Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

:gary:

Guys should I cancel my pip boy edition Fallout 4 and just buy it on steam? I don't really need more physical poo poo in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Berious posted:

Had to look it up. Comes with a wearable pipboy you can put your smartphone in. The megaloser in me finds that quite cool though I probably wouldn't have the complete lack of shame to wear it outside the house.

I got caught up in the announcement hype and pre-ordered it within ~3 minutes of it going on sale. I'd never wear it outside either and in all honestly it'll just end up in my closet with other collector edition poo poo.

Welp I think I have my answer. Thanks bro. :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Paladinus posted:

In the wheelchair.

:gary: :captainpop: :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Zzulu posted:

guys i got 500 dollars

should I buy food and clothes for my kid this month or

haha who am i kidding, i just spent it on a videor game jpeg

Hey zzulu I fixed that post for you bro, no need to thank me :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

MVP posted:

um this is Chris Roberts um goons um and somefing awful um could you um kindly um gently caress off

the real chris roberts would have spent 8 hrs fueled by cocaine writing a magnum opus of a post

you are not our lord and savior

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

i sent an email oct 4 to get the rest of my account refunded, after 3 emails they still haven't 'actioned' the refund

i just want offfffffff :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Write to them saying that you are going to be issuing a chargeback tomorrow.

This has been the only way that other goons have successfully been refunded by CIG (They won't want chargebacks)

yeah i might just do that :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

w0000t

Refund has been 'actioned' and account has been closed, only took a month!

I'm freeeeeeee

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Last minute legal issue came up,

did NOT see that one coming.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

blog is up

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

BastionPete posted:

Well, I lost access to my old account from 2007, so I thought I'd make myself a brand spanking new one to contribute to this discussion. I even bought premium so I could be privy to all the SuperSecretTM stuff going on.

Turns out that was a minor mistake, frikkin loled hard when I realised

You need a Platinum Upgrade to view this link.

As my first post in this thread, I'll try and keep it from being a complete shitpost.

Anyway, I'll give you some context of me. I'm about $60 deep in Star Citizen, backed in 2012 at the funding launch, and installed the game once every six months or so just to see what progress there is. There has been significantly less than I had hoped tbh. I saw this thread on Reddit where I am a semi active user. Anyway, while I appreciate some of the arguments for the game never being released, it does feel like one mighty echochamber in here.

My take on some of controversies surrounding SC.

On crazy obsessive/harassing WhiteKnight StarCitizens
Well, you have a community of 700K where the occasional individual is in for $20k. Yes they are dicks and I don't condone any of their actions. However, they do not reflect the wider starcitizen community. Personally I think they are insane for spending that much money on a videogame. Whatever, they are a few bad apples. I feel sorry for Derek that he has to put up with their harassment.

On never ending delays and how the project is being run.
This is one of my biggest frustrations with SC. The actual content being released (ArenaCommander/HangarModule/Planetside) is only a small part of what is needed for the finished game, and yet so much resources seem to be poured into them. Whole critical parts of the game, such as the databasing needed for persistence etc. not currently in development. While this is annoying, I don't think it's necessarily an indication of a project that's about to fail. Just poor project management. Also, I know very little about large scale game development and where developers spend most of their time. I agree that the project has been poorly managed in the past, as is shown by our current lack of a game. That said, just because there have been poor management decisions in the past, does not mean that the current development strategy is stupid, or that CIG are unable to produce a completed game. The current drive to make AC2.0 a platform to build out the rest of the PU game mechanics seems sensible enough to me.

Problems in one studio mean problems in all studios
There are currently four SC studios so far as I can tell. Santa Monica, Austin, ManchesterUK, and FrankfurtDE. Austin seems to be downsizing. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be growing. For some reason this is painted here as a reason for CIG being in trouble. Some people have complained of toxic work environments, but they seem to be fairly limited to Austin, and maybe a bit in Santa Monica. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be chugging along fine, and really helping to get the game moved along. The imminent release of AC2.0 is probably their doing. The fact that they are growing, I think, is a good sign for the project as a whole.

Money problems leading to the project shutting down
There is no evidence of this at all. Star Citizen raised $4.2m last month. Even if this was a one off, it still shows that the project has a huge number of people willing to spend money on it. The project has 700K preorders on the books, and a very generous community. If they need extra credit (and I don't hear any evidence beyond unfounded rumour) then I have zero doubt that investors will be lining up to get a piece of the action. Even before crowdfunding started, CR only needed to raise about $4m to get his investors interested and secure about $15m dollars in funding. I bet they'd be interested now.
Secondly, there is the unfounded number of $3m dollars being spent per month. Derek claimed with AbsoluteCertaintyTM that the company only had $8m dollars left and would be shutting down imminently. This is all BS. At the time of the claim, they had raised about $90m I think. (90-8)/3=27months of funding. Which is 2.33 (recurring of course) years of funding at that expenditure rate. Considering we're three years in now and there is now way whatsoever that CIG were spending that amount for even the first year and a half of operation, there is a very good chance that CIG still has a reasonable amount tucked away.

On Sandi
This is the biggest joke of the lot. There is a lot of 'evidence' thrown about on topics that really don't matter. Who gives a gently caress if she is married to CR, or is a jerk, or doesn't have a marketing degree. She oversaw a marketing strategy that has raised $94m which is all that matters. That was her job. If she hadn't done that then we would be right to start the criticisms, but that's clearly not the the case. Cries of nepotism are stupid. She wasn't appointed when the company was a multimillion dollar project, she was appointed at inception. If the director of marketing was just a random person (with a marketing degree) who raised $93m, and then they were fired and replaced with Sandi, then shout nepotism all you like. He using company property and time for personal projects is an unknown for me. They don't seem too credible and seem to be clutching at straws.

SC subreddit imgur posts getting bombed
The idea that this was a 'friendly fire' incident doesn't really hold any water IMO. The fact that every image without exception got taken down, leads me to believe that it was a deliberate attack. There were plenty of really obscure images taken down that were posted years ago that weren't originally posted in this thread. I say originally because after the news broke, some then started posting more links here to images to try and get them taken down by proxy. I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.

Derek's claims in general, and refunds
Some of them have turned out to be true - Austin downsizing, a few perople quitting, maybe a couple of other things, but a lot of his claims seem to be unfounded beyond his mysterious sources. I dunno, maybe he is telling the truth, but he really doesn't come across as the most trustworthy/stable of guys. If all this drama had been raised by a more reputable character, I might have considered refunding, as it stands, Derek claiming something doesn't really worry me and I'll be keeping my game package till something a bit more concrete comes up.

I read all of this.

lol j/k I didn't read any of that :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Good morning star shitizen thread, just an update on my refund, got the money in my paypal account yesterday after it was 'actioned' on monday, after sending the first email Oct 4. So just over a month to get the money. It feels good to be free.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

Fuuuuuuuck me.. I'm up to day 42 with a Paypal dispute entered into the game and STILL haven't heard poo poo back from CIG.

I also never had tp resort to saying I was going to do a chargeback.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is the first time I've been in this Twitch chat, and honestly these questions are just terrible.

However at the same time I'm currently playing another game in alpha that actually works.

Do you know when they are going to start selling access again?

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

rick and morty is the best anime ever made imo

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I don't see how the programmer's broken wrist is a problem. He should just shout "computer, run program CIG FPS ONE" into his mouse and the game should compile.

sick reference bro

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Computer add starkk to ignored users

I'm just funnin' you're ok

hey i follow you on ye ol' tweeter

but no really i love star trek its a good reference

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

rip scotty

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

mustangs 2016 and later or 1978 and earlier own

surely you mean 2015? my 2015 is no different than a '16.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

yeah, the new fastbacks

They are pretty cool, here's mine:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

you hosed up. the red one is at least a half second faster, considering red is the fastest color

nah bro, Deep Impact Blue is def the best color

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

its a car, not a lovely 90's movie

tell that to Ford

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

INN contacted me. No further action. All they've done is add this to their post:

Amazing they think they can critique another articles integrity when their very own is obviously poo poo.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I just don't know what else to say to him, the cognitive dissonance is just too great.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It gets even better. Somehow I quoted the wrong tweet.

https://twitter.com/INNdolvak/status/687470453577879552

Yeah I'm Steven lol

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh. Sup. Yeah this whole this is hilarious.

I just wanna be there when the dream finally dies for him and his ilk.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I do not understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0uC7zheXY

How can this happen?

I can see clearly now commando

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Has the rain gone?

yup, I can see all obstacles in my way!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

Go to the Hofbrau House, drink real beer and take part in the stein holding competition. I was just there for New Years.

I had 4 of those liter steins while I was there I think I was peeing every 10 min at the end there. I also got paddled by our cuet waitress when my friend bought me a shot of the schnapps. Good times.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a bad fake letter earlier today and it's been making the rounds. Welp, apparently CIG knows exactly who I am and I got this email from Sandi today.

Lowtax told me there was nothing he could do to protect me from going to prison over what I did. I'm really scared.

P.S. This email is totally a real one and not a very poor MS paint job that I did in like 10 minutes. For real. Okay, bye.

I can tell it's fake cuss of the comments, or lack thereof.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww

Doin gods work bruv.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Guys I have a phone interview tomorrow for my first IT/Help desk job. Only have a basic A+ cert but am studying for Network+ right now. Wish me luck thx.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I'm afraid I skipped a few pages, but I know it's already been referenced.

If anyone hasn't seen EP 1: of Versebusters, Ben and Sandi's new show, you have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz9dEVNhqrk

I thought this was satire at first, and had to double check it was the official channel.

This is a loving farce, wow.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Mr.Tophat posted:

How do I move on with my life now

How

Pick up a new hobby to waste money on, like vaping.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

sunaurus posted:

Why are you not answering my PM? Very suspicious.

uh oh

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Daztek posted:

I'm a reddit spy

hey me 2, hf!

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Morning

hello welcome

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/718548673383309312

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

holy moley finally caught up with the thread

This ben ghazi poo poo is amazing and I can't wait to see how CIG try to wave it off. So much good stuff coming down the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

D_Smart posted:

As I've said before, I'm very conflicted about Jared because, you know - gently caress it - I like the guy. He reminds me of me with that IDGAF vibe he's got going.

Regardless, I know that deep down, he's the kinda guy who, when push comes to shove, will do the right thing.

Also, him and Ben weren't "friends" and saying they were "colleagues" would be a stretch of sorts.

@lando, I know you're reading this, and I know your SA handle. I also know that you know you're about to get (if not already - remember the conversion from two days ago?) fired.

Now, you should probably make good on that threat to quit, and just do it. This ship has sailed. You know this.

You've had a ton of jobs before; and you can find work again. Good idea not unpacking though.

Also bookmark this: http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/discussion-forum-rules/#post-3048

Lando needs to accept this and come into our sweet embrace.

• Locked thread