Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Natron posted:

Are we surprised that people who spent literal thousands of dollars on jpegs are impressed by more jpegs? I mean, on a rational level it surprises me because it's so loving dumb, but with these people? Seems like par for the course with these idiots.

They do look nice though.

Pictures of jpegs. They can't have the actual jpegs, they didn't pay pledge enough for the privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
There should be a reverse disclosure act. Similar to how reviewers must disclose if they received gifts/payment from the company whose product they are reviewing except here they must disclose if they've given money to CIG prior to writing their article.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I know they plan to release it. They told me. And we can trust them. Because they say things.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
It's not a scam because people are still willing to give them money. If it was a scam they'd stop.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Dante80 posted:

I would just like to add something about Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts is very well known in the games industry for his gently caress-ups concerning feature creep. It is as if people have forgotten Freelancer or Strike Commander.

SC is Freelancer 2.0, but this time around CR has complete executive and creative freedom, as well as a community - substituting his publisher as a means of funding - that consistently fails to check him on his own words, promises and execution. This is a perfect storm for fan infused development hell.

I need some Strike Commander stories. All I know/remember about that game was a full page ad that looked pretty sweet, it was made by the peoples that made Wing Commander and the ad had a tagline boasting that it had over 20 man years of development.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

I need some Strike Commander stories. All I know/remember about that game was a full page ad that looked pretty sweet, it was made by the peoples that made Wing Commander and the ad had a tagline boasting that it had over 20 man years of development.

I was 12 or something at the time but even then I remember that being a strange thing to boast about on an ad.

Quoting myself because my posts are calculated to formulate a response.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Chris Roberts, in the game's manual, compares the game's long development time with the events in the 1991 documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, a film account of what it took to get the 1979 film Apocalypse Now made.

I need to see this manual.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Sometimes you gotta break a few laws and shatter long held preconceptions in order to push the envelope in gaming performance.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Supporting a game development studio is a lot like marriage. Until death (or EA) do us part.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'm still trying to figure out how a laser grappling hook works

With lasers. Duh.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
If I am still a backer (via a Gift Certificate) who has never downloaded or played the game or agreed to any of the newer terms of service is there a route available to me to request the financials of the operation as specified in the original terms of service? Specifically I would like to know how much management is paying themselves and what the purpose of all the various related companies are.

I'm assuming the answer is that I can ask but they will ignore it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
This has been a very weird trip.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Tickle is already an instaban word on r/starcitizen and wtfosaurus' channel

jfc they're not even trying to hide that they're on the take lmao

If a bunch of people started coming into my stream channel to smugly troll it I would probably add those words to the ban filters too, tbh.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Maybe purchasing jpegs with gift certificates is quicker than using credit cards? Every second counts when they release those rare limited quantity jpegs.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
You see, photoshopping an image is like rape because those pixels did not give consent to be violated.

Furthermore,

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Here's some Ben quotes from his blog:

I initially thought that these were all quotes from a single day in his life.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Setting a refrigerator to display the Star Citizen website is a great way to promote the game to the masses.

Any moment now those appliance store pledges will start rolling in.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
You can't put a price on your dreams, man.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I still cannot get over how much Roberts sounds like Lumpy Space Princess.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Was Items 2.0 just replacing "USE" with a context specific verb?

Also is anyone looking for a dedicated cargo loader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Breetai posted:

I know that it's absolutely small potatoes in the scheme of things, but the man's twitter pic disproportionately grinds my gears. What is it with nerds and their overwhelming desire to ensure that every picture of them is a shot of them mugging and pulling as wacky a face as possible? I mean, I guess it's just a level of self-loathing that stops them from attempting to appear genuinely pleasant because they feel that they can't, but I see it everywhere and it shits me. [/gitoffmylawnoldmanrant]

We have AVGN to thank for that.

• Locked thread