Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
And then 400 was the last thing that fell out of Bens gob recently

:gay: for birds edit

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sillybones posted:

How the gently caress do you remember all this stuff?

I have several researchers and archivists on staff.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

moveable shape posted:

I see a spring loaded trap in the form of a cat. Don't rub the belly

Oh no, this particular cat loves his belly rubs. I've never met one like this before, will post photographic proof of belly-rubbiness when I can.

In other news, I recently found out that one of my flatmates is a Citizen, no idea how deep he's in but I've heard him evangelizing to various people and it's cringeworthy at best, depressingly cult-like at worst. He looked slightly horrified when my response to "so have you heard of star ctizen" was "yes, I laugh at it on a regular basis".

Are the new ships actually being made by CIG or are they still outsourcing that to Malaysia?

Here is cat looking artistic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

moveable shape posted:

And then 400 was the last thing that fell out of Bens gob recently

Yeah. And back when they were still employing Illfonic they said 500 at one point. So it went 300 to 500 back to 300 then up to 400.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

moveable shape posted:

Care to elaborate? Honestly I'm really interested to know where is the minimum acceptable bar of content and features for you? What will you think if the game goes live without meeting your standard?

My feature requirements:
  • Fun

Judging by the alpha the game currently has:
  • Excellent visuals
  • The best kind of Immurshion that triples every second
  • The most realistic head-bob to date
  • 30 second long animations when accidently crawling into your ship's bunks
  • Derpy physics that puts goat simulator to shame
  • Transport the vending-machine mini-game
  • Outrageous performance, especially due to the strain it seems to put on their networks when more than 3 players are on a server (kind of sucks for an MMO...)

What it currently lacks:
  • Any indication on how:
    • player economy
    • pvp
    • player
    • progression
    • the various career paths (science, medical, salvager, miner, loving news caster) and their associated mechanics
    • ownership of ships
    • any persistence in general will be implemented
  • Fun

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 20, 2016

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh no, this particular cat loves his belly rubs. I've never met one like this before, will post photographic proof of belly-rubbiness when I can.

In other news, I recently found out that one of my flatmates is a Citizen, no idea how deep he's in but I've heard him evangelizing to various people and it's cringeworthy at best, depressingly cult-like at worst. He looked slightly horrified when my response to "so have you heard of star ctizen" was "yes, I laugh at it on a regular basis".

Are the new ships actually being made by CIG or are they still outsourcing that to Malaysia?

Here is cat looking artistic:

I have a catte who likes belly rubs, she rolls over and begs for them. They are the best.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

Non delivery and delivery with sub par quality are two very different things.
The problem is they've sold about a zillion different types of ships that require radically different gameplay elements and now they need to implement massive cruisers, traders, news ships, functioning airliners, police, space hot dog vans etc. etc. I can't see all of that being in the game any time soon.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Reharakhti posted:

(needs a lot of cleaning up :v:)

…or be made into an avatar.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

The problem is they've sold about a zillion different types of ships that require radically different gameplay elements and now they need to implement massive cruisers, traders, news ships, functioning airliners, police, space hot dog vans etc. etc. I can't see all of that being in the game any time soon.

So you're saying my investment in science and farming modules may not pay off?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Reharakhti posted:

Yesssss :pgabz:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
This game is a scam, I think.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:pgabz:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

goddamn spacecat is takin off in a big way

also

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf 40k is preeeetty bad

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf 40k is preeeetty bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w3XeHpsis

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Offer to buy them a SA account, we could use some fresh blood now that Toast has dropped the pretense of doing anything but repeating the company line.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Trying to find Ben's incredible defence of the WC movie as denial sets in hard. But stumbled across a snippet of a lost interview with Eric Peterson with Computer and Video Games somewhere around late 2001

Eric Peterson posted:

Chris is one of my best friends, but he's also a pain in the arse because he's such a perfectionist. When Chris is focussed, he's unbelievable, but I think Chris now wants to make movies. It became very difficult to get him to make day-to-day decisions on games.

He also voiced his opinion of the Wing Commander Movie.

I thought it was poo poo.

And another bit from author William Forstchen.

quote:

Why did you turn down the offer to write the Wing Commander movie novel?

LOL Two reasons. Money, the payment offered was abysmal and insulting, I made more on my very first novel, and secondly I was, to put it mildly, digusted by the screenplay. It was frustrating since there were so many potentially good stories within the Wing Commander world to build a movie around. When I first received the screenplay for review I was, to say the least, stunned and even if I had been offered an honest sum to write it, rather than the slave wages suggested, I would have turned it down.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good games can exist from the 40k IP but the actual tabletop game went to poo poo thanks to Formations that give a bunch of bonuses if you buy and field whatever new thing they happen to be pushing at the time of writing. That and a complete disregard for the concept of balance or playtesting.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

Tippis posted:

:five::five::five::five:

Crazy Achmed posted:

Here is a happy cat who wants belly rubs.

I want to pet this cat

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Good games can exist from the 40k IP but the actual tabletop game went to poo poo thanks to Formations that give a bunch of bonuses if you buy and field whatever new thing they happen to be pushing at the time of writing. That and a complete disregard for the concept of balance or playtesting.

Renaming the Imperial Guard to Astra Militarum is the worst thing Games Workshop did.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

All this stuff has made my day, seriously :)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What's the opposite of grief? I think I'm experiencing it.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Chalks posted:

Ah cool, thanks dude.

I am forever astonished by how "clean" these graphs look. I don't understand how they are able to have such a consistent hourly rate of new signups. Usually you see variation due to day/night cycles at least.

i think they count citizen as person who are on our mailing list

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Daztek posted:

Renaming the Imperial Guard to Astra Militarum™ is the worst thing Games Workshop did.

Iunno, they got rid of their HQ's Space Marine statue and replaced it with a Sigmarine

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Lost it at the antifungal powder and am still laughing.

That's Army issue. It's really good stuff.

For your feet. Not balls.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

surc posted:

Codekeeper posted:

What's the penalty for a black card? Two weeks cleaning out Ben's folds?
Five.

:golfclap:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

it's ironic how much the wing commander movie is lampooned considering how compelling of a story the fall of CIG is going to make

They'll get the guy who played Abed's dad to play Derek Smart and Jonah Hill gets to gain hella weight again to play Ben. Lol I bet Sandi will try out for her own part and not get the role. Maybe Olivia Munn? She seems like she's just as much a bitch behind the scenes too so I bet she'd nail it

Sandi will be one of the people jailed over this. Bookmark it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ahh found it.
It takes several months of increasingly poo poo reviews for Ben to finally snap.
It's like the movie being poo poo, combination of college, eye surgery and core Origins staff being packed into the Ultima Online teams, thus no more WC games utterly broke his brain and the newsposts are like a scorch mark.

quote:

Here's a short overview of my feelings about those so-called WC reviews.

"Wing Commander is based on a space combat game that's 90 per cent action and ten per cent story and characters"

10% Story and Characters? What Wing Commander did you play? WC Armada or what?

"Pilgrims are a dying race of humans that evolved to have incredible space-flying skills, but lost their 'humanity' in the process. How they managed to evolve from 20th century humans and then go extinct all in just over 600 years is never quite explained, but Darwin would have been proud"

It is explained... they got killed in the Pilgrim War.

"Maverick and Maniac fight to save the world for humans by ignoring just about every order they're given. They're so lovably independent-minded; it's amazing that any of these folks lived beyond their initial training."

That's only Maniac... and he does that since WC 1... so why didn't you recognize before ha? And Blair... he never ignored any orders... tell me where he did.

"The heart of Wing Commander isn't the story or the characters."

Again... are you crazy? We see a 8 million dollar FMV game with WC4... but the story isn't important?

"...the film degenerates into a series of space battles, ...."

Hey... what film did you watch? All WC Fans did complain about too few spacecombat scenes....and you say... its a series of them? Wow...I didn't see 'em... must have been in another WC Movie

"....there is some mistrust of these pilgrims for reasons that aren't explained."

Hey helloooo...what movie did you watch...didn't you see that chat of Blair and Paladin...or the mentioning of the Pilgrim war ha?

"Also, I didn't like the relationship between Angel and Blair. This is actually a storyline that happened in the original game, but there the pair were simply fellow pilots, and not in a superior/subordinate position. I don't buy a pilot falling for his C.O., especially in the middle of a war."

So the CAG Colonel Devereaux in Wc2 wasnt Captain Blairs superior officer or what...in THAT game we FIRST and MOST see that relationship....HEY WHAT GAME DID YOU PLAY?????

"The Tiger's Claw looks impressive from space, but inside it's cramped, with tight bulkheads and pipes snaking all along the walls, like the inside of a submarine."

That Tigers Claw was an old ship...like mentioned in WC1...hell.....do you know what WC is at all???

"...the Kilrathi look terrible. They're supposed to be lion-like, and they end up looking like rubber suits."

Ok...but how to make good Kilrathi without good budged? Ha?

"They have shamelessly stolen from everybody. The special effects and the fighter aircraft are pure Star Wars,....."

Hahaha... and other people said the air(?)craft looked like old tin cans...but If you think their Star Wars like and even the Special Effects...wow...thanks for the compliment..."

"...the music is practically note for note The Empire Strikes Back....."

Ha?...I watched that movie...and I listened to WC Soundtrack....where is that note.....the high C or the low E?

"the dialogue is Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo......"

ah..ok..well if you mean.....

" the characters are a cross between Ferris Bueller and Bill and Ted, and a climactic scene where Lieutenant Chris Blair (Freddie Prinze Jr.) is saved by the club-headed bigot who is his nemesis, is lifted straight out of Alien."

Guy...the characters are out of a 10 year old game, so...ah...forget it...."

"make the head fighter pilot gorgeous Angel (Saffron Burrows) who volunteers to die, but is saved at the end by a method so improbable they don't even bother to explain how it could possibly have happened, and who lives to plant a passionate kiss upon the lips of our Hero Freddie Prinze Jr. - amazing, since she appeared to be stone dead only seconds before - I know! Sleeping Beauty - and you have the makings of a hit."

Yeah...but if Arnold Schwarzenegger holds himself at position at the outside hull of a aircraft in "Eraser" thats realistic ha?

"But if you want non-stop Special Effects; inter-racial suggested sex (or was it interspecies?); lots and lots of bam bam boom boom whish whoosh; bad guys who aren't really bad at heart; good guys who "have the gift," that is the Pilgrim gift; and a space ship filled with gorgeous female fighter pilots who wear skimpy, sexy nightgowns to sleep even as their world teeters on Kilrathi destruction - WingCommander is the place you want to be."

Do I have anything to say about that?

""Wing Commander" is such a mind-numbing, awful, embarrassing, idiotic, corny, ludicrous, laughable, superficial, just plain bad, movie that I almost couldn't believe my own eyes or ears most of the time. How could 20th-Century Fox, the movie's studio, have the nerve to even release this...this...I can't even think of a word awful enough to criticize it with. "

Again...please go...dont no awful enough to send you

"The biggest downfall of the movie, however, was that it sucks. No, I mean it sucks, hard. Yes, it sucks, if I would have spent my $5 on the corner of Main street I don't think I could have gotten more suckage out of someone, er, thing. Oh drat, only 487 words so far, so I guess I'll go on about why this movie sucked. Hey! It'll be just like a high school essay. "

Anything else you can say`?

"Quite frankly, I honestly think that the team in charge of all of the animation got 3D Studio Max and bought "How to Make a Movie on your Roommate's Computer: For Dummies." Not only is the computer animation downright raunchy, but the blue screen and other special effects suck as well. "

Ah yeah...go and make it better...I wanna see

"Wing Commander, well, hahahahaha! Hehehe, oh boy, hahahahaha. Bwahahahahaha; story& Wing Commander, hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha! "

And THAT you tell a critic yeah? Ok just wanted to know...The next please....

"I don't even think they filmed it in the right order. For instance, in one scene we see Maniac having sex with his co-pilot, but a few scenes later we see them meet in a bar, which appears to be for the first time."

Ah yeah...where was that? She DIED after that scene man...."

"Who knows, maybe it's better for all of us if Hollywood sticks to making movies and not signing licenses to game companies, and if developers stick to making games and not signing licenses to Hollywood. And after all of this, I have only one question on my mind - when will they learn?"

There it is...the REAL reason...you just dont watch the movie...you say...aha that movie is based on a game....it must suck....I tell you something.....THAT SUCKS!!

Finally I have to say only one thing: "WC rocks"

Thank you

The newsposts after that are WC themed Christmas songs as things settle into the truly deranged.

quote:

Wing Commander The Movie
(To the tune of Frosty the Snowman)

Wing Commander the Movie
Was a jolly happy film
With Freddie Prinze and Matt Lillard
and no S on Tiger's Claw.
Wing Commander the Movie
Was an awful film 'they' say
Reviews were crap
But the true fans clap
When they see that intro scene.
There must have been some confusion
On that old movie set
For when they filmed a traitor plot
It had to be cut out.
Wing Commander the Movie
Was as good as it could be
And the true fans say
It was better most ways
Then Star Wars TPM.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Reharakhti posted:

No way. Whatever it costs I will buy you!!!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JonathanDBrown/status/722697672000434176

:gary:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

:golfclap:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
<<< Ha ha cool

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
What kind of charges would they be going to jail for? Have they been siphoning cash under the table? Or have they been not paying the VAT over? Being unethical scummy marketers isn't in and of itself illegal. They could be sued of course if the project sinks but that's just money.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

congrats pgabz sick new avvy

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghostlight posted:

40k nerds get really testy really quickly when you point out how much of a Starcraft ripoff it is though.

Except 40k is eleven years older. I still have the original rule-book. It is chock full of guides to how to build your own speeders from scratch and stuff.
A much more fun and casual approach to gaming than the juggernaut of money separation tactics it is now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the latest on the lawsuit? Derek Smart promised us a lawsuit.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Friendly Humour posted:

he also said that today was the day he would be walking into a federal building ........... with Legal

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EightAce posted:

he also said that today was the day he would be walking into a federal building ........... with Legal

Didn't he say somewhere in May

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
maybe? I'm getting confused with all the dates now.

Derek will win this .............

there are facts that are wrong, there is bluster and hyperbole . But he is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EightAce posted:

Unless Legal is a service dog he'll have to leave him tied up outside.

• Locked thread