Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

I'd hide/delete my LinkedIn/Facebook page if some weirdos decided to go in to stalker/research mode too. Jesus Christ man, who cares where she went to school?

If she feels the need to lie about her qualifications, it makes it seem that she is in fact not qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It is completely inexplicable to me that a new studio is being built. Like even if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is doing just fine, why would they basically strip-mine the Austin studio to build one in LA....? and if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is totally hosed and out of money, how they can possibly be wasting whatever is left on constructing a studio? There is no level to approach it that makes sense :psyduck:

I think this move has been in the works for a while. If I remember right there was some talk about problems with the contractors. I'd bet that they planned all of this when they thought their revenue stream was more stable (and they want to be a movie studio), and now they are stuck moving into it. It is a huge waste of money, and I'm sure at least a few people in CIG understand that.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I don't think they want to show any real progress (or make any for that matter), because that would ruin the illusion of being the greatest game of all time. Their entire business model is based on people thinking it's going to be the last game they'll ever play, and therefore totally worth spending thousands of dollars on.

Open development would completely ruin this idea for a lot of people (even if it's just that reality can't compare with fantasy). I think CIG has in some ways realized this, and is going to milk this "the game is whatever you want it to be" for as long as possible. I think CIG is in a position were any development they do is most likely going to anger more current backers than entice new ones.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I don't think there are enough potential buyers to fund this "game" even if they could make the BDSSE. That alone should be the biggest red-flag.

If all of these true-believers think it's totally okay and normal for the game to take 5 years to develop, who is going to pay for that?

Do people think that Fallout 4, Halo, or Destiny could have been successfully crowd-funded? A game of this intended scope absolutely needs a publisher in order to be developed. There is no way for CIG to maintain funding until they have an actual feature-complete product.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

For real though Sandi isn't a great person but y'all are calling an agency listing a resume and totally misinterpreting it.

The reason it lists 9 different types of swimming and double counts languages and lists her Australian accent is because when casting agents are looking for people to a play bit characters for a scene where there's a swim meet in Australia, they want to be able to pull a huge file from those search parameters.

I know some of y'all can't be that dumb

So it's like selling something on craigslist? You just throw a bunch of keywords up at the end and hope someone looks at it.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Popular twitch streamer Lirik is trying out the PTU for the first time in front of about 34k people right now.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

And he crashed before he could get to the ship he spawned.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Reminder to watch his FPS and note he has THREE TitanX's and a super nice CPU (He was gifted an 8k computer by a sponsor).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Also, I'm pretty sure the $60 Elite expansion includes the base game (and I think you get a discount if you have the base version so it's not really a $60 DLC).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

For me it was discounted to $45.

It's pretty amusing that asking $45 for already developed additional content to a game is a horrible money-grab, but selling spaceships for hundreds of dollars to fund the development of features for a game that isn't out yet is cool and good.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did find it interesting that Sandi explicitly used the argument that CIG is a private company to justify hiding the financials.

Well of course. It stopped being crowd-funded when the kickstarter ended. They are a fully legitimate jpeg sales company providing a real game you can play. Anyone who gave money to the kickstarter is totally entitled to a refund (as long as they haven't looked at the game since).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I saw this poster at the movies and immediately thought of Star Citizen.

(imagine I photoshoped DS in place of the girl and pgab's dancing cat as the boy)

Can we survive the 5th wave?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

finally found Sandi's account.

Lol no backspace or delete sounds like Sandi writing e-mails.

Derek needs to catch up with the thread and comment on that UK guy's lawsuit.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

That last name rings a bell ? ...................................
Thats right !! he was the chief FO for Gizmondo Manchester when they were wholly owned by the Swedish mafia. And whats that you say ? he is now full time Chief FO for Cloud Imperium games.
What a coincidence that is

This must confirm some sort of previous connection between them. Why would you hire someone with direct ties to a scam like that otherwise?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I watched someone try to stream star citizen the other day for a little bit and they had a pretty horrible time trying to get one ship inside of another. I'm not going to watch the whole thing but I clicked around a bit and he spends pretty much the whole 3 hour stream trying to break the wings off his spaceship and then fly into the loading bay of some other ship. Around 2hrs 40min he almost gets it then the physics freakout and he looks pretty sad.

It looks like the collision boxes do change, but everything is too jittery for things to interact that closely. I have no idea how they are going to get any sort of carrier ship working.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lol, which one of you is I_still_trust_cig?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

As to the August pic with the diplomas, there is some speculation that she's an actress/model, that it may be for stock footage like the kind you see on stock footage sites. Which would explain the lack of visible features on the diploma emblems.

It could also be high school graduation?

What I don't understand about that picture is why she is next to some random guy. He doesn't see like a dean or anything, so if it is a college diploma were they the only two people in the program? I think you're right with the photo shoot speculation. It looks like a stock shot advertising for a photographer.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

What the hell is up with German SC fans, are they all completely insane?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think non consensual pvp is my favorite phrase to come out of this thing.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

darkarchon posted:

Please note that I live in Germany and German SC fanboys are the biggest SC fanboys

Do you have any insight on what makes German's so especially crazy about SC? It seems like the biggest nutjob (Karl et al) supporters are all German.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

It might be the same process but it's not industry standard to wait 2 years before dealing with credit card fraud. There's gotta be a reason for that but like gently caress will Ben have any clue about it he's a forum moderator with a sticker on his shirt that reads "Developer"

I'd guess the reason is the only fraud is on the part of CIG. I'm not sure, but I'd guess the chargeback was done as a last resort by someone who had their legitimate refund request denied. CIG has no excuse for denying the refund in the first place, and trying to squeeze more money out of that whale comes of as extremely desperate. The worst part is he will probably pay up rather than lose some/all of his ships.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

darkarchon posted:

I checked, and the first step is to try to do a resolution with the seller, in this case, Twin Bros GmbH. Guess what, I bet it gets denied there as well. Not sure if I should try it or not. It's only 44€ but still.

I don't know how all that EU stuff works, but you should report them to whatever consumer group is applicable for denying your refund (and being extra scummy about it).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'd say the form threat against doing a chargeback combined with the e-mails to that grey market LTI guy heavily imply that CIG is losing chargeback disputes.

Trying to intimidate people into not getting a refund they deserve is really lovely even for them.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me years ago), but what are the obstacles keeping them from simply designing all the objects at 1/10th or 1/100th their 'actual' size for the purpose of making that 16km box feel like a 160km or 1600km box?

I think you run into the same precision error regardless of scale. So if you make everything tiny, error in you position is more pronounced. I'm not a developer, but I would guess the really important thing is the ratio between the distance that jittering is visible and the overall size of the map.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Social module video someone loaded today.

I never noticed but it's hilarious that they can't get spring and damper rates right for a golf cart, and are supposed to be building actual physics based movement for all of their ships (with real thruster placement and everything).

Although now I'm not sure if that was something CIG said, or something the backers made up because DREAMS HAPPEN.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think some of the bugs we're seeing are going to be essentially unsolvable for CIG.

My bet is that issues like the player glitching out of the ship when <<using>> things never gets fixed, and makes it to release(lol).

I'm also starting to think that SQ42 is going to be Arena Commander based and have none of the PTU stuff (except walking around levels similar to the social module).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I almost felt bad making this, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw those flowers.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Geguri Gegogi posted:

I'd like to build upon this speculation, so Sandi draws an (inflated) salary from CIG, which she then uses a portion of to purchase 'martial-arts for actors' courses as a personal hobby?

Lol, nah, this training is for her upcoming mocap fight scenes in SQ42:2 The Squadining, and all paid for directly from CIG coffers (backer's 'donated' money).

I would say she is almost certainly paying a bunch of money for acting classes, and doing it on the weekend is just another example of her never taking a day off.

I bet it's funny when she goes to her weekend shoots and all the other failed actors are complaining about their lovely day jobs. Then she jumps in her backer funded car and drives to the house they pay for to get ready for another hard week of reading this thread and verbally harassing her employees.

It is also amazing to me that the VP of marketing for a 100+ million dollar company is attempting to use that position to re-start an acting career. To the point that this seems to be what she spends the majority of her time on.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MilesK posted:

Wait.. Did eight ace just confirm money laundering? Why would German bikers and Eastern European militants be obsessed with this stupid game?

I think he was just saying there are a lot of nutjobs who got super into star citizen, and the wulge isn't even the worst of them. DREAMS happened, and any old crazy person can have dreams.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I think it was brought up last thread, but this article about Gizmondo and their horse is probably a glimpse into star citizen.

quote:

"That was the least expensive thing, I think, of all of it," says Carl Freer.

What a lot of it there was. Luxury yachts and Rolex watches. Ferraris, modelling agencies and million-pound salaries. A launch party headlined by Sting. A £2 million investment in a development studio that never produced a single game.

Freer isn't talking about any of that. He's talking about a racehorse. Its name was Gizmondo.

I wonder of citizens somehow helped pay for star citizen (the horse), or if it's the Gizmondo/mafia connection, or just a hilarious coincidence.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It looks like that horse training company went under too. Their website's main page is basically just a sales listing for their only property with a link to this marketing brochure. The real estate company doesn't have a listing for them so I think it already sold.

Interesting note they don't list Star Citizen on their page of sold or evaluated horses.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 18, 2016

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

CF Farms started in 2002, and is currently inactive.
http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Irvine/cf-farms-inc/35000277.aspx

On the CF Farms website it lists the facility as being for sale. Archive.org indicates it's been for sale since at least 2010, and there is a good chance that the website is abandoned and the facility sold.

I was looking at this a little yesterday, and I really want to know the story behind Star Citizen the horse.

In 2002 the horse breeding/training company CF Farms is founded (they don't seem to work with racing horses at all). I'm not sure if Roberts was involved from the beginning or if he joined later. It looks like the company went under and the ranch was sold in 2010.

Star Citizen the horse was born in Feb 2012, so if it isn't related to Croberts at all then it is a complete coincidence. Derek has suggested that Roberts was broke when the project began so I find it hard to believe he was buying a racehorse. Then again there were some interesting tidbits when looking at the pedigrees for Star Citizen and Gizmondo. I thought I found something with the sire of Star Citizen, but now I'm not sure. That horse was bred at "Greenburg Stables Ltd." in KY, but I can't find anything online about them. The only thing that shows up is a breeding company suspiciously near the closed down CF Farms that was opened the same year CF shut down. I don't really think these are related, but it was a strange coincidence. There was also another horse named Star Citizen born in 2006 that seems to be a complete coincidence (it's name is a combination of it's parents names).

Gizmondo and Star Citizen(2012) also share some ancestors. I have no idea if that means anything, but I thought it was funny and apt. Please Eight ace tell us the story of Star Citizen (the horse) I really want to know.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

So I know most of you probably don't care, but I think I have learned all I can about the horse Star Citizen.

In 2012 a horse with very fine breeding was born in Great Britain. This un-named colt was then put up for sale in October 2013. At this point I'm almost sure Chris has nothing to do with this horse.

This young colt being very well breed and at a distinguished event brought a lot of attention. Particularly from the prime minister of the UAE. Here is a little quote from the Tattersalls October 2013 summary about the purchase.

Tattersalls posted:

Sheikh Mohammed’s bloodstock advisor John Ferguson sent to 160,000 guineas to secure the NEW APPROACH colt out of the Group placed FASLIYEV mare FASLEN, consigned by Peter Stanley’s New England Stud. The February-born colt was bred by Paddy Barrett, who was at Park Paddocks to watch his yearling sell.

There are a few interesting tid-bits in all of this. First, This horse was bought around the time the original kickstarter began, and was not named at the time of purchase. Second, a significant amount of money was spent on this horse (more than 3 times the average for the day).

This leads me to some educated guesses. I don't believe that Chris was involved with this horse at all now. It looks to me like the Sheikh first heard of star citizen the game just before or just after buying the horse. The fact that the horse was not named until after the kickstarter makes me think that UAE royal family is invested in star citizen (the game). Seeing that this horse cost them about $230,000 and has only made $50,000 in winnings it's probably only the second worst star citizen labeled investment they have made.

tldr; Sheik Mohammed of the UAE bought and named Star Citizen the horse. He has almost certainly wasted a bunch of money on it as well as the non-game star citizen. I would probably be more worried about pissing them off than eastern Eurpoeans, but at least they probably don't care about the money.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So it's actually just a massive coincidence that Chris Roberts also owns a stable? That's honestly even more :psyduck:

It really does seem like it. The stable Roberts was involved in worked mainly with rodeo horses and closed two years before the horse Star Citizen was born. There seems to be no connection between that farm and the place that bred the horse. I also saw nothing to link Roberts to any trainers or breeders involved.

That horse was then sold for $230,000 un-named to the UAE royal family were all evidence points to them naming it after a video game. This is real life.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nation posted:

there is no way crobbers is breeding race horses, if there is an angle it's probably some betting thing.
Yeah, I don't think he's involved in breeding at all. I don't even think he was involved with the other ranch in any real capacity. I would be pretty willing to believe that once Chris found out about the horse he put some fairly big bets on it. If he did it was almost certainly with money he paid himself and not backer funds directly. So it's mostly funny to think about in the sense of all of these people throwing money away on another disappointing thing named Star Citizen.

MilesK posted:

Didn't someone once determine like most of the RSI website traffic was coming from the Middle East? Or was that bull poo poo, can't remember anymore.

I remembered this being true as well, but I don't know for sure.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lime Tonics posted:

Can someone turn :26~:29 seconds in this video into a gif please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhoHbf_ztns&feature=youtu.be

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lime Tonics posted:

Thank you,

PLOP, bounce, crabs legs , I can't stop laughing like an idiot.

I like how he suddenly is affected by gravity and falls out of space.

And I just used giphy.com to make this. All you have to do is put in the youtube url and set the time.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RabbitWizard posted:

o9

0.001 hours thinking "hey a word cloud of this thread would be nice"
0.5 hours waiting to download all pages
0.25 hours cleaning up html files that only the text in posts and quotes remains
1.0 hours trying to find a wordcloud-generator that can deal with a lot of text without crashing browser/application
0.75 hours looking for a way to just count the appearances of words to get the top 500 or something and reduce filesize

I learned a lot, but give up for today. One webpage and OpenOffice are still frozen trying to open the file. If anyone is interested to continue before I'll get to it in "a while", here's all the text goons produced on the first 2067 pages in a 17MB text file (posts in non-specific order).
http://starbutt.hol.es/outputfile.txt

I found a matlab program that does word clouds and might take try making one later this week if I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I did a thing instead of working on any of the stuff I need to do.

Realistic physics and explosions! (planetary landing coming soon we swear)

Party system working as intended.

Immersion!

Fidelity!

I apologize for the post of giant gifs.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread