Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

I have no idea what is going on. Been away for a week.

Is /r/StarCitizen trying to destroy the internet to keep people from talking bad about Star Citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

If you're not full of yourself then what are you full of?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Dicks mostly

Your own dick?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

I was listening to the radio in my automobile device and they said processed meat can lead to cancer. They specifically listed hot dogs and bacon, but didn't talk about burgs/ground beef.

Does an intake of burgs lead to an increased risk of cancer?

I must know. Help me citizens.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

:eyepop:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Mr Smart, I know your priority is probably developing the framework, networking and balancing, but why don't you hire a couple of decent graphics artists to make your game look like it's not from 20 years ago? Assuming your engine can use shaders it wouldn't even be that huge of a technical issue, just a content one.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

It's okay remember Chris Roberts didn't promise any dates. It will be released when it is ready and when the world is ready for it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

An artist designed it. Ben approved it. Sandi approved it. Chris approved it.

That is all that anyone need know about the future of Star Citizen.

What you have to realize is that just because Chris Roberts promises a feature doesn't mean that they will develop it.

This is how game development works.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

If you're being ironic, ignore the following correction.

No, that's how "game development" works when you work for Molyneux. Roberts, or other 'visionaries' with pathological inclinations towards scope runaway and over-promising. And it's a formula for generating maximum short-term hype and the expense of long-term credibility, and their legacies are built on one success in the distant past, followed by a string of failures.

Well run gaming studios don't have histories of talking up all the feature-sets before they've even locked basic mechanics of play. Well run studios don't talk about their games before they've moved past internal alpha stage development and are well-into beta. Some don't even talk about them until they're in QA stage doing the bugsmashing on a game they've not yet announced and have previously refused to confirm is in development. Like these guys.

And crowdfunding is no excuse. Harebrained demonstrated exactly the kind of discipline and restraint that Chris has always lacked in their latest Battletech kickstarter. No stretch goals, promises NOT to expand scope beyond what they were pitching. Their project was in fact a passive-aggressive rebuke of Chris Roberts, and the digs made at Star Citizen are hardly subtle, because Harebrained knows the damage that folks like Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux cause for the reputation of the industry at large.

doctor iono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Xa012yvXY

14:35 - The amount of smugness contained in the following 30 seconds is painful.
18:15 - Does someone have this reddit post/tweet? Lesnick Thor :catstare:
23:35 - Host spends 45 seconds describing how call-ins work on a radio show. i want to die. this show is 2 hours long.
25:30 - hey it's that part i was looking for. in response to "is there space karate?"

"Let me go ahead and give this blanket answer for everything that you hear about in 10 for the Chairman and ATV and everything. These are - they're intentions. There's the things we would like to do. There's the things that we sign our people to explore, to figure out - you know, go and see about making this happen. Then there's the challenge. Then there's - going through and figuring out how to make all this happen. Not everything's going to become a reality exactly the way we spoke about it; not everything's going to work with every other system; it's an exploration - that's what development is. So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet."

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

are we at peak stupid yet

10 days.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

What is Smart?
Derek don't hurt me
Derek don't hurt me
No more.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Derek pls

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Derek I need this

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Derek promises star shattering revelations about finances and lawsuits, fails to deliver.

Much like Star Citizen.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

As long as star citizen continues to promise poo poo we will post poo poo.

poo poo goes in, poo poo comes out.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

So they're flat out admitting that the 'sneak peak' video is just a bunch of stuff they CGI'd together a year ago? Basically a rendered cutscene.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. Were you expecting progress?

No. I just wasn't expecting them to start reusing promo pieces from 1+ years ago as new content, then to admit to it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SeraphEightyFour posted:

Can't as I'm banned from r/starcitizen, but one of you could.

Just because we could doesn't mean we're going to.

Kind of like loving children.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

As an aside, I'm very excited about this promising new web series which may (or may not) have been shot using CIG camera equipment and edited using CIG employees.

(Warning: Contains 4 Non Blondes music.)

I showed this to an Australian goon. He said "it looks like the level and quality of an australian made film (sans the insane extravaganzas of Baz Lurmen or however you spell his name)". He didn't know Sandi was Australian. When I told him that, his response was:

"The connection is now clear. Australian films are basically make-work schemes for otherwise unemployable australian artists, one just managed to find her way into a massive pile of nerd money i guess"

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

I really would like to know how much Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner are paying themselves. Salaries, benefits, all of it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Come on Derek do us a solid and get us this info. Something actually useful and damning to RSI instead of blowing a bunch of hot air up our asses.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Yes. I know things.

Stop teasing us.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

G0RF posted:

"Paaaarpp!"

(I showed this to my son tonight. I am going to be hearing airhorns for weeks now. But it was worth it for the laughs.)

I'm listening to this on my monitor's lovely built in speakers and Chris Roberts sounds just like Lumpy Space Princess.

It's kind of amazing.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Derek Smart is a beautiful butterfly and cannot be held back.

He's gotta do what a Derek Smart's gotta do.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

FrankieGoes posted:

Hahaha, Star Shitizens are poors.

But why also middle eastern?

Maybe in addition to being a front for the Swedish Mafia it is also funneling money for ISIS and Al Queda.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

So they're trying to make ships spiral out of control when their thrusters and control systems are damaged and about to explode.

Except they can't control how the ships spiral out of control in the way that they want them to because the thrusters are damaged and unable to follow the carefully defined "out of control" flight path.

As opposed to just having them spiral out of control in whatever direction the flight engine says they should?

I guess that's not cinematic enough.

:star citizen:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Don't forget the costs involved with hiring all those actors.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Perspective is just a bunch of RULES put in place by evil publishers to limit what we can see and dream.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait, so there's been some muppet or other giving money at least once every hour since whenever? :catstare:

Seams kind of unreal doesn't it?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Derek Smart's dog ate our codework.

drat you Legal!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Rome wasn't built in a day.

It was built in 2 weeks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Mirificus posted:

Please don't forget about the Dark Knights:

Star Citizens gonna gently caress you up if you keep talking bad about da game.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

No separate rapist profession?

What if I just want to rape someone without kidnapping or enslaving them?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

It's probably the physics engine spazzing out when the game is trying to update positions from the network server.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

My backer number is lower than yours so I am better than you.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

How many people are able to be on the same station at once now? 2?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Will there be controls to keep undesireables out of the Million Mile High Club?

I can accept a black man as a door bouncer as long as he is will dressed and trained to be congenial. But I don't want them in the club itself.

Especially if they don't shave "down there".

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

It's been a doozy.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Are we at 3.0 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Eldragon posted:

oops, never mind. Your whole theory falls apart because griefing is subjective.

Is the person being griefed a pro backer? Have they "invested" more money than the person griefing them?

If yes then ban that fucker who is messing with their cash cow.

• Locked thread