Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I am thinking about starting a site where I can put my edgy stuff in one place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ManofManyAliases posted:

Although I already once stated they I am NOT Toast, I really think you guys need to give it up already. This is the reason the thread was locked once already, and speculating more about it will lead no where. Plus, that isn't what this thread is about.

C'mon 2.4 hype! I also got that $5 coupon from April fools. Sale time!

Listen up motherfucker, you don't moderate these threads. Kindly gently caress off back to RSI where you belong, will you? Every post you make is just straight loving garbage.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hah he's updated his LiveJournal.
He uses the angry kid defence and hilariously tries to latch the blame onto Something Awful's brand of humor.

quote:

I was a recent college dropout, angry at the world after losing an eye and having surgery after surgery on the other. As great as I make my life sound here, I was spending most of my time bedridden recovering from retina surgery and pretending I didn’t have any emotions.

My escape was my buddies I knew through the Wing Commander community; they were the guys still around when my friends from high school went off and got lives of their own. We were typical obnoxious geeks, confident we had it all figured out and everyone else on the planet was a moron. We idolized Something Awful and that whole burgeoning internet humor culture, pretended we were Lowtax (without the audience!) I’m sure some of that comes across here; it's in-jokes belonging to old friends and terrible ideas all the way down. :)
So under the rug it goes. Note he hasn't actually removed anything from the site.

WCnews history bit.
Now checking in again with my friend, turns out Ben really was a horrid person. He brings up this story.

The community once had a member called Eagle-1 (who was African American). Eagle apparently was the one who setup the IRC channels in 1996 and began the WC community well before WC news.
From what I can gather Eagle was a very well respected and kind community member. Being an older member (he was 58) many mentioned that he was a mentor to them dishing out advice to life's problems and encouraging awkward nerds to give it a go. He even rang up Ben to offer kind words before his eye surgery.

So what does Ben do? Gets annoyed that, unlike Eagle, he wasn't being seen as some sort of leader despite his knowledge of WC. Ben also hated that Eagle ran a competing IRC channel where you couldn't swear and things were kept in order and people felt safe. Basically Ben muscled him out and fostered that toxic community we now all love and quote.

But as my friend points out, Ben's distrust was allegedly racially motivated - he could not stand that at the end of the day the guy who everyone loves happens to be black.

Sadly Eagle died in 2007 from a heart attack. Despite the terse obituary on the website over on IRC Ben lapped up his demise, ripping into a beloved community member because of his own selfish reasons.

quote:

No, if we hated you we'd be talking about that weird cop thing. We miss our #Wing-Commander bretheren... Except not Eagle. Or Dana. Or Tigershark. Or CBF. But we miss the rest. #17,762
Being gay isn't a 'choice', it's just something that happens to people. #15,385
Eagle is *always* gay. #15,386
This isn't some angry kid, but some man who's wrapped himself up in a bubble of ignorance and tried to blame his life situation as a cause.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 17, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/721504590026432513

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Make sure you don't bother deleting it when you get your dream job of picking up your hero's dry cleaning

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:stonk:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, let's not start having a go at Hitler. The poor guy can't defend himself, and it's not like he's Ben Lesnick.
I'm not sure what to say. You're welcome? Sorry? You did ask for it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
posting for posterity.

quote:

Hello! I see folks have dug up my old Livejournal to troll me about. I’d like to start by issuing a sincere apology to any of the folks who had to read through all this to find the juicy bits: it’s pretty tepid!

I do know that I was pretty big into pretending I had life figured out. It likely doesn’t come across, but I started this as a personal diary back in 2002 after a pretty bad time in my life. I was a recent college dropout, angry at the world after losing an eye and having surgery after surgery on the other. As great as I make my life sound here, I was spending most of my time bedridden recovering from retina surgery and pretending I didn’t have any emotions.

My escape was my buddies I knew through the Wing Commander community; they were the guys still around when my friends from high school went off and got lives of their own. We were typical obnoxious geeks, confident we had it all figured out and everyone else on the planet was a moron. We idolized Something Awful and that whole burgeoning internet humor culture, pretended we were Lowtax (without the audience!) I’m sure some of that comes across here; it's in-jokes belonging to old friends and terrible ideas all the way down. :)

Eventually, I worked my way back to school (I think that’s covered here!) and (after this ends) went out into the real world and figured out I wasn’t anybody special at all, and my ideas about things like politics and history were pretty freaking stupid.

I’m not fond of deleting the past, or pretending anyone has always been perfect. I’ve spent my life becoming a better person, and I’m happy to let folks see where I've been. I suspect this journal doesn’t even show the worst of who I’ve been; the thing I most regret from years past was what a jerk I was on message boards. I’m sure that’s all out there to find, too! I don't want to say I've figured out how the world works, but I've learned to respect everybody else in it instead of imagining they're out to get me.

So, visitors of the future, enjoy my ancient Livejournal! If you’re here to troll me, I’ll confess I don’t quite know why (he works for a company I hate!) but I’m not going to pretend to be someone else :)

Ben

(And if you can get past the morose know-it-all tone of the writing, there’s some fun and interesting stories in here!)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy B'day ben you irredeemable sack of poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

How is he this dumb to post stuff like this on the internet holy gently caress

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sunswipe posted:

Hey, let's not start having a go at Hitler. The poor guy can't defend himself, and it's not like he's Ben Lesnick.

Was reading some more on Wikipedia. Looks like he was repeatedly doxxed and bullied by the Allies for years. They made gross movies and cartoons of him. Called him names, all sorts of awful things.

He was eventually bullied into suicide.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Variable 5 posted:

Make sure you don't bother deleting it when you get your dream job of picking up your hero's dry cleaning

In reality it'd just be stuff like

You know what gets on my nerves a bit? Paper cuts grrrr #233214

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Although I already once stated they I am NOT Toast, I really think you guys need to give it up already. This is the reason the thread was locked once already, and speculating more about it will lead no where. Plus, that isn't what this thread is about.

C'mon 2.4 hype! I also got that $5 coupon from April fools. Sale time!

Just remember to keep some $ saved up for when CiG goes tits up and you need to pay rent :)

Sunswipe posted:

It's okay, people have been defending him ever since he stopped.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

How is he this dumb to post stuff like this on the internet holy gently caress

He still hasn't deleted it :psyduck:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

posting for posterity.

lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the something awful mention

:knope:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WebDog posted:

He uses the angry kid defence and hilariously tries to latch the blame onto Something Awful's brand of humor.

So under the rug it goes. Note he hasn't actually removed anything from the site.

WCnews history bit.
Now checking in again with my friend, turns out Ben really was a horrid person. He brings up this story.

The community once had a member called Eagle-1 (who was African American). Eagle apparently was the one who setup the IRC channels in 1996 and began the WC community well before WC news.
From what I can gather Eagle was a very well respected and kind community member. Being an older member (he was 58) many mentioned that he was a mentor to them dishing out advice to life's problems and encouraging awkward nerds to give it a go. He even rang up Ben to offer kind words before his eye surgery.

So what does Ben do? Gets annoyed that, unlike Eagle, he wasn't being seen as some sort of leader despite his knowledge of WC. Ben also hated that Eagle ran a competing IRC channel where you couldn't swear and things were kept in order and people felt safe. Basically Ben muscled him out and fostered that toxic community we now all love and quote.

But as my friend points out, Ben's distrust was allegedly racially motivated - he could not stand that at the end of the day the guy who everyone loves happens to be black.

Sadly Eagle died in 2007 from a heart attack. Despite the terse obituary on the website over on IRC Ben lapped up his demise, ripping into a beloved community member because of his own selfish reasons.

This isn't some angry kid, but some man who's wrapped himself up in a bubble of ignorance and tried to blame his life situation as a cause.

What a loving gross person.

This is genuinely the grossest thing. Rejoicing over a human being's death because people liked him more.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

I'm sorry to shill my band, but we just got the mixes back for this little guy, and I think it would make a solid soundtrack to the apocalypse:

https://soundcloud.com/user-455463481/i-want-it-that-way

(I play guitar and keys. The singer is my gf. The band is how we met.)

(I have a lot of hobbies)

Brilliant and she's got a great voice for that sort of stuff.

Now, stop humiliating we that aren't awesome at a bunch of stuff.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Prediction: CIG hires an actual serial killer next week so they can say that Ben isn't their worst employee anymore

Three people die during the special RTV that introduces him

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SurfaceDetail posted:

Was reading some more on Wikipedia. Looks like he was repeatedly doxxed and bullied by the Allies for years. They made gross movies and cartoons of him. Called him names, all sorts of awful things.

And he wrote some stuff...but that was when he was younger. I mean, we all do stupid things in our 20s and 30s. If you can't separate the private thoughts of a top-level individual from the organization then, man, that's pretty hosed up on your part.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I got a warning over in MMORPG.com for joking that if Hitler got a job at CIG the backers would defend him. Accidental bullseye.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Variable 5 posted:

Prediction: CIG hires an actual serial killer next week so they can say that Ben isn't their worst employee anymore

Three people die during the special RTV that introduces him

Nah, they'll hire a Hasidic Jew to sit on camera with Sandi and laugh approvingly at everything she says.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ben "the Japanese get to have sex with thirteen year olds all the time. Instead of once or twice a month" Lesnick posted:

I’ve spent my life becoming a better person
Citation loving needed.

SurfaceDetail posted:

The things the Allies did were almost as bad as cyber bullying.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol first he says on twitter that he was a highschooler, now it wasn't even started until he dropped out of college

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gently caress that fat piece of poo poo.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

gently caress that fat piece of poo poo.

You'll have to get in line behind diabetes, heart disease, and sleep apnea.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

WebDog posted:

WCnews history bit.

wow that obituary he wrote is revolting.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the something awful mention

:knope:

It's amazing. A subtle (except that it's obvious) attempt at pinning his statements on goons.

To the PR person who suggested it: nice try you are clownshoes

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4f4oz9/ben_lesnick_issues_apology_for_offensive_jokes_on/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Toast, I'm sorry. Chris has been doing a stellar job with Star Citizen and everything that's been released has been great, functional, and fun!

So let's give Emperor Roberts three big cheers!

BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
poo poo, I meant Tora! Tora! Tora!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Restaurant does not look like a buffet?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ben's bed. He really is a goon.

open in a new tab at full size. It's like a goonie scavenger hunt.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

Restaurant does not look like a buffet?

Well not after Ben's done, duh.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

spacetoaster posted:

Ben's bed. He really is a goon.

open in a new tab at full size. It's like a goonie scavenger hunt.

The most offensive thing in the bedroom photo is the Kevin J Anderson Dune prequel books.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone said Pedo Citizen yet?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

The most offensive thing in the bedroom photo is the Kevin J Anderson Dune prequel books.
I think you mean the framed screengrab of that news anchor lady

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

No it's the framed photo of his stalking victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Has anyone said Pedo Citizen yet?
eat fresh?

• Locked thread