Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
his story doesnt make much sense when the picture he paints is exactly who/what they would want to preach to and save.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Will a jpeg do or do you require something fancy like a zip file?

.rar only, :3: XD

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"My g/f was bored so she asked if I wanted to play a game, so I got up, put some pants on and made my way to my gun locker. I took out my Colt Single Action, the best gun in the world, and came back and slammed it on the table. She clammed right up when she knew what I meant by it, just a harmless bit of fun."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

.rar only, :3: XD

Aha! So you're clearly affiliated with those East-european hit citizen squads we've been hearing about. You probably deserve to be in jail.

No file for you! :colbert:

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

intardnation posted:

his story doesnt make much sense when the picture he paints is exactly who/what they would want to preach to and save.

Yeah that's actually a very good point. His own personal story's logical consistency is a sham.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AlmightyPants posted:

If they were rational they'd be looking at upcoming competing products and trying to figure out how best to stand out or beat them.

That statement relies on them being rational though.

The thing is-- they can not compete with them. They just can't. It's not just a question of rationality -- it's a question of talent, efficiency, and synergy.

CLOUD IMPERIUM CAN'T COMPETE

CIG can't compete with the AAA Space Games they know about -- and the certainly can't compete with the ones they don't know about. They are a floundering, disorganized studio -- the Ad Hoc-iest game studio in recent memory -- and they've betrayed this very fact repeatedly without intending to in the very shows meant to boost backer confidence in the project.

Over the last month or so, I have been astonished to see how many new faces have appeared on "Around the Verse". This most recent episode features an employee in LA who was on his very first day of work. His very first day.

I don't mean by mentioning him to impugn his talent or question his worth. He might be a great hire-- as might be all the new hires. But CIG is a Gaming Studio whose revolving door spins like a top -- so many leaving, so many coming in. It might take 3-6 months before a new hire reaches something approximating productivity. Yet CIG is not a well-tuned engine made faster or more efficient once new employees learn the ropes, it is a bucket brigade. Some fight fires, others try to keep the thing afloat.

Rockstar, Bethesda, Infinity Ward, Bioware-- these are machines. Work doesn't grind to a halt because some guy broke his arm, or because they lose a key employee, or because they can't fill a position. They may occasionally push a release date back three months, they may occasionally even lose a badass. But deadlines matter to them because they make their money AFTER release, not before.

And the most successful of them hardly lose employees at all. Bethesda Softworks has 100 employees. Some have worked together 5,10 even 20 years. Todd Howard touched on the mysterious shorthand that emerges between people who've worked together closely for that long in a recent speech at DICE. There are synergies CIG can't even dream of once a studio achieves that level of cohesion. It took 100 people 4 years to put out Fallout 4-- and they made nearly $1B in 24 hours upon release. CIG can't compete against such studios because they can't compete like them.

"YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GAME DEVELOPMENT!"

"Why, it's just the way the Games Industry works!", the backers always retort, as some did when Mark Skelton's surprise departure was announced only days ago. "You know nothing about Game Development if you don't know that!"

Alas, would that that were true. Would that it all were true! Than the steady flow of CIG arrivals and departures was a sign of the relative health of the company; a sign of good things to come for Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Yet the perpetual turnover and ad hoc development habits of Cloud Imperium Games are not typical of every studio.

Nor are logjams where two years of motion capture animations pile up undeployed because there's no Technical Animator on-hand to port them into the game.

Nor is starting a new year without a development roadmap for the year ahead, necessitating ad hoc spitballing sessions between management power players spread across the globe.

Nor is prioritizing the addition of in-game Spacedoll clothes shopping when your tutorial is broken, your flight model ludicrous, and your FPS so bad you can put a clip full of bullets in an opponents head, only to watch him strike a T Pose and hover away.

THIS IS WHAT FLOUNDERING LOOKS LIKE

It explains quite neatly why Star Citizen remains in an unstable Alpha state, 4.5 years in, with less than 10% of its promised content and features available for players. A company like CIG does not have time to anticipate and then respond to their competitive threats because...

...Their Developers are too busy lining up all of Chris Roberts promised game features and deciding which ones to shoot in the head...

...Their QA teams are documenting bugs squashed months ago somehow resurrected with new patches...

...Their Customer Support folks are busy sending canned "too bad, so sad" replies to people asking for refunds...

... Their Community Team is too busy putting out weekly tv shows about Wing Commander arcana while denying viewers answers about delivery dates for content...

... Their Visionary Leader is too busy shooting even more footage for a long overdue single player game unlikely to ever recoup its development budget...

...and their Marketing Team, such as it is, continues to pursue her Hollywood dream while not even bothering to stay abreast of basic game developments like Evocati testing...

How can they respond to threats from without when fighting threats from within is a fulltime job?

quote:

I can see them totally ignoring anything else, head in the sand, and coming in with what they've had that's good enough. They believe their main competition is Elite (jealousy) and maybe No Man's Sky because it's getting a ton of press (jealousy again). I don't think they see anything else as a threat, as their scope is so large (pretty much infinite because they are incapable of saying no) that no one else will ever match them on (promised) features.

I know this was true for the last few years, when Chris Roberts thought the Space Game race market would be fought over between him and his Frenemy of old, David Braben.

But 2016 has been a wake up call. and from what I can tell, yesteryear's sense of Manifest Destiny is beginning to crumble in the senior leadership. It is one thing to make offhand claims about developing a shooter on par with Call of Duty when you're primary competition is a space game that hasn't yet added space legs. It is quite another when the latest "Call of Duty" game is set in space and includes space dogfighting missions and Zero G combat.

"I sense a disturbance in The Farce..."

quote:

I'm presently of the belief that if you're not a multi-platform game, you shouldn't show at E3 where there are hundreds of other titles competing for coverage. If they were smart, they'd launch a press blitz sometime in the doldrums, showing off something super impressive that gets people talking.

Except they may not have anything super impressive to show. They unfortunately now live in a world where the Admiral Bishop speech will be compared with Infinite Warfare cutscenes. It's going to be really hard to compete against that kind of polish, especially when Infinity Ward specifically prioritized improving the CoD storytelling elements and brought in some of the creatives behind "The Last of Us" and "Uncharted 4" to do just that.

Chris Roberts told us that AAA studios make creatively compromised games and subordinate creative visionaries to beancounter concerns. And in 3 years time, one of the biggest AAA franchises in gaming history has cooked up a Dogfighting and FPS movie game that Squadron 42 must now prove superior to, lest Chris' narrative be repudiated. I'm going out on a limb here, but I kinda think he's parped on that front...

quote:

I don't think even Hamill can bring them eyeballs in anywhere close to the amounts they might predict. Some people will nerd out, but it's not a Star Wars convention, it's a video game trade show. It might be in LA, but people aren't there to see Hamill, they're there to see video games. It's not the 1990s anymore, having someone with some celebrity doesn't matter to today's more educated consumers.
Hey, I agree with this.

When I originally predicted a possible Hamill appearance, it was as much about reinforcing backer confidence during an event that's likely to erode it.

A Hamill appearance gets Chris a warmer crowd than he might otherwise enjoy, and that's going to come across better on the livestream, but Hamill can't use the Force and make new people buy this game when a lot of other E3 signals might be saying, "This aren't the games you're looking for. Move along. Move along." I think we might see a bump in sales, but only that.

The bigger problem coming out of E3 is one I've harped for awhile.

Gorf posted:

"All the big competitor games are yet one further reason to start changing the Star Citizen narrative -- and frankly, five gets you ten that we are going to see stories coming out of E3 of the "Is Mass Effect Andromeda a Star Citizen killer?" And "Space Games Wars: The Big Publishing Empire Strikes Back!"

These narratives are too ironic not to tempt a journalist or two, and Mark Hamill's presence makes the connection so obvious even a Gaming Journalist might figure it out.

If I were Chris, I'd be very, very worried about this. If he employed real Marketing and Brand expertise, they'd have warned of this very risk a long time ago, and they'd have made course corrections to reduce the risk. But he doesn't, and they didn't, and now we're here.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 29, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Synchronized posted:

Yeah that's actually a very good point. His own personal story's logical consistency is a sham.

Well not quite. It's entirely possible they were already done with the girlfriend or she had already politely refused them; it's possible that they felt nervous talking to two people as opposed to a single woman. Who knows. It's the motivations/causal relations that are at fault.

Perfectly logical.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh come on that story is totally made up, didn't happen. stdh.txt

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Aha! So you're clearly affiliated with those East-european hit citizen squads we've been hearing about. You probably deserve to be in jail.

No file for you! :colbert:

How dare you speak to me in such a negative fashion. You must be a troll, or a dink!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Look as G0RF, G0RFing up the thread with his G0RFness.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How dare you speak to me in such a negative fashion. You must be a troll, or a dink!

Just someone who remembers the origins of .RAR, товарищ.
:commissar:

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Mendrian posted:

Well not quite. It's entirely possible they were already done with the girlfriend or she had already politely refused them; it's possible that they felt nervous talking to two people as opposed to a single woman. Who knows. It's the motivations/causal relations that are at fault.

Perfectly logical.

Well, I don't know about his regional Mormons' modus operendi, but it's the part about avoiding that house afterwards for an extended period that doesn't add up in my estimation. While it's entirely possible that the individuals there at the moment decided they wanted to pull out for that specific reason, I would expect them to rally with reinforcements and come back to try to proselytize to him in particular sooner rather than later. Not abandon the house out of fear. Though of course this is coloured by my experiences.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

G0RF posted:

A Hamill appearance gets Chris a warmer crowd than he might otherwise enjoy, and that's going to come across better on the livestream, but Hamill can't use the Force and make new people buy this game when a lot of other E3 signals might be saying, "This aren't the games you're looking for. Move along. Move along."
This is completely, 100% wrong.

....because the thing about that line from Star Wars is that there actually ARE droids in the landspeeder, and they ARE the ones the stormtroopers are looking for. In this case, I think it's pretty clear CIG won't be bringing a game worth showing to anyone, and I'm not so sure anyone's actually looking for it. No mind tricks required!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
*actual in-engine footage*

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the old "WELL HAVE YOU??" defense is so god damned idiotic, no one needs to be a chef to know when they're being served poo poo.

That reminds me of the helicopter bit from here:
https://youtu.be/ekoDt_uxb_E

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Stuff gets made outside of the US, London, and/or Germany? News to me!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I said it, just London. gently caress the rest of the U.K.!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, I said it, just London. gently caress the rest of the U.K.!

Hmm… Wilmslow is outside of London. So yeah, that checks out.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

the Eye of Sauron has shifted

Sandi noticed HR hired a new female employee?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I am in prison, send cookies (and a file)

You will need to agree to the ToS first.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Look as G0RF, G0RFing up the thread with his G0RFness.

It's true. I was triggered by yet another encounter with the "You know nothing about game development!" canard elsewhere and felt prompted to effort post. I apologize if I threw off some thread momentum...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 30, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Synchronized posted:

Well, I don't know about his regional Mormons' modus operendi, but it's the part about avoiding that house afterwards for an extended period that doesn't add up in my estimation. While it's entirely possible that the individuals there at the moment decided they wanted to pull out for that specific reason, I would expect them to rally with reinforcements and come back to try to proselytize to him in particular sooner rather than later. Not abandon the house out of fear. Though of course this is coloured by my experiences.

Do Mormons commonly revisit the same house over and over again? As in the same group, repeatedly?

Disclaimer: i clearly don't know anything about polygamous spaceman cult development.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

.LHA or GTFO

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

G0RF posted:

THIS IS WHAT FLOUNDERING LOOKS LIKE

It explains quite neatly why Star Citizen remains in an unstable Alpha state, 4.5 years in, with less than 10% of its promised content and features available for players. A company like CIG does not have time to anticipate and then respond to their competitive threats because...

...Their Developers are too busy lining up all of Chris Roberts promised game features and deciding which ones to shoot in the head...

...Their QA teams are documenting bugs squashed months ago somehow resurrected with new patches...

...Their Customer Support folks are busy sending canned "too bad, so sad" replies to people asking for refunds...

... Their Community Team is too busy putting out weekly tv shows about Wing Commander arcana while denying viewers answers about delivery dates for content...

... Their Visionary Leader is too busy shooting even more footage for a long overdue single player game unlikely to ever recoup its development budget...

...and their Marketing Team, such as it is, continues to pursue her Hollywood dream while not even bothering to stay abreast of basic game developments like Evocati testing...

How can they respond to threats from without when fighting threats from within is a fulltime job?

You forgot the CS, Marketing and probably more of their staff being busy crawling the internet every hour of the day scanning for dissenters.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey MoMA, please post something so that Derek can be summoned to tell us what is going to happen on Tuesday.

Thank you.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

G0RF posted:

It's true. I was triggered by yet another encounter with the "You know nothing about game development!" canard elsewhere and felt promoted to effort post. I apologize if I threw off some thread momentum...

Heh, I meant more about you taking the time to sensibly and systematically dismantle their nonsense with your realism and reason.

I don't think this thread's had much momentum since Ben-ghazi, maybe this TOS business will see it regain some.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

orcinus posted:

You will need to agree to the ToS first.

If I shank you, it means you've accepted the new TOS which includes death as a side effect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
MOMA had quite a bit of momentum rolling...

WITH THE PUNCHES!

:flip:

It's okay though, because MOMA will come back in a few days and tell us his meal plan for the week just as a juicy new revelation is brought forward.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Pointy posted:

You forgot the CS, Marketing and probably more of their staff being busy crawling the internet every hour of the day scanning for dissenters.

But that's always a sign of a healthy game studio!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Heh, I meant more about you taking the time to sensibly and systematically dismantle their nonsense with your realism and reason.

I don't think this thread's had much momentum since Ben-ghazi, maybe this TOS business will see it regain some.

A lot of that kinetic energy had only one thread as outlet-- once that opened up, and the Discord era began, it's had many outlets, public and private, to energize.

I'm expecting the thread to speed up a lot during E3 -- as we digest and react to the big reveals. I know I'll have lots to say then, and I'm pretty sure I won't be alone. (If I am, well, I apologize in advance for the wall of :words: I'll no doubt leave here!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I shank you, it means you've accepted the new TOS which includes death as a side effect.

The so-called shankwrap agreement.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

orcinus posted:

Do Mormons commonly revisit the same house over and over again? As in the same group, repeatedly?

Disclaimer: i clearly don't know anything about polygamous spaceman cult development.

In my city, yes. Particularly if you let them in. They take that as an opportunity to build upon, by cultivating a sort of acquaintance. If you firmly but politely tell them no at your doorstep then that's less likely. Many people feel a sort of obligation to invite them in and hear them out, which plants a sort of seed for repeat visits.

Now your mileage may vary, since it's my understanding that they operate in various ways with different stratagems.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MOMA had quite a bit of momentum rolling...

WITH THE PUNCHES!

:flip:

It's okay though, because MOMA will come back in a few days and tell us his meal plan for the week just as a juicy new revelation is brought forward.

he doesn't have to work memorial weekend i guess cig aren't monsters after all

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

G0RF posted:

But that's always a sign of a healthy game studio!

Any word (or summary) on the police state memo that supposedly went out to CIG employees a while ago?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

If I were Chris, I'd be very, very worried about this. If he employed real Marketing and Brand expertise, they'd have warned of this very risk a long time ago, and they'd have made course corrections to reduce the risk. But he doesn't, and they didn't, and now we're here.

He has marketing expertise. He has the best saleswoman in the world. She's been that way ever since she was a little girl.

What should really bother Chris is the level of venom that the Infinite Warfare trailer elicited from the public. With 2.7 million dislikes (fully 10% of the total views) it is the most disliked video of all time. And yet it shows precisely the kind of thing Chris was people to get excited for in Squadron 42: a merging of FPS and space sim combat, planetary and EVA gameplay, incredibly high fidelity characters, compelling narration, and seamless transitions across a wide variety of scenes. Worse yet it's done in an incredibly evocative and dynamic manner that blows CIG's original Squadron 42 trailer, let alone the boring teasers like the "Old Man" intro, out of the water. And how does the community respond? By ignoring it completely and bitching about how the Modern Warfare remastered edition is bundled in with it instead. The core gameplay offered by Infinite Warfare, the very thing that CIG is building their entire franchise on, is so uninteresting that people are ignoring it completely to talk about a tie-in.

This is what CIG originally got people excited with. Three and half years later it's embarrassingly dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgUuGunU0o

This is the last thing CIG provided to excite people on SQ42. Notice how it's nothing about gameplay and entirely about having a movie actor in a game. It's a perfect reflection of how misguided Chris's priorities are, and as you say if Chris had actual professionals telling him how to market his game we would see actual fighting instead of an old white guy (who also happens to be one of the best voice actors available) playing the role of an old white guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME

Now compare the quality of those videos to this, and then remember that this is the most disliked YouTube video of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

I wouldn't be surprised if Infinity Ward includes some AAA acting talent in their game. They have in the past, many times, no really they make CIG look like a joke with their cast list, and they do all facial capture CIG does... only better. More importantly they know how to use that talent.

quote:

"The thing about doing any kind of voice over work is that you're not restricted to how you look. Reznov is physically a character I'd probably not be cast as." - Gary Oldman

The real kicker? The huge list of incredibly talented actors is barely mentioned. Nobody at Treyarch drops the script on the ground to impress people to show how big it is (and then makes a menial pick it up). The behind the scenes stuff is tangential at best instead of being the only thing the company talks about. Nobody except Chris Roberts gives a poo poo about a bunch of actors lounging around in ping-pong ball covered gimp suits. Very few people are interested in the behind the scenes stuff like the character pipeline or the facial capture stuff, yet with the exception of the Morrow tour (which CIG still hasn't released a direct video of) that's all CIG talks about.

Having big name talent might have worked in the 90s when the gaming industry was still young and people didn't really have a solid grasp on what marketing strategies were viable. Now, nearly two decades later, it's far more mature and a marketing genius like Sandi should have seen it coming from a mile away. Acting talent, quality graphics, and a compelling narrative aren't marketing points any more; they're expected. Performance capture and quality voice work are commonplace. Same goes for dynamic, movie-like cut scenes. The content and features Roberts prattles on endlessly about are the same things that his competition barely considers worth mentioning.

All that's left is gameplay, and CIG doesn't have anything to show.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Remember the time Skyrim was delayed for two weeks because Todd Howard fell off his bicycle and broke his hands?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

trucutru posted:

Hey MoMA, please post something so that Derek can be summoned to tell us what is going to happen on Tuesday.

Thank you.

I have no idea what Derek's plans are, but if he has them, they are likely to be Wednesday June 1st and not Tuesday May 31st. I don't think the TOS expires until May 31st is over.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

and then remember that this is the most disliked YouTube video of all time:
Haha, that's amazing.

For years the COD devs get poo poo for just doing endless clones, so they try something different and get poo poo on even more?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What should really bother Chris is the level of venom that the Infinite Warfare trailer elicited from the public. With 2.7 million dislikes (fully 10% of the total views) it is the most disliked video of all time. And yet it shows precisely the kind of thing Chris was people to get excited for in Squadron 42: a merging of FPS and space sim combat, planetary and EVA gameplay, incredibly high fidelity characters, compelling narration, and seamless transitions across a wide variety of scenes. Worse yet it's done in an incredibly evocative and dynamic manner that blows CIG's original Squadron 42 trailer, let alone the boring teasers like the "Old Man" intro, out of the water. And how does the community respond? By ignoring it completely and bitching about how the Modern Warfare remastered edition is bundled in with it instead. The core gameplay offered by Infinite Warfare, the very thing that CIG is building their entire franchise on, is so uninteresting that people are ignoring it completely to talk about a tie-in.
The dislikes are almost wholly unrelated to the actual content of the trailer, though. They're there because MW is a "bundled cash-grab", because Call of Duty just has that much presence in the industry, and because of a coordinated attempt to boost Battlefield I. Will it be the first Call of Duty in seven years not to be a best seller? Maybe, but very doubtful considering that even the widely mocked and then panned Call of Duty: Dog Animations sold bonkers numbers that most publishers can only dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Haha, that's amazing.

For years the COD devs get poo poo for just doing endless clones, so they try something different and get poo poo on even more?

gamers are children old and young

• Locked thread