Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I showed it in the video actually.

Just set a waypoint in Tacops. Then you can either fly there manually (good luck if it's far away) or have the auto-pilot do it. And if it's a distant point, it is intelligent enough to use hyperspace intelligently.

Just this week I added the ability for the ship's auto-pilot (AI powered) to use hyperspace to jump to a waypoint. This is in the 3.x engine build which is currently undergoing a major graphics upgrade for 2016 release.

Previously, since the entire game world is "real" space with no cheating, instancing, sharding or any of that crap, it would fly at top speed without using hyperspace. Considering that each of those "known space"* regions is over 1m km across, well, you'd be there awhile.

You can fly anywhere using real space. You only really need to use hyperjump for long distance travel. And even so, the world is still being updated in real-time. You can jump to any target, regardless of what it is. If you can select a target on radar, you can jump to it.

* If you go outside the Tacops grid, you're still in the world, but it's considered uncharged "null space". So I had placed a convenient jump anomaly in there to return to known space because people were getting lost.
Holy smokes it works. Just tried it. That was my biggest wanted feature.

How did you get that 3rd-person view of your own ship in hyperspace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

what is a pcgamesn

Usually I'd check the footer of a website to see if anyone big owns it but apparently the footer of this site has stage fright. It appears to be UK based gaming magazine that even people in the UK haven't heard of.

I guess that's why they're able to say SC looks like fart without worrying about losing any exclusives.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Just set a waypoint in Tacops. Then you can either fly there manually (good luck if it's far away) or have the auto-pilot do it. And if it's a distant point, it is intelligent enough to use hyperspace intelligently.

Just this week I added the ability for the ship's auto-pilot (AI powered) to use hyperspace to jump to a waypoint. This is in the 3.x engine build which is currently undergoing a major graphics upgrade for 2016 release.

Previously, since the entire game world is "real" space with no cheating, instancing, sharding or any of that crap, it would fly at top speed without using hyperspace. Considering that each of those "known space"* regions is over 1m km across, well, you'd be there awhile.

You can fly anywhere using real space. You only really need to use hyperjump for long distance travel. And even so, the world is still being updated in real-time. You can jump to any target, regardless of what it is. If you can select a target on radar, you can jump to it.

* If you go outside the Tacops grid, you're still in the world, but it's considered uncharged "null space". So I had placed a convenient jump anomaly in there to return to known space because people were getting lost.

Your steam info page needs an additional word.

"Line Of Defense is a sci-fi MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) in which thousands players across various servers, fight for the control of bases located on planets and in space."
should be "Line Of Defense is a sci-fi MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) in which thousands OF players across various servers, fight for the control of bases located on planets and in space."

Hey look, im an editor! i wonder if i could use this on my resume.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fuctifino posted:

Also, Ben said that Chris Roberts invented DLC.

It's always refreshing to watch the supposed saviours of PC gaming be so absolutely ignorant of PC gaming. After all, it's not as if the flight sim genre hadn't been doing what he's alluding to for 10–15 years by the time the WC1 mission packs came out… and unlike the mission packs, those could actually occasionally be downloaded.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Since I don't have access to that data, it didn't come from me. What I do know, and have mentioned, is that they have been flooded with returns and they're nitpicking who to refund depending on the amount. And our thought is that they're doing it this way in order to be able to say "they're doing refunds". Which of course doesn't help when people are publicly posting that they're not getting refunds, let alone meaningful responses.

Mr. Smart, have you ever received refund requests for your pieces of work? What is your policy on the matter?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

Since I don't have access to that data, it didn't come from me. What I do know, and have mentioned, is that they have been flooded with returns and they're nitpicking who to refund depending on the amount. And our thought is that they're doing it this way in order to be able to say "they're doing refunds". Which of course doesn't help when people are publicly posting that they're not getting refunds, let alone meaningful responses.

My refund was pretty hefty and I moved through the process as efficiently, or moreso really, than most people. Compounding that was my pledge history being insanely convoluted.

Furthermore I don't think they really cared if I stayed or if I left. For all my criticisms/visibility people they want to shut up they just ban, like Beer.

Meanwhile friends of mine who had far less at stake are ending up going through similar nonsense, or being fed partial refund offers, within the same general timeframe. Not to mention the weird sources of the differing refunds.

I feel like there's more at play than simple pledge amount. Given what I've seen posted here it almost seems like the different offices/caseworkers are almost on their own programs and there's a near complete lack of any real oversight beyond some general standing orders. Which would correlate with CIG's general level of communication professionalism, especially following their purges.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

I am not sure how mean goons are allowed to be (still a bit new here) but would it be inappropriate to reply to this guy's post with: "If Chris Roberts was actually a good manager and didn't let the game's scope get out of control it would have been released in 2014 and you could have played for a time with your father"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

RuckusRouser posted:

I am not sure how mean goons are allowed to be (still a bit new here) but would it be inappropriate to reply to this guy's post with: "If Chris Roberts was actually a good manager and didn't let the game's scope get out of control it would have been released in 2014 and you could have played for a time with your father"

I'm betting they'd get incredibly defensive about cr vision and dream and dad would be proud his son would get to play sc when it's released in all its glory

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Chris Roberts tells us what Star Citizen is:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Berious posted:

Dude thinks Arcanum was one of the best things ever he's beyond saving. That game shoehorned in the worst possible implementation of real time combat into an RPG that was clearly made for turn based because Diablo was popular. Also there was a brothel where you had sex with a sheep.

The Yakkety Sax real time combat was so hilarious and pointless, but Arcanum had a pretty awesome setting and was A Good Game.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

D_Smart posted:

Been lurking this trainwreck for a while and here's my "Don't want to read everything, catch me up" post:

What's with these periodic posts that look like they're for a different game? Is Smart using this thread to promote some other poo poo?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Budgie posted:

:lol:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

CasualMaleXL posted:

What's with these periodic posts that look like they're for a different game? Is Smart using this thread to promote some other poo poo?

Of course not he is merely using it as an example as to how game development should be done :v:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

RuckusRouser posted:

You can be as mean as you want to be. I like that response.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Budgie posted:

So many things can be shopped onto that board...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jst0rm posted:

Thank you for the warning. Myself and other goons would of no doubt dumped thousands into this without your important guidance.

Haha, yes, funny. My answer was aimed at someone apparently new to the SC situation and genuinely asking questions on the thread (Weird, i know) and not the regular wankers.

Fell free to spend at SC and laugh at us in 3 years if it turn out to be awesome.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

Holy smokes it works. Just tried it. That was my biggest wanted feature.

How did you get that 3rd-person view of your own ship in hyperspace?

F9. Then use the arrow keys to pan around, the home/end/pageUP/pageDown to zoom in/out etc

If you have a radar target, press F10 to view the target at its own location, then use the camera controls above

The game has an rear end-ton load of cameras. Check out the game commands (look in .\docs\ folder for the PDFs or press SHIFT+H or ALT+H)

Meanwhile, croberts is acting like they're building revolutionary tech. I try not to shame them; but seriously, I did all this stuff almost three decades ago. And it's all in my head.

ps: Did you buy the DLC? Because that new "jump to waypoint" feature doesn't work in the freeware version

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Your steam info page needs an additional word.

"Line Of Defense is a sci-fi MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) in which thousands players across various servers, fight for the control of bases located on planets and in space."
should be "Line Of Defense is a sci-fi MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) in which thousands OF players across various servers, fight for the control of bases located on planets and in space."

Hey look, im an editor! i wonder if i could use this on my resume.

Thanks. Fixed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RuckusRouser posted:

Well, there was that time when an rear end-clown in a wheelchair was doing stupid poo poo and caught my attention. So yeah, anything goes. These extremist White Knight assholes don't deserve the luxury of compassion. I mean seriously, they're parked in a sub-Reddit that serves no purpose other than to attack me. That's like saying we should take a day off from bombing ISIS because the leader's father got his head blown off.

So no, have at it. They're hosed anyway; so what's a few words gonna do?

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

D_Smart posted:

Good idea.

Jesus loving Christ. Seriously? You never thought of that? The great developer, who definitely knows what he's doing, Derek Smart.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gryphon0468 posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Seriously? You never thought of that? The great developer, who definitely knows what he's doing, Derek Smart.

You. You are literally the guy who bitches at translators for translating "wrong" when you see something that isn't glorious nihongo in your loving weeaboo subtitles, nevermind that your command of japanese is literally 0. YOU are the guy who asks IT where the "any" button is, and then bitches that they are incompetent.

gently caress you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

As CIG have discovered quitting isn't something Derek normally considers.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Gryphon0468 posted:

Please stay for a while and ideally have a meltdown.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

As CIG have discovered quitting isn't something Derek normally considers.

:gary: :supaburn: :yarg:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gryphon0468 posted:

Why are you being so mean to my dad?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Mike Meaden (Cloud Imperium Games)

Nov 9, 11:50
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for your support request.

We would like to alert you to the fact that we are currently experiencing an unusually high load of tickets causing severe delays in getting replies out to you.

Please rest assured that we have your ticket and will get to you as quickly as is humanly possible.

Your patience and understanding with us during this busy time is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games (Cloud Imperium Games)

Nov 23, 18:15

Hi there,

Hope you had a great weekend. We are experiencing high ticket volume but rest assured your ticket is in the queue and will be answered by one of our agents as soon as possible.
We thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

CIG Customer Service Team

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games (Cloud Imperium Games)

Dec 5, 00:07

Hi there,
We are experiencing high ticket volume but rest assured your ticket is in the queue and will be answered by one of our agents as soon as possible.
We thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
CIG Customer Service Team

A month.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
You should remind them how much their stupid Restoration Hardware furniture costs, and if they bought their poo poo at Ikea like most startup companies, they could afford to pay for more CS reps.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Given the number of people that have left, how probable is it that no one left at CIG actually knows how the game works?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Having trendy furniture is key to impressing big-name Hollywood producers, and knowing you contributed to an excellent performance in films like The Eighth House is more satisfying than a refund imo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CasualMaleXL posted:

He's been doing it since day one Absolutely not.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yeah, Derek Smart is the worst developer in the world because he takes constructive criticism and then uses it to improve his product. How awful of him.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

Beet Wagon posted:

He's been doing it since day one Absolutely not.

COOL. Only just noticed after skipping past a bunch of patch notes looking posts. Nothing makes your space sim look better than a thread mocking a bad space sim project, I guess? Either way it feels more off topic than the recipes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Chocobo posted:

A month.

The only way you're going to get your request taken care of is to begin chargeback proceedings.

For me, I copy/pasted the specific transaction receipt, and made it clear who it was with, and that I had a chain of emails showing CIG actively ignoring open issues. (Especially since the auto-replies were referencing a ticket that was in progress and not waiting in line to be answered).

I had the answer and refund within days.

They are expecting people to be passive about it, and even now just saying "if you don't I'm gonna call my bank!" won't work. You need to follow through- no bullshitting.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Star citizen drama has been compared to isis.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

Star citizen drama has been compared to isis.

Chris Roberts al-Hollywoodi

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Also, Ben said that Chris Roberts invented DLC.

Then Chis Roberts is not the saviour of PC gaming, in fact he is the scourge because right now dlc is the plague of pc gaming

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

EminusSleepus posted:

Then Chis Roberts is not the saviour of PC gaming, in fact he is the scourge because right now dlc is the plague of pc gaming

No, thats console gaming. Or was it Ubisoft? Any big publisher? Women? Hygene? Honestly I have no loving clue, what do those people think PC gaming needs to be saved from? :shrug:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Quality is not very good, but I made you a video. This is showing tech that I developed back in the nineties and which is currently on which UCCE v2.0 (free on Steam) is based.

https://vimeo.com/147947830

The quality is not very good (the original was about 3.5GB and I didn't have time to mess with Handbrake settings), but you should get the gist of it in terms of scale, real-time and hyperjump travel, seamless space/planetary (not some fake sphere) etc.

And yeah, though not shown in the video, you can also EVA from your ship. In space. And fly around with a weapon. Walk around on top of your ship, station etc.

You know, I watched this- and it's interesting how the people who bag on you the most tend to go after your games, when they are surprisingly similar to Star Citizen in their ambition and scope. From the video, it seems like with all the stability concerns out of the way, the UI is the major thing holding it back. It feels kind of dwarf fortressy- like there's a whole world of stuff being simulated under the hood, but the game doesn't really have a great method of displaying it to the player (or to give them a way to affect it meaningfully). I feel like if you took an engine like this, narrowed down the range of information presented to something that the player could meaningfully understand and base decisions on, and gave it a bit of a visual pass, it'd be quite popular.

Beyond that it seems like the greatest difference is that Star Citizen is trying to represent the player's first-person perspective at all times. Other space sims have let you go to first-person some of the time, but SC is the first one (that I know of) that uses it exclusively at all times. I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing, but I suspect it is what makes a lot of the technical challenges significantly worse. At the same time it also makes the sense of scale much more apparent when doing something like running around on a ship or station. It's an interesting design choice.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

F9. Then use the arrow keys to pan around, the home/end/pageUP/pageDown to zoom in/out etc

If you have a radar target, press F10 to view the target at its own location, then use the camera controls above

The game has an rear end-ton load of cameras. Check out the game commands (look in .\docs\ folder for the PDFs or press SHIFT+H or ALT+H)

Meanwhile, croberts is acting like they're building revolutionary tech. I try not to shame them; but seriously, I did all this stuff almost three decades ago. And it's all in my head.

ps: Did you buy the DLC? Because that new "jump to waypoint" feature doesn't work in the freeware version
Hmm. It might be a bug. Hitting F9 and going into 3rd person and *then* jumping into hyperspace takes me out of 3rd person and back into 1st (but no HUD, though I can toggle it back with F1), and hitting F9 while in hyperspace also takes me to a view that's similar to hitting F3 (it's at a slightly different angle, but basically the same view -- maybe my ship is just invisible?). However, F10 seems to work fine for radar targets in hyperspace.

In your video, it looks like you're watching your ship as it blasts through the system at hyperspeed. That's cool as hell.

I have the DLC.

Yeah, I like 90s games and never played any of yours back in the day, and this thread got me interested. It really is a huge, underrated game for its time. The look and the UI will turn people off but whatever. I've just been tinkering around with it in roam mode, learning systems, etc. And ... it's hard. But that's the point. Enemy boarding parties will sabotage your ship, then steal a shuttlecraft and make a getaway. You'll win a battle only to come out of it shot to hell and drifting while on fire.

Edit:

Ah, it kinda looks like this. I skipped ahead to when he goes into hyperspace. But I'll try to upload a video of my own later and will post it here. (Also Lazy Chan's videos are good tutorials for the basics.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6utp9H55TA&t=494s

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Multiplayer aside is it really technologically more difficult to have a player fly a space ship and then get out and paaarp around in zero G than it is to have a player drive a car and then get out and run around a city? You know like GTA3 did in 2001? EVA seems to be the big thing when it comes to people claiming that SC is some impressive leap forward in game design but I don't understand why that is.

I don't even see how this glitchy mess shows promise or represents a solid foundation on which a good game can be built. The difficulty in simulating a universe should not be in wrangling your mutant FPS engine to do basic space game things without crashing, and yet that's where CIG is after four years.

• Locked thread