Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
In my opinion, now as an outsider, the trouble CIG is going to have in the next year is as follows:

1) Employee Turnover: As witnessed in the last 2 years, employees and management in dev-critical positions have come and gone frequently. There are very few devs from the original buildup, like Skelton, MacKay, Forrest, Craig, quiet Paul, and probably 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head. 8 from the first 20 from ex-Lightbox and associated ex-Origin. No one from ex-Origin (excluding Tony Z who came late) is still there. MacKay/Skelton/Forrest are from Lightbox. The current trend of hiring someone, that someone seeing just how much poo poo he/she has to do, running face first into the "vision" and upper level mismanagement, and loving off to find a better job will continue to stagnate productivity.

2) Growing Backer Ire: You can't please everyone all the time. The disconnect between what backers think the game will be, what CR alludes what the game will be, and what the product will actually have, will start to turn sour. PR and Community Management have done little to temper expectations, choosing to distract with non-core feature flash (fish tanks, new jpegs, mocap). The recent 2.0 mission system alludes that this is "only a test" for more grand immersive gameplay, but in reality will be closer to the main gameplay. This expectation vs reality will hit many backers hard and make them question the depth of their financial (if not emotional) investment in this product.

3) Squadron 42 Ep1 Release: This is the litmus test, the make or break deal. If core physics and gameplay haven't been hammered out by this point, or if SQ42 slips another year due to "technical difficulties and blockers", then the writing is on the wall as far as product health. Any delay will probably be met with "well, film some more mocap" filler waste to appear productive.

2) Arbitrary Feature Cuts: You like ramming? Well, our physics calculations are borked, so it only applies to shield damage. Engine tuning? Eh, we couldn't figure it out in time, here's a dozen I-XII engine types. Cargo Commander? We can barely keep players from breaking the localized physics grids, your poo poo is in these brown non-interactive boxes. Dynamic missions in SQ42? Chris wanted to tell a specific story, and doesn't want you to miss a moment of his vision, so it's linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Thanks for the write-up Sarsapariller.

quote:

But after three years the reality of this release simply doesn't support it. I worry they're going to fix the bugs in this build- and then, like Arena Commander, basically forget it except for the occasional ship release.

Yeah, I think the bait-and-switch right now is that A2.0 is presented as a corner-stone, with the implication that CIG is going to be pouring resources into building on top of it. It's another form of Engineer's Debt as beer calls it. I think what we may see instead is CIG basically save whatever money is left by slashing almost all the staff that is not involved in SQ42 and devote all energy into pushing that out the door while A2.0 languishes. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong though, because there is definitely potential in that tech demo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey, warcrimes came back and not to much fanfare.

It's telling that a bunch of people came in to the thread after 2.0 got rolled out thinking that it was good enough to vindicate their stalwart and loyal defense of Star Citizen, but everyone is too busy laughing at 2.0 to notice.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Toysrme posted:

Hey... Someone here found a video of mine... LoL!

Ya, the periodic frame drop / texture stream is on my end. I was playing 4k at "beyond very high" settings (custom cvars). 980's have 4gb of vram and I need 7-8gb to run it. So the drops are swapping from system ram.

At 1080p, lowest default graphic options (to remove the GPU bottleneck) on a pair of GTX-980's fed by an i7-5930k @ 4.5ghz; the game currently has a huge CPU bottleneck. Previously (v1.1.5-v1.2) 1080p-low kept the cards around 20-30% GPU util. Now they average 60fps around 30-50%. That winds up being around 80% GPU utilization on a stock gtx-980.
The primary dx11 core stays at 100% ulti, secondary core running physics stays around 60%. (up to 8 cores can be used, they're currently set to use 4)

Exactly! It does make a massive impact. Normally I can run 1080p very high at 150fps in v2.0 (Until multiple ships start spawning, it drops by an amount for each ship on cpu overhead until it stabilizes around 30-40fps) Generally, I play any game out there maxed out @ 4k at 60fps on a pair of overclocked gtx-980's (1585mhz). I benchmark crysis 3 @ 60fps. BO3 runs (well it's all over the place) but normally 70-80fps. FC4 60fps, GTA-V's demo-4 averages 70fps. I wish I had a pair of Titan-x's, but the 980's do just fine for 4k with games right now.

I was picked because I continually give feedback directly to the people working on the game. I also have experience in Cryengine, Unreal Engine... Working on Total Conversions... Oh, and I wrote 1.5 of the only 2 existing mods for Star Citizen. I also have a lot of "in-game" time too, so. So that comment doesn't really apply to me.

There is questioning of how they picked "the first 1,000" people to keep network loads down. I have questions about it also. I think the process for that needs looking into moving forward. Most of the people I know that were not in the first 1,000 got in with the second wave of 5,000 a day later. That opened up more to the people "actively" playing.

Hey mate - welcome. Your script work on the CH controllers for Star Citizen was excellent, pleased to see you here. I kind of dumped further development, are you putting further work on the CH controls on hold until there is an actual game, or are you still releasing? Are you in deep?

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 23, 2015

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Do we know when we're going to see the economic systems? Because that's really what I'm interested in, and most worried about. Since all the major "cornerstones" of gameplay are implemented, the economy is their biggest chance of loving up really, really bad.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly, there's pretty much 0% chance of them loving up anything.

All the gameplay systems are done and implemented with flawless precision, like 95% of the art content is done and will be put in the game within the next 2 weeks, plus the final handful of bugs will be smashed in those 2 weeks as well.

We're looking at full scale epic release by the end of the year and the backer investment will start paying out immediately, this will win goty for sure, top the steam sales charts and be swarming with eager players on day 1.

I'm predicting we'll be able to use our immense branes to game the economy and market some trumped up ship details to all these newbs, make some sick bank and then just never deliver anything to them :roflolmao:

See you in the 'Verse buddy! :hfive:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
This game is already out in the same universe that the Axis Powers won WW2.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

G0RF posted:

There is nothing simple, nothing elegant, in the Star Citizen universe. Everything is so painfully overcomplicated.

This is the elegant cockpit of Elite's Imperial Clipper. Nothing to obscure your approach to the pilot or co-pilot's chairs, a view largely unobscured by unnecessary clutter (physical or digitally overlaid.)

This is a convoluted bloody mess from CIG. You have to sit backwards and be spun around every bloody time you want to fly the drat thing-- and there's no shortage of visual crap between you and your view of the Universe, lest you somehow forget you're in a big drat poorly designed Cyber Winnebago.

I swear if Chris Roberts were designing a car, he'd do away with circular wheels and replace them with dodecagons and come up with some rationale for why it's better for a vehicle NOT to roll smoothly over a surface, not when it can do a dozen microbumps per rotation.

Time to explore the universe! *stares at some random poorly rendered charts while waiting 5 minutes for my chair to spin around*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope the coders are being paid well.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

In my opinion, now as an outsider, the trouble CIG is going to have in the next year is as follows:

1) Employee Turnover: As witnessed in the last 2 years, employees and management in dev-critical positions have come and gone frequently. There are very few devs from the original buildup, like Skelton, MacKay, Forrest, Craig, quiet Paul, and probably 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head. 8 from the first 20 from ex-Lightbox and associated ex-Origin. No one from ex-Origin (excluding Tony Z who came late) is still there. MacKay/Skelton/Forrest are from Lightbox. The current trend of hiring someone, that someone seeing just how much poo poo he/she has to do, running face first into the "vision" and upper level mismanagement, and loving off to find a better job will continue to stagnate productivity.

2) Growing Backer Ire: You can't please everyone all the time. The disconnect between what backers think the game will be, what CR alludes what the game will be, and what the product will actually have, will start to turn sour. PR and Community Management have done little to temper expectations, choosing to distract with non-core feature flash (fish tanks, new jpegs, mocap). The recent 2.0 mission system alludes that this is "only a test" for more grand immersive gameplay, but in reality will be closer to the main gameplay. This expectation vs reality will hit many backers hard and make them question the depth of their financial (if not emotional) investment in this product.

3) Squadron 42 Ep1 Release: This is the litmus test, the make or break deal. If core physics and gameplay haven't been hammered out by this point, or if SQ42 slips another year due to "technical difficulties and blockers", then the writing is on the wall as far as product health. Any delay will probably be met with "well, film some more mocap" filler waste to appear productive.

2) Arbitrary Feature Cuts: You like ramming? Well, our physics calculations are borked, so it only applies to shield damage. Engine tuning? Eh, we couldn't figure it out in time, here's a dozen I-XII engine types. Cargo Commander? We can barely keep players from breaking the localized physics grids, your poo poo is in these brown non-interactive boxes. Dynamic missions in SQ42? Chris wanted to tell a specific story, and doesn't want you to miss a moment of his vision, so it's linear.

Any idea if they are entering into a JV/VC with Razer?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
If the 2.0 worked and was really solid with the same exact content (working smoothly but bare bones) I could actually be excited for this game because that is enough of a base to improve on. The fact that they are 4 years in and the game crashes/desyncs every 10 mins and is janky as gently caress with flickering, z fighting, and stuttering just means its the same old poo poo.

The base is sketchy and they haven't even started to add most of the game features / mechanics yet that is scary as hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vire posted:

If the 2.0 worked and was really solid with the same exact content (working smoothly but bare bones) I could actually be excited for this game because that is enough of a base to improve on. The fact that they are 4 years in and the game crashes/desyncs every 10 mins and is janky as gently caress with flickering, z fighting, and stuttering just means its the same old poo poo.

The base is sketchy and they haven't even started to add most of the game features / mechanics yet that is scary as hell.

They're also pushing hard re-releasing previously "limited" stuff for the holiday sales and, combined with the poor shape of the 2.0 alpha--their supposed best foot forward--even some whales are starting to get worried that all this smoke might possibly mean there could be a fire somewhere, potentially.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

dude all that poo poo is trivial why are you even worrying about it

what really gets me sweating though is wondering if they're going to gently caress up the drink serving minigame

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

With all the innovations pushed forward by the savior of foodgames, Cook Serve Delicious, they've got a lot of lost ground to make up.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Wot's all this then? Alyssa talked to INN today?

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

dude all that poo poo is trivial why are you even worrying about it

what really gets me sweating though is wondering if they're going to gently caress up the drink serving minigame

They've made some design compromises but it's coming together.

I kid, I kid. It won't be nearly this fun...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 23, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm sure they could have, if they were working with a custom engine that was made specifically for Star Citizen. Their version of CryEngine is doing things that no other engine is capable of doing technologically and I gotta sympathize with that as someone who is working with an engine that isn't compatible with some of the stuff I've been doing, so I'll give them a pass. Suspecting a 2016 beta (without wipes) and a 2017 launch though.

More accurately: it's doing things that any other engine is capable of doing, and where CryEngine is probably by far the worst choice to base the whole thing on since it just ends up being a needlessly complicated rendering pipeline that is still linked (albeit weakly) to nothing more than a single-purpose tech demo that is in every way unfit for purpose.

Giving them a pass because they've picked an inherently incompatible and unsuitable engine is nonsensical — it's the kind of thing they should be harshly criticised for, especially when we've seen similar things being done in other engines. Maybe not with all the bells and whistles, but with more useful core fundamentals that they could build on. At best, an argument could be made that CryEngine makes pretty pictures and that all they're actually using is that rendering pipeline, but even then, it's a highly questionable choice since it was always a niche product with little to no shelf life and where none of the marquee features that sets the engine apart are really being used in this game.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Skellybones posted:

I hope the coders are being paid well.

we're making dreams here. there's no room for livable wages

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

kordansk posted:

This game is already out in the same universe that the Axis Powers won WW2.
I can think of someone who would rather be in that universe.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

There is no rhyme or reason to any of the spaceships design to me. It's the most generic and bland spacegame.

At least in EVE the asthetics of the ships were consistent with Gallente looking like poo poo and Caldari being the more "Imperial" design.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hey, warcrimes came back and not to much fanfare.

It's telling that a bunch of people came in to the thread after 2.0 got rolled out thinking that it was good enough to vindicate their stalwart and loyal defense of Star Citizen, but everyone is too busy laughing at 2.0 to notice.

Woah, 2.0 came out in a roughly 2 week timeframe? That's pretty impressive of CIG.

Toysrme
Nov 22, 2015

Jethro_E7 posted:

Hey mate - welcome. Your script work on the CH controllers for Star Citizen was excellent, pleased to see you here. I kind of dumped further development, are you putting further work on the CH controls on hold until there is an actual game, or are you still releasing? Are you in deep?
Sup man!
Just taking an "i was asking for it", "forced break" from SC's poo poo-posting carebears.
IDK, I may update it, I may not. IDK. I really got tired of it (but was surprised that I could push it as far away form the "average user" as I could & have the average people keep up with what was going on without much instruction).

At most, I think I'll just upload a version for the "current" v2.0 keybinds. Which have changed. I'm just sorta waiting to see if anything else changes between now & PTU going live.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Has there been a whale meltdown yet? Or just quiet bitching that gets shouted down by the masses? Because that's what I'm waiting for at this point.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foam Monkey posted:

Has there been a whale meltdown yet? Or just quiet bitching that gets shouted down by the masses? Because that's what I'm waiting for at this point.

Lots of unhappy posts about marketing.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

no_recall posted:

Cause there are no bobbleheads in this game

That was a stretch goal.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

That was a stretch goal.

Its a stretch.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Lots of unhappy posts about marketing.

I find this amusing since it seems that marketing is the only thing they're actually competent at.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Idris is on sale again, phoenix this week, no sign of sales for 890 Jump or Javelin. They'll need to think about the December sale at some point soon, F8 lightning (the better hornet) is an option, not sure what concept they still have to sell, the drake bike thing maybe.

They are falling behind a bit on 500k/day, which means the phoenix sale needs to go well, they screwed up the 1st phoenix sale by putting 5000 up and they didn't sell out, so I don't expect that many this time, they need to judge it very carefully if doing a limited number and if they just do a free for all for a few days then the potential sales could be lower.

January is going to be a lot tougher to raise money too.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Remove the bathtub and it'll sell well.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

This is so hyperbolic and over the top that I'd think it was sarcasm if I hadn't spent the last few months getting a good hard look at the madness of Star Citizen backers.

The worst part about it is that he's almost right. In reality, this is the greatest moment in gaming history:

:gary:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The uncontrollable hype phase has long past, no matter how much some journos might try to insist otherwise. Most people are skeptical by default and for good reason, even if they're quietly so rather than making fun of SC on dumb internet comedy forums. Most people are skeptical because kickstarter horror stories in general have made them skeptical of anything crowdfunded. This isn't money from new customers, it's just frakking the whales that're already there.

And when you rerelease ships whose availability was previously claimed to be limited in time or stock, all in pursuit of a quick buck, at least some of the people you fleeced are going to stop and wonder if they're being taken for a ride.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

Attempt 1: Logged into hangar, sat in retaliator cockpit- all functionality disabled, couldn't get out of seat. Exited game.
They changed the keybind to get out of the seat. I believe it is CTRL+F now.

Sarsapariller posted:

Game was taking enormous performance hits too- pausing for 4-5 seconds every 30 or so. Exited game.
I ran into that too. It makes it unplayable.

Sarsapariller posted:

The head bob is unbelievably garbage. Just turning your mouse to move your view causes the whole loving camera to bob around as your character shifts his feet. Of all the bugs I encountered this was by far the least forgivable. It makes the game feel just awful in first person.
I dare say the movement is worse than loving Arma 2. If anybody has played Arma 2 (not Arma 3, the new one), you'll know the levels of janky poo poo I'm talking about. You look to the left and your view wobbles side to side as your character re-adjusts his feet. Just terrible.

Sarsapariller posted:

I would put these errors in the "Issue Council" except CIG did not send me a password to log into the ptu site when they sent me the PTU invitation. Guess they didn't want the feedback that much.
They send you the password once you copy your account to the PTU. You can try deleting your account and copying it over again. That should hopefully spawn an e-mail.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Bootcha posted:

CIG has stated that flight models and related stuffs will not be final in Squadron 42, that is one of the things that pissed me off.

SQ42 will be a good enough kinda thing because they say it is a single player and no balancing needed.

Toysrme
Nov 22, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

CIG has stated that flight models and related stuffs will not be final in Squadron 42, that is one of the things that pissed me off.

SQ42 will be a good enough kinda thing because they say it is a single player and no balancing needed.
That's because the last year and a half (may 2014; june 7th 2014 for normal backers) was spent squandering the majority of the time that the general "game direction" could have been ironed out with (via a 2-3mb file). Even with previous versions of balance, physics, etc. They could have been doing rapid game changes to establish generally how everything under the imposed 500m/s limit would work as.

You dont have to have "perfect game mechanics" to figure any of that out. (Regardless of what ignorant white-knights will tell you)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And when you rerelease ships whose availability was previously claimed to be limited in time or stock, all in pursuit of a quick buck, at least some of the people you fleeced are going to stop and wonder if they're being taken for a ride.

Yeah hence the switch to referral rewards which at the top end I believe are going to be as enticing as possible and they'll maybe work on more concierge perks to stave off refunds. LTI doesn't mean anything anymore and there's no ship aside from the Idris M and Scythe that you can't get with a bit of effort. I'm sure there's a secret Javelin wait list.

There's still life in ship sales but there's likely a contingency plan ready to be dusted off to sell virtual real estate if the normal tricks stop working.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

CIG has stated that flight models and related stuffs will not be final in Squadron 42, that is one of the things that pissed me off

That's loving hilarious, it's Peter Molyneux and Godus all over again.

Start out all hung ho for Godus/SQ42, get shitloads of money, put some of the money and some time into it, decide it's not really what they want to do so half arse it out the door while focusing on their real dream game/movie.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

Don't need to balance 10 hours of cutscenes.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Why did that guy in the video keep saying "this is an amazing experience, well done cig". He was just slowly going in and out of the gunner seat.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Huge numbers of these people are eve refugees in a constant cycle of shaking and weeping.

Does this make goons the ISIS of the gaming world?

"I'll take you to the land of plenty where you'll be safe from Them forever, just buy this Pirate package". poo poo, Croberts is running a human trafficking operation.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 23, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ShredsYouSay posted:

Why did that guy in the video keep saying "this is an amazing experience, well done cig". He was just slowly going in and out of the gunner seat.

He's trying to convince someone.

Hint: it's not the audience.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OWLS! posted:

Actually on second thought, the only way this is tempting to me, is if another goon buddy and I can

1) get this tech demo running stably enough whereupon
2) we steal ships that other people spawn and fly them into the sun, and then kill ourselves or something.

I've been thinking about this but all the victim needs to do is disconnect from the server and your rear end is stranded half way to the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

You may get your wish. (No you won't.) The 10 hours they have done Squad 42 is supposed to be chapter one, with 2 or 3 more to come afterwards if the game is successful. Chris's complete vision is much to grand to fit into a mere 10 hours of cutscenes.

Shitizens will legitimately die of deep vein thrombosis when marathoning the whole series if that madman is allowed to put out 30 hours of cutscenes. CIG must be stopped.

• Locked thread