Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
So When Can I Expect to Live My Space Sim Dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Enchanted Hat posted:

Obviously, it will be a fully developed, innovative and immersive science experience, nothing else would be worth of Chris Roberts BDSSE.

1) Write a space hypothesis on your space desk.
2) Establish certain assertions to be tested through empirical research.
3) Either hire researchers to do space research for your space science or do it yourself if you're space poor.
4) Discover that the research data does not fit your space hypothesis. Massage the figures until they fit.
5) Write up your space science article and submit it to a number of reputable space science journals.
6) Once the reputable journals reject you, try submitting the article to Vanduul space science journals instead.
7) If your article is accepted, repeat 1-6 until you're offered tenure by a space university.

Occasionally fellow player and AI scientists will challenge your articles, and you have to shoot at them with your space ship to make them issue retractions.

Alternatively, all the modules could just have a little time bar that makes you wait for half an hour, then says "space science/research/farming/power generation complete, gain 500 credits".

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it's the latter.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:eyepop: that's a spicy jpeg!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:nws: :nws:

And the best part is she won't say no because of the implication.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Chairs are the thing. Chairs are more important than the flat surface that you work on, and nobody has talked about the chairs because Herman Miller is a base standard for something you'll spend a third of your life on.

You don't go to loving restoration hardware for loving desks unless you're a New York advertising boutique.

I'm guessing that those tables aren't adjustable in any way too boot, because that would be far too conducive with productivity for their taste.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

When Asked to Show Where My Investment Went...

quote:

So i probably piqued a coworkers interest when talking about star citizen when he asked if i was a gamer since he was thinking of building a gaming pc. my eyes lit up and he is definetely interested but when asked how deep i am since i seem like a fanatic, i simply stated "Grand Admiral" well...he looked it up and is flipping over how i can possibly think that i can spend so much in a game that isnt even out yet, while i preach the truth of 2.0, so he sees the worth to me for the money i pledged, while i am perfectly happy shelling out even more these last 3 days.

i ended up drawing a sketch of my fleet (along with rough price) and what i envision myself commanding into the dark black.

i am more impressed with myself than even he is, as i started with a simple superhornet 3 years ago.

Feel free to sketch your fleet out, and with my fleet, what would you guys do??

PS. yes, i am part of a very dedicated squadron inside a large org and can fill these spots anytime no prob.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

So $10,740 worth of desk in that pic alone. Or to put it another way, approx. 2x War Packs and 2x Racing Packs.

2Karl.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea its those tables lmao

$550-1k for each of those tables

:homebrew:

There are a billion things to mock about star citizen but spending pretty standard rear end money on office furnishings is not really one of them in the scheme of idiocy. If you wanted your slave labor Enthusiastic games industry programmers! to work on folding chairs and craigslist furniture and poo poo it doesn't even get you another hour in that fancy Imaginarium studio that Crobbits loves so much.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

think of it this way: the money they are using for those desks were given to them with developing a game in mind not buying super chic desks. if the money used wasn't crowd funded nobody would give a gently caress. the range from super cheap to the ones they are using is huge. you don't need to pay 700-1k for a desk and you're dumb for thinking any workspace needs 1k desks. least of all a company that relies on crowd funding

That's the thing, you are playing with other people's money. It is irresponsible to buy expensive luxury items (ugly art desks and 20 mocap studios). You have a responsibility to cut costs on everything but development since it isn't really your money. Look at the HBS offices (someone posted a pic awhile ago). They are cramped but every cent is folded into developing a product. You think investors would tolerate buying expensive but needless poo poo when you have no track record of delivering a product? I don't think so.

Also this reeks of Ion Storm who thought they were hot poo poo too and bought a bunch of expensive crap. Look what happened there.

MeLKoR posted:

For the first time I saw The Vision, I can't just unsee it.

All I see is a boring, janky mess with unnecessary animations that is still years away from delivering what is promised. If it were two or so years ago and they released this, that'd be fine. But I am not going to forgive a funding model based on jpegs and lol at trying to make any sort of progression system where half your audience has mid game ships. How do you balance that? What systems do you implement? Do you make it a grinding slog for everyone who didn't buy a ship? If you make it too easy, people who bought ships will be bored. Make it too grindy, you alienate new players.

You have no starting reference because not everyone is starting at 0. Some people are starting at the end, others at the beginning and many in the middle. Good loving luck. Most games struggle with balance when everyone is starting out the same. The MMO part is going to be a gigantic cluster gently caress for a long time.

And at this point I believe SQ42 will be released (no way Roberts would let that mocap go to waste) and be awful. 10 loving hours of cutscenes written by the guy who made Wing Commander the movie. It sounds like actual hell.

Agrajag posted:

pretty much this. i win in every possible scenario this can play out, while the true believers can only win if the game comes out the way Christo Roberto envisioned it to be or whatever.

Yeah, seriously. I don't care if I am wrong (like I said it is the worst community on the net, better they stay with their own sperg sphere) since I am getting a ton of entertainment out of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like my game devs to work on literal piles of human poo poo in worn torn Bosnia

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Chairs are the thing. Chairs are more important than the flat surface that you work on, and nobody has talked about the chairs because Herman Miller is a base standard for something you'll spend a third of your life on.

You don't go to loving restoration hardware for loving desks unless you're a New York advertising boutique.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I tried to draw my fleet but it just looks like a cock and balls :iiam:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

I like my game devs to work on literal piles of human poo poo in worn torn Bosnia

agreed and or same.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
your lead programmer doesn't drink untreated sewage while working in the slums of India? That's not a project I can back good sir and I bid you GOOD DAY

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
basically make fun of them because what the release is un-fun crash a second garbage, going full sperg about loving desks just makes you look like you're the idiot.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Those desks are definitely dumb for an office environment, but $700 for a decent desk/table is not expensive. What should they have gone with instead? Tiny $200 IKEA/MDF/70s prison (although that would have fit the theme) desks with three legged stools?

The IKEA motorized standing desk and stool owns and comes out to around 750 I believe

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lol this is so good. I can just imagine his co-workers eyes widening as he sketches all this out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lmao the Wulge bought a keg for the developers:

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/668895051733336064

What a loving freak

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

revmoo posted:

lmao the Wulge bought a keg for the developers:

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/668895051733336064

What a loving freak

Funny thing is they loving hate the nob

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!
I gotta know what these tiers are. What the poo poo is a Grand Admiral

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Photosyphilis posted:

I wanna say that's at last 5k$ (Could be up to 15k or 25, but definitely 5+)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

alphabettitouretti posted:

So $10,740 worth of desk in that pic alone. Or to put it another way, approx. 2x War Packs and 2x Racing Packs. Thank you for your donation citizen. See you in the 'verse (we'll be the ones sitting at the expensive desks making more jpegs while you struggle to pay your rent).

Alright spergs, justify this as an example of how CIG is being good stewards with the backers money.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Alright spergs, justify this as an example of how CIG is being good stewards with the backers money.

The desks are pre-shaved, so that's gonna save a lot of man-hours...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Photosyphilis posted:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen: More ships than stars. Not even kidding.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Nothing sparks your creativity more than working in a monochrome slab sided grey box at tables made of old pallets

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The warm glow on the back of my head from the reclaimed World War 2 concentration camp lamps makes me feel like success!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Gazing through wrought iron bars at the world outside really makes me want to nail this project, WOO YEAH!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The main problem with the desks is that they aren't in Austin.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Knowing they couldn't even be loving bothered with ceilings makes me feel like an important member of Team CIG

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Photosyphilis posted:

quote:

$30 - White Citizens Card (Scout)
$40 - White Citizens Card (Mercenary)
$60 - Green Citizens Card (Bounty Hunter)
$125 - Bronze Citizens Card (Colonel/Freelancer)
$250 - Silver Citizens Card (Rear Admiral)
$500 - Gold Citizens Card (Vice Admiral)
$1,000 - Platinum Citizens Card (High Admiral)
$2,500 - Platinum Citizens Card (Grand Admiral)
$5,000 - Black Citizens Card (Space Marshal)
$10,000 - Titanium Citizens Card (Wing Commander)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think the desks are funny because it's clear that someone picked them out for their looks and not their utility. Rather than use something functional they went with a motif that matches the rest of the "development hell" aesthetic.

AP posted:

The main problem with the desks is that they aren't in Austin.

I wouldn't be surprised if the desks in the downsized Austin studio end up being the shittiest IKEA crap they could find.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Hav posted:

Lol if you sit down at work you are literally killing yourself and ripping off your employer http://www.businessinsider.com/proof-standing-desks-you-more-productive-2013-9

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

how much for that small black rectangle on the right

I wanna start small because im a cautious investor

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the desks are funny because it's clear that Sandi picked them out for their looks and not their utility. Rather than use something functional she went with a motif that matches the rest of the "Urban Chic, Dahling" aesthetic.

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!
Oh my. That's alota jpeg

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the desks are funny because it's clear that someone picked them out for their looks and not their utility. Rather than use something functional they went with a motif that matches the rest of the "development hell" aesthetic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the desks in the downsized Austin studio end up being the shittiest IKEA crap they could find.

Working with lovely IKEA furniture would be way better than working in a place that legit looks like you're doing forced labour in a prison.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I saw a picture in here somewhere of a bunch of unique looking persons hanging out in a high-end Star Citizen bar, or something like that, within the last week. It was clearly a photoshop of magazine article quality. I've spent the last 20 minutes looking back through this thread trying to find it, but was unsuccessful, probably because I'm completely incompetent. If anyone remembers where it is and can quote it to me, I'd appreciate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enchanted Hat posted:

Working with lovely IKEA furniture would be way better than working in a place that legit looks like you're doing forced labour in a prison.

Is anyone really surprised that the last thing they considered was functionality and morale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
At least this space dream doesn't involve their sister.

• Locked thread