Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Will an SC collapse show the upper limit of crowdfunding? The lesson we could all learn is where a crowdfunded thing needs to become a publicly traded company that has transparency, accountability and accounting well established and standardized.

I think it's pretty well understood that where there is opportunity for white-collar fraud and embezzlement, there is usually fraud and embezzlement. As the amount of money we give to the unaccountable agent goes up, so does the benefit for him to just rob us. I think there is a certain dollar amount where any of us would just say 'gently caress it' and steal it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Polish Avenger posted:

Will an SC collapse show the upper limit of crowdfunding? The lesson we could all learn is where a crowdfunded thing needs to become a publicly traded company that has transparency, accountability and accounting well established and standardized.

I think it's pretty well understood that where there is opportunity for white-collar fraud and embezzlement, there is usually fraud and embezzlement. As the amount of money we give to the unaccountable agent goes up, so does the benefit for him to just rob us. I think there is a certain dollar amount where any of us would just say 'gently caress it' and steal it all.

SirPhoebos posted:

While crowdfunding needs some regulation, holding it to the same standard as publicly traded companies would probably be too costly for the vast majority of CF projects. Especially in countries (like the U.S.) that require public companies to have I.C. audits.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a size limit for things like Star Citizen that would either force it to be a publicly traded corporation or enforce similar accounting standards and transparency.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Mirificus posted:

There's already a lot of in-fighting over the conflicting visions of the backers. It will only get worse as the game becomes more concrete.

There is definitely an angle to take that makes this look like some kind of kickstarter era Ponzi scheme. Keep the actual game vague, keep designing ship ideas that people will pay money for, get your kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames, to quote Jim Morrison.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

BigglesSWE posted:

The one aspect I simply cannot understand no matter how hard I try is how anyone can justify buying or "funding" a game content with a price tag of thousands of dollars. How did they even justify the prices of the ships? Based on the time and effort of its development or based on its promised performance in the game?

I've spent a lot of money over the years to buy and upgrade my computers. The key difference being, I know exactly what I get, and when I get it.

It's like donating to public media, your tote bag for $100 has nothing to do with the tote bag, it's just an incentive on top of the psychological reward of supporting a cause that seems favorable to you.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

2DCAT posted:

Also, I hope that Lowtax's publication of this article will result in a future article coming from Leonard J. Crabs. *crosses fingers*

Surely CIG couldn't be so old-school deluded that they would have a hissy fit and email legal threats to Lowtax, prompting the kaiju-like emergence of Leornard J. Crabs from the Chesapeake Bay.

The best I can hope for is maybe a whale tries to threaten him. We can only hope.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

SirPhoebos posted:

Good first draft Lowtax. The only crazy feature you left out that I think needs mentioning is the Space News Van.

There's actually a ton of material there. Since direct messaging would exist, you are basically hauling ephemeral News x 26 in your cargo hold like it's any other bulk good. Seems good and immersive.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lowtax posted:

I find it pretty amusing when people claim we're "hiding behind a paywall," but never explain what exactly we're hiding from. From what I recall, the sole reason I put up a paywall in the first place was to prohibit people spamming the forums with endless gimmick accounts that would do nothing but try to ruin threads by posting the same gigantic image repeatedly, or helpfully contributing to the community by calling people faggots. If there was no paywall, I absolutely guarantee you this thread would be overflowing with replies by people from a certain community intent on letting Derek Smart know he's a stupid friend of the family who should be lynched because he doesn't like their favorite video game.

So I guess if he's insinuating we're using the paywall to hide from absolute loving idiots, yes, that is true.

Since we're talking a bit generally about SA and the paywall, I've always found the difference of communities like SA compared to open communities very interesting. Seems like a good sociology or behavioral study. I bet there's a model for how SA interacts with Reddit, etc. but that's not my field so I don't know.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. The smallest starship in Warhammer 40K is the size Imperial Star Destroyer and carries tens of thousands of crew. Each vessel is a shrine to the Machine God, most being millennia old and carrying technology that man has long since lost the ability to recreate or even maintain outside the use of byzantine rituals. They are as much cathedrals as they are conveyances. To the men trapped inside the ships represent their only protection again the uncaring void, the unspeakable horrors of the Warp, and the angry fire of their enemies. It's only natural then that such vessels would be decorated in demonstrations of adoration and worship. The crew are typically pressed into service, taken from worlds that may never seen a machine and forced to toil in horrible conditions to ensure the vessel runs smoothly. Imagine work gangs of hundreds of men maneuvering torpedoes hundreds of meters long into firing tubes, while tech priests sing praises and glory in the hope that the Machine Spirit of the torpedo that is likely older than all of the workers combined will rouse itself in fury to detonate its holy payload.

Warhammer 40K is one of the most thematic and flavorful universes in science fiction. Not everyone likes it, but it's unflinchingly epic and awesome.

I think I had about 3 playthroughs of Space Marine just because I liked how it looked and the underlying lore (not necessarily the story).

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Did anyone happen to see Camelot: Unchained's Principle 15? He's clearly taking lessons from what is happening to Star Citizen, and probably knows more than your average guy from industry contacts.

For example:

quote:

Rule #2 Ė Donít over-promise just to raise additional funding.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Is this it? Is this whole thing starting to come apart? Gonna have to watch this thread and the one the RSI forums tonight.

About the Star Marine demo, I'd just really like to know what happened to that? That didn't seem any worse than what they've released in their "production alpha" (so happy they've made that a thing). I haven't played any 2.1 because I need to make room on my SSD but I'm sure that someone with a keen eye could verify whether any of those assets that they had in the demo exist in the live game.

I could entertain the idea as possible but I don't honestly believe that you can tease something like that, scrap it and claim everything is normal.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Anyone else notice that on /r/starcitizen you have to turn off the subreddit's custom CSS to see the controversial category? That seems like a small, but telling detail.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Fried Watermelon posted:

So what the hell were they actually working on at the studio if they have nothing to show from Star Marine?

That's my question. Where did the assets in that demo go? I can't wait for these NDA's to lift/be rendered toothless. I'd bet there was a monumental fuckup that was behind them scrapping whatever that demo was and cutting Illfonic to slow down their cash burn.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lowtax posted:

It's hilarious how many people think the "comments" on here are real:

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/star-marine-setback/

That's pure accolade for the author. I saw one redditor asking about why they couldn't browse to the next page of the comments.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

loving Art. It's internally and externally consistent and stands on it's own.

I just noticed all of the comments are timestamped at the exact same time. That's a nice detail.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lowtax posted:

Hey remember that one movie where certain people started waking up and realizing they were just living in a dream world perpetuated by computers to harvest them

Yeah CIG showed us that you don't really need to go through all that trouble for a certain segment of the population.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lowtax posted:

I may be wrong here, but I believe we've officially entered The Tipping Point.

Yeah, that's how it feels to me too.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sean Tracy sounds like he knows what he's doing. Pity his boss doesn't.

It's easy to forget that there may still be qualified people who are making real progress toward great gameplay that will probably never make it out of a cryengine editor.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

This twitch chat is incredible.

You're doing the lord's work in there.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Nicholas posted:

"its a bit cart before the horse right now"

*develops 36 clothing brands*

I don't know how to extrapolate that metaphor far enough to express what was asked. It's like 36 levels beyond the cart put in front of the horse.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Who here has the RSI forum handle Cobblers? This guy just keeps bringing up bird taming and farming in these threads about Star Marine and occasionally cultists will unironically respond to him.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

God I really want to read the postmortem book on this. I want, nay, need more than some Kotaku article.

E: Can you embed gifs in a book yet, this is actually super important to the ~fidelity~ of the Star Citizen story.

Goons have to do it. It's up to us (Gorf).

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Romes128 posted:

Mocap is done. All the actors are working on other things (except sandi lol)

No clarification needed, no one here thinks "Sandi!" when they hear "actors."

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Scruffpuff posted:

OK here's my official guess (until my next official guess), cobbled together from all the evidence, actions, money, players involved, and statements made:

SQ42 will be the only product CIG releases, and every other aspect of the project is going to be scrapped. PU, Arena Commander, social module, hangar - all of it.

This will be spun in the exact same way Chris spun the cancellation of Star Marine. They will go on record stating that the new (and much more awesome) tech being used in SQ42 will , with some tweaking, become the new foundation of the PU and everything else they promised.

Let's see how close I get.

You've given them too much credit. SQ42 never leaves the cryengine editor.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Sandweed posted:

A story where D Smart is the hero, what a time to be alive.

He's not the hero we wanted but maybe the one we deserve?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

And since I have no intentions (at this time) of suing Chris or CIG/RSI over his defamatory diatribe (in his response to The Escapist), since that's just going to be a waste of time given how long it would take to slog through that and get to the Star Citizen part, I am left with no choice but to do precisely what I said I would do: get the State and Fed authorities involved so that THEY can go take a look and determine what's best for the consumer. After all, that's precisely what the FTC (a Fed agency) is for.

Do you see a killing blow anytime soon, metaphorically speaking? Basically, I'm talking about a point at which the damage you can do is enough to topple the whole thing and your moles inside will be safe from reprisal because it will be dead.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ZenMaster posted:

If the news is, in fact, SG is leaving then they will spin it as "she got us all the money we need, she is leaving to pursue her own dreams... no longer SC, but Hollywood"

Honestly that would be great news for the game. That's like step 2 of getting this thing on track with step 1 being Chris Roberts leaving.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Liu posted:

mostly because there's a gently caress load of posts in this thread that don't really say much of anything but exist anyway, like this post is just me saying "ben lesnick is fat" and yet here it is, existing.

Another beautiful metaphor for SA. Keep 'em coming.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Iglocska posted:

Yeah, they will be skippable. Here is a demonstartaion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdX8M8LO8Q

(I've wasted like 20 mins of my life on this)

Those are the end credits of Contact, right?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my bad, thought he said RtV

It's not as if they have 15 of these weekly Q&A streams with "______ the 'Verse" for the name.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Reverse the Verse is actually way more interesting, or at least has been lately, because inevitably cracks in the facade slip through and they can't be edited out.

Around the Verse has been particularly boring because they have no more content to show so you get 20 minute features on changing the color scheme of a ship model that won't even be hanger ready in 6 months or whatever.

You've got to hand it to them. They attracted the perfect customer-base. They can just endlessly delight them with details of procedurally generated drink machines and they will lap it up.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile in Elite...

It never ceases to amaze me that you can fly to every one of those stars.

Elite is not without its problems, so I hear, anyway. On the other hand, dammit don't they deserve a little credit for being responsible? I've decided right now that I'm going to try Elite. Just to reward those guys for not giving into the temptation to turn into a Nostalgia Dream Factory Ponzi Scheme.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

AtV delayed indefinitely?

We already have this week's AtV. It's just a way to communicate with our community and you HAVE COMMUNICATION right now!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

There is no way they can make this game. Having relative gravity independent of the ships velocity/accel, etc., is not only hard to design conceptually but even worse to think how a computer does it quickly and cheaply (in terms of resource cost) for several objects, not to mention that they want you to be able to transition between the ship and the outside seamlessly. GG.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically the Vanduul ships use a weird "lay-down" configuration that should make everything fit easier. Plus it has the added benefit of making any two-seater craft they'd implement turn into Star Centipede

Either way the cockpit and controls should be laughably oversized for human pilots, but I think they handwave that away by saying the Vanduul ships humans are flying are refit for human pilots by some company.

So in Star Citizen lore, did the Vanduul come up with the term 'cockpit'?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jum-Jum posted:

There was Dark Millenium which was an MMO but cancelled (after THQ I think?), and then Eternal Crusade came along instead.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375230/
It's essentially WH40K: Space Marine but Multiplayer focused. Right now it's just 32 players, they're gonna push for some bigger numbers soon but I doubt it'll be any bigger than 100 people.
It's the closest we got to a PlanetSide 40k game.

The song is amazing. The picture is amazing. You sir, are amazing.
:perfect:

Sorry to respond way late but Eternal Crusade looks so good. I played through Space Marine maybe three times just because I loved the combat and the art. This is so up my alley.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

But if Donald Trump is a Goon, I'm out.

Donald would probably say, "I've been a goon for years. Honestly, it's a bad forum. Nothing funny in years. Lowtax, he had a good run but he's out of touch. I prefer 4chan now."

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

alphabettitouretti posted:

The devs must get a new ulcer every time Crobber talks and announces another insane feature. There are entire games that just do this, but yeah we'll just implement it for use in a module in one ship why the gently caress not.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't know if there's a word for when a dog is running on a exercise wheel super fast but then it trips and falls and now it's just spinning around and howling.

Maybe there's something in German I don't know.

After fremdschamen I have faith German will deliver.

(Quoting from way back because I do sleep sometimes)

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ZenMaster posted:

:eyepop:

That is some next level Event Horizon horror

:gonk:

I'm requesting editing Croberts and Star Citizen into the finale of Event Horizon.

Crobbers as Demon Dr. Weir. Beer as Lawrence Fishburn. The gravity drive is overlayed with the Star Citizen logo.

Crobbers: "DO YOU SEE"

Rapid montage of the most frightening SC bugs

FishBeern: "Yes, I see."

FishBeern hits detonator. Idris jpeg explodes.

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzW1T89qH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Wafflz posted:

stripper slaves, it's in the game

In the midst of all the mundane tedium being treated like fun gameplay by spergs just "It'd be cool if"-ing, I think Star Wars Galaxies deserves a golfclap. While a strange, probably not good game, it managed to gamify roles like dancing, playing music in bars, being the mayor of a player city pretty successfully.

I'm not saying watching the looping animations was great gameplay but they might have pulled off getting people to take a boring day job in a game better than anyone.

• Locked thread