Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Cool Stuff

People Fired/Quit

Sarsapariller posted:

Executive Producer Eric Peterson leaves - Just didn't want to change locations! Simple as that.

Executive Producer Alex Mayberry leaves - People change jobs! Fact of life!

Associate Producer Travis Day leaves - It's fine! Everything is fine!

Concierge Customer support Chelsea Day leaves - Well naturally she wanted to go work with him! That's normal!

Community Manager James Pugh leaves - Turnover is a regular occurrence at major development studios!

Associate Marketing Producer Alyssa Delhotal leaves - Just a- just a normal set of coincidences!

Production Coordinator Lisa Ohanian leaves - Probably just wasn't very good at the job!

The entire Foundry 42 character design team quits - Couldn't keep up with Chris's vision!

DevOps Engineer Jeffrey Parker/ Lead Character Artist David Jennison/Senior Gameplay Programmer Tom Davis/Senior 3D Artist Paul Forgy leave on the same day - Just right-sizing the company!

Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy leaves - I SAID EVERYTHING IS FINE

Austin Team gets laid off exactly as predicted, months ago, but denied by CIG - WHY ARE YOU SPEWING GARBAGE DON'T BE A SENSATIONALIST

joats fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Intense Gameplay!

Realistic Weapon Handling!

Tacticol Positioning!

Buzzword!

joats fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

These were made by SC FANS! Not SA shitposters. Is your mind blown?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Maldoror posted:

The 93 million dollars is what they say they got.

Would they have any reason to lie? Could it be more or less than that, and would they have an advantage to lying about what they actually received from backers?

Wouldn't the government take out some of it? I don't know how much because I never did anything like this.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Dolvak is no longer moderator of /r/starcitizen NVM missread that or he just got added again, but some of his quotes are in star citizen without the moderator symbol.

I don't understand how reddit displays moderators. :shrug:
Anyways still a moderator of r/starcitizen no longer a mod of /r/DerekSmart

quote:

NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN. I LEFT OF MY OWN WILL AND WAS NOT ASKED OR PROMPTED TO BY ANYONE. I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING IN BT'S POST HISTORY LIKE THAT SO I DON'T THINK SO. ANYWAYS THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY.

quote:

I STEPPED DOWN AFTER BEING DOXED. NOT GOING TO SUBJECT MYSELF TO THE DRAMA. GOING TO ATTEMPT TO ACTIVELY AVOID IT. SHOULD BE BETTER FOR EVERYONE.

joats fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Vire posted:

You know it's serious because it's in all caps. Is this the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and hoping all the bad things go away because you can't see them anymore?

To be fair, that quote is from the star citizen rant thread where everyone is required to type in all caps or be punished.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3q7egx/rantteam_bonding_thread_9th_edition/

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

TTerrible posted:

That didn't last long?

Yeah IDK, 4 hours ago it seems like he wasn't because his name wasn't "moderator" green with an (M) next to it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3q7egx/rantteam_bonding_thread_9th_edition/cwd0s80

I have no idea how reddit works. But names sometimes look like mods and sometimes don't?

But yeah I hosed up.

joats fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Karl_Ramseier posted:

I bought Line of defence yesterday and hell, that's a mess. I reported it to steam as scam and reported Steam/valve to the german " Verbraucherzentrale" for not pulling it out of EA.

Oh No!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Value in relation to games is a topic that is not discussed often. When it does come up it however can be interesting. For example, Tony Hawk 5 is marketed at $60. Many people however agree that the true value of the game is more around $5 or less due to the bugs, boring atmosphere, and broken gameplay. The game being marketed at $60 is thus viewed as "disgusting" and "a way to cash in on nostalgia".

Is the value of Star Citizen worth $50 per ship?

joats fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Amun Khonsu posted:

WTF are we looking at here?

My Little Ponly Live Action

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Ok, now I'm on board.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
The FPS module in progress.

Intense Gameplay!

Realistic Weapon Handling!

Tacticol Positioning!

Buzzword!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Beet Wagon posted:

Eh, they're more likely to say "That isn't the FPS module" which is technically true. I mean it's still poo poo, just... different poo poo.

Still part of the foundation for it.

This was the current state of the game back in August 1.1.6 patch.
Source - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynFb8hRGkQ

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

MeLKoR posted:

You know you can say "loving idiot" right? Only wageslave workpoors get the word filter.

gently caress

tee hee :blush:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Imagine what "No Man's Sky" could do with 100 million.

joats fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
It would be cool if the financials were released and we found out that they splerged all the money on non game stuff. You know, that's the point of getting a bunch of money. However, the backers would defend it with excuses like "oh we knew the risks" and "not all the money I pledged had to go towards the product being advertised, Croberts gotta eat."

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
We live in a world where the "Idea Man" can get rich. 10 years ago, the idea man was laughed out of the industry.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The first game I can think of that really pushed that term as one of their big selling points was Hellgate: London. Funny that.

I don't remember Hellgate: London having any procedural generation. Hellgate: London didn't have true FPS elements either, but It called it'self an FPS Hybrid. It was more like right clicking from a distance since you could still "miss" if you were shooting at something with a gun from point black range and the dice roll game up 1.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
There is a difference between proceduraly generated and taking individual items or sets from a list and distributing them randomly or according to a formula.

Torchlight, spelunky, diablo, terraria, starbound and others take blocks of tiles like 20X20 and the designer hand paints or fleshes those blocks out. Then they are distributed randomly (or by formula) in the game to create a psudo proceduraly generated map that still has designed elements to it.

Pure proceduraly generated design is just a chaotic art piece.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

LuiCypher posted:

You mean like how Chris Roberts got laughed out of the movie industry for Wing Commander?

No, I mean like it's been made easier for some no name dude to pitch a loving grand idea with a couple of pictures or something and get some amount of money from suckers. Because Chris Roberts has a history in the industry actually makes it worse.

And the best way to get money from suckers is to tickle their nostalgia bone. Do you remember so and so from the past? Well just give me a bit of your money and that thing that you used to enjoy could come back and be better than it was.

Most successful kickstarters are not for some new idea. It's selling that nostalgia. Either this producer used to work for blah and he wants to bring blah back. gently caress remember blah! And it works, because we enjoyed it and we want more of it, but god damnit. Don't purchase chickens when they are still in the egg, because there is no guarantee that they are going to hatch.

joats fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Paladinus posted:

The cosmic beauty. It burns my eyes and it melts my brain. I am one with space now. Star Citizen. Star Citizen. All praise Star Citizen. My body shall perish, but my soul shall live on in the 'verse.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

SelenicMartian posted:

DS should make an internet warlording wargame 'Derek Smart's Battle of the Wulge'.

I would buy this. Just replace galaxies with websites and planets with usernames. How much of the internet can you conquer! Datamine, and Doxx for resources. Craft those resources into legal threats!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

alphabettitouretti posted:

Now I ain't no game developin' type guy but "Lead technical Designer" sounds pretty important.

I heard that he said he wasn't gonna shave his pubes for no shave november and Sandi was all like "Waaaaaaaaaa?"

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Well, I think now is the best time to invest.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

So, people saying poo poo and loving are writing those out? Or, there is a word filter I can turn on? It looks fun.

Click here to make your wildest dreams come true!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Moving locations worked out for Starbound.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Young Freud posted:

It also depends on whether or not it looks polished or not. The concept artists and production artists will likely include their SC work in their portfolio, since it helped sell the game (in more ways than one :v:). The rest of the production staff, however, will likely have a single line on their CV and that'll be it.

Whoever did the space ships will be hired right away. It's really the only reason the game has sold at all.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Sarsapariller posted:

Executive Producer Eric Peterson

Executive Producer Alex Mayberry

Associate Producer Travis Day

Concierge Customer support Chelsea Day

Community Manager James Pugh

Associate Marketing Producer Alyssa Delhotal

Production Coordinator Lisa Ohanian

DevOps Engineer Jeffrey Parker

Lead Character Artist David Jennison

Senior Gameplay Programmer Tom Davis

Senior 3D Artist Paul Forgy

Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy

*The entire F42 character design team*

I added this to the first page of the thread.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

AP posted:

You should have seen the walk before Chris Roberts had them replace the avatar skeleton 8 times.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

kordansk posted:

I don't think so, no. Remember we aren't employees there. It is a different dynamic from what we see on the outside. It's easy for us to step back and look at the situation and be like, 'WHAT THE gently caress, WHY DON'T YOU RUN" but they still need income. I wouldn't fault someone staying at a paying job utilizing their abilities while looking for a new place of employment. I think it would make for an interesting interview though.

Yes, i think it's just the employees taking advantage of knowing that their boss has 43 million in paycheck money to hand out. They are just doing business till something else comes along that can be a bit more long term because this project is reaching the halfway/end mark.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Furious Mittens posted:

Where's that $43 million figure coming from? Granted, I've been away from the thread since last Friday so I may have missed something.

We don't have any information on how much backer money is left, however they have raised over 90 million from the kickstarter and ship jpegs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit

quote:

LIVE STATUS

Current Pledge Amount

$93,757,553

Increase in pledge amount since Kickstarter campaign ended

$87,518,990
"Average Pledge/Day
Since Grace Period End"

$81,709.15
Average Pledge/Day - Full Campaign
$84,434.50
Middle Quartiles Average (ALT1)
$48,006.50
Trimmean 10% Average (ALT2)
$70,346.60
Total Pledge Amount 2014-01-01
$ 35,672,435
Total Pledge Amount 2015-01-01
$ 68,590,679
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016.01.01 on average daily

$99,686,855
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (ALT1)

$96,986,735
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (ALT2)

$98,505,862
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (Linear Regression)

$98,528,930

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I am the guy in the loft across the street, banging my GF and playing games that exist.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

fuctifino posted:

I'm the black person.

Where?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

fuctifino posted:

It's like playing Where's Waldo...

There is one in the first picture, center top. The one with all the light on him.

TBH most of the 3 black people were moved to headquarters to be on vlogs with Sandi.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Derek fix your loving OP!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

BeefThief posted:

If CIG doesn't start selling more jpgs they're going to run out of money!

I think it costs them $150k/day (8 hours x 261 FTE x ~$72/hr) in staff

But they are still making 30 thousand a day, even without a product. People are literately just stopping by and giving money to them.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is there a quick 'what the gently caress is going on' primer somewhere? Because seriously what the gently caress is going on?

Like, there was gonna be a spaceship game and now everyone's pissed off?

Everything is fine Citizen.

Off to SPAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEE!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

peter gabriel posted:

It's me all along, I am:

Dik Wulf
Chris robots
Derek

And more.

Wow you had me convinced it was all different people. You should go into theater.

Fix the lame rear end OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

jabro posted:

Anyone interested in an Aurora? Never been used. Been sitting in a virtual hanger.

Can I see a picture of it?

• Locked thread