Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

happyhippy posted:

For E3 last July, David Braben of Elite Dangerous turned up in person to talk about his game. He flew from England.
For Star Citizen they got a video of Chris in his mocap romper diaper, saying how busy he was doing mocap stuff to appear.
E3 and SC are both located in LA.

To be fair, I'm assuming David had time since his game was/is mostly done and working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

pun pundit posted:

World of Tanks developer Wargaming has been going to great lengths to not nerf tanks they have sold for real money. This is because in the EU, lowering the value of a digital good sold is legally actionable.

Think about what that means for "everything is subject to change" Star Citizen ships. Like the Constellation Phoenix that was sold as having a more powerful power plant, now it has a tiny extra power plant instead. That's legally actionable.

But obviously the jurisdiction in such cases would fall to Space Court.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Here, let me just compare and contrast design documents and reality for more-or-less everything they've actually implemented. Perhaps we will see a pattern start to emerge.

Ship Components- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems
Ship Components- Reality: You can drag-and-drop some guns and shields onto your ship in a confusing menu where half the time things don't work right. They may or may not appear in-game. No other components do anything.

Shields- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14489-Shields-Management
Shields- Reality: You can kind of move power around but really nobody ever does that because ships are so flippy-spinny that you are unlikely to get shot from the same direction twice. Shields on big ships take 5+ minutes to charge.

Repair- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance
Repair- Reality: Land on a platform and a drone fixes your ship automatically in seconds.

Medical stuff- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14318-Healing-Your-Spacemen
Medical Stuff- Reality: You can grab a health pack in certain stations and then press a button to make your health number go up.

FPS Stances- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-FPS-Stances-Breathing
FPS Stances- Reality: You can crouch or lie down because those are pretty much default cryengine poses.

Rental Credits- Design: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14502-Rental-Equipment-Credits
Rental Credits- Reality: You have to complete a game of Arena Commander to even earn any REC and that's a 40+ minute endeavor, assuming good copilots and your game doesn't crash. At the end of it you will get maybe 1500 REC. You need 15,000 to rent a ship. Good loving luck. (Also you can't do any ship rental in-game, it's all through the website)

It feels weird coming back to reading about Star Citizen after ignoring it for over a year and finding things somehow not just as-much off the rails as it was when they were struggling to release the first DFM, but somehow exponentially more off the rails.

Why do the seem to want to invest this much level of detail (breathing? limb damage?) in to a first person shooter mode? I mean I know the answer to that, but there has to be a point where some mechanic will cause CR to say "hey...maybe this isn't really that important to the game?"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sounds almost as much fun as the mining gameplay.

EVE Online: Find asteroid. Target asteroid. Activate mining beams. Get minerals. Sell minerals on market.

Rebel Galaxy: Find asteroid. Aim mining beams at targeting points. Fire mining beams. Tractor in minerals. Sell minerals on market.

Star Citizen: Find asteroid. Scan asteroid to find center of mass and scan for analysis impact point. Fire analysis missile, manually guiding into indicated angle and location of impact. If analysis package insertion is successful, utilize mining beam to cut apart asteroid as guided by the material concentrations determined by the analytical materials processor. Avoid tragedy by using exothermic reaction detector to precisely determine beam power and avoid inadvertent explosion from thermally sensitive materials while simultaneously using laser seismometer to avoid detonating shock sensitive materials. Use fragment scanner to determine chunks of interest and then use a combination of tractor and repulsor beams to precisely control fragments of interest into input port. Optionally use refinery to control a series of specialized processing units to extract minerals of interest and reduce cargo space. Sell minerals on market.

Luckily nobody will interrupt this delicate process.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or sabotage it. I wonder what happens if you start shooting these asteroids which will apparently catastrophically explode if hit with too much energy.

Now I'm hoping they try for a mostly/completely player driven economy. Resource collection will be so complicated that everyone's ships will be destroyed before anyone was able to collect enough space-metal to rebuild a single ship. Everyone will be stuck driving go-carts around the station.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

As someone who once tried to play EVE I can understand the interest in making mining a more engaging experience.

I suspect they do not actually know how to achieve that properly. Sadly.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

He just needs to tell Chris Roberts how many people are in China that maybe want to one day play a spaceship game.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think someone referenced this several pages back while I was catching up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk

Why does it sound like Gary Oldman is shouting his lines to me from the other side of an auditorium? I didn't think it was possible to have both the face of an actor and him doing the lines and somehow make it seem completely phony, but there they are.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It'd be interesting to hear what someone like Brian Fargo or Jordan Weisman thinks about CRI and SC. I'm assuming neither are going to needlessly burn a bridge until they know 100% that Roberts has hit pariah status, but I have to imagine they're particularly annoyed and worried about how likely it is that SC's failure will significantly impact their abilitity to fund their games/studios going forward.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ledenko posted:

When this steaming shitpile collapses in on itself, is it actually going to make gaming history or is it just going to be a footnote? Who is honestly going to be suprised apart from the die hard whales?

Maybe not directly gaming history (aside from the way people like to talk about thousands of Atari ET cartridges being buried in the desert), but this does have a high chance to cripple the concept of crowd funding for a long time.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It doesn't take much of a stretch to realize how much most of the rank-and-file workers must loathe upper management by now. They have already had loads of people leave 'senior' and 'executive' positions, which are likely the ones that most directly have to deal with Roberts and his constantly changing vision. I mean, just imagine you are an industry professional trying to get a real game created and you see Roberts go in front of all his fans and promise hunting birds on procedurally generated planets (or whatever). Everything about it is just ridiculous. I can't even imagine the hell of working for the CIG CS department under Sandi.

I can't even imagine how toxic the work environment is by now, and I suspect that is even in comparison to some of the horror stories we've heard like rockstar Australia and such. Turnover is toxic. A sense that you can not speak your mind is toxic. The idea that the task or vision in front of you is demonstratively impossible and you will eventually be punished for not achieving it? gently caress.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That Works posted:

Kinda sad that they have obviously spent so much money on their facilities etc and are having these kind of problems. Wouldn't like a CFO or someone step and and say "uh hey guys we can make do just fine with a room full of Ikea desks here instead of a $20,000 table"

Well you have a problem if your CFO has to step in on something like that. Procuring office furniture and supplies is a very easy skill to hire for. Like, to me it'd take CFO involvement (or some senior sponsor) to not get cheap office furniture.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I know this, yet it didn't stop me from putting about thirty bucks into the harebrained mechwarrior kickstarter.
Nostalgia.

To be fair, I don't think any of the MWO people are involved in the HBS game, certainly not at the executive level (unless we're talking credited producers because someone like Jordan worked on the original ip), and at least you can look at the shadow run games as a samp of HBS's way of doing business

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dapper Dan posted:

No, they acquired the license. MWO is different from Battletech Kickstarter.

EDIT:

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool

I was more referring to Weisman possibly being listed as a producer on MWO because Weisman founded FASA back in the day, and I wasn't sure even with all the IP sales of Battletech throughout the years that he and other original creators might still be getting some credit on things using the IP.

But yeah also cool to hear they're salvaging assets from someone :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MedianZetaMaleGoon posted:

What do goons think about the potential of this Worlds Adrift game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZysNm7FDDYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrvpyZziYo

Honestly this looks better than Star Citizen if they flesh out the combat and stuff.

Is there a separate thread for that game? if so plz link me.

Kind of looks like a variation on the gimmick Space Engineers and similar minecraft-with-science games are aiming for. Definitely could be completed, which makes it look better than SC? But Usually those games tend to be pretty shallow on mechanics as they have so much to cover in development.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MedianZetaMaleGoon posted:

:agreed:
Hmm yeah that's a pickle if there's no money there's no dev team, and no AAA game. They should do a kickstarter or somethin

I don't think it's a money issue necessarily? Yes funding to deliver on a wide and deep scope is an issue, but there's an inherent risk in simply having a large scope- namely that it becomes hard to predict how different parts of it will actually interact with each other. This comes up in technical limitations, rule/mechanic incoherence, and a number of other issues that aren't so much left open because of a lack of money to solve them, but a lack of sheer brilliance to bring all these disparate concepts together.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Will there ever be a promised-game like this again, that brings so many weirdos into its orbit and gives us a view into the minds of people who never quite got past their tweens?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thank god we've gotten rid of evil publishers, so the fans themselves can engage in bullshit tactics like using an EULA.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

This is like an interview with someone in Jonestown before they all drank the kool-aid

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Like we joke that Roberts and these crazy people will blame Smart or SA or haters for why this game will fail...but holy moly they will. Completely seriously.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The French Army! posted:

Fortunately we've got records all over the internet of the poo poo they promised. When they blame Derek and us goons for the collapse they're not going to be able to stand up to the scrutiny because they've spent the last three years shooting themselves in the feet.

You can't reason someone out of a position they were never reasoned in to.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So a dude named Kyle Bromley, an Illfonic employee, posted this a few hours ago:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0EaVG

Sure looks nice!

So wait is this in the PU? Is this what Roberts was talking about in his comments? Looks pretty good.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So, how are they going to handle reviews and media when this thing "launches"? Assuming they manage to get SQ42 (episode 1, part 1, prelude) out the door before they completely implode...what's their plan? Gaming sites are already getting more and more comfortable sniping at CRI and their endless delays and buggy demos- so what are they going to say when they finally get their hands on a mediocre-to-broken space flight sim with ugly graphics and a terrible story? And are CRI going to try to pay for good reviews, or just burn all the game reviewers as part of the system that just wants them to fail, all pawns of Derek Smart?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

This mystifies me as well. The development world has grown since then. Consider back when he made his last even semi-successful game, and how different the PC technology was. There are small indie developers who, today, have made more complex and engrossing games than anything Chris has ever made. The fact that he's been out of the industry as long as he has means a lot in a field that evolves and grows as quickly as this one. It's like giving a guy a job building a nuclear submarine because 20 years earlier he made one out of Legos, but nothing since. He's uniquely unqualified to do this. You could almost randomly pick another developer who actually has recently made and shipped a game and have the likelihood of success increase.

Ehh, I'm not so sure I buy that everything's changed so much that he couldn't succeed just because of the environment. Jordan Weisman was never a programmer afaik, but he's managed to help lead a team to Shadowrun. Brian Fargo was out of the game as well and inExile is generally chugging along. What you do have to do is be able to understand what you don't know, and know how to bring in smart people you can trust to support those knowledge gaps. That's certainly where I think Roberts fails. He needs to be as hands-off as possible for this to succeed, and by his very nature he seems to be the exact opposite.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'd say it's telling that they closed the thread as opposed to providing the 'accurate' information needed, but it's not like anyone at CIG has provided accurate information at any point anyways.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like how the true believers approach asking a question about another cut feature. Not only do they have to make sure it's clear twice over that they are not daring to challenge them, but for all they know this may be the best decision ever? Cutting a multiplayer feature...may make your game this generation's Star Wars?!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

It's intended to give the illusion of open development. What it really constitutes is a form of public brainstorming - not the same thing. Open development would be showing systems in development; you know, something like a PLAYER INVENTORY which we still do not have any details on, spreadsheets about how the economy is planned, showing completed game maps etc. Open development would say what the backer money paid for (this is NOT the stretch goals page - that is just a bunch of bullshit they made up as a way to show incoming cash "unlocking" content - most of those systems have not been fleshed out or designed beyond the words on that page). Open development would have made it obvious over the course of 2015 that Star Marine was not coming out. They didn't just suddenly know that two weeks ago. That might have been when they made the call, but with open development, the backers would have been there right alongside them, seeing the increasing difficulty. They could have said things like "Star Marine as originally pitched might have to be rethought" and so on, taking months to show the direction it was going and why it was probably going away.

Open development would have follow-ups on earlier stuff. "Remember that thing we showed you last week? These 2 parts didn't work, so we took them out. Here's what it looks like today. Here's what we're hoping to show you next week." And then show it.

Instead of all that, it's just people sitting around talking about what might be cool, just casually shooting the poo poo. Nothing talked about is necessarily related to the game, and nothing in the game is necessarily talked about. In the same way they tossed out the PTU and said "gently caress you, no more refunds, and here's Star Marine btw", they toss out these videos and say "here's your open development, fuckers."

I'd probably say the way Rope Kid managed Pillars of Eternity was/is probably the best example of open development in terms of engaging a large community. Aside from being able to regularly present project status reports that did not constantly generate confusion and unmet expectations, they had a very solid plan to present setting, gameplay and engine details throughout the process to show you where they were going.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DOMDOM posted:

Werner is clearly the only one who could do this justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUf0QFFi2Mk

Someone dub over CR being annoyed with Star Marine questions to this, please.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Honestly, show me a game with better ship-buying mechanics. This game has been revolutionary on the ways in which you can spend real dollars on imaginary computer spaceships.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm starting to feel like SC is really an avant-garde art project attempting to destroy the meaning of language around software development. After ~3 years I think the terms 'open development', 'pipeline', 'design', 'refactoring' and maybe a dozen other words have been so conceptually obliterated that future software teams will be reduced to grunting and rude gestures to describe their process.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hi everyone, just grey-boxing a pipeline to our roadmap which will refactor a number of key ship element in our second and third passes.

Please excuse the dust!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Just wanted to give people some insight into our ship design process. First we start with the technical design document- this gives us some of the gritty details of what the ship is and lets teams start working on it. Then we move to the grey-box phase, where we work on some of the really gritty details of the ship design, the stuff that lets other teams really dig in on their work for this ship. Up next? The detailed tech design. At this point, we're really trying to hammer out the truly gritty details of the ship, the stuff that lets the artists, designers and coders get their work done. After that is a really important part of the process: the detailed integration design review. Sound complex, doesn't it? Well here's where we get into some extremely gritty details and compare the ship to other ships both in game, in testing, in coding, in development, in detailed integrated design review, in detailed tech design, in grey-box, and in tech design. Once were done with this, those artists and coders can really get started! After that we move to black-box phase of design. In black-box, we work on the grit, adding in some bacon, shredded cheese and chives, and top it with a healthy blast of Roberts' Signature Sauce. Welcome to flavortown, citizens!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Like, I feel that it's very common for organizations to try and show off how as complex a diagram as possible in terms of their system architecture or business processes. These charts are meant to make you say "wow! this looks really complex! they must be very smart to pull this off, and I doubt anyone could compete with this!"

But all I see is a company that has developed a process that's complex, risk-prone and prone to quality-failures. And on top of that it's nearly impossible to figure out where bottlenecks are in the process, and adjusting them throws the entire organization out of wack.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vire posted:

Excuse me sir they are blockers not bottlenecks.

That's another thing I love, as a project manager. When a company starts developing their own jargon for things that probably don't need it. Blockers seems like a fine term in itself, but there's nothing better than trying to get people up to speed on a project and have your company's language be one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

I tried the alpha, it was pretty boring. Funny thing, I recorded some of it with Shadowplay, and the files are labeled "Squadron 42 - Star Citizen".

Um actually if you kept up to date you'd know that the different modules are in different, non-alpha stages.

Player Hangar: pre-beta, 2nd pass, version 3
Arena Commander: post-alpha, amber review status
PU: pseudo-alpha with phased enhancement segmentation
Online pledge donation system: released!!
Online media and community centers: released!!
Ship sales module: closed-beta
Ship Insurance Dealership: closed-alpha
Ship Carwash: proof-of-concept w/ release to premium backers
Ship repo yard for reversed pledges: released!!

Also, all of them are still more robust and complete than any game* I have played in recent years. So please stop trolling and see you in the 'verse!

edit: Star Marine: released!!*

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

poo poo man I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lore behind this space fish 'presentation'

That's a cool looking fish, in my unartistic opinion. What's $1000 UEC worth?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

In the realm of questions I already know the answer to- have they (Ben, Lando, any of the devs) provided any examples of where parts of their development process have accelerated? I know they constantly like to say "things are really picking up!", but is there an activity or activity group in the project they can point to and say "it used to take us X hours to do this design doc, now it takes us 1/2 that!" or something?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

WebDog posted:

Someone was asking why CryEngine was bad?

You have to remember CryEngine started off as an Nvidia funded tech demo called Dino Island which was then further developed into Far Cry, capitalising on Halo's features like limited weapons and vehicles with bouncy suspensions and turrets.
Since then all further iterations of the engine, namely through the Crysis series, has simply been to add more gloss, change the scenery and to live up to it's name of "MAXIMUM GRAPHICS!" that you show off on your sweet new rig.

As a game engine, it's design means it can't do much more than provide pretty vistas for a player with a gun to run around in - and even then that wasn't so slick until UbiSoft refined that in the Dunia engine for the Far Cry sequels.

Asset creation is the engine's downside as much of it relies on keeping to rules which if broken means hours of work can get lost, especially with complexities like mo-cap. Even modders have given up and changed to Unreal as they quickly hit walls as they discover there's no way to really create anything outside the engine's box.
It's why every FarCry game is a new hat as the engine is one precious slowflake - everything in SC is going against the engine's grain and it's not happy.

When you're parrrping about in space, remember you are looking at a world where the land and water has been switched off (it's a toggle in the level setting) and the gravity set to 0 to try and simulate space within a 16km sized box - anything beyond that and the engine will bug out.

That vicious object pop-in you see from quickly moving your head across is likely from the developers being forced to switch off everything that's outside the player's view to keep rendering at some speed - which gives an idea how badly optimised this game engine is - even when it's running with top of the line rigs.

The ships flying apart and bouncing across the world are from each craft being a Chinese puzzle of bounding boxes crossing their streams as they try to accommodate sectional damage effects in a lagging engine. It's why you see destroyed ships drop straight down in space and loose inertia as the game swaps the player model with destroyed parts that don't inherit physics properties of the parent object and revert back to the engine's default physics rules - because that's what the engine tells it to do.

And it's taken them four years to even accept something isn't quite right as they try to solve this Byzantine riddle of physic sub-engines cancelling each other out because something like a gun turret would potentially be too heavy for the ship to lift off or knock off the balance of the ship.

By comparison Unreal and Unity are created as a platform to develop something from the base engine. Each iteration tries to provide more with less; taking into account how people have developed games to prevent less of the stuffups that CIG are having.

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me years ago), but what are the obstacles keeping them from simply designing all the objects at 1/10th or 1/100th their 'actual' size for the purpose of making that 16km box feel like a 160km or 1600km box?

I also like that some of these issues capture the contradiction that sits at the core of Roberts' vision: he wants the game to both be a space dogfighting game, and also he wants realistic physics...in part because some loud group of backers thinks they want them? So you are leaving a bunch of game developers to try and reconcile how to make F-15s work in zero-Gs in a way that is both realistic (they wouldn't) and cinematic (poorly).

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

the Home Alone trap module is working gangbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Moogle posted:

If they're closing things for not understanding development, they also need to close one million accounts, fourteen companies, four studios and Chris Roberts' mouth.

If only there was some way for the most openly developed game ever to somehow separate rumors from facts for its supporters...

• Locked thread