Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

It's almost unbelievable that they're asking people this.

Option 1:

They record this fake DIY foley stuff as bait for this thread and reveal it was bait for this thread during their next sale to great applause and much spending on imaginary spaceships. No Star Citizen ever admits to having praised it.

Option 2:

They have nothing to show for development any time soon, panic and decide that 'hey you know that foley sound recording? that is something we can make footage of right here in the office!' and nobody stops to check that this is actually how its done before they have put it out in their promotional videos posing as triple A budget game development. Some goober had those grenades as desk decorations.

Option 3:

This is how they are actually recording sound for their game now.

Option 4:

They are taking the piss out of their own backers. 'Is there anything they wont defend?'

The fun thing is due to the sheer fuckery around everything Star Citizen its almost impossible to pick one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Oh man is it happening again? I guess they worked the bugs out of Stargur.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

MeLKoR posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck :negative:

What's awesome about this is that we've managed to convince this guy that zecumbe is a goon. Even my typing this will reinforce in his mind that he's a goon. But he's not.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Oh my.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dusty Lens posted:

Oh man is it happening again? I guess they worked the bugs out of Stargur.

Naw, that was me and a case of wrong buttan

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is my sound 'card'

It uses ASIO drivers, it needs these to remove latency when recording multiple tracks over USB and in general when interfacing with Cubase etc.

A computer game does not need ASIO drivers wft are they even thinking?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Daztek posted:

Naw, that was me and a case of wrong buttan

You french and pressing wrong buttons :argh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

SomethingJones posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496779/#Comment_6496779

"As a US Marine with several combat tours, I can tell you from first hand experience that military gear does not rattle that much. If it does, we tape it up with electrical tape so that it does not. The metallic rattling in the preview video was very excessive and needs to be scaled back quite a bit.

here are a few videos I pulled up on youtube that show some common sounds."

^ confirmed. The squad leader will make you jump up and down to ensure your gear is quiet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Can anyone here tell me what AAA Star Citizen currently 'blows away'?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Seems there have been a few more newcomers to SA thanks to this thread so I've transcribed this so that you may understand better...

New CIG Exile posted:

I've paid my :10bux: and joined the filthy goon horde. What do I get for my money?

Crisp Boberts posted:

So uh... when paid... uh PLEDGED your 10 dollars we kinda thought you'd have things like... uh. FORUMS! Like there's this place called Goons With Spoons which will sort of be where you can talk about FOOD and kinda post recipes and other users will... mumblethud... USE your recipes to make food that they can then EAT and that'll sort of give you energy or if you eat too much it could sort of.. make you FATTER. Then there's this area called YLLS where you can.. kinda go because you've got FAT, and they'll tell you how to EXERCISE. Or you might.. *licks lips* post about that hideous growth that you've got and people would point and laugh and be kinda grossed out... BUT, uh.. others might be kind of that's a X type growth or Y type or whatever and help you out.

Another place there might be is like..uh, a GAMES forum where most threads will be kinda posting about real games and stuff like that but you could post about a sort of game that's being DEVELOPED and how great it's going to be or whatever.. flumpfgrumble.. people might be READING what you've wrote and..sort of CHANGE their development plans based on that. There might be ah.. a place where you can post about uhm.. CARS or computer hardware or pets or something like that and people would.. SPORTS! Definitely sports where you could kind of say well uh.. this team is best or the Dallas Dodgers are better of something like that.

Some people might wanna post about more serious stuff like err.. politics or um.. DRUGS and there would be a place for that and there would be places where you could just post funny stuff or jokes or... uh NONSENSE or whatever you want. You might be good at drawing and think 'I wanna.. kind of.. post my drawings' and sort of show people the.. what you're doing and other people might then come in and say 'well, you should maybe try doing this or maybe try not being so bad at that' or whatever. Uhh.. and that would apply to EVERYTHING you can probably think of, like uh.. drawing and music or.. pherluffle ..drawing and woodwork and everything else. Some people might uh.. want to post about uh.. TV or comics or MOVIES. So someone might say 'I saw this really awesome film called Ring Commando' and everyone else would sort of agree with them and talk about how good it was.

So yeah, you sort of get everything all in one place.. like spaceships and cattes and kinda POSTING and it's all.. there's really.. I get kinda annoyed sometimes when I see new backers posting 'Where is this post?' or 'Is there a post on kayaks?' or whatever.. I could tell you about posts that I've kinda.. SEEN or whatever but now your here YOU CAN POST, you can READ. That's what we said you would get on Something Awful and that's what you can do right now.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe that decrease in latency might allow their PC to increase the frame rate by 1 FPS?

Maybe they are starting to aid in Star Citizen's development...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Elite: Dangerous for starters

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Illfonic sound design: https://vimeo.com/138360203

CIG sound redesign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=3275s

Holy poo poo is this real? The CIG redesign legit makes everyone sound like Lesnick waddling in spandex.

:negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

Elite: Dangerous for starters

Owned

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Ravane posted:

Holy poo poo is this real? The CIG redesign legit makes everyone sound like Lesnick waddling in spandex.

Then it would be much more accurate, based on their target audience.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

This is my sound 'card'

It uses ASIO drivers, it needs these to remove latency when recording multiple tracks over USB and in general when interfacing with Cubase etc.

they're trying to reinvent the wheel again and call it "immersion"

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I am glad I will be able to realize my dream of being a space janitor, running around with all my jangling keys.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Question: what is ASIO and why is it so crazy that Star Citizen is considering using it?

Conspiracy Theory: CIG has to make new sounds because it doesn't want to pay Illfonic for the sounds they made.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

This is my sound 'card'

That's not your card! I see no dedicated banjo input.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sperglord posted:

Question: what is ASIO and why is it so crazy that Star Citizen is considering using it?

Conspiracy Theory: CIG has to make new sounds because it doesn't want to pay Illfonic for the sounds they made.

ASIO is a driver used in audio recording to reduce latency, usually goes like this:

Guitar / whatever instrument > Audio interface *ASIO driver does it's magic here* > Recording software.

Without ASIO it's impossible for most hardware to record stuff without it being laggy, and therefore useless

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wrecked Angle posted:

Seems there have been a few more newcomers to SA thanks to this thread so I've transcribed this so that you may understand better...

lmfao

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Sperglord posted:

ASIO are low-level sound drivers. With that you can access input and output of your soundcard with a very low latency. Usually used for recording/outputting real-time devices like guitars where you can't afford to have a high latency.

e;fb

darkarchon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 25, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

I think I've spotted the part where your assumptions lead you astray…

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That or they broke contract in some way with Illfonic and are unable to use anything that Illfonic created, from maps to animations to audio, resulting in CIG having nothing to show for the years of development time.

That strikes me as more consistent with the events that transpired than CR throwing up his hands at the last second and shouting that they'll redo everything internally. CIG hasn't been terribly shy about shoveling out poo poo and promising that it's a few pipeline refactorizations away from being spun into gold.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

runsamok posted:

That's not your card! I see no dedicated banjo input.

I have a mic :smug:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I'm pretty sure even licking a AAA battery would be more enjoyable than playing Star Citizen.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Without ASIO it's impossible for most hardware to record stuff without it being laggy, and therefore useless

The main issue is the latency, the higher the latency of your output compared to your input the more difficult it is to actually play something. It's not completely useless but much harder. You could just ignore what the computer is outputting and listening to your own instrument instead, with that you could record stuff.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tippis posted:

More accurately: it's the only right way to do it, there's no need to repeat mistakes that were learned in the 1920s and '40s. As someone pointed out, the amount of sound they're trying to mix and the number of sources of those sounds just make it a directionless swirl of white noise. Not that it's inherently bad to have many sound sources, but you need to understand which ones are actually important to hear and which ones should be muted at any given time.

What they're doing is essentially the same mistake they're doing with their “immersive” visuals and VR: they assume, contrary to all proven experience, that you want to simulate everything that is happening and shove it right down the player's throat. “We should have this chair animation because that's what happens when you sit in a chair”; “we should have headbob because your head moves up and down”; we should have every item make a noise because every item does.” All of these are technically true, but they are irrelevant to the process of making a useful, believable environment because we have this huge pattern-matching DSP-like blob of fat between our ears that filters out all of that junk and only shows us what we need to pay attention to. That's the job the audio (and visual) designers have to do for us in a video game — it's not to overload the brain with input that it has no control over.

You don't even have to go poke at SONY engineers to understand this. Just look at the behind-the-scenes of any somewhat competently made film. If there's a section on sound editing, there will pretty much always be a comment about how you can't use every sound because that becomes awful to listen to and will ruin the film like little else can. The Mûmakils in LOTR have four legs — they still make a “STOMP … STOMP … STOMP” sound (rather than the quiet shuffleshuffleshuffleshuffle you'd get from an actual elephant) because that's the impression of weight and impending doom you want to convey to the audience.

Its like the head bobbing, the brain filters that out. The same is true for sounds, when I go on a backpacking trip I almost never hear the sound of my backpack, my brain has filtered that out. You stop hearing your PC fans because they just turn into background noise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
ASIO / other drivers have nothing to do with sound effects or any audio that is on your hard drive, they are there to reduce latency from an input device.
One you have a dozen tracks recorded into Cubase you can uninstall the ASIO drivers if you like and it won't matter at all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
our game has so much fidelity that you have to download custom audio drivers

we're going to gently caress your earhole with our fidelity

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

ASIO / other drivers have nothing to do with sound effects or any audio that is on your hard drive, they are there to reduce latency from an input device.
One you have a dozen tracks recorded into Cubase you can uninstall the ASIO drivers if you like and it won't matter at all.

could this be like some kind of marketing gimmick? like our sound design is so amazing and ambitious you need CUSTOM DRIVERS

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Eonwe posted:

my wife told me I'd never make myself spend the money, so she preordered me a Vive this morning

Good women there.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

darkarchon posted:

The main issue is the latency, the higher the latency of your output compared to your input the more difficult it is to actually play something. It's not completely useless but much harder. You could just ignore what the computer is outputting and listening to your own instrument instead, with that you could record stuff.

Agreed, I guess the point I am making is ASIO is not related to sound effects that the game installs onto your hard drive, so they are up to something potentially interesting and therefore with CIG potentially hilarious

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Even my typing this will reinforce in his mind that he's a goon. But he's not.

I'd like to point out that what this goon says is entirely true. Zecumbe is not a goon.

*wink*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

could this be like some kind of marketing gimmick? like our sound design is so amazing and ambitious you need CUSTOM DRIVERS

Hmmmm, not really because there are a lot of people out there who know what this stuff is for and they will be 'wtf' about it.
if it is ASIO it is 100% idiotic, so all signs point to it being ASIO, but I also think someone has dropped the 'positional audio' buzzword into a conversation so now Chris wants 100,000.1 surround sound or something.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I won't be satisfied with the fidelity unless we get a customized Star Citizen OS running on custom hardware.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Mumble, but I remember when it was first picking up steam my friend tried to tell me it has positional audio, like if he was far away in game and I had that enabled I wouldn't be able to hear him very well

and its like

nah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

boviscopophobic posted:

I won't be satisfied with the fidelity unless we get a customized Star Citizen OS running on custom hardware.

Star Machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

The skipping dinner remark is a classic. Good indicator someone has no loving idea how many calories they are consuming. Really though this is the norm for Americans and not a knock on Ben

take a sabbatical from this poo poo house company and start weighing portions and counting calories dude

• Locked thread