Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:gary:

One thing I don't understand is why mocap Gary Oldman and then make the model look exactly like Gary Oldman? Are they doing that with all the human characters, making them look like their actors? This way they don't need sets and costumes, but recording mocap looks a lot more complicated and expensive than conventional filming. Costumes and sets probably help actors get into their characters more than everyone wearing a frumpy onesie. Mocapping is good for aliens I guess, but what is the benefit for human characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EminusSleepus posted:

are those fake nails?

or her nails is just so fugly?

Why do you think spaceship nerds would know anything about nail polish? Ask the nail polish nerds: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706390

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alphabettitouretti posted:

:psyduck:

BOY I SURE HOPE I CAN HAVE A PARTY VARIANT OF MY FAVOURITE JPEG WITH DISCO BALLS AND RED LIGHTS FOR ALL THE CONSENTING ADULT SERVICES WHICH WILL BE TAKING PLACE.

Look again. He doesn't say consenting adult. He says consenting human being. :pedo:

D_Smart posted:

Been busy all day. And legal wanted me to source some info in the article before making it live. That's all done now and it will go live in the morning.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/11/interstellar-pirates/

Goons:

cukP3fKiFQ8G

Heh, 'cuk'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Amazing.

peter gabriel posted:

I've come to realise all space games are poo poo

Master of Orion is good. Master of Orion 2 is good.

Raskolnikov posted:

How did you get your cat so shiny? My cat is from a shelter and rather sick still but someday I want a shiny cat like you.

There are no guarantees. General health and a good diet helps. Brushing helps. Short straight fur helps. It's easier to see the shine on monochrome cats than on multi-coloured cats, and obv silvery grey cats like that one show it off really well.

The easiest way is to cheat and adopt an adult cat that is already shiny. Kittens all look like adorable little puff balls, so it's hard to tell what their adult fur will be like when it grows in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MilesK posted:

If that isn't a good enough first post:

PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPP!

Is that your own work? Very well done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

Wow, that's actually racist.

Racist against australians who spend way too much time in the sun and ruin their skin, yes. The sun hates everyone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

She's half-Asian.

Yeah, but the leathery quality of her skin is common in former beach queens. Its not the color, it's the way it folds when she smiles. You can see the crowsfeet coming on strong in those sports car pictures taken 10 years ago. If she'd been a proper asian she would have worn one of those beach luchador masks and her face would be in much better shape now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Justin Tyme posted:

I like to make fun of this debacle as much as anyone else but talking about whether you would or would not gently caress Sandi is just weird

Normally I'd agree, absolutely. Her appearance and fuckability have nothing to do with her ability to do her job as VP of Marketing. Judging women on their looks rather than competence is weird and gross.

Except Sandi made herself part of the product. She made her appearance an issue.

It's easy to be queen bee in nerd circles, and she cynically tried to set herself up to be every guy's imaginary space girlfriend. Honestly I think that is why her marriage was kept secret: it wasn't about avoiding concerns about nepotism, but was instead to make herself seem available. (Like those j-pop idols who aren't allowed to have boyfriends, to maintain the illusion that they might be available to their fans.) Married with children and she's a Space MILF, not a Space Babe.

Space MILF.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

drkeiscool posted:

so I've been gone and busy, why does everyone hate Dsmart now what is going on?

We don't hate him. We're just disappointed with his choices.

He went on a webcast to talk about Star Citizen with some racist misogynistic doody head.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Incombibulator posted:

It's a doggie dog would.

:shittydog:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Romes128 posted:

I'm ok with pc gaming dying.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen any time soon, since we're basically in a PC gaming golden age right now. From big studios putting out multi-million dollar AAA games to garage studios of a couple guys making their game a reality on a shoestring budget just like back in the 80s and early 90s. I've bought more PC games since I got a steam account in 2011 than I did in the previous 35 years combined. A couple years ago I set up my elderly mother with her own steam and gog accounts, and she has over a dozen games now.

PC gaming didn't need saving. At best Christ Roberts has saved the space sim genre (by encouraging other people to make space games, lol).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrDorf posted:

A full month after the "Refund granted!" email has ended with my CIG account closed and no refund issued, so I'm trying the Paypay chargeback route now. Unfortunately the charges were from mid-2013, so I have a feeling time is going to work against me here. :ohdear:

The good news is that the more people do chargebacks, the easier it gets to do a chargeback. Eventually CIG gets put on the 'these guys suck' list, and chargebacks are granted almost automatically.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

G0RF posted:

You might have to pull an Ortwin and threaten legal, but in your case, they'd blink before going to court over it. That's NOT a story they want to see catch fire in the gaming press...

Oh man. Now I want someone to file in small claims court for their refund. And I want that case to be picked up by Judge Judy.

[imagine that gif of chris roberts swooshing his hands around here, I couldn't find it]

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Loiosh posted:

So, firstly this is an update related to the spline system.

They had 3 different methods they wanted to use. It's all in the monthly update, but essentially they wanted to make ship destruction a bit more creative than explode (or swap out model, frame, frame, swap in debris and explode, which is the older system that was replaced a bit ago, however, made great gif). 1 was scripted events that would activate near other objects (like spiraling into a platform or asteroid), but it would be rare in space. Here's what they've said about the death flourishes:

They settled for using death spiral splines. The AI knows how to to fly them and they are easy for the ship designers to use. They can also be customized into objects (animation tags) so you could have spline-into-structure types of destructions to add flavor to exploding jpegs. What they discovered is that the because the AI does not cheat and uses all the same controls and inputs the player does, that some of the tighter splines would not be correctly flown.

Basically, it's something similar to what X-Wing and Tie Fighter used to have. Certain classes of ships would randomly leave a death flourish (usually just the central part sparking and spinning as it speeds off).

This is all very interesting but you missed the crucial question: Are the splines reticulated or non-reticulated?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

grimcreaper posted:

Imagine Chris Roberts sex life. Having to RP a person who thinks Sandi is a good actress. Having to RP that Sandi is good at anything actually... :( Thats depressing to think about.

They have kids together so unless he got cucked . . . no. Just no. This is not our business. Not even a little bit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is that one of the port's exotic dancers?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bootcha posted:

SPLASH ONE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You guys are all misunderstanding this message. It's nothing to do with star citizen. Dude has just been constipated for a few days and finally had a breakthrough.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If they want to really wow the 'open development' fans, but without actually showing any of the work in progress, they should get an open web cam. Goons went crazy over an open webcam thread a couple years ago. Cams in offices, cams in homes, even cams in outdoor public places. Goons basically fell in love with some guy we nicknamed "Fritz" who worked in an ISP office in Germany. It is weirdly fascinating.

Something like this: http://www.opentopia.com/webcam/7556

No sound, so no fear of trade secrets getting out. It would just let fans watch the little worker bees working away.

Do it CIG. DOOOOO IIIIIIIT.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sappo569 posted:

Until the first time the camera catches Sandi throwing stuff at staff, or Chris wheeling a cart full of cocaine into his office

:ssh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agrajag posted:

why is she wearing a snuggie?

She's probably cold. She's an extremely thin woman in a room full of fatties. If the room was warm enough to be comfortable for thin women, then all the fatties would be sweating.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mirificus posted:

Better quality indeed:

That's the most detailed decorative soap I've ever seen!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kakarot posted:

Is there a game yet

Yes. You're playing it right now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maldoror posted:

it's a turtle

we don't want aliens, we want earth animals with human qualities so we have something to relate to.

i would prefer actual aliens that don't have any common point of reference to relate to; it's more interesting and probably closer to reality. like, aliens might have completely different senses, or "hear" or "see" different types of radiation than earth animals with completely different sensory organs.

I know, right? TV shows are stuck with humanoid bipeds because it is expensive to make anything else look half decent. But computer games defaulting to humanoid bipeds is just lazy. I always thought it would be cool to have aliens that could not exist on earth as it is now.

Like this guy. With our current atmosphere and gravity we can't get centipedes this big on earth, but that doesn't mean they couldn't exist anywhere. Imagine if this guy had evolved to use his mandibles and his front three pairs of limbs as 'hands' capable of precise manipulation. Perfectly civilized. Technologically advanced. Barely comprehensible.

A slight problem that we think they look like gross giant bugs, and they think we look like gross giant grubs, but we're all civilized and try to get along. Our mouth parts aren't able to make the same sorts of sounds and our ears (and other membranes) don't detect vibrations in the same way anyway, so we need mechanical assistance to communicate easily. Unlike dealing with foreign humans we can't pantomime at each other easily, because our morphology is just too different. We can't even use each other's tools or furniture.

No inherent conflict over planets, because while there may be environments where both species could survive, there aren't any environments where both species will be comfortable -- so planets ideal for the giant centipede civilization are at best barely livable hellholes for humans and vice versa. Still some potential conflict over asteroid mining rights and whatnot. Possibly some systems could have a planet were part is suitable for humans and part for centipedes, or have two planets in the liquid water zone, one more suited to centipedes and one more suited for humans, leading to traffic disputes, but that's a local problem. Like us they are sapient individuals, not a hivemind, so there is always the chance of individuals loving things up. But for the most part very little conflict, just completely alien.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShredsYouSay posted:

That's not nearly alien looking enough. How about these guys? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opabinia.

You can certainly get weird alien things underwater, but it's harder to imagine an aquatic species developing space travel. They don't get to discover fire, or develop internal combustion engines. They might make good pilots once they get to space since they are used to thinking and moving in 3 dimensional space, but it's hard to imagine the tech tree they used to get there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peter gabriel posted:

Aliens are big dumb assholes imo

:agreed:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neonbregna posted:

Source your quotes

:smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dusty Lens posted:

A buddy was just informed that they would refund half of his account.

They asked him to choose which pledges he would like to have refunded. Maybe someone recently read Sophie's Choice during a community interaction retreat.

He's going to talk to his bank tomorrow, though he issued an email asking after this policy.

Raskolnikov posted:

Strangely enough CIG also offered me half my account back. What is with "half" and CIG?

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG did the same with me. It just happened to be nearly the dollar exact "value" of the pledges in my hangar and more than I expected to receive so I had no trouble pulling the trigger.

When they offer to refund half your account, do they still close the account and confiscate all the stuff? Or do you get to keep your account and half your stuff?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

So, I'm behind and don't have time to watch a live feed. How many worlds are there, right now? How many missions available, right now? Is multicrew a thing yet?

One of the bigger laughs of all this is from the fact that "multicrew" gaming as a turret gunner is never ever going to be fun. Has anybody ever actually enjoyed playing in a turret for more than 10 minutes? It lacks depth, requires a pilot and whatever multicrew role that they throw in that will inevitably be boring to play it. It's just another stupid nostalgia play to star wars and WW2. Thing is, turrets were never effective as a defense for individual planes. You had huge packs of ww2 bombers take out minimal german fighters as a group. One bomber had several gunners but few kills. It's also something that has never really been fun in video games, probs for the same reason.

Even if they release this game, it's going to suck, and all it's potential customers have either bought the game or are aware of it and know it's bullshit. It can't succeed.

People will be fighting to play the turret gunner. You don't want to be the guy stuck monitoring the waste recycling systems, do you?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

randomcommoner posted:

Can't wait for the 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes from master cinematographer chris ropperts. I'm sure the story will be gripping. Wish you could pledge for extra cutscenes.

You may get your wish. (No you won't.) The 10 hours they have done Squad 42 is supposed to be chapter one, with 2 or 3 more to come afterwards if the game is successful. Chris's complete vision is much to grand to fit into a mere 10 hours of cutscenes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fain80 posted:

If the game does end out coming out and is decent, will you guys be playing?

If Squadron 42 comes out and is good I'll probably pick it up on a steam sale when it dips under $20. I've got like 50 games in my steam backlog now, no reason not to throw another one on the pile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AP posted:

So Phoenix sale on Thursday, screengrab from the original August 2014 sale below.

Laugh at Pity the poor fools who thought they were spending $350 for something that people wouldn't be able to buy later? Consider those who bought the "Limited Earlybird edition" for $1000, "limited to 200 units".

Still at least they all got a limited-edition Sentinel 88G space Piano, be the envy of all your friends, unless CIG sell that again too.

What form does space luxury at $350 take? Behold the Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdC6uJ2PdxM&t=203s

Redesigned Phoenix has not been shown yet, but if I was picking a day to show it and tell people it would be added to 2.0 soon, I'd do it on your favourite tv show, now in season 2 "Reverse the Verse", tune in every Thursday.

Oh man, they're redesigning the hot tub ship? That was the best. It had this great "future as imagined by the 1970s" decorating vibe. And the luxurious captain's quarters with the king size bed is in the middle of the ship, so on duty crew that want to go from the bridge to engineering have to pass through the bedroom and hot tub area where he's entertaining his space babes. If anyone wants to watch the space TV, you can't go from the front of the ship to the back at all, because when the TV drops into place between the bar and hot tub it completely blocks the hall. It was an amazing mess.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peter gabriel posted:

I am making a difference!

One more bug I noticed, you may have missed it.
At 1.13, and it is quite subtle, when I am about to land the whole world turns upside down, I have attached an image to try and show the bug, I think it's a bug:

You can see there that I am upside down

That's just what happens when you land in Australia. Realism.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

grimcreaper posted:

In all seriousness though, i dont know if HE can be the one to leverage any real legal stuff. Im no lawyer, but a judge would be hard pressed to see this as anything but "im trying to ruin their credibility so that my game has better sales"

That isn't really the way games work though. It's not a major purchase, even AAA games cost less than $100. Nobody is like, "I bought Skyrim therefore I won't ever buy the Witcher". Steam claims I have aquired 130 games since 2011, and that isn't even counting the few on Origin or whatever. Admittedly only a couple of those were brand new, full price games -- most of them were over year old and deeply discounted during one of the big sales, but still. The market can support more than one space sim in a given year.

It's consumable media, not a car. There is no need to defame 'competitors' when people who like space games will probably end up buying all the space games.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

aleksendr posted:

Awww.. This thread is turning to poo and we still have no SC game where we can bonk pubbies for fun. Where will i get my daily SC entertainement ? Reddit ?

Your imagination.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RuckusRouser posted:

I am not sure how mean goons are allowed to be

Goons are allowed to be exactly this mean: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

"Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlmightyPants posted:

If all the space whales end up with their thousand dollar spaceships gated behind a monthly fee I will have a hearty laugh. Because there's no way in hell that there's going to be enough money left to run the servers for this mess for free.

Nah, it's easy. They just have one server. One server holds 50 people at a time. You queue up until the guys already playing crash. It won't be a long wait.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crazy Achmed posted:

I don't know if anyone's already drawn the parallel, but I wonder if there's much overlap between the compulsive JPEG buyers and the people who spend hundreds of dollars on that train simulator game.

Train Simulator currently has $5,445.48 of DLC. I remember when I thought that was a crazy amount. SC has truly redefined PC gaming.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, you see, the servers themselves have the capacity for basically an unlimited number of players, because servers are magic things made out of pure video game. The issue is that the client-side processes are dependent on the users' hardware setups, and that causes a bandwidth bottleneck that limits the amount of nano-location-threading that can be piped to the client. Because nano-location-threading is very viscous, if the servers continue to try and force their unlimited fidelity to the client, the Borgnine Technical Refractors get all clogged up and have to be defrunged to keep working, which is just beyond the technical limitations of client-side hardware.

I know this because it's not very different from the job I do for the government.

Thanks, that cleared it up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

Huh? Motion sickness mostly comes from movements not matching visual input. You don't cure motion sickness with code.

I don't know about VR, but in general there are things that make it better or worse. Third person is usually better than first person. If first person is required putting a fixed point like a crosshair in the center of the screen helps some people (putting a little sticker in the center of the monitor helps some people in games that don't have a fixed point). Field of view makes a difference. Head bobbing makes it much, much worse why would you even do that??? Stupid gimmicks like camera shake and motion blur can make it worse.

Code can't solve the problem of people having broken brains, but there are features under control of the game makers that can definitely influence the severity of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bait and Swatch posted:

What will be in star citizen you aks?

I have it on good authority that things like this will be possible. Birds loving with cats trying to fight each other: http://youtu.be/cbBlYfTbA44

Enjoy citizens

Birds are such trolls.

• Locked thread