Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
So I know that it's very gauche, but I'll say that obvious stability problems aside (and the hilarious streamers blaming Windows for the crashing), this game looks more feature-complete than I ever thought it'd get. I think that's more a statement on expectations than execution, but still.

fake edit: Ha, "server full" messages in a tiny mock-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

[citation needed]

I don't really like defending Octopode, but you're being loving ridiculous.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
So I've got to say, I had fun in Star Citizen today.

After a bit of clicking around to get into the spaceship instance (could these be better labelled?), I managed to request and get into a Retaliator without falling through the floor (for the first time!). I promptly spent the next five minutes ramming ships off landing pads until cigphysics.mp4 happened and the ship somehow ejected me and starting flying off at crazy speeds. I went and requested another ship to try and catch it but even at boosting speeds I couldn't catch up.

So it gave me the idea to not just crash into ships on landing pads, but to bowl them off the pads until they were far enough away from the space station to shoot them. I only managed it once before dying, but it was pretty fun.

GOTY.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh also I'm apparently somehow akin to correcting people about Hitler

Which is a funny analogy, because in a thread discussing the holocaust I would imagine that since its history discussion correcting any misinformation would be a good thing.

God, reddit is such an awful community and the SC subreddit is the among the worst subs. The only right opinion is the groupthink opinion. Not that I'd encourage vote brigading, but folks who are otherwise engaged in the reddits should definitely go try and combat the general nastiness over there.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Why bother

We should fight ebaumsworld next.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
We should declare war on reddit in a popular video game or something

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Having rules and enforcing them is also a thing that seems to work.

Banned for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

Anything good happen during the last 5000 loving posts? I haven't been following this clusterfuck lately.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

90% of this thread is this gif.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
God macharial420 is seriously a bitter, bitter person. On the topic of whether Squadron 42 will ever show up on Steam, in response to an article saying that most big games end up on Steam:

Reddit Warrior, macharial420 posted:

Wow.
What a petty, vindictive ragewall of just... wow.
Sorry other people have differing opinions. Life must be really frustrating for you. I mean, like, really god drat frustrating.
Enjoy dying young.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40scg0/squadron_42_on_steam/cywwq81

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the die-hards also usually don't realize that this thread was around mocking Star Citizen way before Derek Smart entered the ring. They just can't fathom that people might have come to these conclusions about the game completely independent of The Missives.

They also don't realize that we're actually mocking Derek Smart at the same time :v:

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which do you think?

quote:

Have you validated Beer4TheBeerGod's emails yet? Just curious brah.

Aieris_ posted:

Do I care to brah?
Nah brah, not really brah.
Thanks for bothering though brah. Totally relevant to the thread brah. See you later brah.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/40n5qy/erris_rates_star_citizen_ships_because/cywlacw?context=3

Journalism at its finest!

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Because I can contain myself in the brown sea:

Brown Sea posted:

Special Notes:
  • We are aware that the elevator UI frequently provides a false-positive “server full” error message when attempting to join an instance. We are investigating the cause of these errors.
Arena Commander Module:
Balance/Tweaks:
Ships
  • The Freelancer top speed in SCM mode has been adjusted from 200 m/s to 170 m/s.
Fixes:
Ships
  • Fixed an issue where the Vanduul Glaive and Scythe had incorrect top speeds in SCM mode.
  • The Scythe now has a top speed of 195 m/s in SCM mode.
  • The Glaive now has a top speed of 205 m/s in SCM mode.
Persistent Universe:
Gameplay
  • Fixed an issue where the explosions from player ships would not appear for all clients in range.
Ships
  • Fixed an issue where the Cutlass Black would bounce around constantly on landing platforms.

No door fixes :(

e: beaten. but formatting. so there.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently adjusting the Freelancer's speed is a balance tweak, but adjusting the Glaive/Scythe is a fix.

So they:
- Changed a XML value.
- Changed a XML value.
- Changed a XML value.
- Fixed a visual problem.
- Slightly unfucked the Cutlass.

How the hell do they prioritize this stuff?

4.1 GBs.

XML has grown, clearly.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

This is ridiculous. I've said more than once in this thread that Star Citizen is turning out better than I'd actually expected and I was impressed with the progress they've made. Of course, that's mostly because my expectations are so drat low, but whateva.

But I've never once been censored by "the horde" or bullied. The only person who I'd say has been was probably Octopode, (and frankly there was plenty of stupidity to go 'round there)

Compare that to reddit where there is actual censorship, to the point where your opinion is put greyed out, minimized at the bottom of the page, if not flat-out deleted. Have there been any deleted posts here? Was Octopode banned? I don't think so? Where's the censorship again?

vyst posted:

Hey is this a game yet?

Yes. Load into game and bowl citizen's ships off of landing platforms. It's awesome.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
I'll go on record as saying SC's ships look fine, even good. A common critique here is that SC has abandoned fun for realism. SC's ship designs are fun, so I would applaud them for that.

The problem gets to be when they try to justify their awful physics simulation that means they have to re-re-re-design ships over and over because while it looks cool to have swoopy fins with engines on them, it doesn't work at all in terms of physics. So rather than critiquing pretend spaceship jpegs, let's critique the stupid as gently caress system that dictates that every ship must follow some questionable physics system.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Sedisp posted:

But they aren't fun. They just look like blocks with fins glued on. In a universe where some other blocks don't need fins for no discernible reason.

Real life airplanes have funner designs and they abandon all fun for realism.

Well that's just like you're opinion man, or however this meme goes. It doesn't really matter, the whole thing is a pretend space ship game. Why are there dozens of posts about a completely subjective thing when there are real, actual, concrete examples of how this game is hosed. Same thing with this whole Sandi degree business. Can we stop being creepy and leave that to reddit?

trucutru posted:

Hey, psst... they are not simulating physics. that's 100% pure bullshit, the ships have no feeling of mass.

Yeah, we've known that from the start when they had completely out of what "mass" measurements for all the ships. That's why I said "questionable" :v: However, I have no issues believing that they're trying to model thrust based on position and size of whatever random thrusters they feel like sticking on. We've seen enough bullshit behavior to justify that.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh wow an actual ban.

Is that an actual ban though? It still says he's "On Probation" and on his Citizen profile it just says "This citizen is currently on probation until 2016-02-05 12:01 for misconduct."

Or do they double-up bans and probations?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Octopode posted:

I think people are a little too up in arms about something that probably needs to happen if they want the game to ever actually come out; for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over broken promises and un-lived up to hype, sacrificing what was, ultimately, an extraneous game mode largely disconnected from the core gameplay experience is a better project management decision than CIG has shown in the past. If they manage to stick out all the vitriol associated with it, it will say a lot about whether they are going to be able to run a functional game that appeals to more than whales in the face of inevitable outcry from the $15K+ backers or if they are going to cave to the very loud minority in the face of unpopular decisions that are better for the game.

For what it's worth, I agree. I knew Smartians (I came up with that myself, Reddit, be sure to credit me) would be all over it because it's a broken promise, but it was a good move given the environment CIG put themselves in. Frankly, it was not a great idea anyway. Though it was hilarious to see Reddit try play pretend and say that this would clearly be the next great MilSim shooter that puts Call of Duty to shame. Who the gently caress seriously wanted a janky FPS clone out of this anyway.

That's not to say that breaking commitments is okay, but honestly, hasn't making ridiculous claims and promises been SC's problem since the beginning? Obviously it'd be better if they stopped making them in the first place, but at least they're backing off on them when it makes sense to do so.

Yes, there's still the huge issue of CIG getting themselves into the situation in the first place, their complete and utter lack of open communication about anything of substance, and then their rapid back pedaling when questioned on anything that might threaten their whale-base. But let's be honest, for the game to actually materialize, canning Star Marine(tm) was a good move.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

I still don't understand why they opened four studios.

I don't mean that rhetorically, I actually mean, why the gently caress did they open four studios thousands of miles (and in one case a whole ocean) apart?

How else could Chris and Sandi justify jetsetting while also writing it off as a business expense?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to London to try out for a bit part supervise something or other.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

What dumb pie in the sky game do we follow next

Line of Defense

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

The first task in Goat Simulator.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4l2jll/mockery_is_a_form_of_flattery/

quote:

its not an SC spoof.......it's a sci-fi spoof, I don't even see anything vaguely SC in there.

quote:

Where do you see the specific parts for Star Citizen? The crowdfunding? Heard a bunch of other space sim games did that, too, successfully.

quote:

Actually Star Citizen it one of the few big scifi franchises I don't see represented.
You could say their mocking of Kickstarters is mocking SC backers, but it's not a direct reference, and it's definitely not "flattery." (No more than SC trolls are flattering.)

quote:

there is zero reference to SC
mostly Star Wars stuff mashed together

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Abongination posted:

lol if this is the "e.l.e"

*sad trumpet*

Derek Smart overblowing something that we already knew? Shocked!

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Where exactly does it say that?

As was said above, this isn't new. The massive green/red mess here under Section XIII D & E is the juicy bits.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

Wafflz posted:

lol @ you guys thinking derek needs actual proof to start saying "confirmed".

I mean, he's literally just copy/pasting whatever Sarsapariller dug up and saying "confirmed". I highly doubt he's done any original research here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

I only made it this far. Can you give us a TL;DR Derek?

e:

Say it ain't so Derek... Say it ain't so! :smugdon:

I want to get off Mr. Derek's Wild Ride.

• Locked thread