Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Black Friday is however long it takes to break the 100 million mark and get a press release out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

grimcreaper posted:

Your a bit more behind than you think now.. he used my referral code and got me nearly 160000 credits... so that means he spent another.. well let's just say a lot, on new accounts on my behalf alone. Who knows what he's spent total in the last few hours.

Thanks bootcha! You will always be my #1 citizen!

Happily, at least some of the last few hours involved him trekking around Chicago with me in my Red Wings hoodie and probably thoroughly embarrassing him, so I suppose it all evens out.

edit: I made him take a photo of me in my Red Wings hoodie standing in front of the Blackhawks store flipping a double bird. I suppose I deserve whatever happens.

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 29, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ritorix posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300242

Sale extended for a day because of that drat inaccurate counter. :shepspends:

If they don't hit 100mil it'll be an all-week sale.
They know they're going back to that $20k/day baseline that has become their steady state outside of these sales-- so they gotta soak up this easy money while they can...

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Lol now all the people who get paid December 1st have a few hours to buy more JPEGs.

But I shouldn't point fingers. These GIFs really got a hold on me. Luckily I got connections so I get them for free. Just go to this address: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1 and tell them you're a friend of Lowtax. They'll hook you up.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Quality Chinese product right there.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ritorix posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300242

Sale extended for a day because of that drat inaccurate counter. :shepspends:

If they don't hit 100mil it'll be an all-week sale.

Chris Roberts wants his 100 million god dammit and will milk these loving nerds for it.

Trapezium Dave posted:

That's true to an extent but milking the die-hard believers can't last for much longer, especially not if majority opinion turns hostile against the game. Running CIG is expensive, they're going to need to replace the fans who lose faith in Roberts with new money eventually or go bust.

I don't know, even after all this you see people maxing credit cards and going without food. With cult-like behavior, typically external pressure galvanizes rather than degrades efforts. See the amount of spite buying and the level that some are willing to wait over a decade for this thing to come out. It still kind of shocks me to see how many people are still spending money on this. I really don't know the limit of poo poo that they'll take as this community has eaten more garbage than I thought possible, no dev on the planet would have been given the leeway Roberts has, and really for no particular reason at all.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sale extended one day.... truly shocking.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

this guy could refuse to accept delivery when it shows up

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Sale extended one day.... truly shocking.

An unexpected plot twist.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Amun Khonsu posted:

Quality Chinese product right there.
It's alright.

In one month, his trouble ticket will be read.

In another month, China will ship a replacement.

In another month it will arrive.

(And one month after, the ink on the replacement will have worn off and the eternal cycle will start anew...)

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

phosdex posted:

this guy could refuse to accept delivery when it shows up

but that would bring dishonor on his family and a ju-on ghost would suck him into the attic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I can't wait to see how "overdue crowdfunded game breaks $100 million in funding" gets spun into a positive news story.

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't know, even after all this you see people maxing credit cards and going without food. With cult-like behavior, typically external pressure galvanizes rather than degrades efforts. See the amount of spite buying and the level that some are willing to wait over a decade for this thing to come out. It still kind of shocks me to see how many people are still spending money on this.
I guess they could go even more extreme on the cult aspects but that would just exacerbate the shockwave to the rest of crowdfunding further. And there simply has to be a limit to this. Eventually someone is going to die due to Star Citizen jpegs. :psyduck:

quote:

I really don't know the limit of poo poo that they'll take as this community has eaten more garbage than I thought possible, no dev on the planet would have been given the leeway Roberts has, and really for no particular reason at all.
I actually think there would be quite a few who would have, it's a flaw of the industry. Like for example the Shenmue kickstarter, which raised the highest amount for a video game at Kickstarter despite being run like crap. It's just that none of them have taken it to the absurd extreme that Star Citizen has - they all eventually turn off the funding tap because they ultimately aim to make a game.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

But..but how will you get into the Million Mile High Club now?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

I guess they could go even more extreme on the cult aspects but that would just exacerbate the shockwave to the rest of crowdfunding further. And there simply has to be a limit to this. Eventually someone is going to die due to Star Citizen jpegs. :psyduck:

That wouldn't even be much of a story. People were already murdering each other over Linage 2: http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/20/lineage-ii-clan-rivalry-ends-in-real-life-murder/

SC is not going to have any affect on any other projects. $100 million will just be another milestone that people look at and then ask what the status of the game is now. If they can get 2.0 publicly released, and stable, next week (I doubt this, I still think they need 2 more weeks to hit the middle of December), they'll be in excellent shape to continue getting funding, especially as they roll out more ships into 2.0/2.1.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
star citizen is definitely going to have an effect on future projects

just like Broken Age and the other lovely ones did

its not going to ruin crowdfunding forever, but if it weren't for projects like this you wouldn't have people like me who mock any kickstarter

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and yes, someone will kill or die over star citizen

its hosed up but tru

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks to the Star Citizen thread, I have bought Elite: Dangerous at an Elitely Dangerous Discount and have racked up a whopping 11 hours in it, which is the most I've spent in any 3D stick-based space-sim that wasn't EvE online (or Rouge Squadron for the GC).

Thanks thread! That was worth the 15 bucks.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Eonwe posted:

star citizen is definitely going to have an effect on future projects

just like Broken Age and the other lovely ones did

its not going to ruin crowdfunding forever, but if it weren't for projects like this you wouldn't have people like me who mock any kickstarter

Would you like to name any affects that Broken Age had for crowd funding? Because the numbers say that crowd funding has increased every year: https://www.kickstarter.com/year/2014/data http://www.alleywatch.com/2013/07/kickstarter-statistics-dissected/

2013: Games: $56.34 million
2014: Games: $89.10 million

That's ignoring the opening of Fig and Indigogo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

and yes, someone will kill or die over star citizen

its hosed up but tru

:lesnick: for sure

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Loiosh posted:

Would you like to name any affects that Broken Age had for crowd funding?
The bar keeps getting raised. A project like Broken Age, which was a mid-tier name designer like Schafer pitching a random game idea which he didn't know at the time, would not be nearly as successful today. Today you need to mine that nostalgia a lot stronger than Schafer did.

quote:

Fig IMO is at high risk of being wiped out by Star Citizen's implosion if it doesn't wither before then. Indiegogo will be fine because it exists outside of games (it's older than Kickstarter).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Loiosh posted:

Would you like to name any affects that Broken Age had for crowd funding? Because the numbers say that crowd funding has increased every year: https://www.kickstarter.com/year/2014/data http://www.alleywatch.com/2013/07/kickstarter-statistics-dissected/

Your link doesn't prove or disprove or even really address his argument, and you misspelled "effects" and also you're a big dumb idiot

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

OWLS! posted:

Thanks to the Star Citizen thread, I have bought Elite: Dangerous at an Elitely Dangerous Discount and have racked up a whopping 11 hours in it, which is the most I've spent in any 3D stick-based space-sim that wasn't EvE online (or Rouge Squadron for the GC).

Thanks thread! That was worth the 15 bucks.

Elite is beating Star Citizen at its own game and Elite is developed by a publisher. CR promised us that by cutting out the publisher the game can be done sooner with more features. :fap:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

D_Smart posted:

It is very rare for Hollywood actors to change their last name. So this is not surprising. In fact, in a lot of cases, some women tend not to change it at all.

We're being super liberal with our usage of the word "Actress" in this thread

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Loiosh posted:

Hang on, that's "Games" on Kickstarter, which also includes board games and miniatures. If you took those out, then it looks like funding for Star Citizen is on par or perhaps more than all other video games combined. :psyduck:

But sure, when this implodes it will have no effect on crowdfunding.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If I were a video making man, I'd take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c9T2k42MIE and replace Charlie with Derek Smart, the Gang with different goons and Devito with Beergod, and all the people in the crowd with CIG devs and forums fabulous backers

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen has already changed the face of crowdfunding. Now we have numerous examples of proposed games flat out specifying an upper limit to their scope.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Your link doesn't prove or disprove or even really address his argument, and you misspelled "effects" and also you're a big dumb idiot

That's a difficult one to prove one way or the other, right? In terms of overall income, the gaming donations are increasing on both platforms that exist. In addition, the funding for Twitch streamers and donations is growing. If we're talking about project size, the #1 and #2 funded games ever was this year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/description https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/description

If we're talking about 'a project like Broken Age, which was a mid-tier name designer like Schafer pitching a random game idea which he didn't know at the time,' can you name me other examples? How do we define mid-tier?

So, how exactly should we define this and what examples would you like me to use?

The facts that are available show that funding has steadily increased, year over year.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen has already changed the face of crowdfunding. Now we have numerous examples of proposed games flat out specifying an upper limit to their scope.

Godspeed Battletech.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hang on, that's "Games" on Kickstarter, which also includes board games and miniatures. If you took those out, then it looks like funding for Star Citizen is on par or perhaps more than all other video games combined. :psyduck:

But sure, when this implodes it will have no effect on crowdfunding.

It helps when you have evidence to back up your statements. The evidence shows that donation funding is continuing to increase. One cannot just declare 'this will effect donations going forward' as a fact without having evidence to back up that point, right? You'd see a trend.

That is, unless you're implying that SC is destined to fail and that inevitable failure would have an effect on crowd funding. I have no way to factually judge that, it hasn't happened and other competitors are still doing well, like Elite, Rogue System, and Enemy Starfighter. In addition, small games are still coming out, like Rebel Galaxy which came out a few weeks ago. I'd say I personally disagree, but that's just an opinion. The factual data shows that game funding is steadily increasing, as are the profits for gaming across traditional (publisher/industry) and non-traditional (crowdfunding, f2p and mobile) spaces.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Legislation will happen because of this, and it will be really, really, really funny

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Loiosh posted:

If we're talking about 'a project like Broken Age, which was a mid-tier name designer like Schafer pitching a random game idea which he didn't know at the time,' can you name me other examples? How do we define mid-tier?
He's not for example Hideo Kojima, who probably could do exactly the same sort of vague project as Broken Age on Kickstarter and draw in the big bucks.

Loiosh posted:

That is, unless you're implying that SC is destined to fail and that inevitable failure would have an effect on crowd funding.
That is indeed exactly what I am implying. I can't point to evidence because I don't know exactly at what level is going to fail and how it will be received. It is going to have to do something though - Star Citizen is not too big to fail, but it is too big to fail silently.

Broken Age for example was listed as a "failure", and Star Citizen has already failed at the level it did (delays, broken into parts, and there is no way it won't be lacklustre in parts). And Broken Age still was released complete and met its original pitch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

no i wouldn't like to because that would requite using effort to responding to something

its way easier for me to point out how loving obvious it is that people are starting to completely mistrust crowdfunding

namaste

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Well... the wife wont like it but....

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Star Citizen failing will have 0 effect on crowdfunding.

I might be wrong. It might have a substantial impact on crowd funding.

But crowd funding is as healthy as it has ever been, maybe moreso.

On the other hand I could be wrong about that too. It might be suffering somewhat as the market of great visionaries leading the charge on nostalgia doesn't always pan out and a lot of people have a lot of projects in the oven with mixed results.

But who knows. I mean, people watching crowdfunding probably.

Edit: Is lying to your spouse about how much money you spent behind their back on entertainment normal or are these people suffering from mental health issues.

Edit edit: Wait nevermind.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you make purchases that you have to hide from your significant other you shouldn't be making those purchases

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

That is indeed exactly what I am implying. I can't point to evidence because I don't know exactly at what level is going to fail and how it will be received. It is going to have to do something though - Star Citizen is not too big to fail, but it is too big to fail silently.

Broken Age for example was listed as a "failure", and Star Citizen has already failed at the level it did (delays, broken into parts, and there is no way it won't be lacklustre in parts). And Broken Age still was released complete and met its original pitch.

It's always interesting when I read something being declared as failure. I'm curious who declared it such.

DoubleFine made back their financing on it. Not just the kickstarter funds, but their extra investment that Tim wanted to complete the game - $6-7 million according to him: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/double-fine-expects-to-break-even-on-broken-age - More importantly for Double Fine, it allowed them to get off the studio treadmill. They spun up a small publisher, created the game-investment funding site FIG, and are working with Adult Swim Games. They've also released another Kickstarter project, Massive Chalice.

For those curious, I kickstarted DFA and liked it, though adventure games are no longer my thing. So far, my favorite KS result has been FTL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light/description <3

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
They kept restocking the $30 starter pack. Sold 4 or 5k

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

if you make purchases that you have to hide from your significant other you shouldn't be making those purchases

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Legislation will happen because of this, and it will be really, really, really funny

It really is the worst funding method I've ever heard of and I don't really think enough of the gaming world is paying attention to how egregious it is. I actually want 'Star Citizen' to be poo poo and/or fail, simply because this funding method is extremely exploitative and it needs to die. Having hundreds, thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars for virtual items is extremely disgusting, along with the psychological manipulation that comes from mobile games. And without an ounce of accountability to boot.

I know whales in mobile games spend extremely large amounts of money, but mobile games typically don't offer more than $100 packages. And then again, there is an actual game you are playing. Here, there is absolutely no clue of how insurance will actually work, how weapons will function, the difference between modules and how useful they are, ship balance, etc. It is all on good faith, which as we've seen, can be easily betrayed. This is not something that needs to catch on. I don't know if I'd feel any different if Star Citizen actually looked successful (When I first heard of SC, I actually thought they were only selling ships for a limited time and then would stop offering them or stop making new ones. I never realized how bad it was). Maybe it never would have reached a point where it would have been an issue.

But yeah, if anything is going to cause legislation for Kickstarters, it'd be Star Citizen. It might not be a bad thing, because consumer protection for these products is sorely lacking. If you have an unknown quantity, you are gambling with your money. Some rear end in a top hat could decide to become psychotic and burn the thing you paid for or never develop something and pocket the money while giving the finger to your backers. Its hard for class action lawsuits, it'd be much easier for the FTC to fine people like that.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I can't wait to see how "overdue crowdfunded game breaks $100 million in funding" gets spun into a positive news story.

It is really, really hard to spin it as a positive unless they plan to release some more game footage when they hit 100 million.

Yeah, cultish personalities tend to double down. Especially for people who are socially isolated, lonely and really don't have much else going on. There's a limit, but I really have no idea what that is. I'm always astonished at what people are willing to take and how far they go to delude themselves as a psychological protection mechanism (not necessarily related to SC, just in general). It still shocks me that people are spending thousands of dollars, making their lives miserable and potentially risking their personal relationships over what amounts to be a video game. I guess I shouldn't be at this point as there have been people who literally dropped dead due to playing too much or killing each other over virtual poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigJane
Jan 24, 2009

Ships for the little one.

Put extra money into a stable investment fund for my child or put it all in jpeg futures?

• Locked thread