Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

It's almost like that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted to respond to. You know, where I said specifically it wasn't a solution for a shipping game, but to get things running while they refactored the existing stuff piecemeal. The entire discussion was predicated by the idea it wasn't possible to quickly get a DX11 codebase up and running on DX12, which is false, not that it was quick and easy to get it done right for a shipping product.

It's almost like people thought you were being unbearably pedantic in addition to simply being wrong, while in reality

E:

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Octopode posted:

They probably aren't ever going to just drop DX11 support completely, and they're going to keep using and developing on the DX11 engine for the forseeable future, but having the translation layer in place lets them develop and test sub-parts of the eventual DX12 renderer without having to wait until they can devote resources to overhaul the entire thing at once. To be clear, I think there's approximately zero chance anyone outside of the F42 Germany guys willl see the engine in action while it's using the translation layer, but for the people actually implementing the DX12 renderer, it's useful to be able to isolate specific portions and iterate on and test them before the entire conversion is finished.

If it's no one outside of the team working on the engine that will see it then it's a completely irrelevant point though...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...le-for-purchase

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Octopode posted:

They probably aren't ever going to just drop DX11 support completely, and they're going to keep using and developing on the DX11 engine for the forseeable future, but having the translation layer in place lets them develop and test sub-parts of the eventual DX12 renderer without having to wait until they can devote resources to overhaul the entire thing at once. To be clear, I think there's approximately zero chance anyone outside of the F42 Germany guys willl see the engine in action while it's using the translation layer, but for the people actually implementing the DX12 renderer, it's useful to be able to isolate specific portions and iterate on and test them before the entire conversion is finished.

You can't do that.

Seriously, the DX 11 and DX 12 shader backend is completely different. It's an all or none scenario, unless you are talking 2d textures, where there is some overlap.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

I spent valuable minutes finding that quote, at least respond to it.

Is star citizen a complex 3d scene?

You're entirely full of poo poo. The layer MS provides is for experimental purposes and bodging 2D stuff over your completely rewritten render pipeline using full dx12

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

theultimo posted:

You can't do that.

Seriously, the DX 11 and DX 12 shader backend is completely different. It's an all or none scenario, unless you are talking 2d textures, where there is some overlap.

Hello friend, Ocotopode once again used his insider information on CIGs codebase to head this one off.

Octopode posted:

Unless CIG has changed the handling from the base engine, CryEngine does not rely on the D3D shader interfaces, it has its own implementation of a specialized shader system that's not quite the same as the HLSL system used by D3D11, so that's not really an issue.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen doesn't have enough mini games. Please add more:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300723/mini-games

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Octopode posted:

Microsoft provides an abstraction layer that allows you to create a D3D11to12 resource that will handle the vast majority of translation between the two implementations at the driver level, at the cost of additional memory and CPU overhead, which can be used as a fairly easy to implement stopgap during the transition from 11 to 12. It lets you transition pieces of the rendering engine piecemeal while the rest keep functioning, or use a blended approach of DX12 and DX11 code. It does require some limited rewriting, due to DX12's replacement of some higher level functions with lower level shader manipulations, but for the most part, it's exactly what Chris was describing in the original quote. You don't get most of the fancy new performance features of 12 until you implement them properly and stop using the old DX11 functions, but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

So to re-visit your original post in this discussion: If nobody outside of the engine dev team will see it, how is it interesting that they'll have some internal stopgap solutions while they rebuild the rendering engine for DX12? There indeed is a quick and dirty way of getting "something" up and running, but hardly anything that will be useful for the rest of the team while they build the DX12 replacement.

Also, getting a basic scene in DX12 up and running for these purposes vs porting the entire game to the stopgap solution are worlds apart.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I don't even read Octochode replies anymore. Just wait until he inevitably gets quoted by someone else and called an idiot. :munch:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

I don't even read Octochode replies anymore. Just wait until he inevitably gets quoted by someone else and called an idiot. :munch:

Octopode is like a boss in a Sonic game. You know you've won when he runs away.

At first he stops responding to you directly, and then he doesn't post for a week. Last time I can remember was when he was wrong about how its totally normal for a single dev breaking his wrists to to stop a 100 million dollar project.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I haven't messed with dx12 yet but from what I was reading, its a pretty painless conversion and is much faster with the same code base.

Uhhh who are you terrible nerd coders who can't press copy and paste into the dx12 box for free speed, I bet you didn't even download a RAM booster to compile it faster

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

EDIT: I will poo poo all over Star Citizen given any opportunity but if you try to argue that SC leans more towards "simple scenes or 2D rendering" than it does "complicated 3D scenes" and will make no use of the shader interface you've officially gone full Karl.

Shut. The. gently caress. Up. Octopode.

Hey Octopode I'm just wondering if you've read this post because I found it really interesting and informative and I hope you did too.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Octopode replies are about as useful as most D_Smart replies.

One is self-quotes nested three deep, the other is a block of pedantry that is probably wrong.

Together they bring balance to the thread, and allow us the freedom to discuss the optimal ways to set up our gamer bars.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Hello friend, Ocotopode once again used his insider information on CIGs codebase to head this one off.

That's complete made up. Maybe their renderer does some internal mumbo jumbo for "performance" or lack thereof, but in order to use DX calls it will need to output to HLSL.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One of the best things about getting banned is the risk of running into all of those smug replies that infest the beginning of any conversation in the Brown Sea is dramatically reduced. God those fucks are insufferable.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Octopoda has convinced me to invest in this exciting opportunity.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

theultimo posted:

That's complete made up. Maybe their renderer does some internal mumbo jumbo for "performance" or lack thereof, but in order to use DX calls it will need to output to HLSL.

Are you meaning to tell me that noted forum poster Octopode attempted to don another expert hat in an area relating to Star Citizens development through a mixture of finding cherry picked talking points elsewhere and straight up making poo poo up? :gary:

Thankyou for your service.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Agreed. Also, I think they've reached the saturation point now and they know it. Hence the cash grab type sales. I firmly believe that Q4/15 is the funding Hail Mary. We just have to wait and see.

There are only two explanations for this shameless cash grab, either they are desperate or they are evil.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Octopode is like a boss in a Sonic game. You know you've won when he runs away.

At first he stops responding to you directly, and then he doesn't post for a week. Last time I can remember was when he was wrong about how its totally normal for a single dev breaking his wrists to to stop a 100 million dollar project.
So true.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beet Wagon posted:

Since we're laughing, this is an exchange he had in one of the Mechwarrior Online subs I still lurk in last night. He was advertising an MWO meetup and had a bunch of pictures of all the pcs in his bar/rape dungeon, and this guy was like the only one who was genuinely interested.

This post perfectly sums up the term "adult child"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Decrepus posted:

This post perfectly sums up the term "adult child"

It's the perfect combination of trust fund baby and "I have an uncle who works at Nintendo"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MeLKoR posted:

There are only two explanations for this shameless cash grab, either they are desperate or they are evil.

Why can't they be both?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

revmoo posted:

It's the perfect combination of trust fund baby and "I have an uncle who works at Nintendo"

Trust fund baby would have purchased chairs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

revmoo posted:

You can come play my Nintendo, but you have to use the madcatz controller because the tip for the thumbstick fell off.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

There are some traits that seem to be really in common among the true megawhales that I've been trying to classify. I find it really fascinating how they all seem to hit the following points.

0) Every single one is a middle-aged white dude.

1) They think of themselves as successful businessmen.

2) They are almost universally unemployed and unemployable, or at best, underemployed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Lower end of income? Clearly, I must buy more 100-500$ space .jpegs, another 2.5k autism chariot and beer & snacks for CIG!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yeah it definitely fits with the demographics of Star Citizen but the interesting thing (to me) is that these traits are pretty universal across megawhales in virtually all games. Any time you see someone spending just a crazy unhealthy amount on a game, chances are they're going to fit this model closely. Star Citizen's just unique in that the whales in this game don't even start until you cross into thousands-of-dollars territory. People spending a couple hundred are considered small fry at best.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

There is no "translation layer". When porting an engine, you don't use a "translation layer". Especially not for something with such a radical architectural change as DX12.

Please stop. You're not helping. Why aren't posting this tripe on RSI forums? Go here. You're welcome.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300942/64-bit-sc-release

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 1, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah it definitely fits with the demographics of Star Citizen but the interesting thing (to me) is that these traits are pretty universal across megawhales in virtually all games. Any time you see someone spending just a crazy unhealthy amount on a game, chances are they're going to fit this model closely. Star Citizen's just unique in that the whales in this game don't even start until you cross into thousands-of-dollars territory. People spending a couple hundred are considered small fry at best.

I enjoy your posts

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

LOL!!!! I tend to respond only so that he can stop spreading nonsensical bullshit in the guise of tech

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Octopode replies are about as useful as most D_Smart replies.

One is self-quotes nested three deep, the other is a block of pedantry that is probably wrong.

Together they bring balance to the thread, and allow us the freedom to discuss the optimal ways to set up our gamer bars.

gently caress you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Octopode & Karl are modern day renaissance men, you guys are just jealous

there is nothing they aren't experts on

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

There is no "translation layer". When porting an engine, you don't use a "translation layer". Especially not for something with such a radical architectural change as DX12.

I am sure there is a layer provided that interfaces DX11 code with DX12. I am sure it will cost you a gently caress ton of performance and since MS themselves say that it's buggy as poo poo I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it for an actual game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Iglocska posted:

I am sure there is a layer provided that interfaces DX11 code with DX12. I am sure it will cost you a gently caress ton of performance and since MS themselves say that it's buggy as poo poo I don't think anyone in their right mind would use it for an actual game.

Well considering the MSDN documentation literally says

quote:

it is not recommended to use D3D11On12 for complicated 3D scenes, and it is instead recommended for simple scenes or 2D rendering.

The one thing we can conclude is that Octopode is a complete idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

quote:

it is not recommended to use D3D11On12 for complicated 3D scenes, and it is instead recommended for simple scenes or 2D rendering.

Kinda reminds me when Kerberos put out SotS2, a broken mess. And then they put out the halfway enjoyable The Pit.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Well considering the MSDN documentation literally says

The one thing we can conclude is that Octopode is a complete idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Not sure, JPEGs are 2D after all.

No, but nothing wrong about being wrong as long as facts and evidence can convince you of the contrary.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

That's not a translation layer. Also...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/10/01/directx-12-and-windows-10.aspx

http://gamingbolt.com/ex-naughty-dog-dev-explains-difference-between-dx12-and-dx11-less-gains-on-consoles-compared-to-pc

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952172/software-games/directx-12-faq-all-about-windows-10s-supercharged-graphics-tech.html

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

uhm, we already knew that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is this person trolling, or just an IRL retard? Investors provide money for the budget, they don't take money out of it. They take money out of profits. WTF does he even think he's saying? Investors provide a 100m dollar budget and then immediately take 25-50m back out of the budget? And a 100M dollar game only spending 15m on development? Where'd you get that number, dipshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

D_Smart posted:

gently caress you.

:allears:

• Locked thread