Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

I mean I guess it's technically leather

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Because of this stupid loving thread, google now thinks I'm a star citizen fan and is showing me news articles about this game god loving dammit I hate all of you

I feel ya buddy.

You watch one video making fun of MRAs, and suddenly youtube thinks that I would be very interested in seeing the complete works of Thunderf00t every time I visit.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The one bright spot in my day as I wearily scroll past the suggested fascist screeds that youtube offers me, is me realizing that at least I'm not the guy posting in this thread that molests 11-year old relatives.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Well, given that they've offered ingame rewards, for advertising this non-game to other gamers that are not yet Star Citizens and in their cult-like manner, it's not just a *feeling* of a pyramid scheme. By this point it is a completely honest-to-goodness one, as admitted by CIG themselves!

Yeah, it takes some serious balls to roll out a massive referral scheme when you are selling something that does not yet exist.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Pissing about making emotes before making a core game seems stupider.

Isn't that a pretty common disease when you have lovely project management? Focus on small, inconsequential poo poo that is easy to produce and looks flashy (emotes, skins, buggies etc) that you can point to and say "Hey, we're making progress!" while your core gameplay systems that you are to incompetent to make lies rotting by the wayside?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

tri-gendered pyrofox

Reported for stealing my OC.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lock up your children.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

poo poo, you want to talk disappointment? How about the turn Halo took after MS bought them out and it went from a free-roam sandbox on the ring to the linear slugfest that released on the xbox. You were originally supposed to be able to fly/drive everything and there were easily half a dozen more vehicles planned than what came in the release. That was one of the first games I ever obsessed over during it's development phase.

Yeah, I remember. As a Mac user back then, you were desperate for anything at all to play, and here Bungie promised us the world.

Maybe it was for the best though? Would Halo have been stuck in the SC limbo if MS hadn't bought it and slashed and burned?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Kraiklyn, after "talking to Patrick about my case" since I spent a few emails arguing with Patrick about his math.
With that in mind, was Halo designated multi-platform or just Mac? The first article I ever saw was written post RTS days and talked about fighting a guerilla style war against the covenant on the ring. It was in a PC Gamer (Or whatever pc gaming magazine was the go-to mag back in 1999/2000) I'd picked up from a friends house.

I remember it being Mac exclusive at one point, which led to a lot of shameful crowing on my part to my friends in school about how the best game ever was coming to Mac, and that never more would they laugh at me while playing the latest games on their PCs.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

We'd love to refund you but the refund guy broke his rectum in a dragon dildo accident and is off for the next two weeks

I would guess that a Venn diagram of Bad Dragon customers and hard core SC fans would overlap quite a bit.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

1500 posted:

You really can't stop with the BS can you. I mean really how pathetic can you get, if your argument is so week, and you are so butthurt about FD, that you have to resort to this poo poo why are you even posting? You have been crying about refunds for pages now, I mean really, do we need to get the doll were FD touched you, would that help move on? Has no one validated your feelings, said poor boy to you, perhaps you need a hug?

its sad really don't know what a lie is, and you think everyone is protected by the same laws. Two things that I would expect an education system to teach, but there are always the few that fall through, and are unable to learn anything. I am sorry an education system failed you, or you failed it.

If this is a Seraph impersonation it's a pretty weak one.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

For gently caress's sake just stop

No, let him keep digging.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

In reality, they only made 17 million. They have 1 programmer, 2 artists and Gary Oldman. :v:

That Gary Oldman has so convincingly played the parts of both of the fictional characters "Chris Roberts" and "Sandi Gardiner-Roberts" is just proof of the man's excellent acting ability.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

Those of you (looking at Loiosh) who want a :sperg: simulation with 80 page manuals. Look no further than Rogue System

Because you're in over your head if you think SC is going to provide a tactical simulation beyond anything out there. If you compare the new UI stuff CIG posted, there's literally nothing interesting in that UI that you can't do in E:D.

Oh, I'll have to check that out.

I'm actually also one of those people who occasionally enjoy a good complex sim. I'm (slowly) trying to learn to fly and manage systems in Falcon BMS 4.33, and I fire up a flight of the A-10C Warthog in DCS once in a while. Learning systems can be fun.

But SC, bless its little black heart, appears to be complex just as a surface veneer. What I've tried is no more complex in reality than Elite, just obfuscated a bit more.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

Do you work in one of those schools where they jack the students up to the mains when they get a question wrong or something?

Milgram Memorial High School

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

What is gameplay? I've watched about several hours of people running through some corridors and clipping through ships at this point, but I still have no idea what this game is supposed to be.

It's whatever you can imagine! That's the draw of this game, since they never explain anything it is everything to everyone simultaneously.

But yeah, I agree that there are glimpses of fun and good gameplay in what I've seen of 2.0. But can anyone honestly claim that it's 15000$ gameplay? Or 5000$ gameplay? Even 250$ gameplay? I would probably spend 24.99 if it was something that was just released on early access for Steam or something. But there's no loving way that the people who spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on it will get anything amounting to their money's worth. But oh, they'll tell themselves they've have.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

Ah yes 60 hours with little to no progression. This will surely not drive anyone but the most insane people away.

And yet they keep claiming that SC is not pay to win. Anyone see the disconnect here?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Seriously a 60 hour head-start on progression in an MMO is not pay to win. What would be pay to win would be a ship that is exclusive to backers.

I'll post my thoughts again, to make the point clearer: There's a serious balancing problem with the value of ships that CR has brought onto himself.

Either they'll make the ships attainable through doable grinding. This means, due to people being the way they are, that within a few days of release people who payed the bare minimum to get into the game will be riding around in ships that whales have been paying thousands of dollars for. This will make whales extremely unhappy.

Or, the big ships will be nearly unattainable for anyone but the most insane. Whales will be happy, but the game will be blatantly pay to win (or at least, pay to gain massive advantages).

e:

Seriously, if you sell something for 2.500 loving united states dollars, you attach a certain notion of value onto it.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Any ship that you get is a token gift to you for donating money for them, whoever doesn't agree with this is an idiot.

I know that this is the "official" reasoning, but it is complete bullshit.

People aren't "donating", they are buying ships. They are blatantly buying ships. Look at the marketing. The sales. The web-store. The people bragging about their purchases. CIG can claim all the way that it is friendly donations with token gifts as thanks, just as you say above, but we know it ain't true.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lotta donating going on here. No selling of ships, no siree. I almost thought I visited UNICEFs homepage by mistake at first.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who is going to spend $200 on a membrane keyboard from Madcatz.

Also gonna buy that War Pack. With VAT it comes in at only $6,000 and I think you'll agree that is a steal for all those jpegs.

At least the VAT goes towards funding healthcare that these people will need after they gently caress up killing themselves when this whole thing founders.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Long unskippable animations for ~immersion~ are cool and make you go whoa. For the first one or two times. Then you start mashing the buttons in the vain hope of skipping them, and you tear out your hair when someone kills you while you are stuck in an artisinal bespoke getting off the toilet animation.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The ESPER scenes from the new Blade Runner looking good.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Also how does piracy work when you can literally just let your buddy take your ship then get a new one via LTI?

No you see CIG will hire people who will work as insurance investigators. Auditors, if you will.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

Also was the German auditor a financial auditor or a Tom cruise auditor

Hey now, according to Chris Roberts all of our bodies are infested with Smarthans, and we need to rid ourselves of them through an act of financial purification.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

Somehow, this song seems right for this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/logicalsabotage/carol-of-the-bells-airhorn-edition

let the Parp flow through you.

I've always been a fan of the old Crimson Haze theme, as representing SC. We were robbed of that game :(

http://tindeck.com/listen/spwx

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2015

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The more I re-read the Crimson Haze thread I'm actually struck with the similarites to SC. Was bestow CR undercover, all along?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Space libertarianism. "It's a free market buddy, if you got screwed over by me you should have been more careful! What, you're screwing me over? NAP NAP NAP!"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just rehashing here, but I'm laughing out loud right now at the thought of people spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their space-based rape dungeons, furiously masturbating fantasizing about all the things they are going to do to when the game is released, but being so afraid of goons that they won't take them out of the hangar.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm having a real hard time keeping up with all the new cult terminology, but what the gently caress is "unmelt"? I get that melting is turning ships* into store credit to buy other ships**, but how do you unmelt? You turn store credit into ships? Isn't that what, you know, a store does anyway?

*Ships that most likely does not exist other than as jpgs

**Likely newer ships that only exists as coke flashes in Croberts mind

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Leaked images of the new procedurally generated planets, plus new NPCs.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A good game designer knows what is essential to retain in order for the player to be immersed, and what is just a hassle and a time steal.

Good flight models and well-implemented physics are essential for immersion. ~High-fidelity~ unskippable animations to get up, sit down, open doors, climb ladders etc are a hassle and a time waster. They look impressive the first time, then the next time the player will be banging on his keyboard to skip them. Walking everywhere? Hoo boy. I'll admit, I've tried to do that in MMOs or RPGs to "roleplay" a bit. It's fun, for like 10 seconds and then you realize that you are walking for the sake of walking in a goddamn videogame and you start sprinting to get where you need to be to actually play the game and have fun.

Point is, Crobberts and his fans are incapable of distinguishing between the two.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you printed the entire thread out, it would maybe come up to half the size of the SQ42 script!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barnsy posted:

All these wankers should be forced to play an hour of DCS and try and start and take-off a plane (say the A-10) from cold & dark (takes ~15 mins). We'll see how they really like not skipping through steps...

Hey hey, it's only around 8 minutes if you have an effective checklist and start the EGI-alignment as soon as you've got APU power.

:goonsay:

As a side note on open development, I read the Elite Dangerous newsletter that I received yesterday, and I see multi-crew, an in-depth avatar maker, crafting and a few other things. And not only do I believe that these things actually exist as something other than fevered dreams, I believe that they will be delivered in a reasonable time frame. The mood at CIG must be akin to late april '45 in the Führer bunker as every sales point SC has is rapidly being overtaken by competitors that actually make playable games and not tech-demos.

To compare and contrast the respective newsletters from Frontier and RSI/CIG is an enlightening exercise in what "open development" really is. The RSI newsletters are all gloss and sales, lofty goals translated into fancy words that reveal nothing about mechanics or gameplay. The Frontier ones often go into nitty-gritty detail of behind the scenes mechanics, numbers and formulas that affect gameplay, balance discussions and so forth. It's really quite staggering, what SC people delude themselves into thinking when they coin SC the "most open development ever."

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know, I really thought we peaked with Beer's emails. I mean, like the Ross trial and CMFIV in the bitcoin thread, surely nothing could be funnier from now on?

Then comes CIG with the ground breaking tactic of simply deleting their entire CS backlog. My jaw just hit the floor.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The brazil.txt of the SC thread.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I wanted to get with that earlier when we were talking about Star Marine. CRob is adamant about that holo-emitter being a real gamechanger, since he brought it up in that "COD killer" article as well as in the last Star Marine demo. The thing is that we've had stuff like that in games like Duke Nukem 3D before and you can see stuff similar in theory to it in games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 when players make decoy sprays of Spies and Snipers. poo poo, it looks like Halo 3 has had hologram drops. It's not that big of a deal

I know we joke around about it, but it really does seem like it all comes down to CR not having played a game or even looked at one since his glory days. He comes up with these brilliant new features, not realizing that they have been around in games for years and years, or have been discarded as bad ideas already by the industry.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

The first Aliens vs Predator game has a game mode that comes close.
Its called Survival, and you and your mates play Marines stuck in a bunker. And the objective is to survive for as long as possible against the AI Aliens.
gently caress it was amazing back in the day. Aliens could get through windows and there was so little room in the bunker itself, but if coordinated you could prevent them reaching you.

Played the gently caress outta that game mode on LANs with buddies back in the day. It also had pretty much the best flamethrower ever made in a video game. Until Return to Castle Wolfenstein came, that is.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I played some turned-based squad strategy WH 40k game on PC and loved it as a kid. Anyone have any idea what it was, it was probably in the late 90s.

There was one called Chaos Gate, with a isometric perspective. You controlled a squad of marines and there were inventory and rpg-light elements. Very good game, but impossible to get to run on even a semi-recent OS.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Underwhelmed posted:

GOGs ha you covered, that version runs fine on my Windows 10 machine

Oh, that's nice! It's one of those games I always wanted to replay but was never able to due to not having a Win95 machine lying around just for that.

e: There were some real nice Warhamz Fantasy games as well. Dark Omen still holds up as a great game, and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

• Locked thread