Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I created a new account but still can't get it to work. Getting a "Something has gone wrong" or directed to the forums index

Oh well

They can smell a goon a parsec away so tough luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/303037/fears-of-mob-censorship-via-heckler-s-veto/p1

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Emails announcing that the PTU was available to everyone didn't go out until days after, December 15. Coincidentally the release date of Elite: Dangerous Horizons. Classy, CIG.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Emails announcing that the PTU was available to everyone didn't go out until days after, December 15. Coincidentally the release date of Elite: Dangerous Horizons. Classy, CIG.

and just like last time they tried to upstage E:D, they are failing

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Wait, no, it's still funny.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Verus posted:

:shrug: Delivery guy never showed up. I even checked the parking lot after it was five minutes late. No one ever buzzed in on the intercom and there was no response on the number you gave me.

I assumed the joke was that the pizza, like Star Citizen, was never going to be released. So I made fruit salad and went to bed.

You should demand a refund.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I wonder if they will stick to having that star citizen starter package only for real money purchase

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

E:D - releases planetary landing / stuff

SC - announces it

checkmate E:D :downs:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

CrazyLoon posted:

Always count on Discoleak to give up the goods to us!

Not Joking he will have received an epic bollocking for that . I reckon that today will see a few 'Stuff of legend' rants from the great man himself to various underlings, maybe some linked in status will change before Christmas, lets face it CR made a massive C*nt of himself live in front of the church and personally made his own his game look like a buggy pile of dog vomit. It wont effect production though because anyone that you actually see in the vids is utterly surplus to requirement. Its like LCN, the most successful crooks are never on the front of the NY times.
When they shove some oxygen thief in front of the camera to gurn and spout poo poo, who gives a gently caress if they get fired, doesn't affect development. The key guys are well protected from all this stuff, by key guys I man the coders the level scripters and the artists.
That homeless gently caress dressed as Santa just adds to the comedy for the likes of us.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Was your account probated?

Shipyard content is backer only.

I don't think so, I literally just registered it :shrug:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

PerilPastry posted:

Speaking of which. Did they seriously detach the arm rests so Ben would be able to sit down?

No, its still there, but I still can't figure out how he sits his arms like this.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I remember when people used to get annoyed or deny it when stuff like this got pointed out. Funny how things have changed with time.

spacetoaster posted:

You should demand a refund.

Chargeback!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

redwalrus posted:

No, its still there, but I still can't figure out how he sits his arms like this.

It was the first chair he ever sat on at CIG and he couldn't get out of it again so it just goes with him. He's moved around the country twice with that office chair stuck to his arse.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think so, I literally just registered it :shrug:

Did you put money on the account? If not that's why.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's breathtaking. I've just never seen this dumb of a demographic outside of mobile and facebook games. I mean they're not even getting a game here, they're getting a fantasy of getting a game. Sociologists should start researching this insanity because it's some kind of thing.

President Donald Trump.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen: Something has gone wrong

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

For all the bitching, I honestly felt the Chris playing 2.0live part of the stream was kinda charming/endearing.

ITT People trying to explain away Chris' terribleness at this own game.

Another!

CR Live Demo: What were you thinking, CIG?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

These loving cretins are so deep into this shitshow the Crobber could come round their house and kick their dog to death and they'd find a way to explain that actually he's an animal lover not a deranged psychotic.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oh god I just watched it again and even in the pre-rendered zoom-out video they first showed, the transition from the handcrafted Nix assets to the awful noise map procedural terrain is so clear it's painful.
They have nothing for this right now. The guys in the Frankfurt studio are either laughing their asses off that the head of the company just got his 100,000+ stooges to believe they're going to be flying around realistic planetary terrain in a month or so, from a little tech demo they whipped up in a week or two, or they're now terrified of being sent anthrax by the rabid fanbase when this thing falls apart in 9 months after the space-planet transitions still haven't been released.

Also to anyone who thinks the in-editor Cutlass flight from space to planet looked weird, it's because the 'planet' is actually a moon which is only 1000km diameter. In other words less than a third as large as our own moon. Which has no atmosphere. So when you see the Cutlass travelling at 2000m/s down to the surface, it's all scaled fine, it's just that the thing itself is ridiculously small and so the fact that it has a thick atmosphere makes it look completely unreal.
...and of course (as they said) they haven't worked out any of the gameplay aspects of the orbit-->landing bit, and there's no gravity or anything right now.

e: No, how you stage manage your loving livestream is you have earpieces for your presenters/incompetent director on-camera, so you can actually tell them they're live without having to yell and throw stuff at them so they stop telling the whole world their Skype password.

CRoberts vs. Smart: let this mad battle of delusional visionaries continue until the end of time, please.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

EightAce posted:

When they shove some oxygen thief in front of the camera to gurn and spout poo poo, who gives a gently caress if they get fired, doesn't affect development. The key guys are well protected from all this stuff, by key guys I man the coders the level scripters and the artists.

First- I love your way with words here.

Second- they're not all that protected. They've rotated through just as many lead devs as they have "Personalities" in front of the camera.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
That Pupil to Planet thing is one tragically hilarious attempt to upstage ED's own little video they made during beta testing with the debug camera. No fancy polish or syncing up animations just "hey I zoomed out when mucking around and this looked really cool, so we showed it off."

You have to understand that Cryengne basically runs off creating a landscape via heightmap where you then add in prefab components to create rooms and so forth. It was coded for a tech demo for Nvidia and then expanded into a game. Large voxel landscapes full of procedurally generated trees is a pretty old trick in the book.

It's meant for fancy landscapes nothing more. Its causing so many issues as deep inside the game wants you to stick to a flat surface. It's not coping well trying to pretend it's in space. It's likely why the physics are breaking as they push game objects out of their expected physic rules and it tries to reset things.

The 64 bit thing is them attempting to smooth over any gaps in the calculations but this will just slow everything down as the CPU overhead increases.

Reading up I've discovered that modders have actually played around with using Cryengine to create planets that you can fly off into space with, but hit brick walls.

quote:

All you need is to do is create a spherical terrain as a model not terrain with a 3d modelling software. fix a gravity sphere in the exact centre, be sure to negative the gravity on all the axis like so
y -10
x -10
z -10
I'm sure this method can work with water, or props, vegetation, ect but it will all have to be 3d models (cryteck geometry file, cgf)
Though there is one problem, when going to 3rd person view, for vehicles and first person, the camera will stay oriented to the flat default world.

And from someone who's attempted a Kerbal inspired mod and actually got the ability to fly off a planet.

quote:

My custom code allows the player to quite naturally walk on the terrain even if it's tipped at, say, 45 degrees. When you blast off into space the terrain fades to invisibility and the objects switch off so you then see the planet as a sphere.

In the screen shots Earth is built out of multiple sections and its diameter is 40 km. The code scales all planets dynamically so they always have the correct apparent sizes.

But here's the problem. I would like to have normal AI characters and vehicles working on the terrain, even if it's tipped at 45 degrees. I found that gravity volumes can be used. They create the correct forces so, for example, AI character fall at right angles to the terrain. The problem is that their stance is still tied to the normal Sandbox normal, so they look completely wrong. Somehow the AI characters and vehicles have to 'know' the direction of gravity.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 17, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Citizen posted:

We did, but when you KNOW you have an army of detractors and haters out there just waiting for you to make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing, what you don't do is give them a perfect example.

This felt like they had about 8 things they knew they wanted to show and they Add-Libbed the majority of the production. There were barely any two transitions where the video and audio got cut correctly, and despite knowing the stream was live, Sandi had to keep gently reminding people to be quiet on set. I know they're professional games producers not TV producers, but even something as simple as having the person in the mixing booth with their phone tuned to the stream and one of their headphone buds in would have caught the majority of the slip ups.
If they can't get the cutting and mixing done right, maybe they should cut down the complexity and make it all from one moving camera with a mini-boom on the front of it so they don't have to worry about cutting between 10 cameras and 12 mics.

Like I say, they should have had a Running List with what camera numbers and what Mic numbers are being used in that segment to at the very least reduce the possible mistakes to "oh that's not the best viewing angle". Rather than that, we have Chris and Sandi and Ben all trying to talk over each other for 30 seconds (which felt like 15 minutes it was so horrifying) when they don't have a "this is what we do if something breaks" back up plan.

I'm sorry. I know it's heat of the moment stuff, but they really need to either simplify the stream so less stuff can go wrong, or watch this stream over and over and learn from what they messed up. They can't keep doing this with the audience getting bigger each year the way it is.

The facade slipped a little yesterday, I think. Not to worry though, they won't be in front of a live camera again for almost a full year, if they make it that long.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anyone who watched CRoberts hold a game gamepad like an old lady and completely fail at his own game and also believes he could have made it out of the asylum in Dark Souls (or has ever even launched the game) should contact me quickly about a bridge I have a great price on.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

The cognitive dissonance is wonderful

Shitizens: "we're investors" :circlefap:

Croberts: let me show you the product your money has made :gary: :barf: :wtc: :flaccid: :negative: :yarg:

Shitizens: :crossarms: :kingsley: :downsbravo: oh yes :a2m: that was some broken, endearing amazing poo poo :shrek:
croberts use my money for your cars and furniture and keep giving me trash in return :swoon: :worship:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Christ Roberts trying to play his game is the saddest thing I've ever watched. It just boggles my mind that people have any confidence in this man, or this game.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

Christ Roberts trying to play his game is the saddest thing I've ever watched. It just boggles my mind that people have any confidence in this man, or this game.

I had confidence in the people he chased off.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I imagine that no fan of Star Citizen enjoyed the stream more than Wingman.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

PerilPastry posted:

Speaking of which. Did they seriously detach the arm rests so Ben would be able to sit down?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

This is the difference between Braben's philosophy of game development and Roberts', and yesterday, Chris was eager to again attempt to upstage the leaner, more efficient and functionally stronger Elite-- so he got some new synthol injections and started flexing his bulbous arms shouting, "Check out THESE guns!"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

El Grillo posted:

Oh god I just watched it again and even in the pre-rendered zoom-out video they first showed, the transition from the handcrafted Nix assets to the awful noise map procedural terrain is so clear it's painful.
They have nothing for this right now. The guys in the Frankfurt studio are either laughing their asses off that the head of the company just got his 100,000+ stooges to believe they're going to be flying around realistic planetary terrain in a month or so, from a little tech demo they whipped up in a week or two, or they're now terrified of being sent anthrax by the rabid fanbase when this thing falls apart in 9 months after the space-planet transitions still haven't been released.

Also to anyone who thinks the in-editor Cutlass flight from space to planet looked weird, it's because the 'planet' is actually a moon which is only 1000km diameter. In other words less than a third as large as our own moon. Which has no atmosphere. So when you see the Cutlass travelling at 2000m/s down to the surface, it's all scaled fine, it's just that the thing itself is ridiculously small and so the fact that it has a thick atmosphere makes it look completely unreal.
...and of course (as they said) they haven't worked out any of the gameplay aspects of the orbit-->landing bit, and there's no gravity or anything right now.

e:

No, how you stage manage your loving livestream is you have earpieces for your presenters/incompetent director on-camera, so you can actually tell them they're live without having to yell and throw stuff at them so they stop telling the whole world their Skype password.

CRoberts vs. Smart: let this mad battle of delusional visionaries continue until the end of time, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

Is that what I'm seeing at 0:52, with a distinct difference between the quality of the bespoke assets and the procedural stuff? It really is rather jarring.

Bootcha posted:

I had confidence in the people he chased off.

Yeah that's one of the more damning aspects of this entire fiasco.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

If "charming/endearing" is the best thing you can say about the guy in charge of a project that has 100 million bucks pumped into it, then you've got some serious problems. Fortunately when one of your other serious problems is a serious cognitive dissonance between what is happening and what you're seeing then having a bumbling, muttering, increasingly frustrated man cursing his way through his own game's alpha that is failing to function properly in spite of it apparently being available for the public to test is just a sign that everything is on track.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

I imagine that no fan of Star Citizen enjoyed the stream more than Wingman.

I don't think he even cares. He has a game that he's actually working on.

I almost forgot how much more awesome he is to watch and listen to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltS780Gyac

Too bad CIG can't get someone with half that charisma to put in front of a camera.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

[–]Textor44High Admiral 21 Punkte vor 17 Stunden

I find their amateurish way of running live streams charming, personally. They'd be much more boring if they ran it all perfect! Plus we got to see IT in action!

"This meal is literally poo poo, how wonderful! That way we dont have to eat so much and spend more time vomiting, thats a milestone!"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
s the game worth downloading yet

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Too bad CIG can't get someone with half that charisma to put in front of a camera.
Too much of a threat to Sandi.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227

Accounts are now just over 3 months overdue.

But remember all the money goes into development. Apart from a bit that's going on HMRC fines.

I'm gonna click the 'File for this company' button and send them a picture of a spaceship.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

[–]Durkbeef 1 Punkt vor 17 Stunden

So cringey. This whole thing has been a mess.

quote:

[–]Oddzball 7 Punkte vor 17 Stunden

Please, the vast majority of the stream was fine. better then 90% of the swill half those "famous" youtubers" put out.

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]CymelionVice Admiral 11 Punkte vor 17 Stunden

This is how the Sausage gets made - time some people learned that.

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]Alysianah 1 Punkt vor 15 Stunden

But not usually made on the street with people watchin. LOL

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]CymelionVice Admiral 1 Punkt vor 15 Stunden

Yes and no - you know what that never hurts - sometimes peoples eyes need to be opened - sure the sausage might look nice in its Styrofoam tray and plastic wrap. But now they get to see those nice pleasant media events aren't as spontaneous as they thought

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]Alysianah 1 Punkt vor 15 Stunden

And they need to do that how many times? Sorry, can't buy it because this isn't the first time. Love CIG however, the live demonstrations need to mature if they're going to continue doing them. Like the dates they give, I think they are so optimistic that everything will go to plan there's very little risk/contingency/bullet proofing the planned live content.

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]CymelionVice Admiral 1 Punkt vor 15 Stunden

Yes and no - I reckon the presentations would just feel so cold and disingenuous if they weren't this unpolished mess.

I prefer CIG to speak through their work and not their presentations.

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]Alysianah 1 Punkt vor 14 Stunden

You can be genuine and have demos that work. They're not mutually exclusive.

PermalinkÜbergeordnet

quote:

[–]CymelionVice Admiral 1 Punkt vor 14 Stunden

Of course you can - but if they haven't managed by now in its 3rd year I just accept it's CIG's way - complaining has changed them.

Not a cult of deniers, no sir, not at all sir.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What happened with Wingman? I saw the forum screenshots where they lied about his absence, and Sandi taking over his role, but what was the full story with him?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Not a cult of deniers, no sir, not at all sir.

fuctifino posted:

What happened with Wingman? I saw the forum screenshots where they lied about his absence, and Sandi taking over his role, but what was the full story with him?

http://descendentstudios.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

spacetoaster posted:

I don't think he even cares. He has a game that he's actually working on.

I almost forgot how much more awesome he is to watch and listen to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltS780Gyac

Less sitting in his underwear spitting poo poo over twitter and referring to his blog than being extraordinarily satisfied with jumping out to build his own game and resume his own preferred brand of communicating with his fanbase rather than fighting to bring the HMS Star Citizen home/not be thrown overboard.

Also man WMH was really good for the game. Skip to 7:46, what a good and smart thing to do.

• Locked thread