Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
PC Gamer article on the star citizen "community": http://www.pcgamer.com/inside-the-hardcore-fanbase-keeping-the-star-citizen-dream-alive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016

D_Smart posted:

*sigh*

It's a temp-ban that expires later today. Here's how it went down

So I login and got this message:

Here's why (below).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4634781&viewfull=1#post4634781

Then Marak (in that thread) said that SA was behind a paywall.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4634784&viewfull=1#post4634784

So I then copied and pasted the post from SA, with a warning that if I got banned, I was blaming him (Marak).

I got temp banned

I think I may have missed some of the words that they don't allow over there. You're not even allowed to do stuff like f*ck; because they say you are trying to bypass the swear filter, thus breaking the rules.

I c. Seems that intel hasn't reached r/DS yet. Because the spergs there are throwing a major party over this.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Complaint Compilation posted:

I j-just wanted to mmake a hague joke.

Hahaha, this brought back memories. Was that :thejoke:?

drat, SA is harsh.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Divorce now or wait forever?

Bonus B'Tak:

These are some really twisted views and crazy.

I like the one where SC will help you discover if you are truly in a loving relationship, because spending ungodly sums of money on a video game you can't even play is normal behavior.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

You quote anyone from 3-4 years back and it's easy to make them sound like an idiot, especially on predictions.

true and you don't see me disagreeing here - there's no shame in laughing about comedy. especially if it happens to fall on your own head.
the story of star citizen between its protagonists and antagonists deserves a laugh, because the premise is simply to outrageous to be taken serious.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

sorla78 posted:

http://i.imgur.com/NUI31Ki.mp4

Is that Derek Smart's game?

yes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:gary:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

To be fair at derek smart. I too thought elite dangerous was going to fail.
I mean back then they were building star citizen competitor with 2 million budget.
While star citizen had shitloads of money. kickstarter alone brought over 6 million.
Oh how wrong i was.

Who would have guessed that star citizen would end up being wet fart back then?

:same:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

MeLKoR posted:

Hahaha, this brought back memories. Was that :thejoke:?

drat, SA is harsh.

Nailed it, heheh.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

and thus begun the Great Dream.

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016
TL;DR: PC Gamer declaring shitizens medically insane.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

A Neurotic Jew posted:

because he is being mauled by idiot fucktards right now, Ask a Gamedev has put up a followup post:

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/151801073831/regarding-your-article-on-star-citizen-you-did

This guy just inadvertently opened up Pandoras Toilet. Being a good software developer and talking about CIG is going to kill you.

Nobody wants to hear reality. Just more dreams please.

Especially with big price tags! Those ones are the best dreams! :allears:

Thanks CIG for helping to possibly ruin a few future software developers by literally scaring them away from the field of real dreams with your poo poo show. :argh:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

cupitor posted:

TL;DR: PC Gamer declaring shitizens medically insane.

Whoa PCG actually sent someone there?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

These are some really twisted views and crazy.

I like the one where SC will help you discover if you are truly in a loving relationship, because spending ungodly sums of money on a video game you can't even play is normal behavior.

I like the guy bragging about how his wife has checked out of the relationship and is most likely archiving his spaceship purchases to use against him during the divorce.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

who would've known, you actually got it

congratulations

MeLKoR is rather sharp.

This also went into your personal dossier.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
One time I found a forum I used to post on when I was maybe 15 and I looked up some of my old posts and reading them might have been one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

MeLKoR is rather sharp.

This also went into your personal dossier.

It already was, how do you think I knew? :smugdon:

e: a lot of people in this here forum that shouldn't be throwing stones at Our Lord for failing a prediction. just sayin'

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

One time I found a forum I used to post on when I was maybe 15 and I looked up some of my old posts and reading them might have been one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.
I used to say teh.

:negative:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

I like the guy bragging about how his wife has checked out of the relationship and is most likely archiving his spaceship purchases to use against him during the divorce.

All around, it was 100% sad.

I'm not into gambling or the AA scene, but if be real curious how closely their talk parallels those groups.

The thing that just kills it out of the park though is that they're getting nothing. So I guess this is probably down the same vein as gamblers addiction.

Star Citizen: Buying Now For The Future Maybe Of Something Great

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

This is equal parts funny and sad

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

It already was, how do you think I knew? :smugdon:

Oh! You got me! Lol! :)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

This is equal parts funny and sad

Yeah I feel bad for the normal Citizens, even Dan Gheesling one of the streamers, he's just so happy all the time even while playing a pile of crap, you end up liking him.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo dude, $4k? Did they ever give you a refund?

It was more than that in the end. What saved me from having to go through the refund ordeal was that I wasn't as smart as I thought I had been and the better half of mine found out about star citizen and the spendings I had effected, so I was forced to sell the account, after being told that I was an idiot. a fact and faith I have now accepted.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

It was more than that in the end. What saved me from having to go through the refund ordeal was that I wasn't as smart as I thought I had been and the better half of mine found out about star citizen and the spendings I had effected, so I was forced to sell the account, after being told that I was an idiot. a fact and faith I have now accepted.

I told the Mrs about it after I'd broken even, then when I was well in profit she said "can you put more money in?" and I was all "gently caress no".

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

thatguy posted:

Still less hand gestures than Chris.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why do I keep reading how amazing SC planetary tech is? It looks like E;D with a sky and a handcrafted/scripted mission dropped in. Why is that so mind boggling and revolutionary?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sorla78 posted:

Is she dating anyone now?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"Behind the Scenes" Atv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Listen guys, he's only a game dev looking at another game - cut him some slack.

I like this quote and this guy. He is so full of wrong.

A game dev looking at a "demo" for another game is called, I believe, an "expert opinion".

This would be like your dentist telling you he filled in your cavity, and going to a second dentist to find out why you still have a toothache.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas

How do backers watch that and go "yes, having 20+ people, including the CEO and most senior staff, sit around in a boardroom for weeks putting together a demo instead of producing the game is an excellent use of the money I gave them"

EDIT: Holy gently caress, watching that more and listening to the way they're talking, it's 100% obvious that everything in the demo was content rushed out just for the demo and the demo alone and wasn't already stuff in the game, except maybe the ship they land in.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Is this where they show how faked everything is?

Real guess: Going to be lots of those "people looking at 3D models on a computer screen" because that's how games are made. It's all about the art pipeline.

If I'm wrong, somebody let me know. I'll apologize for being off base. :3:

Edit: It will also contain scenes of people maybe sitting in their way expensive meeting rooms.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Rudager posted:

How do backers watch that and go "yes, having 20+ people, including the CEO and most senior staff, sit around in a boardroom for weeks putting together a demo instead of producing the game is an excellent use of the money I gave them"

EDIT: Holy gently caress, watching that more and listening to the way they're talking, it's 100% obvious that everything in the demo was content rushed out just for the demo and the demo alone and wasn't already stuff in the game, except maybe the ship they land in.

Don't you remember when the CEO and VP of marketing for toyota spent a couple weeks with all of thier assembly-line employees manually building a concept car, only to have a paper-framed,2 wheeled tricycle to show for it? C'mon man, live in the now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Man, Chris seems exactly like the oval office that he's described as in this video.

It's also painfully obvious how little content they actually have finished and how much they have to build from scratch just for that demo.

It's an amazing self-own video, everyone should watch it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I wish I was big.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/2BSiCT5.gifv

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Look at all the important meetings :lesnick: was in.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Rudager posted:

Man, Chris seems exactly like the oval office that he's described as in this video.

It's also painfully obvious how little content they actually have finished and how much they have to build from scratch just for that demo.

It's an amazing self-own video, everyone should watch it.
Seriously. It's dreadful. I would be so pissed working at CIG.

Rudager posted:

It really is 20 minutes of self own. Way to go CIG! Love seeing scripted experience being made. "This is actual gameplay" if gameplay is walking from A to B between cutscenes.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them