Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Skellybones posted:

Actually can you do one with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

I know absolutely nothing about photography outside of jpegs being lovely quality. What i meant was, was the picture taken and then just converted without running it through filters for that effect minus converting to a jpeg?

There are no filters, no, but conversion from RAW to JPEG implies adjusting things like white balance, hue, contrast, dynamic range, sharpness, saturation etc.
So no, it's not what you'd get if you were to just click Save. That would be equal to just saving to JPEG in camera.

RAW is RAW. Raw data from the imaging unit, containing more colour information and dynamic range than a JPEG would or could.
During conversion from RAW, you filter, remap and scale that data until you get what you want, what it looked like to your eyes, or what you think it should look like.

Think of it like this:
- let's say camera records the colour red as spanning the range from 0-1000 throughout the pixels of a particular image
- let's say most of the image depicts Ben's face, and it's average value of redness is 250
- if you remap the red values, so what used to be range 0-250 now spans 0-750, while what used to be 250-1000 now spans 750-1000, Ben's face will become way way redder than it used to be

Is that a "filter effect" or photo manipulation? Yes, sure it is. It's a contrast curve. And any JPEG photo you get out of a camera has one already applied to it. Heck, even developing a strip of film and developing positives from it has its own contrast curve (mapping function).

In other words, defining what is and what isn't "running through filters" or photo manipulation is a very tricky thing.
Apart from the image hitting your retina directly, EVERYTHING runs through SOME kind of a filter. Heck, even your retina and brain apply contrast, saturation etc. corrections to things you see around you all the time. Don't believe me? Put on some old-fashioned anaglyph red/blue (3D) glasses on, walk around in the sun for a while, come back inside, take the glasses off, then stare at a blank piece of white paper with one eye, then try the other eye. You'll see the paper appears cyan-tinted with one eye and red-tinted with the other.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
"Wilmslow is a town in Cheshire, England, that is 11 mi (18 km) south of Manchester. The area, which lies between Handforth and similarly affluent Alderley Edge, is known for its upmarket lifestyle and its many rich and famous residents"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Like something from big trouble in little china

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

I will always love Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 up until the ending

Skellybones posted:

Parpman's Plateau

For posterity

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

jpegs use a lossy compression algorithm (although you can run it as a loss less), meaning that it will add artifacts to an image. Halo and ringing effects, most people would not really see them and as such its fine for most people who just shoot photo's on your phone or even just for fun. But if you are going to do any post effects or editing you don't want those artifacts, if you are going to print really large formats you don't want to have them either. Because most random images a person will take will contain a "messy" random pattern those artifacts are "hidden". Jpegs are really bad at high frequency transitions, for instance text on a page, going from white to black is high frequency content and as such jpegs really screw them up. But in any case unless you are a pro/simi pro photographer, or you are going to do image processing on the image jpegs are just fine.

Lossy compression is just tip of the iceberg, though.

A RAW image is typically 12-bit, sometimes 14-bit, and contains a much wider dynamic range than an 8-bit JPEG.
On top of that, the range is much more linear than the one in a JPEG, and there is no sharpening (unsharp masking) applied.

Unlike with a JPEG, this allows you to extract more information out of highlights and shadows, by customizing the mapping function (contrast or gamma curve) based on the particular image you're converting. An in-camera JPEG would typically have either a canned gamma curve applied, usually geared towards "punchiness" or most often encountered distributions of pixel values. And without fancy things like local tonemapping.

And once it's "flattened" like that, there's no coming back. The sky that just got blown out to pure white is white forever in a JPEG. There's no rescuing colour information from those pixels, it's gone.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

orcinus posted:

There are no filters, no, but conversion from RAW to JPEG implies adjusting things like white balance, hue, contrast, dynamic range, sharpness, saturation etc.
So no, it's not what you'd get if you were to just click Save. That would be equal to just saving to JPEG in camera.

RAW is RAW. Raw data from the imaging unit, containing more colour information and dynamic range than a JPEG would or could.
During conversion from RAW, you filter, remap and scale that data until you get what you want, what it looked like to your eyes, or what you think it should look like.

Think of it like this:
- let's say camera records the colour red as spanning the range from 0-1000 throughout the pixels of a particular image
- let's say most of the image depicts Ben's face, and it's average value of redness is 250
- if you remap the red values, so what used to be range 0-250 now spans 0-750, while what used to be 250-1000 now spans 750-1000, Ben's face will become way way redder than it used to be

Is that a "filter effect" or photo manipulation? Yes, sure it is. It's a contrast curve. And any JPEG photo you get out of a camera has one already applied to it. Heck, even developing a strip of film and developing positives from it has its own contrast curve (mapping function).

In other words, defining what is and what isn't "running through filters" or photo manipulation is a very tricky thing.
Apart from the image hitting your retina directly, EVERYTHING runs through SOME kind of a filter. Heck, even your retina and brain apply contrast, saturation etc. corrections to things you see around you all the time. Don't believe me? Put on some old-fashioned anaglyph red/blue (3D) glasses on, walk around in the sun for a while, come back inside, take the glasses off, then stare at a blank piece of white paper with one eye, then try the other eye. You'll see the paper appears cyan-tinted with one eye and red-tinted with the other.

The funny thing is that camera's could save as a PNG and you would get the same information as a RAW image, but it would have smaller file sizes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

okay so, why does this thread get so many posts?

I don't really know why, but there are a lot of people here who love to make fun of CIG (the people that are making this "game"). If the game were bad, that would be one thing. The reason so many people post here, at least IMO, is less because of the bad "game" and more because of how poorly CIG handles everything it does as well as how willing star citizen backers are to accept whatever bullshit CIG feeds them. And CIG does some bizarrre things. They literally read this thread and their decisionmaking is affected by it.

It's also a tiny island of GBS in games.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

The funny thing is that camera's could save as a PNG and you would get the same information as a RAW image, but it would have smaller file sizes.

Nope. Completely wrong.
RAW image from a camera is very very different than a PNG.

A 16-bit TIFF would come close, but again, would not be the same as a RAW image, especially for cameras* that require atypical demosaicing algorithms.

*imagers, actually

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

caught up with the thread!

also our thread mascot is really cool

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Thanks so much for responding to all of this so I don't have to.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A potential subscriber: "I say this because I'm not sure how stable my income will be shortly, and I may have to take a hiatus from subscribing if I have to 'penny-pinch'."

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/325852/subscribing-incontinuously-and-getting-your-name-in-the-game-or-coupon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sickening posted:

After some of the rants he has gone on, do you really believe that he is pleasant to work for? At this point the only thing he has on Chris is that his game was actually finished.

...yet, in 30 years of my being in the industry, not a peep about anything of the sort. Nice try though. Then there's this...

You're now 2/3. The 3rd one shoves you in the ignore list.

ps: Hello from p3027 to all you Shitizens out there waiting for me to catch up!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I'm off to sleep.
Wake me up when CIG crumbles.

Parting gift puppe:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Has anyone said Star poo pooizen yet?

Bolded the humorous bit so you don't miss it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Grand Admiral - $2500+

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6545644/#Comment_6545644

Nov 3, 2015

orcinus posted:

Lossy compression is just tip of the iceberg, though.

A RAW image is typically 12-bit, sometimes 14-bit, and contains a much wider dynamic range than an 8-bit JPEG.
On top of that, the range is much more linear than the one in a JPEG, and there is no sharpening (unsharp masking) applied.

Unlike with a JPEG, this allows you to extract more information out of highlights and shadows, by customizing the mapping function (contrast or gamma curve) based on the particular image you're converting. An in-camera JPEG would typically have either a canned gamma curve applied, usually geared towards "punchiness" or most often encountered distributions of pixel values. And without fancy things like local tonemapping.

And once it's "flattened" like that, there's no coming back. The sky that just got blown out to pure white is white forever in a JPEG. There's no rescuing colour information from those pixels, it's gone.

It depends on the format. Not all camera's shoot in 12-bit or 14-bit, but that does mean more contrast, nor does it mean more dynamic range. The higher the bit rate the more quantization levels you will be able to have, it does not necessary mean that you will have more of dynamic range. Now what Jpeg compression does is remove that dynamic range in order to save space in its compressing, and that is the real reason you see that effect.

That is not really accurate, its not about rescuing color information, that information is there, it is just that a filter has been applied. You also can go back, its just a pain and not really worth it. Just like you can remove motion blur and camera shake after the fact, if you know the algorithms to do so. Its no different then if you took a RAW changed it around then saved it again. You can still apply filters and fix a lot that is in a JPEG the same way as you would in a RAW, the only difference is what your starting point is.

Edit: Along with the other artifact effects that are added during the compression. Those are the real problem as you can't fix that.

1500 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 8, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Milky Moor posted:

lol good job running off eightace you loving spergs

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Just post, don't harass

Fucks sake

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

RSI Forums: Horse Mounts

Nov 3, 2015

orcinus posted:

Nope. Completely wrong.
RAW image from a camera is very very different than a PNG.

A 16-bit TIFF would come close, but again, would not be the same as a RAW image, especially for cameras* that require atypical demosaicing algorithms.

*imagers, actually

lol no, you are incorrect. PNG supports up to 32 bit, and would be the same.

RAW is nothing more then storing the data directly. Although its not actually raw because each camera manufacture adds information to the file for its own reasons. A true raw file would just be the data its self with out header lines or other overhead added by companies. Because a PNG and TIFF can be done with with lossless compression there is ZERO difference in terms of the picture data. The only difference is that each of those formats will compress that data in order to save space, but the actual pix information is the exact same.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

It depends on the format. Not all camera's shoot in 12-bit or 14-bit, but that does mean more contrast, nor does it mean more dynamic range. The higher the bit rate the more quantization levels you will be able to have, it does not necessary mean that you will have more of dynamic range. Now what Jpeg compression does is remove that dynamic range in order to save space in its compressing, and that is the real reason you see that effect.

That is not really accurate, its not about rescuing color information, that information is there, it is just that a filter has been applied. You also can go back, its just a pain and not really worth it. Just like you can remove motion blur and camera shake after the fact, if you know the algorithms to do so. Its no different then if you took a RAW changed it around then saved it again. You can still apply filters and fix a lot that is in a JPEG the same way as you would in a RAW, the only difference is what your starting point is.

Whoever said anything about bits meaning "more contrast"?
And yes, preserving the full quantization level range does mean more dynamic range in this case, because, as i've said, RAW data has a very flat gamma curve. Think about it.

Everything else you just wrote is total nonsense.
Come back after you've spent 20 years doing film and digital photography, picked some RAW files apart and patched dcraw source.

PS: please do explain to me how a RAW file from a Foveon sensor, or a 45 degree rotated CMOS array is the same as a PNG, oh wise one.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rudager posted:

This confuses me, are they handcrafting planets or generating them with a procedural algorithm?

They are handcrafting the pipeline that will procedurally generate planets.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Skipping to the end of the thread…

So, in that video or AtV episode, do they actually show anything to suggest that the planet in question is procedurally generated? A guy standing on a rolling hill overlooking a bunch of mountain just shows that CryEngine has terrain and long(ish) draw distance — woooo — but we knew that from having played Far Cry. If they wanted to show off procedural generation, why not show… you know… the generation and how it is affected when they feed different parameters into the procedure?

I mean, the could at least have attempted to fake it by splicing in some Bryce footage or something, but that little clip shows absolutely nothing. Is there any actual evidence to support the notion that they have any kind of procedural tech at all? Or are we witnessing yet another case of Chris not understanding a term that came into popularity after his glory days, so he still thinks it's just an upgraded version of Novalogic's old voxel terrain?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
camera nerds are the worst

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pulling single frames out of video almost always results in hilarity

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

Untrue, HiFi nerds are worse.
Now really off to sleep.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

1500 posted:

:words: image stuff

I'm not gonna argue with you but I am going to point out that you're wrong and don't seem to know much about stuff you're posting in depth about. Stop.

Nov 3, 2015

orcinus posted:

Whoever said anything about bits meaning "more contrast"?
And yes, preserving the full quantization level range does mean more dynamic range in this case, because, as i've said, RAW data has a very flat gamma curve. Think about it.

Everything else you just wrote is total nonsense.
Come back after you've spent 20 years doing film and digital photography, picked some RAW files apart and patched dcraw source.

PS: please do explain to me how a RAW file from a Foveon sensor, or a 45 degree rotated CMOS array is the same as a PNG, oh wise one.

LOL You did, that's they I said you were wrong. I do image processing, i wright the algorithms that you use, i have studied those actual compression algorithms. You have no clue what you are talking about because you just see it form your end. You don't know what the compression are, how they are used or what they do.

Do you have any clue what a RAW file actually is?

Dynamic range is the difference between the largest value and the smallest value. Do you want to explain how adding more bits changes that? This should be fun.

1500 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 8, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Skipping to the end of the thread…

So, in that video or AtV episode, doe they actually show anything to suggest that the planet in question is procedurally generated? A guy standing on a rolling hill overlooking a bunch of mountain just shows that CryEngine has terrain and long(ish) draw distance — woooo — but we knew that from having played Far Cry. If they wanted to show off procedural generation, why not show… you know… the generation and how it is affected when they feed different parameters into the procedure?

I mean, the could at least have attempted to fake it by splicing in some Bryce footage or something, but that little clip shows absolutely nothing. Is there any actual evidence to support the notion that they have any kind of procedural tech at all? Or are we witnessing yet another case of Chris not understanding a term that came into popularity after his glory days, so he still thinks it's just an upgraded version of Novalogic's old voxel terrain?

I genuinely don't think that "planet" was procedurally generated. It's a little more pessimistic than my usual outlook, but when I watched that the only thing I could think is that they spun up an instance with some funky looking terrain and plopped a spacemans in it to give nerds boners.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Skellybones posted:

Brother, I'm ahead of you there. And here I was bitching about anime chat.

In other news, I'm taking a little break and playing Far Cry Primal. The first 15 mins have been a moderately botched abortion. Does it get better?

Also, loving wowzers @ U-play.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

1500 posted:

LOL You did, that's they I said you were wrong. I do image processing, i wright the algorithms that you use, i have studied those actual compression algorithms. You have no clue what you are talking about because you just see it form your end. You don't know what the compression are, how they are used or what they do.

Do you have any clue what a RAW file actually is?

:eyepop:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Skellybones posted:

PGP nerds are far worse.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Toops posted:

Also, loving wowzers @ U-play.

I haven't given Ubi a penny since my first and only u-play experience and I suggest others do the same

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

1500 posted:

LOL You did, that's they I said you were wrong. I do image processing, i wright the algorithms that you use, i have studied those actual compression algorithms.

Your algorithms suck, then, since you go off-spec on the allowed bit depth of PNGs.

Nov 3, 2015

lol ya, I should stop poo poo posting.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thread has an amazing ability to make dorks argue about unrelated poo poo.

Sandi, get on your main account, it's time to yell about marine biology! I'm callin' you out!

Nov 3, 2015

Tippis posted:

Your algorithms suck, then, since you go off-spec on the allowed bit depth of PNGs.

http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=29581

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hey look it's me sandi! durr! hey everyone insult me, you special snowflake bitches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

“Sample depths range from 1 to 16 bits.”

• Locked thread