Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Maldoror posted:

Pledge $20 or more

This is the same as the two previous rewards, but it will be me giving you the finger and you will be presented with 30+ megapixel files, both jpeg and raw, from a fancy Sony DSLR.

Estimated delivery: Jan 2016

As no Sony DSLRs are capable of 30+ megapixels, I will work with Dr. Derek Smart, Ph.D. to expose this obvious scam!

Mirrorless doesn't count.

Nomenclature fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Per this week's ATV Ship Shape:
Chris Smith has been working on the Constellation... since loving February! You could make a human being in the same amount of time it took them to re-work one ship!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Loiosh posted:

Games with large complex ship designs tend to take months to make a delivery. A battleship in World of Warships (just as an example) takes around six months on average, with the more complex ones (Tipitz) taking up to a year.
There's a pretty big difference between a loving battleship and an already mostly designed ship with four rooms!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Can we just listen to Tony Z and the rest of these guys for the remaining three hours instead of having to go back to Ben/Sandi/Chris?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Cut to chat screen - first line: "As cringy as ever"

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

G0RF posted:

So I guess the "big reveal" so far is just talking head footage of Pajama Skywalker? Stuff they kept in reserve from months ago?
It's that Mark Hamill is able to take a POS script and no direction and still be awesome despite them.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Libluini posted:

Why would someone go through the effort of studying marine biology and then end up in acting? That's a really weird dead end she has chosen for herself.
When people say "you don't go into science for the money," they don't mean "you will have to settle for an upper middle-class lifestyle," they mean "you will probably spend most of your life on the edge of poverty." In my high cost of living state, full-time state university instructors earn about $23,000 per year, and that's about what they could expect to get elsewhere. And in my field (which has both clinical and research jobs, better than fields like marine biology which have very few "for-profit" jobs), I see about 100 students graduate from my institution every year, but at most 1-2 getting jobs related to it.

So, it is absolutely plausible that Sandi got a B.A. in Marine Biology, then couldn't find any jobs with it, and chose to abandon it rather than spend another 6+ years as a graduate student with an equally bleak employment outlook.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Ravane posted:

What the gently caress is a Butterfly stroke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_stroke

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you forget a number there? Because I'm having a hard time believing you live in a state where a university professor makes less than a public school teacher. No, 23k a year isn't what professors expect to get elsewhere and 23k is what a grad student doing lab work is probably going to make.
Tenured professors (and for that matter, tenure-track professors) and instructors/lecturers are completely different things. Professors can make whatever they negotiate for. Hell, there is a post-doc making $80,000/year in my department because of the grants she brings in.

But if you figure that during a tenured professor's career, about 3,000 to 5,000 undergrads will get degrees from my department, you can see that the ratio of tenured job openings to students with B.A./B.S. degrees isn't in favor of graduates looking for tenured jobs.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Aurra posted:

I got banned from the stream chat for asking if the stream is going to get delayed like everything else regarding Star Citizen. :smith:
Why ask when you already know the answer?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Fanfare for the Common Man rip-off music?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Pretty big price difference between that desk and that table...

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

The French Army! posted:

How the hell is this thread still averaging like 500+ posts a day?
100% of it is shitposts.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Kakarot posted:

Can someone tell me what Crusader is?
Tony Z's baby: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader:_No_Remorse

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

At least this character model looks kind of like John Rhys-Davies!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

What's my password again?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

"[My game] has the most awkward, ugly, unusable interface I've ever seen."
-Chris Roberts, 12/16/15

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Crash Roberts!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Revolutionary feature that Space Engineers already has - confirmed!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Mirificus posted:

Why is this happening when Sandi is supposed to be amazing at marketing?
That's her dirty little secret - she's actually horrible at marketing, but an amazingly qualified marine biologist.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

From Sandi's Facebook:

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

The "in atmosphere flight" looks identical to spaceflight. Does this really add anything more to the gameplay except a slightly different background behind the UI? I mean there isn't any point to exploring the planet or even buggies to drive around on the surface is there?
That "planet" is less than 1/3rd of the diameter of the moon, so it isn't large enough to hold an atmosphere. Such realism!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

That's the other thing, they claim the ships move like poo poo because of all these problems with thruster placement but not even NASA could make the Scythe fly. Just look at that poo poo, there is no way on god's green earth that ship's mass and thrusters are being modeled.

:cmon:
I am pretty sure that the CIG physics guy already said in an ATV interview (or something like that) that the Scythe "cheats" by having symmetrical mass as far as the physics engine is concerned.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

"Hey, remember when WOW had a bug that broke the game for everyone? Can you implement the same thing, except that it happens more than once and call it a feature?"

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

One quick question, how is that supposed to land?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdjDhY_X4FI

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

G0RF posted:

... and their as-yet-unsecured expanded class of goods filing...

Star Citizen roller skates confirmed.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC heat dissipation in space is actually an issue.
Regardless of how much heat is being dissipated, having more barrels means that for a given number of shots fired, each barrel of a multi-barreled gun will accumulate less heat than a single barrel firing the same number of shots, so having a multi-barreled space gun might be useful.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Have these people who want 25 people on a ship never done a raid in an MMO?
They are in for a shock
I know MMO people here are making raids out to be a clusterfuck, but in Planetside 2, Goons used to organize two full platoons (32 people per platoon) for alerts without much of a problem. And that is in a game with combined arms air, armor, and infantry combat. So 25 people isn't a problem if you have your voice comms worked out.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Wait, am I just noticing this? 'Suggested' pledge? Could I pay a dollar for this thing?
You can pledge $5 for a skin and become a backer. But then you still have to buy the game at full price, so they "suggest" you pledge more.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

Surely he didn't shoot the bacon. The sensible method would be to lay the bacon over the barrel and then fire on full auto so it heats up.
It's not a new idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PastmpZnShQ

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Apparently, Ben Lesnick did the EVA mo-cap:
https://gfycat.com/HarmfulLameDeer

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318800/drake-interplanetary-buccaneer-reference-images#latest

CIG has decided to push forward with the Buccaneer, releasing another piece of concept art to give pirate players the dogfighter that the Cutlass was supposed to be.
Wasn't the Cutlass originally supposed to have an interior? I think the description when I first saw it was "...it has the appearance of a military fighter, but mated to an awkwardly larger hull for collecting loot." This just looks like they want to sell a ship that is essentially a Gladius, but shittier.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Here is a laser cutting steel plate. Observe how it isn't MOUNTED ON A BATTLESHIP.

http://youtu.be/wGcJE8YJl-M
Not a great example. Here's a 5-axis water jet CNC, which is also not MOUNTED ON A BATTLESHIP despite using accelerated mass to cut stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsoC3i7JYc

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Breaking News: Sandi is now in charge of developing the flight physics model:

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

The subscriber edition RTV with Chris Roberts has started: https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

GabrielMobius posted:

Well allegedly with Chris. He's not there, I assume (again) that he's doing a line pre-show.
He claims he was "showering!"

edit: Persistence planned for 2.4

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

I guess Sandi was feeling left out with the attention being on other people, so she felt the need to post a "behind the scenes" photo of the RTV on Facebook:

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

So, their next generation netcode will only need to send changed states as opposed to re-sending everything over the network. Too bad they can't use similar technology to break up the game pak files and get the patch sizes down below 20 GB.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Will they dare to tell Chris to stop hitting the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

So, show of hands: Who thought that, of the three people at that table, Chris would be the one to have a chair collapse under him?

(@ 1:14:55 here: https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/57613549 )

• Locked thread