Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
At some point the penalties for that delinquency are going to start being meaningful amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Quantum head-slicer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So what's happening over Not-Clarkson's other shoulder (on the viewer's right)?

Is that a TV screen or something worse? :ohdear:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It appears to be their video spazzing right the gently caress out.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looks like the Connie explorer video

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Was Space OSHA a stretch goal? If not we should send an intergalactic planetary planetary intergalactic transmission to them and let them know about this EGREGIOUS violation.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TV screen, there's a bunch of them all over the place.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

rip. hope this one had LTI.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Danknificent posted:

At some point the penalties for that delinquency are going to start being meaningful amounts of money.

That's what one would usually expect, so I'm not sure how they're getting away with repeated offenses.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It amazes me that the fluff pieces they put together specifically to sell jpegs , still manage to have glitches and oversights in them

It's not like this is them inputting a bunch of characters into a map and hitting play , these are hand crafted renders.

And they have glaring issues

The lack of polish in even their sales pitches is laughable

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, just a reminder to call or visit your parents whenever the opportunity presents itself. they raised you with care and love and would like to hear about how life is going for you and what you're getting up to nowadays

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, just a reminder to call or visit your parents whenever the opportunity presents itself. they raised you with care and love and would like to hear about how life is going for you and what you're getting up to nowadays

This is a harsh reminder as my parents are dead.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

my mom gets a daily update on the thread. She actually teared up on the phone when I told her what happened to Derek and read the doxx post.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcinus posted:

I made a thing.
Sorry it's poo poo.

This looks terrible.

I've been playing the new Tomb Raider recently and I've been shocked and stunned that I could actually read their lips mostly. They literally nailed it and most characters are bordering out of that uncanny valley. The nuances and movements from head to limbs was... amazing.

Seeing that in comparison to CIG is like watching amateur hour. I think CIG need to rethink and just focus on space ships. They're way out of their league from games over a year old. I can't see them possibly completing with Tomb Raider, much less newer stuff.

I haven't played the new cod yet (not into FPS much), but I'm sure it's phenomenal. I'd be curious how well they did the lip sync work.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

It amazes me that the fluff pieces they put together specifically to sell jpegs , still manage to have glitches and oversights in them

It's not like this is them inputting a bunch of characters into a map and hitting play , these are hand crafted renders.

And they have glaring issues

The lack of polish in even their sales pitches is laughable

Back in the day their space commercials had some class. They were even targetted at the backers

* middle aged fat guy drinks space cola

Seeing this slapped together shite is very distressing

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I haven't played the new cod yet (not into FPS much), but I'm sure it's phenomenal. I'd be curious how well they did the lip sync work.

The robot from CoD:IW, which literally has no face, has more character than anything CIG has produced thus far.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

FactsAreUseless posted:

Right?

Also, to the guy asking about buying Titanfall 2 on sale: Do it. It's good. Definitely $15 good.

ignore this guy. get star citizen. go shill in titanfall 2 thread

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Drogo posted:

you know he only keeps saying that to get a rise, right?

FYAD is good, don't get stroppy, laugh along and remember to call your parents to tell them about all the dogs you hosed and cum in. I know I will.

I have neither hosed a dog nor cum in one. Is this part of what the late great Dr. Smart talks of when he says being a Goon is not just having a forum account? If so, I might just have to turn in my Concierge level Goon ID card.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

If you like beets you should definitely have a roasted beet and cheese sandwich. Put some arugula on there IMO.

But also if you don't like beets, maybe make a different kind of sandwich.

Would I get probated if I suggest this is a post from a shill for Big Beet?

Because, if I will, then I didn't post it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

This looks terrible.

I've been playing the new Tomb Raider recently and I've been shocked and stunned that I could actually read their lips mostly. They literally nailed it and most characters are bordering out of that uncanny valley. The nuances and movements from head to limbs was... amazing.

Seeing that in comparison to CIG is like watching amateur hour. I think CIG need to rethink and just focus on space ships. They're way out of their league from games over a year old. I can't see them possibly completing with Tomb Raider, much less newer stuff.

The single player campaign for battlefield 1 is another example of cig being way behind the curve already

It has a teensy cartoon feel to the people and animations , like the faces are a little bit too animated looking

But that being said they're really good , CIGs expensive mocap and hundreds of hours of tweaking still looks like trash , and nothing quite looks right

It wants to be hyper realistic looking but just doesn't feel right when in motion , especially so since they never blink and the 500 different wrinkles never move on their faces

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Where did this dog loving meme come from? I've seen it in GBS, EN, QCS ie the trash forums. Now it's invading the one true forum and this poo poo has to stop

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

The single player campaign for battlefield 1 is another example of cig being way behind the curve already

They're totally gonna kill COD. Just need to refactor some pipelines

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mean basically this is going to be like Rise of the Robots mixed with whatever the worst FMV game you can imagine with a dash of 'ol wing commander

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Berious posted:

Where did this dog loving meme come from? I've seen it in GBS, EN, QCS ie the trash forums. Now it's invading the one true forum and this poo poo has to stop

dunno but it's like a war crime against comedy.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I swear the CIG stuff looks nothing like mocap.
The facial animations, that is.

It looks like basic scripted phoneme morphs.

The reason the faces are all static except for the mouth is precisely because it's not mocap.
They're animating the mouth from the text, using a canned set of phoneme morphs, and that's it.

The hand etc. movements are likely mocapped, but heavily filtered (which is why everything looks so floaty and weird).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

That's a rather rude thing to say to TheAgent.

Even if he has none of those things and makes everything up, it's still funny and sometimes he nails one. Given how terrible Chris Roberts methods of management are, they probably don't have a clue what they're doing each hour, much less daily, and even less than for TheAgent predictions to be true some weeks/months later.

CIG can barely tell if they have a demo 24 hours before the demo needs to be seen.

CIG downloads a last minute game during a live stream so they can show "proof of existence".

The only predictable thing about CIG is that they're incompetent and have no respect for the people giving them scads of money for nothing.

TheAgent has got more correct predictions/estimations than Chris Roberts. Makes you think.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Berious posted:

They're totally gonna kill COD. Just need to refactor some pipelines

Unfortunately, with CIG that usually looks like

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking as someone who also has a (admittedly different) disability: Just because the kid was in a wheelchair doesn't give him a pass for being an rear end in a top hat. Derek still shouldn't have doxxed him, but kid shouldn't have been doing that poo poo either.

Both Sides Were Wrong.

That one was the most disappointing, but I said all of them except threat assessment guy.

The problem with Derek is that he is so amazing to these people it's that he's managed to lift himself above being "Derek the individual" into "Derek the institution". He's this huge megaton of weapons grade Internet, and people love to play with fire.

Yes, they often get burned by him, possibly deservingly so too. I don't know what it is that has made him who he is, but I remember him on usenet as being... an interesting character. But people change, and he grew to where he could poke fun at himself as well. But similarly you never knew what would set him off on a crusade to destroy something either. He's super good at it too.

Probably over time he's learned the best way to win an Internet fight is to get it beyond the Internet. Find that person, say "So, Bill, care to come at me bro, with your job at Footlocker and your Mazda 626 and kid and wife?" :smuggo:

And usually nobody cares enough to keep going. Where as Derek is Derek, TenTonTruck is not Mr. TenTonTruck behind the username. Take the username away and the hobby of fighting Internet slap fights quickly becomes a silly thing you would rather not want the people you actually know in real life to know about.

Derek has made Internet fighting an art form, and because he isn't hiding that he's king of the Internet, exposure is his biggest weapon against anybody. Is it good? I dunno. Is it bad? Also dunno. Part of why I can be a silly fool on the Internet is because it's not directly tied to me.

If it was, I would never have fun, and I would never say anything, and I would be very much more serious in everything I do. I would be very not-funny and utterly un-likable. Unwinding is good. There should always be limits though. Don't play with fire might be a good one. Hopefully people will learn, but maybe not.

This isn't necessarily to say I'm right and you're wrong either, I may not even have a point either. :)

It's just interesting tidbits I picked up here and there, and a little about me too. Cheers friend! :cheers:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

That fair, I've been here long enough that I understand the need for rules. Never having been a poster in Games section I feel I might inadvertently break some rule I'm unaware off, could you please explain this probation:

Is the Star Citizen thread to be "on topic" only from this moment on? Are we allowed to interact with each other in the Games > Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity section of the Something Awful forums or must every post follow the template CIG_QUOTE + COMMENT?

As overlord of this territory please advise, does posting nothing but "Tane" dozens of times constitute shitposting or can we go hogwild?

As a prime shitposter, I must say, once again, if posting that "T" word means being a Goon, I will get my Goon card sent right back.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

If they steal from Final Fantasy, I guess that'd be more inspired than anything else they've done.

not really, that would be the second jrpg they've ripped off (that we know of)

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The only other people I can think of who are as unreservedly "themselves" on the Internet as Dr. Derek Smart are Donald Trump and Kanye West.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean basically this is going to be like Rise of the Robots mixed with whatever the worst FMV game you can imagine with a dash of 'ol wing commander

You invoked that which shall not be talked about , so it reminded me to ask

Whatever happened to the 10k idiots gave the gas giant known as Lesnick ?

Didn't he promise to live stream and painstainkinly document each step in the process to catalogue his junk boxes ?

Ayer typing that I had to add, it physically pains me to see that in writing

10 thousand dollars , while nothing in the grand scheme of the entire cig debacle , people gave this certified waste of air 10 thousand dollars , with which to buy literal garage

The planet really does need a good old world War to sort a few things out

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 22, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I guess I'll be on the lookout for the divorce thread then.

e:

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:laffo: @ PIPELINES

Like, you don't just turn a switch and the poo poo starts flowing. That's NOT how this works and it's one of the simplest things about this project that annoys me the most.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Nah, she'll probably just take up "tennis" and all will be well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

I'm not sure there's a big supply of divorce attorneys who accept jpegs in lieu of payment.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

orcinus posted:

The robot from CoD:IW, which literally has no face, has more character than anything CIG has produced thus far.
don't talk about my robo boyfriend ethan

dont even loving look at him

he's mine

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

FWIW MeLKoR I don't think either Beer or I are really interested in going all jackboot to keep this place "on topic", or at least I know I'm certainly not. If you've posted "Tane" a dozen or more posts in a row I'm probably gonna throw you a Sixer, but honestly this place is only ever on topic when there's a current CIG fuckup going on, and sort of functions like a general chat the rest of the time and I think that's both cool and good.

Works for me. Oh, SAMIZDATA FOR YOUR IDIOT KING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Derek irae, dies illa
Solvet this thread in favilla
Teste Seraph et Delora

Quantus tremor est futurus
Quando FactsAreUseless venturus
Doxxing stricte discussurus