Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Berious posted:

:lol: He had me going until the second reply. I seriously cannot tell real shitizens from trolls

It's nearly impossible. No matter how crazy you make your troll posts there are true believers out there that say things just as crazy. That's why it's so beautiful.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

MedicineHut posted:

Nevermind the downvote. Must admit it took me to get to the "in order to revert your cfg you simply need to download a normal 30Gb patch" to spill my coffee and realize punkflamungo is awesome.

lol

glad you enjoyed it commando

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I still can't get past the client side criminal timer.

Like if you ever needed evidence that everyone there has just given up, that is it. This isn't Ben being mad at his god or Lando having a depressive episode. This is the programmers taking the concept of a penalty timer and implementing it in the most half assed, least thought about way possible to dribble a few bullet points into patch notes. Anyone who has played or made online games knows that you don't trust the client with certain things. Chris can't even directly be blamed on this one (unless he coded it at midnight) because that isn't something he would demand be redone four times for more fidelity or because he saw this really neat clock in a TV show and wanted that put into the wank closet to look at while you are in timeout.

It is going to be dismissed by the cultists as :pgabz: just hacking the game again and goons ruining everything. They should instead be seeing it as a huge warning siren that CIG is either too demoralized or too incompetent to avoid making mistakes that have been known through the industry since Blizzard released Diablo in 1996 and found out just what happens when the server trusts the client too much. These are the people who are going to create the biggest space game ever and release something to the level of Rockstar North? :lol:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Have a catte for my 2100th bad post in this thread

http://i.imgur.com/koLqCWW.gifv

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
With less than most whales pay you can buy an actual spaceship :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S6q6enpm1s

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Daztek posted:

this is a big day, congratulations

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Kavak posted:

A hundred million dollar video game company made an anti-griefing system that punishes piracy and attacking other players by giving them a time-out in their rooms to spite one music loving griefer with a dancing cat avatar, which he broke by glitching through the walls and later adjusting the clock on his own computer.

Everything I just said is objectively true. What a world we live in.

It's magical, it really is

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
derek u need to have more secure passwords than "e.l.e." lmao holy moly

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

( drat you Derek Smart, you can't Blog forever! )
_______________________/

I'm pretty sure you could very easily make a doom guy face out of all the permutations his expressions go through as he lies. Only instead of getting more and more bloody, he becomes more coked up.

A sliver of health away from death, the words 'dreams happen now' appear above the most coked out Chris's face

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Yo guys, I just wanna let you know the weekly update for Solar Plebeian is coming, but this last week was a bit different.

I've really needed to stop and take some time to solidify the asset creation workflow. That means a lot of learning on my end, because I have a pretty amateur theoretical understanding of modeling, materials, lighting, etc. I've been learning on the fly, which is cool, but this last week it became apparent that just grabbing 3d assets and "plugging them in" to the game engine is back-loading the game with tech debt.

So this week I decided we're going to use a metallic PBR (physically-based rendering) workflow using Unity's standard shader. I'm gonna make a "tutorial" video detailing how we go from base 3d model to rendered in-game asset. This is a bit geeky and technical, but I think it's pretty interesting poo poo. At a high-level, the workflow goes like this:

1. Create 3d model in a modeling program (think of this as the sculpting process)
2. UV-unwrap the 3d model (in modeling program) to create the base texture. This is the stimperial process of peeling the skin off the surface of a 3d model and spreading it out on a 2-d plane (the letters "U" and "V" are just the "X" and "Y" axis of the 2d plane that texture is projected on. This is because the x, y, and z axes are already used in the 3d model view. I'm excited about this because I just recently learned what that means and wanted to share it with you all).
3. Import the 3d mesh and UV-unwrapped texture into Substance Designer which is a pretty incredible texture/materials creation tool with full Unity 5 integration
4. In Substance Designer, create the 5 textures to be used by Unity's standard shader:
4a. Diffuse (aka albedo) - this is the base texture that describes how the texture us colored
4b. Normal - this describes what angle light should bounce off a given section of the texture (Chris Roberts apparently thinks this technique is "cheating")
4c. Roughness - Scuffed-up concrete isn't as shiny as polished marble. Basically this grayscale texture describes what parts of the image are smooth/shiny, which are rough/non-reflective
4d. Metallic - This defines what parts of the image are metal, and which are dielectric (non-metal, like plastic, concrete, wood, etc
4e. Ambient Occlusion - What parts of the texture reflect indirect light. So high ambient occlusion on a texture means light that has already bounced will bounce again and reach the camera. Low AO means indirect light will be absorbed.
5. Import the 3d mesh, and Substance Designer output into Unity. Unity has a SD plugin, so I can continue to tweak the diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, and AO textures directly to get the model looking how I want. It's incredibly badass.

Defining a consistent workflow for how textures are built and combined to create materials in Unity is really important. Despite my allergy to spending too much time on bling bling, I want to clearly define this process so that I can more quickly bring in assets and make them match the art style. I've been spending a lot of precious time just thrashing around trying to jam assets into the game. It's really eating into my dev time, so I had to shore this up, and unfortunately, since it's really not a core competency of mine, I have to take a lot of time learning. Although it's fun and I'm enjoying it, this has an impact of demonstrable progress until I get up to speed.

I'm still not sure what the art style is, but having this workflow in place basically allows me to quickly modify assets and iterate so I can arrive at the style I want. This will also help any contributors build assets for the game in a streamlined way. I need to be able to clearly/succinctly communicate to people exactly what my needs are.

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Asema posted:

derek u need to have more secure passwords than "e.l.e." lmao holy moly

Please dont troll

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Also Derek if you blueball us again theres no way in hell ill be swallowing your hot loads of e.l.e again in the future

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Pro sniffs. Cat Rating: Hella good.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

gently caress, I still can't get past the client side criminal timer.

Like if you ever needed evidence that everyone there has just given up, that is it. This isn't Ben being mad at his god or Lando having a depressive episode. This is the programmers taking the concept of a penalty timer and implementing it in the most half assed, least thought about way possible to dribble a few bullet points into patch notes. Anyone who has played or made online games knows that you don't trust the client with certain things. Chris can't even directly be blamed on this one (unless he coded it at midnight) because that isn't something he would demand be redone four times for more fidelity or because he saw this really neat clock in a TV show and wanted that put into the wank closet to look at while you are in timeout.

It is going to be dismissed by the cultists as :pgabz: just hacking the game again and goons ruining everything. They should instead be seeing it as a huge warning siren that CIG is either too demoralized or too incompetent to avoid making mistakes that have been known through the industry since Blizzard released Diablo in 1996 and found out just what happens when the server trusts the client too much. These are the people who are going to create the biggest space game ever and release something to the level of Rockstar North? :lol:

I thought that was a joke, Peter is this real?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Yo guys, I just wanna let you know the weekly update for Solar Plebeian is coming, but this last week was a bit different.

I've really needed to stop and take some time to solidify the asset creation workflow. That means a lot of learning on my end, because I have a pretty amateur theoretical understanding of modeling, materials, lighting, etc. I've been learning on the fly, which is cool, but this last week it became apparent that just grabbing 3d assets and "plugging them in" to the game engine is back-loading the game with tech debt.

So this week I decided we're going to use a metallic PBR (physically-based rendering) workflow using Unity's standard shader. I'm gonna make a "tutorial" video detailing how we go from base 3d model to rendered in-game asset. This is a bit geeky and technical, but I think it's pretty interesting poo poo. At a high-level, the workflow goes like this:

1. Create 3d model in a modeling program (think of this as the sculpting process)
2. UV-unwrap the 3d model (in modeling program) to create the base texture. This is the stimperial process of peeling the skin off the surface of a 3d model and spreading it out on a 2-d plane (the letters "U" and "V" are just the "X" and "Y" axis of the 2d plane that texture is projected on. This is because the x, y, and z axes are already used in the 3d model view. I'm excited about this because I just recently learned what that means and wanted to share it with you all).
3. Import the 3d mesh and UV-unwrapped texture into Substance Designer which is a pretty incredible texture/materials creation tool with full Unity 5 integration
4. In Substance Designer, create the 5 textures to be used by Unity's standard shader:
4a. Diffuse (aka albedo) - this is the base texture that describes how the texture us colored
4b. Normal - this describes what angle light should bounce off a given section of the texture (Chris Roberts apparently thinks this technique is "cheating")
4c. Roughness - Scuffed-up concrete isn't as shiny as polished marble. Basically this grayscale texture describes what parts of the image are smooth/shiny, which are rough/non-reflective
4d. Metallic - This defines what parts of the image are metal, and which are dielectric (non-metal, like plastic, concrete, wood, etc
4e. Ambient Occlusion - What parts of the texture reflect indirect light. So high ambient occlusion on a texture means light that has already bounced will bounce again and reach the camera. Low AO means indirect light will be absorbed.
5. Import the 3d mesh, and Substance Designer output into Unity. Unity has a SD plugin, so I can continue to tweak the diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, and AO textures directly to get the model looking how I want. It's incredibly badass.

Defining a consistent workflow for how textures are built and combined to create materials in Unity is really important. Despite my allergy to spending too much time on bling bling, I want to clearly define this process so that I can more quickly bring in assets and make them match the art style. I've been spending a lot of precious time just thrashing around trying to jam assets into the game. It's really eating into my dev time, so I had to shore this up, and unfortunately, since it's really not a core competency of mine, I have to take a lot of time learning. Although it's fun and I'm enjoying it, this has an impact of demonstrable progress until I get up to speed.

I'm still not sure what the art style is, but having this workflow in place basically allows me to quickly modify assets and iterate so I can arrive at the style I want. This will also help any contributors build assets for the game in a streamlined way. I need to be able to clearly/succinctly communicate to people exactly what my needs are.

Ok, sorry for sperging out there guys, just wanted to give an open, honest update about where I'm this week. I'm actually gonna put out a tutorial video about SP's asset pipeline this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Don't worry, we can hope our friendly CIG intern sends this to CIG, maybe they'll learn a thing or two

E: accidentally words

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MeLKoR posted:

This is why we can't have nice things. :qq:

It's pgabz, they are requiring an NDA because :pgabz:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

if you blueball me on this derek i wont be swallowing next time

SurfaceDetail posted:

Also Derek if you blueball us again theres no way in hell ill be swallowing your hot loads of e.l.e again in the future

You seem very fixated on this imagery. :yikes:

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Its a fast thread I just want him to know what hell be missing

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Madcosby posted:

This is going to be so uninteresting and inconsequential brace yourself for boredom!

TOXX: If Derek posts anything remotely ELE ishI 'll never post in this thread again
ELE ish is big news that cripples CIG that we dont already know

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Crobberts "What do you mean the moneys gone? Where's it gone? TELL ME WHERE THE MONEY'S GONE"
CIG staff "Money is right there, behind the camera"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tortolia posted:

No, I think cultists will handwave it away with the simple "it´s an alpha" and "a placeholder" and "once we get persistence and the back end properly going it will all be handed over to the server" etc etc bullshit cough ahem etc etc.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Toops posted:

To this end, I have been super busy but I've been plugging away at Parpinson's Landing in what little down time I have and I'm going to have some stuff to show you soon enough. I do my texturing slightly differently than this in process, but the end result should be quite similar, which should make it nice and easy for you to integrate. I have decided that I'm going to do a bit of preliminary texturing and rendering for two reasons. A.) White boxing straight geometry gets boring after a while and and I find that I'm becoming a bit less motivated to go in and do it, and B.) a lot of the character in the station is going to be defined by how it's textured and lit, so a small vertical slice of that will help me figure out what this looks like. I have the geometry done in a few places, so I'm going to texture, light, and render them (not in engine, but they'll be the *fidelity target* for when we can get them into Unity. I hope to have these done this weekend, so maybe we can have another art sneak peak in next week's update. I look forward to seeing your tutorial, though, learning new and fun ways to do things is cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toops posted:

This all sounds awesome and I'd love to learn. What program do you use for 1 and 2?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tortolia posted:

That's the true beauty of the whole thing: the best defence the citizens can muster against pgabz' videos of janky programming in action, is one of blaming CIG of even more incompetent programming. Physics bugs are commonplace (really, the only reason they're funny in SC is because of how consistent, long-lasting, and increasingly bad they are), so in isolation, you could just shrug, laugh and go on with life.

But no, their attempt of excusing the bugs is a suggestion that the game is so poorly put together that simple client-side modifications will completely alter the behaviour of entities controlled by the server or by other players. Not even Freelancer — which, as a reminder, had a client-side flag for godmode — would allow such things to happen. EVE had a fun bug where cached model data would occasionally make it appear as if certain ships flew backwards, but that was because of a change in coordinate systems and the placement of the model pivot point. It had zero effect on what the ship was actually doing or how it behaved — all that happened was that the client drew the ship with the nose pointing the wrong direction; all movements and actions were obviously being controlled server-side. Laughs were had and a general suggestion to clear your cache was put out, and nothing actually went wrong.

Here, though, some people would have you believe that by altering game files, the client somehow decides how ships will move across the screen and how they will interact with the environment, as if the server never once updated their positions or actions. It's all kinds of hilarious how much more broken the game would have to be for their “explanations” to make any sense. :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
yo derek when are you unlocking this poo poo, my man? i need to figure out if i should sleep soon or not

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Milky Moor posted:

yo derek when are you unlocking this poo poo, my man? i need to figure out if i should sleep soon or not

Derek´s blog is never late, nor is it early. It arrives precisely when he means to.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SurfaceDetail posted:

Its a fast thread I just want him to know what hell be missing

You must have missed the numerous times Derek has stated that he literally reads every single post in this thread

He doesn't just read this thread, he reads this thread literally front to back and back to front at times

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

Toops posted:

This is a good idea, I should make some.

Please offer the signature track jacket like this one https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Sc-Track-Jacket-Cards-Combo/XS (playing cards are optional)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Goontube is currently playing Flash Gordon by the way

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Mr.Tophat posted:

You must have missed the numerous times Derek has stated that he literally reads every single post in this thread

He doesn't just read this thread, he reads this thread literally front to back and back to front at times

Being the narcist he is he probably chuckles every time he sees his own comments lol.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mr.Tophat posted:

Goontube is currently playing Flash Gordon by the way

goontube aye? can I get a link

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Sometimes I'll open Games, jump to last unread post in a new window then skip to the last page on my first window. Catch up if SC or Ben is dead yet then I'll delete the last read page notification (which just got set to the last page as I skipped ahead). Now I can continue reading from my last unread post window and the unread page bookmark is made anew so I don't lose my actual place in the thread.

When you're chronically behind but want to keep up to date with the new hotness this works well for obsessive every post readers.

I highly recommend it to Derek

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

goontube aye? can I get a link

https://goontu.be/

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This all sounds awesome and I'd love to learn. What program do you use for 1 and 2?

I've been using Blender cause it's 100% free. The learning curve is brutal, but there are lots of good tutorials.

I also downloaded the free trial of 3d studio max, hoping it would magically make things easier. While it's a bit more intuitive, there's no way around how difficult the 3d modeling process is (at least for me).

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Berious posted:

Sometimes I'll open Games, jump to last unread post in a new window then skip to the last page on my first window. Catch up if SC or Ben is dead yet then I'll delete the last read page notification (which just got set to the last page as I skipped ahead). Now I can continue reading from my last unread post window and the unread page bookmark is made anew so I don't lose my actual place in the thread.

When you're chronically behind but want to keep up to date with the new hotness this works well for obsessive every post readers.

I highly recommend it to Derek

I tried to find the actual post that Derek made about his reading methods, because it's way more advanced than what you're working with. I tried to search Derek's posts, but try searching for 'read' and didn't want to wade through it. Uncle Smart will tell you soon no doubt about his ways

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Toops posted:

I've been using Blender cause it's 100% free. The learning curve is brutal, but there are lots of good tutorials.

I also downloaded the free trial of 3d studio max, hoping it would magically make things easier. While it's a bit more intuitive, there's no way around how difficult the 3d modeling process is (at least for me).

If you ever need help in 3Ds max drop me a pm. In real life i'm a 3D visualizer ( I make purty interiors and exteriors ).
I have been using 3ds max for about 9 years now, so I could definitely help you.

I have no clue about game development tho.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
looking forward to reading dereks summary of all thats happened, and referencing his older summaries of everything that's happened. and that he totally called calling it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Samizdata posted:

<stabs Wafflz in the back and quickly hides the body>

Hey, Beet's girlfriend? I don't know what that loony was going on about, but, Beet really, really wanted me to adopt Kayak. We were really good friends online, and he is afraid having Kayak around will be too hard for you to handle, now he has passed on...

I think Kayak may be cursed.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

If you ever need help in 3Ds max drop me a pm. In real life i'm a 3D visualizer ( I make purty interiors and exteriors ).
I have been using 3ds max for about 9 years now, so I could definitely help you.

I have no clue about game development tho.

This would be awesome, I'm sending you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Uncle Derek... :f5:
http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

• Locked thread