Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

fuzzknot posted:

I told him that this weekend we're going to get him a decent Corningware dish. Pour boiling water over ricer, lightly salt, cover, bake for half an hour, done. Like a rice cooker but cheaper and more versatile.

You can also make cake, oatmeal, and all kinds of poo poo with a Zojirushi rice cooker. Plus it sings to you when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

fuzzknot posted:

Thank you. That's more than can be said about the Dalek my boss tried to knit. It really wasn't that difficult a pattern, but she's one of the worst knitters I've ever seen. She had to rip it out and begin again several times, and even at that, she completely hosed it up. Instead of the neat panels created by the knit stitches (with the black bobbles) and the purl stitches in between, she somehow either skipped or repeated a step, and her panels were all skewed looking. It was also about three times too big, and she couldn't figure out how the base was supposed to go together. I shrugged and pretended I had no idea how to fix it.

Yesterday she came in with a particularly hideous scarf she was making on needles far too big, so the scarf is more like a net than anything either practical or pretty. (I guess that makes it an ideal contender for a space scarf?)

The sad part is she thinks she's actually good at it. I don't understand how people can be so blind. I know I'm a reasonably gifted knitter, but I've had too many fuckups of my own to pretend I'm one of the best knitters in the world and have been ever since I was a little girl.

You should check out Ravelry if you aren't a member yet. My wife knits up crazy awesome stuff she finds on Ravelry. She made me a a knitted viking hat with beard this winter and I'm trying to convince her to make a matching one for the cat now.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

FrankieGoes posted:

Terraforming a gas giants atmosphere might be the dumbest scifi thing I've ever read in my life.

Clearly you don't know anything about terraforming. Star Citizen's terraforming mechanics have real world applications and Chris Roberts is leading the way to a brighter future.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

darkarchon posted:

Also was productive at the weekend, built 2 more catte boards to jump on. They love it.

Awesome. Where did you get the decorative brackets from?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

cocaine dad show posted:

Oh and Blindsight by Peter Watts is good and you can read the whole thing or download it in various formats here http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

I"ve been waiting for someone to mention this. It's a great book, one of my favorites. I highly recommend Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear for some cool space horror action if anyone's into that.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Goobs posted:

I have to ask, why do you guys think all the MLP weirdos and Weabos are drawn to star citizen? I haven't seen one brony or weab that isn't super in love with Star Citizen. Ever.

Someone who I suspect is a furry told me that they hope SC becomes second life in space, and second life is full of furries so..

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

This better not be ending soon, I was gonna apply to become Eonwe's shitposting apprentice soon. It was going to be glorious.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

"you know, past days, situations like this - i'd kill everybody, everybody that worked for me."

Who's the Matt Damon at CIG?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

(pause) I love you.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

EightAce posted:

Good morning

The professor shares many quirks with Mr Roberts , not least of all the total inability to deliver on a milestone, in Derek's case that of Armageddon, However .......

He is right in everything he says
He has always been right.

I guess he is currently out of sorts because of what he knows and because he can do nothing with it at all. This must be totally frustrating for him. He has all the right notes , but slightly in the wrong order. Everything he has hinted at, indeed , outright stated, from his first blog and his social media feed. In amongst all the self righteous bluster , there lie the facts of what is happening, happening right now.
This is now beyond simple comedy, the powers involved are such that he cannot say anything specific without getting himself right in the poo poo. Also the E.L.E to which he refers is a multi faceted thing. Although the phrase E.LE is rather strong we are not talking national security here.

For the record Derek has always had the interest of the backers and the dev staff at heart I truly believe that. There was probably some free publicity for LOD and various other selfish motivations but I truly think that is where his crusade started. Its beyond all that now though, this whole thing is simply an industry wide joke , the punchline will not be so amusing . There are no more dates I can give you and I will not give you any more info other than to point out, weeks ago when I said just how bad this interactive movie is has to be seen to be believed . Well now you have seen a very old iteration of the script ....I need say no more.

There is no reason for this to end up on TCE ;) as it doesn't shed light on anything or provide any new info other than an attempt to explain the professors chagrin. Be nice to the old boy, I have commissioned a birthday card for him from a talented young artist that has been brought to my attention called Ryan Archer. He's cheap as chips as well ........something about being between jobs?

(pause) I love you

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Requesting that someone create a picture of what the goon mothership would look like. I want to spam it to a friend who refuses to get a refund or even cancel his subscription.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Also why doesn't Nintendo sell a wifi dongle to use the Wii U gamepad as a PC gamepad/touch screen display

Technology that doesn't interact well enrages me

These questions are why Chris Roberts came back, he's going to save us all.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Loiosh posted:

They have. The 64-bit change in 2015 was a rewrite where they also recoded the entire level loading system to introduce stream-loading to CryEngine. They did the same thing just on the network side in 2013-2014 (rewrote the MP code in CryEngine to make AC 'work').

I was under the impression that it's still not true 64 bit? Has this changed?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

So did any employees quit last week? Or was that a Derek troll too

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

Obviously you know something we don't, but CIG seems to be acting as if everything is normal and business as usual. I mean they're still hiring people and making mouse pads sized for literal whales. Chris Roberts doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who keeps real cool under fire, he can't even hold back from spontaneously adding features when asked questions by his fans. He would be panicking and making all kinds of changes imo if money was running out.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

intardnation posted:

so has it been confirmed that Ortwins father was a high ranking nazi and that significant amounts of laundered money has been used to keep CIG afloat?

Hugo Boss uniforms in game confirmed.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

To the best of my knowledge these have never been claimed:

And these were claimed but are now free to be reused/recycled

Also there's a horrible Ryan Archer monstrosity that needs some jokes inserted into it:

I want a space cat av

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

poop? POOP?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't like thinking about the fact that Ben is literally dying.

Like... he's an rear end, but nobody deserves that.

Ben come to this thread we have lots of healthy recipes.

This. He's definitely an rear end, but I still feel bad for him. This has to be the worst case of "never meet your heroes".

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Variable 5 posted:

Sorry guys, I’m tired of this. It’s not fun for anyone but your group and it’s tedious for anyone else posting to the forums. The level of toxicity the users posting to this thread adds to the forums is not acceptable.
I am absolutely bored with the insane levels of smug pretense happening here. It’s not fooling anyone (other than regular users already keyed up about ‘Goons’ playing the same game as they are, and you sure showed them! Take that, pubbies!) and it’s just so uninteresting. “We’re just standing up for the little guy! Help we’re being oppressed! Etc.!” I have some good news for you: you’re a regular forum user and you don’t need to stand up for anybody. You don’t run the place. That’s the moderation staff’s job, and if they suck at it then I will fire them.

They don’t suck at it right now, though. Your constant baiting isn’t changing my mind about that, it’s making me feel sorry for the group of people I put in the position of having to deal with you. It’s really, really obvious what’s happening, and no number of lengthy PMs about your views on how moderation is supposed to work are going to change that. The level of disrespect here is outrageous; absolutely no one believes you’re really here with obnoxious rule-skating signatures and stupid parody account avatars because you’re incredibly concerned with how a particular forum’s moderation works.

But if that is a genuine worry: if Toast bans someone for being a Goon instead of for being an rear end in a top hat, let me know (via PM, not endless toxic thread) and I will fire Toast. Until that happens, this is just tiresome and makes the forums look bad to everyone. (And this is just a gut feeling, but maybe the moderator bias that you all claim to be so worried about above anything else in the universe would be more obvious to me if absolutely anyone other than the people posting to this thread were contacting me about it?)

I will say that this is in no way a condemnation of all “Goons.” In following the Star Citizen threads at SA, it’s clear there are lots of Something Awful users who are interested in/excited about Star Citizen. You aren’t being haunted by some EVE reputation that you pretend to know nothing about… you’re giving the group a bad name right here (literally, in the name of your thread.) But of course you know that. SA is full of entirely reasonable people (myself included) who do all kinds of interesting things. Endless forum “shitposting” and trying to get moderators/staff fired isn’t one of those interesting things.

Thread closed.

Goddamnit Ben, I had completely forgotten about this. What a dick.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

I'm surprised that backers aren't upset about those custom doors. I had a owner who wanted a pair of custom automatic sliding doors on a job a while back. 6' x 7' pair and all that jazz with similar custom work to what CIG has on their doors. Nearly 27k for the whole setup and this was in Colorado. I doubt that California has cheaper construction costs. Also we had the same problem with a several seconds delayed opening procedure and just changed the delay timer in the control box. I don't even want to think about the cost of those wall vinyl graphic wraps. Still want to see the F1.0 finish sheet for those remodel plans, I guarantee it's all expensive boutique manufacturer finishes that are $$$.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Can someone link the original terms and conditions which stated they would release financials if they didn't meet a specific release date? I have a whale friend who refuses to believe that existed at some point.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Berious posted:

Can't find the post but maybe 20-30 pages back the OP was posted and people ITT thought he might have been making it up. Turns out he wasn't and you should never underestimate CIGs lovely attitude to it's customers.

CIG are now doing ransomware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4eweoz/account_locked_indefinitely_need_help/

Star Citizen - Wells Fargo Bank Simulator

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Raymn posted:

Right now I'm imagining multiple secret groups of people monitoring the thread all suddenly aware that there are more of them out there and all of them trying to figure out who is who in addition to their handlers trying to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Also any idiot is going to be able to look at their envelope full of cash they just sent off for the week and figure out who Surface Detail is. Nice try reddit but this was a rather weak attempt.

This is like that Smokin Aces movie with all the assassins in the same hotel and shooting each other.

Also Benghazi has convinced multiple friends to want refunds. These are guys who have never logged into the brown sea and haven't followed progress at all, they all work for the forestry service in the rocky mountains so haven't seen anything. Suddenly I link the OP and Benghazi to them over the weekend and they are losing their poo poo. There was a post sometime a long while back about what to say in the refund email and helpful directions for a chargeback, but I can't find it. If someone can PM it to me, I'll send you xmas cookies this year.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Ok. Did it. It kind of tingles. I think this stuff is for feet. Whatever.

Didn't do much. This box appears to be made from high quality artisan re-purposed cardboard.

Give catte the box.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

I'm really tempted to narc on them to the Los Angeles County Department of Building and Safety. If that door is intended to be a means of egress, it must meet the following requirements for both a horizontally sliding door and an access-controlled egress door. These excerpts are from the 2012 edition of the International Building Code, which is a little more complicated than just a garage door opener:

I haven't looked to see if California has their own modifications of these sections, but knowing CA, they would probably be more strict if anything.

It's probably not an egress door.

Also what a dumb fuckin thing to lie about if that email is true. That's an expensive fuckin door. Basic super market sliders are $9,500 installed.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

I think that just refers to manually-operated doors. Sliding doors in this case probably refer to "barn doors" where the door hangs from rollers on a track that's mounted to the wall above the door head. Haven't done any of those in a commercial space though.

Nah they have their own code sections and requirements. As long as those doors can be opened manually with less than 30 pounds of force when power goes out they are just fine. The keycard access is odd though, that exposed data cable makes it look like it was added after the door was finished and inspected.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Lladre posted:

It's a door to a lunch room. Do the city inspectors really give a poo poo if some security is easily bypassed?

Yes, they absolutely do. Building and safety codes are written in the blood of the past.

e: so you better you call your boss Sandi about this.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Eldragon posted:

I seriously doubt anyone at CIG has the construction expertise to convert a garage door opener into a sliding door. It might have been painted by the team, but it was installed and assembled by a professional.

Clearly you don't know anything about game development. How are they going to handcraft systems and planets without professional carpenters?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

It's more like inspectors really give a poo poo when *anything* prevents people from escaping a building during an emergency.

Brings up another good point. Those doors are probably still not ADA compliant to fit Ben through.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Eldragon posted:

See: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=3453&perpage=40#post458938958

Indeed. Its why their claim is total bullshit. This isn't a job for an amateur. They might have painted it themselves, no loving way they installed it themselves unless CIG happens to have a licensed contractor with experience in this on-staff. And if they do, WTF what else do they have, a farrier for Sandi's pony?

It's really dumb to lie about too since it's so obvious. Are they also going to say that the full height wall vinyl wraps are just regular printer paper all taped together and glued to the wall?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Where's the $500 come from for the door reader? I know you can pick up a little USB RFID reader for $75 - curious what all's different in the door versions from one of those chips in a bigger box? Is it to also send the thumbs up to the door mechanism to tell it to open after a successful verification? I'm assuming the validation side is handled by a pre-existing system system that the reader just has to spit the card info over a network to.

Commercial grade door control systems have cost me 500-750 in the past, so that's where I was getting my numbers from.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

holy poo poo I love you

I'm 90% sure those are commercial Stanley Duraglide 2000 doors.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

AP posted:

That help at all?

lol where are you getting this from?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Berious posted:

Given that how much have they blown on these do you think?

I just called my Stanley rep and he says $8500-$9500 for barebones supermarket type set up. With that amount of custom work to design, build, and refit the doors, I would double the costs to around 17k with another 4k added in for the door frame work and card reader control kit. That space ship door frame might just be furred out drywall that was shaped/smoothed/painted with the stanley door frame kit inside.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also the metal rails thing makes the door look like poo poo. What a fuckin waste

Yeah that's where the belt drive guts are. But yeah, should have put vinyl on it or painted it lol

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Is Cali all union labor? Because that would make my 20k-21k estimate for those doors even more rock solid.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

My only experience with permits and inspections is my own personal residential work I did to build and addition and renovate my home.

In MY area you don't need a permit for certain things. I replaced all three exterior doors of my home and didn't need a permit because I was replacing doors with like doors.

But whenever there is electrical work, like an automatic door with a sensor, card reader, etc I would imagine it would be a requirement.

Considering the work was completed fairly recently, the paperwork may not be on the inspections website yet.

Direct electrical and certain plumbing swaps that are equal don't need a permit. Finishes such as painting, flooring, ect... don't need a permit.

Changes in egress, occupancy, fire sprinklers, kitchen hoods, and such all need a permit.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

ideate posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_(information_security)

this is a pretty simple concept guys

chris roberts has many years of experience in game design and haaahahahahaahahaha

It's deeper than that, there's a chance that EightAce's family is being held hostage. Chris and Sandi mocap horrible tortures being done to them.

Goon rescue squad needs to assemble NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Agrajag posted:

wow, well over 20k probably high 20's for a loving break room door.

Yep. I originally estimated 27k for a budget, but brought it down a bit to 21k after calling Stanley. They very well could be hardwood doors that have been machined/carved/glued or whatever and then modified to fit the motor track, still doesn't change the price. Custom work is custom work. $$$.

And they aren't pocket doors. Just lol at that.

• Locked thread