Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kavros posted:

I'd like to hear more about both of these individual things.

Ascendant Pictures (Roberts' movie production company) was producing a comedy and allegedly had an oral agreement with Kevin Costner to play the lead, and when the company ran into money problems, they claimed there was never an agreement and Costner was full of poo poo. The movie was never made. I don't know what came of the lawsuit Costner filed against Ascendant.

As for the Microsoft thing, Digital Anvil ran out of money during the production of Freelancer because Roberts couldn't manage the scope creep (he basically wanted the whole persistent universe thing promised with Star Citizen and tried developing it fifteen years ago), and he had to sell the entire company to Microsoft in order to keep the doors open. (The complete and utter failure of the Wing Commander movie didn't help Digital Anvil's finances.) Microsoft assigned a producer to the project, who quickly realized that Roberts' vision was complete fantasy and began ordering cuts to features so that the goddamn thing could finally get out the door, and Roberts walked with his buyout money rather than have to answer to THE EVIL PUBLISHER.

And that's Roberts' MO -- he hates being told what to do. You see that in the massive, embarrassing letter he wrote in response to Smart and the criticism, saying that EA had approached him multiple times about rebooting Wing Commander and he always turned them down because he'd never work for a publisher again, despite the fact that it's known the game began life as an unlicensed reboot, all the early concept art was just slightly updated Wing Commander designs right down to having the artists sketch out loving Kilrathi, the announcement video for the fundraiser was Wing Commander down to the point of using the WC3 uniforms, and ex-CIG employees have said that in the early days of the Kickstarter / campaign Roberts was still talking to EA about getting the license once the money started flying in from every side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aleksendr posted:

Sadly, most Sci-Fi movie use that road since it make the face of the actor (the very face selling your movie and the story to the public) light up for your viewing pleasure.

2 hours of people in cockpit looking like this :

Make the story hard to follow.

If i have any beef with SC helmet design is the lack of peripheral vision. Any commander would probably have one custom made without the huge side blinder after surviving his/her first tour of duty.

So, basically, this:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Reminder that this is coming from the guy who wrote Wing Commander, where the characters ranged from completely bland to unintentionally aggravating.

The best part is that Wing Commander II, III and IV, the games that everyone points to as Roberts' achievements as a storyteller, weren't even written by him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blazing Ownager posted:

No, III was. You mean II, IV, and Privateer.

Roberts has a story credit on III but two other dudes (the same guys who wrote WC4) wrote the actual script of III.

quote:

ED: Also Erin Roberts is pretty much a hack. Chris Roberts has a lot of good ideas, but Erin does not, and he tends to hurt anything he gets his hands on.

Erin Roberts is the only reason Strike Commander and the first Privateer made it out the door.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm trying to think who the Football equivalent of Chris-R is, but my sports IQ is pretty poor.

Scams people out of millions of dollars, mis-manages the entire organization, can't deliver a product worth a poo poo?

Jimmy Haslam.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen: Play the game and have fun, who cares if its released or not.

I had a guaranteed military sale with ED-209. Renovation program. Spare parts for 26 years. Who cares if it worked or not?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skellybones posted:

Holy gently caress

If you look at Lesnick from the Star Citizen announcement event back in 2012:

He seriously looks like he's putting on 40 pounds a year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part is that at the same time Lesnick was bitching about Smart, he was being a dick to WC modders by withholding assets from people he didn't like.

A few years later, he was banning people who dared to say that Wing Commander Arena sucked.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BattleMaster posted:

like seriously, how could anyone like the wing commander movie enough to wear the pilgrim's cross from it?

I'm pretty sure saying the movie sucks is still pretty much an autoban on the CIC forums.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

also I'm amazed the neogaf thread is still so positive about SC

Any negativity gets shouted down pretty quickly on Ars, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't think I've witnessed a better fall from grace and into "bitter as gently caress" as Bee4TheBeerGod in these threads.

Like I've said before, Lesnick is just hilariously incompetent as a "community" manager, and has been for years. Before he handed over the day-to-day running of the CIC to ... I think ChrisReid, bagging on the Wing Commander movie, Wing Commander Arena, or basically any other WC game that wasn't WC4 (because he hated what they did with Tolwyn in that one, so it was fair game), was grounds for a ban. poo poo, he'd argue for days with people who insisted that there's literally no evidence that Privateer 2 was designed as a Wing Commander game (The Darkness and Privateer 2 were merged about halfway through development). He developed a cult of personality around himself in the WC fan circles, which explains why he immediately bought into Roberts' Ponzi scheme.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ben Lesnick is a producer now.

No loving way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bubbacub posted:

This is so loving sad.

When Star Citizen was announced, I was happy for LOAF, since he had been the torch-bearer of the Wing Commander community for so long. But holy god, he's just failed upward.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sunswipe posted:

gloating over a rival WC fan dying

Wait, what? The only notable WC fan's passing I can think of was Eagle-1, and the CIC gave him a pretty nice tribute (despite LOAF flat-out hating the guy). Don't get me wrong, Lesnick is a shitlord, but let's not accuse him of things that never happened.

Edit: Holy moly, just visited the CIC forums for the first time in years and so, so many people from the old #wing-commander IRC chat are banned. Jesus.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A post from Ars:

quote:

It's obvious that the scale is a big reason development is taking so much longer than planned.
They've had to redo large parts of the netcode, item/entity management and the whole 64bit position thing as well as parts of the rendering pipeline.
And while they've proven that they can deliver such rewrites they aren't done yet.
Any timeframe will be highly speculative until they have those figures out.

Yes, the ~netcode~ is why nothing works. :laffo:

• Locked thread