Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DIG UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quick! A new chariot!

If the poll included $1500+ I bet it would still get like 6%

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah so we got this earth planet here, you see our tech allows our artists to place things in about 4 sq km or 8 sq km or even, whoa, up to like 16 sq km

serge here, one of our new world artists, is going to spend the next six years of his life populating this earth-like planets 510 million sq km

oh, most of that is water? well poo poo, our stuff currently can't go underwater because going underwater crashes everything (yes this is actually true), so what we'll do is have the water straight up kill your character if you go more than 3 feet in (this is also actually true)

like we actually forgot in our new tech that there needs to be loving underwater landmasses and right now its causing a huge amount of problems and we're all kinda hosed and have to redo a bunch of stuff but everything is totally fine and star marine is coming super super super soon guys

thanks for tuning in! I'm sure chris will yell at someone because they didn't implement subnautica in this weeks update

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

so what we'll do is have the water straight up kill your character if you go more than 3 feet in (this is also actually true)

The most expensive Sonic game.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

orcinus posted:

100 planets
roughly 1/16th of one takes up 12 GB, as seen in one of the citcon vids

16*12*100 = 19200 GB = 19 TB
100 systems.

But then the official site also says:
With the conservative Chris estimate of ten million players, for even a tiny fraction of them to be able to discover strange new planets and claim them as their own CIG needs to "hand craft" at least a few hundred thousand.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
if they don't push out 2.6 before 2017 hits, they are done

if they push out 2.6 before 2017, its going to be a terrible, contrived, bug riddled mess and then they will be done

they are seriously weighing those options right now. like having closed door, "what will we do about 2.6" meetings

I mean 3.0 is supposed to be here in less than 9 weeks, but is roughly a year+ out. 2.6 is the last saving grace for them before they start making GBS threads out sq42 episodes and preludes and interludes and prelude dessidia final fight squadrons or whatever loving kingdom hearts titled poo poo they have stored in the back there

do you know that they are talking about doing another crowd funded project? I'm not even kidding

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 28, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Sigh, not going to beat that dead horse. But, anyone want to take any bets on sleep apnea?

Pretty sure it isn't a guilty conscience.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shankerz posted:

Rumor is that :lesnick: is the LA Office Chef Food Monger. :lesnick: tests any incoming treats to make sure they are not poisoned for King Chris Roberts. So many are poisoned that most don't make it to Roberts desk or so says :lesnick:

Oh poo poo, it's shanker. Have you been banned from rsi.com again? :v:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
sq42 prelude in q1 2017, 100% confirmed today

its now more like a demo showcase, but its playable

and its awful

lol

honestly I don't see it hitting until q2 because chris is still reshooting

but they do have march 31st, 2017 on internal mock ups

remember this isn't a full episode. a full episode or whatever is 20+ hours of content

this ain't

not even close

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

if they push out 2.6 before 2017, its going to be a terrible, contrived, bug riddled mess and then they will be done

they are seriously weighing those options right now. like having closed door, "what will we do about 2.6" meetings

I mean 3.0 is supposed to be here in less than 9 weeks, but is roughly a year+ out. 2.6 is the last saving grace for them before they start making GBS threads out sq42 episodes and preludes and interludes and prelude dessidia final fight squadrons or whatever loving kingdom hearts titled poo poo they have stored in the back there

do you know that they are talking about doing another crowd funded project? I'm not even kidding

Just to be clear about this. The main feature of 2.6 is Star Marine, right? A FPS game mode in an engine designed for FPS games is the big loving problem, right?

Bonus image:

:what: These guys never cease to amaze me. I wonder if they are simulating gluons properly.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 28, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

TheAgent posted:

Looking forward to The Road To Star Marine doc wherein CIG yet again makes the heroic decision to not release any content to its own fanbase [seen rapturously applauding and wiping away tears holding "I Stand With Sandi" posters].

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Just to be clear about this. The main feature of 2.6 is Star Marine, right? A FPS game mode in an engine designed for FPS games is the big loving problem, right?
well so you gotta imagine the real problem

what is star marine besides "just" an fps?

is it an arena shooter? yes
is it an open area shooter? yes
does it have teams? yes
does it have solo play? yes
does it have matchmaking? yes
does it have classes? yes
is it all hardcore teamkill type matches? yes
can you fight in space as well as space stations and ground? yes

so like, just choose any one of those to drill down on and that comes up with about 50 more questions

if its matchmaking and has classes, how do people choose their loadouts? how do they purchase their loadouts? how do they know what other members of their team are carrying? can people match by groups? how do they communicate? are their private chat channels? team speak? how do solo players get matched into the system? do you get credits for playing? what are the rewards to keep people interested?

and then each of those can give you about 50 more questions and chris roberts is waving his hands around going I CAN PROGRAM THIS IN AN HOUR WHATS THE loving HOLD UP and then you all pull straws to decide who gets to tell chris his loving fps game needs about 6+ more months of design and coding and art and animation just to push it into a pre alpha state

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheAgent posted:

lol. the end is nigh.

seriously though if the uk studio spent 45mil over three years, and all the other studios combined spent that much, plus chris spent 25mil (lol) on illfonic and mocap combined, then they are very nearly out of money if the funding tracker is even nearly correct.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
one of the biggest problems with the cover system right now is that when you peek out from wherever you're hiding, your gun just sticks into the loving wall or

you don't shoot where your crosshairs are aiming or
you pop out of cover but can't be hit because you're still registered as being covered or
you vault over another player and kill him instantly (I think they should keep that in) or
you jitter out of the map when you go into cover most of the time or
you fall through the map because you switch guns while in cover or
the animations get totally hosed when popping into or out of cover and you turn into horror spaceman and your guns warp and bend and then you start shooting everyone like you just watched christian bale's gunkata for beginners

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Lots of busy work in 2013. Dry cleaning need to be picked up. Needed to get a set of dance leotards before practice. Pick up the twins. Stop by the butcher and supermarket, buy a few nice cars, lease a fat pad, take a couple vactions, soak in the Monaco GP. Busy, busy... Oh, Star Citizen needs a spaceship race mode! So busy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheAgent posted:

one of the biggest problems with the cover system right now is that when you peek out from wherever you're hiding, your gun just sticks into the loving wall or

you don't shoot where your crosshairs are aiming or
you pop out of cover but can't be hit because you're still registered as being covered or
you vault over another player and kill him instantly (I think they should keep that in) or
you jitter out of the map when you go into cover most of the time or
you fall through the map because you switch guns while in cover or
the animations get totally hosed when popping into or out of cover and you turn into horror spaceman and your guns warp and bend and then you start shooting everyone like you just watched christian bale's gunkata for beginners

hahahaha keep going

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

TheAgent posted:

does it have teams? yes

so like, just choose any one of those to drill down on and that comes up with about 50 more questions

if its matchmaking and has classes, how do people choose their loadouts? how do they purchase their loadouts? how do they know what other members of their team are carrying? can people match by groups? how do they communicate? are their private chat channels? team speak? how do solo players get matched into the system? do you get credits for playing? what are the rewards to keep people interested?

and then each of those can give you about 50 more questions and chris roberts is waving his hands around going I CAN PROGRAM THIS IN AN HOUR WHATS THE loving HOLD UP and then you all pull straws to decide who gets to tell chris his loving fps game needs about 6+ more months of design and coding and art and animation just to push it into a pre alpha state

So it's Destiny plus about five more game modes

should be able to finish that in two more weeks

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

I have a prediction, another new jpeg in 2 weeks.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I really should have sunk a couple grand into Transverse. There is no way those guys at PGI would have dicked over backers this hard...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the best part about star marine is that it has a story! no joke. yes, they are adding a quest to run matches, fully VOed and everything

how do you get into a match? how does it actually play? who cares! more PU quests means lethality was right all along fuckers

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheAgent posted:

K I'm betting that the new Kickstarter will be to cover expected legal fees when this shitshow collapses. By then Ortwin will be in the wind.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think chris roberts might actually be learning that making video games is hard guys

be easy on him

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean I'd do a new kickstarter too if I saw that ben just got 10k for picking up some boxed trash

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

My refractory period!

Or is that refactoring period?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
>Chris Roberts
>Learning

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

the best part about star marine is that it has a story! no joke. yes, they are adding a quest to run matches, fully VOed and everything

how do you get into a match? how does it actually play? who cares! more PU quests means lethality was right all along fuckers

:psyduck:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
roberts wants projectiles fired from guns to actually come from the barrel

that means you aren't actually shooting where you are pointing the crosshair, you're pointing the crosshair to point the gun that fires a round

which means a lot of coding to get that working

which also means a shitload of networking to figure out trajectories and poo poo because the gun isn't static, its constantly moving

it also means you get fun ARMA type bugs where suddenly you die because you just shot your own neck

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
They are indeed doing a new kickstarter . Working title is " Wig commander"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheAgent posted:

roberts wants projectiles fired from guns to actually come from the barrel

that means you aren't actually shooting where you are pointing the crosshair, you're pointing the crosshair to point the gun that fires a round

which means a lot of coding to get that working

which also means a shitload of networking to figure out trajectories and poo poo because the gun isn't static, its constantly moving

it also means you get fun ARMA type bugs where suddenly you die because you just shot your own neck

What is wrong with him? Who in the history of anything has ever wanted that in a video game?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TheAgent posted:

yeah so we got this earth planet here, you see our tech allows our artists to place things in about 4 sq km or 8 sq km or even, whoa, up to like 16 sq km

serge here, one of our new world artists, is going to spend the next six years of his life populating this earth-like planets 510 million sq km

oh, most of that is water? well poo poo, our stuff currently can't go underwater because going underwater crashes everything (yes this is actually true), so what we'll do is have the water straight up kill your character if you go more than 3 feet in (this is also actually true)

like we actually forgot in our new tech that there needs to be loving underwater landmasses and right now its causing a huge amount of problems and we're all kinda hosed and have to redo a bunch of stuff but everything is totally fine and star marine is coming super super super soon guys

thanks for tuning in! I'm sure chris will yell at someone because they didn't implement subnautica in this weeks update

All of this could have been avoided if Chris had just stuck with "pretty wing commander and maybe you can pew pew at eachother in a multiplayer space" as a design goal instead of "quadruple freelancer."

What a dumb game. God I hope someone promises submarine bases.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Sq42 ep 1.01 is coming out around feb/march next year. Brace yourselves, it looks like a mid term submission off a half competent student on a games design course that has learnt to use Cry engine. I cannot wait to see the reviews

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

What is wrong with him? Who in the history of anything has ever wanted that in a video game?
hardcore sims or light milsims do that for a few reasons

it makes fast arena type play miserable for players and the servers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

does it have teams? yes

So? even an amateur FPS for babbys like Overwatch (zero fidelity!) have those features and more! This is Chris Roberts we are talking about.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
next time on bensday or 10ftc or whatever, ask about underwater exploration and see what happens lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

So? even an amateur FPS for babbys like Overwatch (zero fidelity!) have those features and more! This is Chris Roberts we are talking about.
I'll feel pretty stupid in 10 or 15 years when my SC e-sport team wins $10,000,000 in jpgs for snatching 1st place in the star marine universe finals

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TheAgent posted:

next time on bensday or 10ftc or whatever, ask about underwater exploration and see what happens lol

TheAgent does the homophobic racist Hilter loving Ben still employed by CIG?

or is he like those spergs now who live with a disability check

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure they are preparing a lot of questions about water.

quote:

It's pretty obvious that someone out there will ram their ship in to the ocean in foreseeable future to see what happens, since we're in alpha I suspect nothing will happen and the ship will just fly under-water or explode. But in the final version or release version of the game I can't help to wonder how will CIG address this issue. Will they create realistic water physics that will fill the ships with water if somebody opens the cargo doors while deep under the surface?

quote:

Yeah technology might be different, but I don't think most ship manufacturers are going to waste time making their spaceships submersible.

quote:

"Plus reaction thusters would work even better under water"

I'm calling bull on this right here. We don't know nearly enough about the workings of the thruster systems in SC to say whether they are operational in water or not. The basic principle works underwater. However, it is more than plausible for exposed components that are part of the thruster mechanism to be damaged or critically malfunction when submerged in a corrosive and electrically conductive medium.

quote:

Any reaction thruster that pushes mass with newtonian physics would work better under water in a heavier medium than atmosphere or vacuum.

quote:

I am looking at this from an engineering standpoint: "If I were to actually build one of these and dump it in a lake, would it still be operational?"

We don't know enough about the internal workings of these thrusters to make that call. It's something CIG needs to decide. Will thrusters actually work underwater, or do they just get fried and leave the ship slowly sinking until it hits the bottom, or a depth great enough to crush it?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

This has been a good page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

TheAgent does the homophobic racist Hilter loving Ben still employed by CIG?

or is he like those spergs now who live with a disability check
yup he's still there

refactoring in progress

• Locked thread