Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Probably the last thing I will see before I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And if thou gaze long into the paarp, the paarp will also gaze into thee.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm hoping this is actually a dark commentary on Star Citizen and the attraction to it coming from a place of existential ennui in the modern gamer.

If only there was a way to build a functional pretentiousometer (pretentioumeter?), I bet you could just feed it the phrase “existential ennui” and it would be spinning so hard we'd effectively have invented infinite energy.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

isnt this the story of enders game?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lawsuits/getting blacklisted/working on CIG disaster code isn't what is driving eightace to drink himself into a stupor, it's these horrifying people

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

isnt this the story of enders game?

Only if the ships turn out to be real rather than ~dreams~, and also we're being attacked by ants.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

nope nope nope nope

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

'remember how dad used to corral us into the basement and make us pose for photos where he would pretend to be giving us commands as we played a space video game?'

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Judge: Well, I want YOU to stop violating your RESTRAINING ORDER.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Toops posted:

Judge: Well, I want YOU to stop violating your RESTRAINING ORDER.

lol @ the star citizen VIP ego wall

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

the one kid facing the camera is the one having the closest thing to a "good time"
This reminds me of my childhood.

Except the TV screen wasn't of fake computer game Star Citizen, but the real show Star Trek: The Next Generation.

And dad didn't have a ponytail. And he wasn't standing up, but reclining in his Laz-E-Boy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

600 comments

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

take that mom! take that dad! send me to a psychiatrist will you? take that dr sally waxler

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Wrecked Angle posted:

I don't understand what they're aiming because they're so drat non-specific and yet they're (or rather, the cultists) now banging the procedural generation drum pretty hard.

Sorry if this has been pointed out already but I am working again and can no longer keep up with the thread.

I think that the cultists know deep down that everything is late and they are clinging on to the idea that CiG is going to flip a switch and go from 3% complete to 100% overnight in order to reassure themselves that the dream is still alive. I believe that the procedural generation stuff helps feed that because it is the one thing where that sort of idea makes any sense at all. You finish the generator, turn it on and go from zero planets to all of them in an instant.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yet in my shirt there is only room for one

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

That Reddit thread for unpopular opinions, man. Wow. It's amazing how goonish much of it reads.

The thread is filled with the kind of stuff. It's revelatory-- it feels almost therapeutic in tone. Finally they can safely speak the obvious without being demonized, castigated, downvoted, called a Derek Smart puppet, decried a goon, or hit with the "it's pre-alpha!" stick until death.

If I were a CIG heavy, this would make for alarming reading. Not so much any specific comment-- but more the cumulative message underlying this cacophony...

the new mod we installed had a good idea:

...and people are eating it up.

Really wasn't expecting it to be this easy. Good work "Jumbify".

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Sisyphus posted:

lol @ the star citizen VIP ego wall

He even bought the loving lamp.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the new mod we installed had a good idea:

...and people are eating it up.

unpopular opinion thread: the reddit is better now that dolvak is gone

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

alf_pogs posted:

unpopular opinion thread: the reddit is better now that dolvak is gone

aw, what happen to dolvak?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm doing my best. We just might turn this thing around yet, sir.

Goonspeed!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

alf_pogs posted:

yet in my shirt there is only room for one

Guess which one has the SC buttplug fully inserted.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

hakimashou posted:

People said mean things to him when he called himself an authority on CIG so he had a complete and utter meltdown before resigning.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

hakimashou posted:

reddit inexplicably and for no reason turned on him and he stepped down.

we had nothing to do with it I swears. scouts honor, etc.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

hakimashou posted:

He got trashed...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Toops posted:

things that seemed like cool and good things to post on the internet, pt 2.

im the cat attacking the cable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dolvak went away when the emails showed up and dolvak was like, wheres the proof, and the proof was given it was real, and the dude was like NANANANANANANANA I can't hear you.

After that dolvak became a walking joke about journalism.

here is a cat and a baby

http://i.imgur.com/eJJPmUh.gifv

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Toops posted:

things that seemed like cool and good things to post on the internet, pt 2.

b'tak?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

atxsperg posted:

is that a cpap machine?

Yes. Yes it is. He is known as "CPAP Man" or "I cant Breathe *huff huff* Man"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I wonder how much yelling goes on in CIG

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Jesus H Christ, I hadn't seen some of these pics before

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Are you getting into a semantic argument over 'framerate' instead of 'tickrate'? Because game servers kind of do need that stuff, and the terminology is just a bit different than other 'servers' (db, web, IRC, whatever) - though it's the same technical issue under the hood, just magnified for games.

Because it sounds like while you're spot on about how it's stupid to let client-side poo poo dictate server performance - what that poster is trying to describe is pretty obvious when you look at Star Citizen combined with what I grasp on game server communication anyway, which is a constant set of 'just start spouting poo poo and then get corrected by the server'. The server is responsible for *so much poo poo* that it can't get updates back to clients in a resonable timeframe.

You're connected to a server. Server goes "ok you wake up in a lovely bedroom". You input to move forward. There's two options here: you wait for network latency to send your command, and only when you hear back from the server going 'ok sure, you have moved forward' does your client update. This (isn't really done?) because at even decent latencies you'd see a quarter second delay on everything you do.

So instead things get interpolated and corrected: You input to open your lovely bedroom door. Your *client* goes "ok sure we'll do that" but also sends that input to the server. The server probably goes "ok, you're opening the door, the state of the door is now open" and confirms that back to you. Your experience is seamless, but what happens when the server and you fall out of sync due to lovely physics dragging server load up?

You input to move forward, server takes a two seconds to figure out the exact mass of your toe as it stubs an empty Benny's container and the velocity imparted to that container and the new vector it will be travelling upon. It goes "ok sure here's the new state of the world!"....but in that time, on the client side you've already moved forward, opened the door, and.....well poo poo, your client now reverts to the server state...which rubberbands you backwards at best, or traps you in a door you just got told was closed...or whatever.

If you want to see how much nerds care about game server framerates, just go look at the mass of arguments in the CS:GO community over official matchmaking servers running at 60fps instead of the 128fps most private servers use.

That's the crobber way.

Why trust expert staff to make decisions when you can control them?

Why trust clients to do anything when the server can control them?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Well thanks for putting my disgust at his video game opinions in proper context :magical:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I farted in the shower and it sounded like Paarrp which made me think of you all.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

hakimashou posted:

doxxed by Derek

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Toops posted:

I love his eyes, they're so murdery :swoon:

He can lay sandi in the movie about the collapse of CIG

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tippis posted:

If only there was a way to build a functional pretentiousometer (pretentioumeter?), I bet you could just feed it the phrase “existential ennui” and it would be spinning so hard we'd effectively have invented infinite energy.

Existential :eonwe:

Is that better?

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Can anyone find a pic that's NOT horribly creepy?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
rip dolvak, ashes to ashes, sleaze to sleaze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

moveable shape posted:

Well thanks for putting my disgust at his video game opinions in proper context :magical:

I was trying to help answer your question about whether it was real or parody. Looking at their first page of recent posts answered that question for me :ohdear:

• Locked thread