Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How many bugs have you reported? How much time have you tried finding bugs?

Just because we throw money doesnt mean we do anything to help more than the next backer. I bet the dudes that are in the top 1000 spend hours a day finding and reporting detailed poo poo about bugs in the testings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Danknificent posted:

Imagine the goldmine if they ever get FPS decently playable and monetized.

First they would have to be able to somehow have something as complex as your gun-sight (or however it's called) on screen.

quote:

Breathing

We intend to prove that breathing can be an active, interesting part of the FPS experience. Soldiers must control their breathing in order to fire more accurately, so why not simulate that in the game? Firing at the top and bottom of each breath, or holding your breath entirely, are ways soldiers learn to fire their weapons most effectively, so it makes sense to reward players for having the skill and patience to do the same.

Firing at the top and/or bottom of your natural breaths mean that there is (briefly) no movement of the upper chest to move the barrel, making your shots more accurate. Holding your breath is another way which can be used for a longer stabilization time, at the risk of waiting too long and needing to catch your breath — with a resulting loss of stamina, should you hold it too long!

These “natural pauses” during the breathing cycle will only occur while in the Aiming Down Sights stance. There will be a pause at the top and bottom of each breath. During this pause there will be almost no movement to the sights and it will be the best time to fire. We might also tighten the spread of the rounds when firing at these points. (See below picture for the range explanation.)

Breakdown of full stamina breath pattern:

-1 Second pauses at the top and bottom of the each breath
-2 Seconds to move from the top to the bottom of the breath
-Left and right sway and up and down limits are dictated by the weapon and attachments’ values
-Up, down, left and right sway values should be determined by modifiers on the weapon’s sway

Breakdown of no stamina breath pattern:

-Very short pauses at the top and bottom of each breath, about .2 – .3 seconds
-Very rapid up and down travel time of about 1 second
-Left and right sway and up and down limits can have a modifier on top of the base weapon and attachments’ values
-Up, down, left and right values should be determined by modifiers on the weapon’s sway
-Holding your breath is the active part of the breath system. By holding a button, you will hold your breath for a specific amount of time before your character releases the breath for you. The longer you hold your breath, the lower your stamina gets. If you have little to no stamina, then you will not be able to hold your breath very long.

Breakdown of full stamina breath hold:

-Holding [key] will begin the “hold breath” state
-Sway is reduced to 0 for the duration
-You can hold your breath for 10 seconds before needing to release (this action will be involuntary)
-The release will create sway for 3 seconds, with a modifier making it a bit more extreme
-After the sway, breathing returns to normal

Breakdown of no stamina breath hold:

-Holding [key] will begin the “hold breath” state
-Sway is reduced to 0 for the duration
-You can hold your breath for 1 second before releasing
-The release will create sway for 6 seconds, with a modifier making it a bit more extreme
-After the exaggerated sway, breathing returns to the breath cycle based on current stamina

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Omi-Polari posted:

There was a moment on one of these streams last night, after the umpteeth crash and "this is totally awesome!" the streamer just stopped and stared with this vacant look on his face for 10 seconds, then went back to playing. Wasn't this guy though.

One of the streamers actually said he liked all the crashing and the repetitiveness of it because it made him learn to play.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
10 millions more and I'll consider that the funding reached the 'comfortable zone'.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Breathing stuff

At that point Hideo Kojima is like "Whhhat? they way to do whaaatt?"

quote:

Context: former US Marine infantry. Big fan of the arma series.

As I read this I am excited. This is exactly what I was thinking I want. The Natural pauses in breaths is how I have always shot. And roughly should equate to 1 well aimed shot per/sec. The fact that they want to implement this shows me that they have really done there research. I would like to see what there plan is for getting shot and how bullet damage affects your character.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

1500 posted:

One of the streamers actually said he liked all the crashing and the repetitiveness of it because it made him learn to play.

I'll never understand that perspective. I'd rather wait than deal with crashes. It was obnoxious when (in World of Warships) you'd crash in the middle of a match. The earlier client didn't support reconnects, so you'd be locked out of your ship until the match finished.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

what do you have against 1970's motorcycle cops?
A thing of beauty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

if only this gif was a little longer it would be a perfect loop

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

BadNewsBaron: "I don't trust Saitek as a company"

But what makes him trust Chris Roberts?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
:lol: This guy rants about Saitek/MadCatz products because of their PR policy of never admitting to mistakes or bad products

Then his Star Citizen game crashes for the third time in 15 minutes.

I'm loving done, I'll die laughing if I watch any more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

First they would have to be able to somehow have something as complex as your gun-sight (or however it's called) on screen.

increase the headbobbing breathing modifier on level 3!

now when i think of SC, I think of an airhorn followed by the windows crashing sound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo.. the breathing stuff, tell me it was made up by a sperg and isn't actually going to be implemented...

There's no some poo poo like that would be worked on right?

I mean.. your talking about how many hundreds of years in the future with basicly power armor and they don't have cervos in the arms to assist aiming and ignore your breathing? God drat it's all retro futuristic bullshit from the 90's.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The truth is they just couldn't get the reticle to stay still.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

reminder: your char can black out from doing a turn involving too many G's while piloting his ship but is able to walk around without any problems while the ship is doing 10 rotations a second. consistency!

:gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

Holy poo poo.. the breathing stuff, tell me it was made up by a sperg and isn't actually going to be implemented...

I mean.. your talking about how many hundreds of years in the future with basicly power armor and they don't have cervos in the arms to assist aiming and ignore your breathing? God drat it's all retro futuristic bullshit from the 90's.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-FPS-Stances-Breathing

click on any of the articles at the bottom (like the cargo one). It's all pie-in-the-sky this-game-will-do-everything bullshit for the "optimists".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

grimcreaper posted:

America's Army already modeled breathing like that in 2002.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Seeing a lot of 'gently caress Elite Dangerous' on streams the last two days from the cult.
So just as a reminder, Elite Dangerous sent out their 100th news letter today celebrating how things have changed since 2013.
Including what you could do since the first public access long long ago.
And they are featuring their first 'expansion' to the game that is out soon.
And they have it on two platforms.
And cost less than $9 million.

So SC = lol.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The truth is they just couldn't get the reticle to stay still.

:vince:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

In a game where you can use your beam grapple in zero-grav to shoot upside-down with your proton gun I believe?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

In a game where you can use your beam grapple in zero-grav to shoot upside-down with your proton gun I believe?
Does such a game exist?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, gently caress, I even remember reading that and going "no way, they'll just shove this into an expansion, right? Or rethink this stupidity down the road?" and then tabbing on, and still thinking there might be some semblance of sanity at CIG.
I wasn't smoking anything, but boy do I wish I had been. :smithicide:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

Does such a game exist?

Yes, it's called Star Citizen. You can read all about its exciting features on https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet they're going to release the fps and the space game as two separate games because they can't get them to work together.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

At that point Hideo Kojima is like "Whhhat? they way to do whaaatt?"

I can understand you controlling your breathing to hit a target over 200 meters away when you are prone and the like but honestly, in this game, you wont be shooting at targets that aren't more than 30 meters away from you.

either way incorporating it they way that poo poo was mentioned is the height of idiocy

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

reminder: your char can black out from doing a turn involving too many G's while piloting his ship but is able to walk around without any problems while the ship is doing 10 rotations a second. consistency!

:gary:

*does a fast turn* *crew passes out with pilot* press x to respawn

Oh wait the solution is to make sure big ships not really turn.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Madcosby posted:

How many bugs have you reported? How much time have you tried finding bugs?

Just because we throw money doesnt mean we do anything to help more than the next backer. I bet the dudes that are in the top 1000 spend hours a day finding and reporting detailed poo poo about bugs in the testings

Report: Your poo poo's all hosed up
Repeatable: Yes
Severity: :gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

*does a fast turn* *crew passes out with pilot* press x to respawn

Oh wait the solution is to make sure big ships not really turn.

No, the solution is buying the G-stabilizer module for your crew compartment.

vvv Their faith will only strengthen, it's human nature vvvv

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
My understanding is that E:D is well on its way to becoming what SC at one time wanted to be. As E:D adds and releases more content, it'll be interesting to see how the SC cult faith holds up in the face of temptation. E:D is starting to look pretty cool to me, and I don't even play space games.

For a cultist is it cheating on SC to play E:D?

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 20, 2015

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

My understanding is that E:D is well on its way to becoming what SC at one time wanted to be. As E:D adds and releases more content, it'll be interesting to see how the SC cult faith holds up.

Yes, there is no game greater than SC and to play anything else is blasphemy of the highest order! A bazillion demerits upon you sir, and the removal of your citizenperson card forthwith!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Danknificent posted:

My understanding is that E:D is well on its way to becoming what SC at one time wanted to be. As E:D adds and releases more content, it'll be interesting to see how the SC cult faith holds up in the face of temptation. E:D is starting to look pretty cool to me, and I don't even play space games.

Yes and you would have to be cleansed to be allowed back in. The first step in your cleanse is to shave your pubs and send them to CIG as an act of contrition.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Danknificent posted:

Even thinking positive thoughts about competitors makes them feel guilty:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Danknificent posted:

My understanding is that E:D is well on its way to becoming what SC at one time wanted to be. As E:D adds and releases more content, it'll be interesting to see how the SC cult faith holds up.

That's pretty much like a southern baptist taking holy communion.

It's funny that ED barely scraped over it's kickstarter goal while SC got bajillions. If the situation was reversed it's hard to imagine David Braben going full rockstar developer buying 20k espresso machines and leasing mansions. He just seems so quiet and unassuming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I remember following Master of Orion 3 when it was in development and when it finally came out, I somehow convinced myself that it was the best thing ever for a few weeks before I finally realized it was poo poo.

Looking back, I'm pretty grateful that Kickstarter didn't exist when I was in college.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember following Master of Orion 3 when it was in development and when it finally came out, I somehow convinced myself that it was the best thing ever for a few weeks before I finally realized it was poo poo.

Looking back, I'm pretty grateful that Kickstarter didn't exist when I was in college.
It did have better graphics than usual for a spreadsheet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sandi auditioned for that gangland part again yesterday-- AND SHE GOT THE GIG!

Yay!

Sandi: "Apparently I speak French now- I didn't before but I do now."

She's explaining that it WAS NOT, as Derek claims, just a Facebook class- she took it as a child and speaks it fluently.

Now Sandi is letting us know she has a motorcycle license, unlike her husband. She had a Kawasaki ninja, a "little crotch rocket", and then inappropriate comments followed that I didn't quite catch...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 20, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Somewhere on the internet there's a Moo3 forum where they still talk about how it's the best game ever and the trolls just don't understand and it'll get fixed any day now

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mirificus posted:

theres a difference between a game thats actually a recruiting tool pretending to be a game, and a space ship game.

900 years in the god damned future and their using 80's and 90's styled technology and the fanbois eat this poo poo up. Are these people retarded? They talk about Immersion, but immersion in what? Reliving the 90's view of bullshit tech ideas and lovely voice acting?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Sandi auditioned for that gangland part again yesterday-- AND SHE GOT THE GIG!

Yay!

Ben looks stoked. He can slob out in t he office for a while. Won't have to scrub himself raw with the rear end wiping stick or open the window when he farts (he always farts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has his hair always been that gray or is it the lighting?

• Locked thread