Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
dumb

ultimate super mega goku dragonball yellow hair yelling making small rocks float up off the ground :thurman: bomb waaggghhhhhh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
bad

:holymoley:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:five:
page 6437 had it all goin on

his nibs fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 19, 2016

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
bad

:owned:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is not the first time CIG has tried to be more open about schedule and status of a particular module. They tried it with Arena Commander when it first came out, giving weekly updates on every bit of progress. It lasted about a month.

CIG can talk all they want, but unless it actually translates to results they shouldn't be trusted.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Hail Internet Warlord

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Lying liar lies pew pew pew.

I think we're all on the same page, the trouble with this con is that non-marks can see what's going on, even if the marks are still deluding themselves. That said, you're right, they've bought themselves a few more months but then its panic time again. The pressure on the devs must be immense, this has to be crunch months and surely that's gotta break at some point.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
bad

Full Burn music erupted in my head as I read this. My mind is now toasted as badly as Delorean.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah you should just ignore these people because really they're just morons. They clearly don't understand the context that Star Marine exist in or the fact that the game is still in alpha. We saw Star Marine in a very unfinished state and there is no doubt that the mechanics and animations are still going to improve drastically. Comparing Star Marine to other multiplayer shooters is also utterly moronic and completely misses the point. Last I checked BF and CoD don't have persistent, seamless MMO worlds where you can fly massive ships and take on any profession you want. Star Citizen is the main experience here and the systems developed for Star Marine are only going to make it better. Star Marine is only a part of a much larger system, you can't say the same of BF or CoD.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
bad

e:

CrazyLoon posted:

Full Burn music erupted in my head as I read this. My mind is now toasted as badly as Delorean.

Really, jesus loving christ. Why do people keep doing this to themselves? One doesn't become known as The Warlord for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Derek, you savage

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Sum Mors posted:

Also, skipped a lot of posts: Did they mention their Spectrum poo poo at all? It'd follow to form that they completely ignore the main thing they announced/talked about from their previous presentation.

I think they promised a beta before the end of the year.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MeLKoR posted:

So, I finally had time to watch the pre-event plus the event livestream proper, catch up to the thread until around a couple of hours after the end of the stream and take a peak at :reddit:. I'm going to start writing this before reading anything more so what follows is entirely my uncontaminated perspective and I have a feeling it's going to be a 0.8 on the Derek Smart Rant scale. Adjust your belts, this is going to be largely stream of thought...

I've worked as a programmer for 20 years, in the last 15 I've also started having insight into the accounting and dealing with the upper management of hundreds of clients. Over the years I've dealt with thousands of honest people and dozens of extremely dishonest ones. This has made me wary of certain warning signs, if you go past - say - 30% on my red_flag scale you get moved into a "bullshit sandbox" and from then on everything you say and everything you do comes under scrutiny. However, I have a an almost pathological fear of being unfairly/unjustly accused of some crime/dishonesty and no one believing me so even though the red flags keep piling up I mostly just take note. I never actually call someone out publicly unless I'm into >97.5% territory.

This post isn't some sort of "threat assessment", I don't have a degree in law, or psychology, or anything of the sort. I'm just an rear end in a top hat on the internet that has been around for a while. It is with these credentials that I can now say with a clear conscience:

Chris Roberts is a loving crook.

I have had pleasure of dealing with the "business partner" version of the "Chris Roberts" model. Everything Chris says is a lie. Chris sometimes even lies when he doesn't have to lie and gets in trouble for it. It's pathological, he can't help himself. And he feels no guilt doing it, it's like the robots in Westworld, it doesn't register on his conscience.

I can say he is a crook because there are lies he told that he had to know were lies, things that couldn't possibly be attributed to mere overconfident optimist, or sheer incompetence, but are straight out deception..

What we were shown was "the secret build". They have nothing fresher than this, they said it themselves. This is "it". In light of what we were shown how could Chris have said that vaulting was coming in 2.3, some 9 months ago? They don't have vaulting or any of the other FPS poo poo they said would be ready months ago today, it was all lies.
Some people will say "of all the poo poo you're focusing on this?" The thing is that everything is a lie, but something like this can't be dismissed as a "mistake", or "Illfonics fault". No, Chris lied.

Another example is my Oct 31st blog, where I jokingly said:

I am now convinced I was right on the money, "The Road to CitizenCon" was...
A METACON! :krakken:

It wouldn't shock me if they filmed it in the course of a day, after all these are people with delusions of Hollywood.

There was never any question of showing anything Squadron 42 related at the Con. NEVER. Yesterday they threw everything they had at the whales, all the shinny new movies/advertisements, the latest AC and SM, looots of filler and they didn't show anything Squadron 42 related? :cmon:

A reminder that this:

is material they felt was ready to be show. I can only imagine how bad the Oldman/Hamill/Gillian motion capture must be that not even in their darkest hour they dare to show it.
I mean... either Chris or the new marketing firm they hired (Sandi didn't do this for sure) did one last desperate push to save themselves from impending doom and put a lid on discontentment that was on the verge of boiling over and still they didn't have anything from Squadron 42 that they felt was good enough to show. Just how bad is this catastrophe?

No, there never was any question of having anything to show back then. How could there be? It was all a loving lie. If anything they were working on the Homestead demo at the time and that didn't work out. Does anyone really believe they put that up in a couple of weeks? They had been working on that poo poo for a looooong time.

None of the dates, estimations, or projections Chris gives mean anything, it's all a pack of lies. If you want to discern any truth in them you can't look where he is pointing but rather what he is trying to distract you from.

What this pack of lies:

tells me is two things. First, if the best estimation Chris is giving you is that some of the work is going to be ready for testing on December 8 there is no loving way in heaven 2.6 is coming to the PU this year. Maybe, maybe it will be in the PU by mid 2017Q1.

But, much more importantly this chart tells you THERE WAS NEVER ANY CHANCE OF 3.0 BEING READY THIS YEAR. It was another straight out lie that Chris Roberts said. The man is a crook.

Look at how CIG has to distribute the human/time resources is has:

• Working on advertisements, those things take a lot of time to make and it's not just "artists" wasting time on this, that poo poo works with the game engine.
  • Working on isolated R&D tech demos like Homestead
  • Squadron 42 and everything to do with it
  • 2.6/Star Marine
  • Planet generation, careers and all the poo poo that is supposed to go into 3.0

They can't do everything at once, the Earth does not have four simultaneous days on each rotation, even if you have 4 offices. In order to have 2.6/SM out by the end of the year that means no work will get done on Squadron 42, or procedural planets or any of the poo poo that is supposed to go into 3.0. If I had to guess after 2.6 they will focus on Squadron 42 and 3.0 will be delayed to sometime during 2018 at best. How could there ever be any question of 3.0 being ready "before December 19th"? The man is a lying crook!

But lets forget for a minute the discussion of whether or not 2.6/SM will come to the PU this year. Let's make take "The Path to 2.6". During the 5th year of development the PU: 1- got some new ships; 2- got an area for bad boys to hang out; 3- got a clothing system and with it the ability to shoot compressed air out of your nipples.

That was it. No gameplay between 2.0 and 2.5. And for the last six months they have been dangling these updates in front of their eyes until they are so desperate to get them that everyone seems to have forgotten just exactly what 2.6 consist of. Let me remind you of what will be added to the PU with 2.6, sometime before Spring. Maybe.

This is it, prepare your body for hot new gameplay in the Verse:

Two new ships. A bar for the previously mentioned badboys. That's the exciting new update everyone is looking forward to. THIS GAME IS GOING PLACES!

That's it for the foreseeable future, they have to get Squadron 42 out or they are hosed so no significant work is going to go into 3.0 until that's done. The content locusts are going to have to happy with the gameplay they have, which is exactly what they've had all 2016. I'm laughing at you WTFOSaurus! :laugh:

What about AC/SM you say? What about it? Some updates to a dogfighting module no one would care about if the PU was any good or had anything to do? A shitastic FPS that looks laughable compared to what is already in the market? Oh and it turns out that Star Marine was just another game module after all! This isn't going to be integrated in the PU, they said the arena was on another system with a stupid name I forgot. Since there are no jumpgates until 4.0 guess what... it's just another game module.

And this is if give it as granted that they can integrate that rubbish, which given that this wasn't the first time Star Marine LAN team gameplay was shown is hardly guaranteed. Some blocker might still show up and 2.6 have to be released without it sometime in March. But it will be ready soon guys, just a couple of weeks and it will release separately. Trust us!

Just going to mention the sale of capital ships for fresh cash in passing with a mere :lol:, everything else has already been said.

Final verdict: kudos to CIG for lowering the fire roasting your nuts a little, it was an excellent marketing job given what you had to work with. I think it will assuage the whales for a good while, it shouldn't be until January that you will start slipping on the given release dates and they'll get antsy again. :golfclap:
Whatever you are paying the new guys they were worth it, and keep Sandi away from interacting with anyone outside her studio playroom.

There is still a chance this shitshow will continue for a good while and I for one am glad of it. It all depends on how big their reserves are, they will probably make another big sale with the release of 2.6 sometime early 2017 but after that it's a long crossing of the desert until they can cobble something up and not be ashamed to call it Squadron 42. Be that as it may I doubt 3.0 will ever see the light of day, certainly not before 2018.

In the meanwhile, let the milking continue! :whip:

e: hey. CIG guy reading the thread, i see you passed them my idea of increasing credit prices instead of offering cash discounts. As you can see by this post I could be of use to CIG, one way or another. PM me to know of my very reasonable rates.

e2: in 5 years there wasn't a single livestream CIG hasn't hosed up, the incompetence is almost surreal

:same:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Derek- you're a fuckin' maniac, but you're our maniac.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What a great day to wake up to Derek Smart savagely owning another nerd

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

What a great day to wake up to Derek Smart savagely owning another nerd

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

So I take it these losers never played that Unreal Tournament map where you assault the Skaarj mothership? That was like more than a decade ago, so good job star citizen devs for remaking gameplay from UT2K4?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

MilesK posted:

I think they promised a beta before the end of the year.

Weird. At CitizenCon CR said it would be out this year. One of the few things we can "definitely expect".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

BadOptics posted:

So I take it these losers never played that Unreal Tournament map where you assault the Skaarj mothership? That was like more than a decade ago, so good job star citizen devs for remaking gameplay from UT2K4?

I'd give CIG more credit than that. They didn't remake the gameplay so much as try to copy it and fail ruinously.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
bad

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Get DeRekt son

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
When the Derek Smart biopic starring Jayden Smith comes out, I expect the trailer to look a lot like this, only on the internet instead of the streets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Y24a0cyCE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello. I've only checked the last five pages, but I'm glad that this thing is finally out.

And I don't mean the game. I'm talking about Goondeyadda of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSMIAHZEAU4

I've already forgotten that I'd submitted anything, so it took me by surprise to hear my own voice.

Well done, everyone!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I think CIG is being remarkably transparent about all of the progress they're making on various aspects of SC/SQ42 such as

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The last two pages of this thread have been *fecking* delivering! (Unlike CIG)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Such a shame, you should ask around, I'm sure someone has it all archived by now.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Nicholas posted:

Someone convince CIG that they should develop an in-game RTS too. I want to see Star Citizen become the Action 52 of PC games

No need, its one of the stertch goal for Capships to allow "fleet control"

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The last two pages of this thread have been *fecking* delivering! (Unlike CIG)

You is not freakin joking!!!

Paladinus posted:

:eyepop:

:vince:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks to Chalks for the post inviting the retard to post here and provide some comedy!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Hello. I've only checked the last five pages, but I'm glad that this thing is finally out.

I've already forgotten that I'd submitted anything, so it took me by surprise to hear my own voice.

Well done, everyone!

The fact that I didn't get in on Goon-de-yada like fuckin last year when it got started haunts me.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Citation needed

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

No, thanks. I have already eaten.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've seen that “nothing ground-breaking other than zero-g combat” comment in a few other places. Are they seriously saying that after CoD:IW has come out? Hell… after Quake 2 came out, you know, 20 years ago?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
bad

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

loving lol

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Paladinus posted:

Well done, everyone!

Holy hell! My voice finally got used! Thought that would just remain some dumb poo poo I once did.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

Tippis posted:

I've seen that “nothing ground-breaking other than zero-g combat” comment in a few other places. Are they seriously saying that after CoD:IW has come out? Hell… after Quake 2 came out, you know, 20 years ago?

where was the zero-g combat in Q2? expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, they've uploaded all of the stream videos...

• Locked thread