Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I normally don't post a lot, but have been following this and the former thread since August, since this trainwreck is just so entertaining. But I did comment earlier in Chalkyj's reddit thread about his ban. And the amount of SC backers who think the ToS means that CIG don't have to follow European Law is insane. I just don't get why these people will defend a company that breaks the law by denying refunds.

I know the community is toxic as poo poo and that sunk cost fallacy might play a huge role, but what gets you to the point, where you think a company not following the law is a good thing and that you as consumer should defend it vehemently?. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

What exactly is chair gate

I don't know how you guys keep up with this thread. If you aren't putting in guild raid time into it daily then you are off the train completely and when you skip to the last page it's like rip can winkle except the flying cars are still blowing up in mid air because "two weeks"

Can someone like gorf summarize main happenings every week or so that way we have someone who :justpost:s we can follow

The Xian scout was advertised as a two seat ship and sold for $150,-
it recently became hangar ready but only had one seat. A concern thread about this was made and Ben promised to investigate what had happened, since he as the master of ships apparently wasn't aware of the change. The thread was later deleted and the op banned, with no explanation. The ship page was changed to say it had one seat and the ship art was sort of covered, so it became harder to see the two seats.

Ben and Jared did an awkward segment on their latest live-stream, where Ben basically said that one unnamed technician had changed it without letting anybody know and no one noticed this while getting the ship hangar ready.

p-gabz did a fun little video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C63xAvSQLI

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But he also mentions the Warsaw uprising, and then says no one else had the balls to do that. Which is just :psyduck:

Every part of it reads like a typical far-right national revisionist history.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wooten posted:

You would think people who have spent hundreds of dollars getting banned for asking innocent question would be enough to make the faithful question the legitimacy of the whole organization. Internet drama has burned poo poo to the ground over a lot less.

I honestly gave up on SC-Backers logic when several of them told me, that you where not entitled to refunds, despite the European consumer laws saying so and that CIG did not have to deliver any finished game at all. Regarding the scout and other ships that have changed, a lot them really believe the defence, that the game is in alpha and things are subject to change, makes it completely okay for CIG to do these things.
I can't thing of any other game or product where I have seen the consumers defend the company breaking consumer laws and outright lying to them.

I mean they released a video where Croberts says he gets annoyed with people asking for a promised gamemode and one where Ben calls Cutlass owners who complain for dinks.

Though these things have woken some backers up, these same backers tend to get banned fairly quickly, when they start asking critical questions.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Okay serious?
This is an actual dev response?

HOW? I... gently caress.

This is CIG in a nutshell and I love the vocal backers actually buy this excuse. I think all of us here knows that for any project big or small, videogame making or not, a roadmap is one of the first things you should make, but not in CIGs case and apparently not a lot of their backers.

I feel fairly sure saying that a lot of CIG's developers would probably love a roadmap and some clear goals. Which makes me wonder what they fear most. Crobberts coming over to micromanage them or Crobberts doing yet another 104C, promising new insane features, that the have to drop whatever they were working on, to start on.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Star Citizen is better than any AAA game. I mean just look at all the things you can do, like moving a vending machine to an asteroid or moving a vending machine on top of a space station or moving a vending machine...gently caress it, best game ever.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

G0RF posted:

What is the time stamp for the Star Citizen section? I missed it but I want to watch it so I can miss it again on an actual stream.

Roughly 2h30min in

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Holy poo poo they didn't show a second of it. I hope it's things like this that start the revolt moving even faster. They can pull this stuff on their own shows that only the hopelessly invested and goons watch, but they're not going to get way with it for long at mainstream events

Yeah and it really stands out when every other company had gameplay to show. So now they have had like three different gaming-magazines visiting them without showing them any gameplay and now a lifeshow where they send someone to just talk about the game. I really hope the gaming media starts to pick up on this and that the backers with any sense left starts to question this shitshow.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

What's the drink mixing game? And before you answer that let me just strap myself into my chair here

It's one of the minigames you can play if you fly or crew a passanger transport spaceship. So learn to mix a perfect Hairy Roberts

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14804-Design-Civilian-Passenger-Transport

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Wasn't that the same place where they said you also had to manually select IFE movies for each passenger and could also find new movies to play out in the field?

Yes it was.

Star citizen crazy talk posted:

Movies are even more distinctive. Every Passenger Transport has a MovieBank in its hardware room – next to the ICES blades – that can store a fixed number of movies and that makes them available to passengers via their ICES projector. Movies are classified as either classic or modern, and all have a popularity rating that denotes how attractive they are to travelers as an entertainment option. The popularity of a modern movie declines over time, so that reliance upon them means continually seeking out newer releases and updating your library. Classic movies retain their popularity in perpetuity, but finding one that’s extremely popular is much more difficult.

It opens so many questions, like how do you get new movies? and how do you find rare movies? will someone produce movies in the verse? It's just so insane

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 10, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

On my starliner, flying from port Olisar to the 4th stimpire, we will only show the best of Fuzzy Modems movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEasNqCmjmE

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the "fixed" amount of movies. I would think that by the year 2900 whatever, storage capacity would be at the point this shouldn't even be an issue.

like so much else in star citizen, 900 years in the future is apparently behind WW II technology. If SC was a good game and thought out, they would have some lore explanation for why you have to manually fly ships, control a single turret or change the movie on. The could have gone the warhammer 40k route of looked at Dune, but as far as I know, there is no ingame reason for the almost complete lack of sophisticated AIs.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sundowner posted:

maybe i'm stupid but i just can't understand this uh, logic.

1. i don't understand why he thinks it's okay to have to download 30gb of the same bullshit every new update and 2. why he thinks that if he's convinced he's having a positive experience then that means everything is okay.

this is the SC equivalent of "maybe the game just isn't for you" when people try and complain about any issues in Elite D. i love ED but the game has flaws and trying to discuss that with people (usually on reddit) almost always begins or ends with the objector telling you the game "just isn't for you".

if i think everything is okay, then everything is okay. if you can't see everything is okay well then maybe you just don't understand game development.

Trying to have a discussion on reddit is usually futile, regardless the subject. But the SC subreddit seems worse than most. You literally can't voice any criticism without downvoting and being accused of being Derek Smart. Even former employees critic like David Jannisons letter, Lizzy Finnengans article and the recent interview with Rod Iriving, is somehow Derek Smart and can therefore be ignored.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

D_Smart posted:

Define "gets it".

You are reading the same thread, right? That being the case, did you clearly - and conveniently - miss the part where they really thought I had actually straight up doxed a war vet?

Or the part where they actually thought the person behind the troll account was my nephew (Ricky. lol!!)? That despite the fact that I had blocked that person weeks ago because he's an annoying poo poo.

Or the part where, after reading about it here, it finally dawned on them that I had outed a troll account?

If you missed all the above clues, then sorry to say, you're just as clueless as they are.

It's called a reverse troll.

Never change Dr. Smart, never change. :allears:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Chalks posted:

I'm surprised nobody just unironically tells him the real reason they can't give any dates as if it's a good thing.

When the scope and requirements of the project are completely fluid and nobody is working on anything in particular towards any specific deadline, nobody knows when anything is going to be done. They're not hiding dates from us, they genuinely don't have to give because they have no idea what they're doing. It's like asking someone lost in a jungle how long it'll take them to get home.

And this is good for bitcoin star citizen because

You got to remember the entire gaming industry is against SC for some reason + the something awful goons.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I love that their is no real way to report this to kickstarter unless you are the original copyright holder. Or comment on the project unless you back it. It just seems made for scams

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Risc1911 posted:

While i do kinda agree there is a reason only the Copyright holder can report. Only the copyright owner can press charges, you can not sue in place of someone else. You can't sue on behalf of your neighbour or Disney. The legal system is based on damages (harm physical or financial) and if you have not been damaged you got no legal ground to stand on. There are exceptions when you are a legal guardian or in which the state/government can sue on behalf of the victims.

Kickstarter is doing this because even if someone claims this is copyright by someone else, they can't act upon it until the copyright owner comes froward himself. Also reduces support, naturally.

Yeah I know and I can understand why kickstarter does it that way. But I still think that there should be some way to report such flagrant plagiarism as this case without being a copyright holder or a report obvious scam option. Same with commenting on a project, I can't really see the reason for why only backers can comment on a project. I guess it's to avoid having to moderate comments from trolls, spammers etc. but it means you have to pledge money to a scammer to call him out.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

You can report a Kickstarter if the creator or backer is breaking one of their community guidelines. How is this relevant? I'm glad you asked.

Report away.

e: There's also "False claims. Creators cannot present facts or biographical details in a false or misleading way." I'd say claiming that copy-pasted photoshops are original art is presenting facts in a false or misleading way.

hah how did I miss that :confused:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I like to imagine that Derek's legal team constantly have to stop him from spilling the beans, but he just to excited not to.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

What.... No. Please say this is a loving joke and a bunch of loving idiot goons trolling each other.. Theres no way someone could put that much into a lovely non existant game and be ok with it...

No Clifford is one of the most insane backers

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm sorry.. MOST insane? There is a long list of people vying for that title. Are you sure clifford is more insane than dickwulf? I mean dickwulf has my vote for most insane backer.

I would rank it Dickwolf, Clifford, Wesha (though Wesha and his cool millions are probably more insufferable than Clifford). I think they are all north of 30k spent on this shitshow.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Wesha is just an empty person who is trying to make himself happy by wasting money on space ships

you say that like Dickwolf And Clifford aren't.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Watch us get this project funded just to spite goons

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

was about to post it. I send a couple of questions based on people's bad reviews of Star trader 4x: empire in exile. some lovely mobile game ported to steam(?)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

yes they took my question about turns :D and is taking it serious, like I played the first game

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Daztek posted:

lol @ atreiden

drat they figured me out :(

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I like that the chat is like 50% goons, 50% SC backers who hope to get an autism chariot. nobody cares about the boardgame

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

I really wanna super slam Ryan Archer into that bookcase because Ladyman seems like a good dude and doesn't deserve his project to be tarnished by that piece of poo poo.

Honestly since Ladyman has consistently defended the plagiarism, he does deserve it imho.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

they might have removed most of the plagiarised art from their kickstarter, but their video still contains some of them, including that star wars guy who's head was exchanged with a smug ginger.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Daztek posted:

the box has a huge stolen planet lol

that too, but I thought official star wars art would be worse, since it's Disney and all. The planet was just stolen from some random deviantart guy right?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm honestly a bit torn now. I actually think star traders look like fun game, but the whole plagiarism means I won't support it (also I don't do kickstarter/early access). But I hope David cuts out Ryan, though I guess it's too late to avoid any potential lawsuits.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Eonwe posted:

id play it if it weren't affiliated with star citizen or theft

Exactly

iron buns posted:

Oh wow. I asked them to move the camera, and they are actually doing it!

I don't think they get a lot of questions, they have answered three of mine and two of them was just me rewording negative reviews of star traders 4X on steam

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

brilliant! :five:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I'm clearly not a gamer, because spending that much on one game is insane. I don't think I have spent anywhere near that on games in the last 25 years combined

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

El Spamo posted:

You haven't. Consider, if you lived for 70 years and spent that money evenly every year of your life from birth to death on video games you will have spent $535 per year on video games.

Every year for 20 years is $1,874 per year. That's a new computer (est. $1200 'cause why not) plus maybe a dozen or so games each year. Each year.

yeah did a bit of math and I have at best (worst?) spend 200$/year on games. and no where near that when I was a kid. So even factoring in the computers I bought over the years, I'm still just around 10K ( and most of that is because I have bought 3 laptops and 4 stationary pc's over the years, not the games)

Lonkface posted:

I might have spent maybe third of it if I count in all the computers I've put together AND all the games I've bought in past 15 years.. and I'm sitting on 200+ titles on Steam :(

Clearly I don't understand anything about gaming.

yeah I have 250 games on steam and the vast majority I bought on sales. just checked my purchase history and turns out I payed more for the commander keen collection than I did for mass effect 1.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Derek Smart is a lot like Chris Roberts, he talks a lot but never delivers. Oh and they both try to make space games I guess

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

What are some of the other spergiest?

posting about females
Defending wearing a fedora
Correcting people when it's actually a trilby
Knowing the difference between a trilby and a fedora
Backing star citizen

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Chalks posted:

I'm not sure which is worse, that this is all a massive meta troll and loads of people are pretending to have worked it out, or if it's an actual massive secret and I can't work it out.

When you find it, you will smile a bit and then be disappointed. It's not worth it and the Ryan Archer derail was much more fun.

EDIT: have a picture of my dog enjoying a carrot

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 4, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Daztek posted:

Tic Toc

CateditbecauseAtreidendidn't

I'm slow :(

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Here is my dog with a rice cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

G0RF posted:

:lol:

Here, have some DonutGate...

OH WAIT, THEY DELETED DONUTGATE FROM THE PUBLIC RECORD!

Oh well, have some Tim-Tams, then.

hahaha this is the second time they deleted something Sandi did. I wonder if there is a CIG employe tasked with cleaning up Sandi's mess.

Also finally caught up with the thread again, have a picture of my dog looking proud of having flipped her bed.

• Locked thread