you pledge to now? Haven't you learned ANYTHING!! ? :)

:gary:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

peter gabriel posted:

well in my opinion I

i agree your cats are ugly

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Prop Wash posted:

man if you think that guy's what a True Believer sounds like then this thread really is an echo chamber, there are some real legit crazy people but that guy just seems like he thinks some of Derek Smart's claims are overblown and Sandi does a good job at her job, which is selling ships to mentally ill people. He's probably wrong about the imgur thing though

Read it again, this time as if you think the guy is lying to you. That's damage control and positive CIG spin and why the hell would anyone with $60 in effort post that crazy bold heading stuff and then gently caress off without replying. That guy has been touched by Roberts.

Edit, opinion unchanged.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 5, 2015

BastionPete
Nov 4, 2015

Eonwe posted:

dont do this
Why not?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

shut up i mean thanks for the :20bux:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Did Derek Smart just respond to an argument without an insanely long list of counterpoints and/or lawsuit threats?

The future sure is weird.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

No, keep doing it. Take it all seriously and respond as if everyone here is taking it seriously. You'll go far.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nobody is going to read your long rear end posts about how totally not lovely star citizen is disguised as you being impartial unless they are doing it ironically to make a joke or something

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Nichole "batgirl" D'Angelo has already started moving on to other things...
Dang, you weren't kidding...

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

mormonpartyboat posted:

just low and slow. 225 is OK for most anything, and you want it at that temp and smoking before you throw the meat on. "time" isn't really important (since the fire will never stay at a constant heat), so what really matters is internal temperature - you want baby backs at like 160 internal. should take about 5-6 hours. lower and slower go hand in hand, so if you really want to smoke baby backs for 10 hours you can do it, just not at 225. once you get the hang of it, there's all kinds of neat tricks to play with like foil and brining and sear finishing and poo poo like that but the basics are key

there's a million bullshit One Weird Tricks out there but the only really important bits are getting good thermometers so you know what's going on and paper toweling the meat dry before seasoning it.

if you dont feel like eyeballing a thermostat for hours and have spaceship money to burn, you can get something like a traeger pellet smoker and let it take care of the annoying part

Thank you. I think the first thing I need to do is get a good thermometer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

It's amazing how bad reddit is in denial about that report bot it makes literally zero sense that we would do it. We are laughing at those images its what we do. Reddit perpetually gets mad about the poo poo that we post here is also infamous for censoring things they don't like through downvoting (Ps goons don't do this.) and to top it all off the prime suspect for doing it had a imgur replacement ready literally the next day for his ilk.

That is not even including the evidence that this thread and every goon Start citizen thread not archived got targeted. People's pictures of their cats in old threads got taken down that we don't even post in anymore. You are a lunatic if you think goons did it at this point. Keep self owning though thats cool.

Also note that this happened merely 48rs after I apparently "doxed" Dolvak (the creator of the lovely replacement site). Coincidence?

Hey Reddit! Attack this!!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

BastionPete posted:

Also

Edit: and about my old account. I wasn't pretending to be an old SA forumite lol. I was just prefacing why I brought platinum. I had like 20 posts on my old account, total throwaway comment.

saying you were banned in 07 for making horrible posts like this one would make you more believable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agrajag posted:

i agree your cats are ugly

U WOT

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pay $10 to have your old account unbanned

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

illectro posted:

It's Infinity: Battlescape, currently a kickstarter which just got a shout out from the Chairman
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15037-Note-From-The-Chairman-Infinity-Battlescape

I'm luck enough to have access to the prototype, which is really just a demo of the engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTFpKlH1LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBd5Kf9WCoI

That looks cool, I like that.
Looks better than the absolute loving nonsense bullshit that Star Citizen promises to bore us with

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

I poo poo ON THEM MATE

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

hes not 07, hes o7

:hfive:

BastionPete
Nov 4, 2015

Eonwe posted:

nobody is going to read your long rear end posts about how totally not lovely star citizen is disguised as you being impartial unless they are doing it ironically to make a joke or something
Well some people took the time to reply in a semi-serious fashion, so I replied. My bad.

AP posted:

Read it again, this time as if you think the guy is lying to you. That's damage control and positive CIG spin and why the hell would anyone with $60 in effort post that crazy bold heading stuff and then gently caress off without replying. That guy has been touched by Roberts.
Haha, I was watching Insurgent. It was a poo poo film and I wasted two hours of my life. Sorry I don't check this thread religiously every second.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

peter gabriel posted:

I'll sum it up:
Guys a fuckwit

Yes indeed, but still doesn't take away from the fact that your avatar is loving awesome....
Never forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So I haven't been paying attention to the thread in 2 days, did we win Star Citizen?

• Locked thread