Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Christ Roberts, RSI is so good at crowdfunding GIFs SA is making money now off GIFs!

:gary: :10bux::20bux:

Except these GIFs are part of a working system that fulfills it's role in it's entirety.

...SA has a better and more successful business model than RSI. Thank Roberts for Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
This is the best episode of battlebots I've ever watched

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Deep in the evening of this day, October 27, the Year of our Roberts 2015, quietly, gently, CashEnsign's jimmies rustle...

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Albion Online J4G Squad Assemble!

:greenangel:

Also no, I don't want to play this game... it looks terrible objectively.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Dear god. A mona lisa.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

This is hosed up.

Is it hosed up because he's in a wheel chair or hosed up that he's telling the dude to stop being an internet rear end in a top hat?

:gary: ~just curious~ :allears:

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 28, 2015

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

its hosed up because this whole thing is literally two mentally disabled people pissing on each others shoes in turn and then feeling smug about it. hope this helps your process of understanding.

I would like to know more, I've never been very good at the understanding

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Well guys, we obviously know Derek Smart is not an idiot, so what's the big deal? His last name is Smart.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

pftc posted:

Why is he so angry?

That doesn't look necessarily angry... more of a just asking about a spaceship in a game that will never exist

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Screw DC, gently caress your frost giants and ettins, I'm sittin cozy in the south!

Also perhaps we should now move this thread to E/N as a debate on whether or not a handicap +5 points should be given as a function of both age and motor cortex functionality during an internet fight about a game that has already failed?

I mean :wtchris:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Someone let me know when we turn the funny back on

Star Citizen Release

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

It's not funny to defend this even ironically.

Still :allears: on why not? The internet is the wild wild web, and we have a hilarious war on our collective internet television.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

gently caress's sake guys. It is not okay to post a child's actual personal information online to incite bullying. No, it does not matter if they started it. No, it does not matter if the dumb little bastard made it easily available. Whether or not they are crippled is irrelevant. They are a child. Are you a child?

Wasn't the "kid" 19? I didn't go look at any information because that would be weird. 19 makes you an Adult by US law. We can slapfight over cognitive maxima being in the mid 20s or whatever, but come on. The guy actively threw thermite at a blazing fire and *gasp* guess what happened?

We're not justifying it, just pointing out that the whole idea of a successful SE getting this upset over a few comments is pretty funny, and that he kind of had it coming given the recent history with DSmart slandering and outcomes.

Also.. welcome to SA...? :greenangel:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Regardless of whether or not this kid is a kid or whatever, it seems pretty clear that Derek needs to calm his litigation boner before he points it in an even stupider direction.

There's a mental image for you fuckers. Enjoy.

Archive this, reddit!

Leonard J Crabs recommends that if you experience a litigation boner for over 4 hours to seek some sort of attention immediately.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

The government thinks that 19 years old is not old enough to make mature and responsible decisions. The internet proves this. TBH I think that around 26 is when people stop acting like kids, can form an argument, and have interesting topics of discussion.

So yeah, when you have only lived a quarter of your life, 19 years old is still a kid.

FireWhizzle posted:

19 makes you an Adult by US law. We can slapfight over cognitive maxima being in the mid 20s or whatever, but come on. The guy actively threw thermite at a blazing fire and *gasp* guess what happened?

Nope, 19 = adult in the US. It's one's personal responsibility to realize and own this. I know accountability is a triggering and awful word.

I for one exercise my knowledge of adulthood to make airplane noises with star wars space ships while on work calls with my mic muted. Also I don't initiate a slander campaign of a public figure on my twitter when I'm trying to build rapport to go to college. ~~

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Space court is in session

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Hey, then you're cool here man! Don't let these crusty old goons and their frogouts bring you down. With enough folks like you, we might actually get this thread back on track and talking about food again.

I'm a crusty goon in a chair with wheels. Does that give me an extra 15 minutes to make my case in this session of space court? I'm also 28 which by science means my brain is made of paperclips, so that's an extra 5 minutes bonus too I think

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the "cooks in the kitchen" scenario applies to development very well. All the cooks in a real kitchen are doing the same thing, which is preparing x item for consumption.

Game development consists of developers sure, but they are the builders and architects of the underlying framework that the ~idea~ (which is to say, the game) is portrayed on. Not only must the idea makers and the builders perform optimally, but also the PR team, the web team, the art team, the customer service team, and the list goes on ad nauseum as you venture into the MMO genre (otherwise known as career suicide for most developers).

So alluding to a bunch of cooks arguing in a kitchen - which never happens in real practice because their roles are always pretty clearly defined - is a bit short sighted

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

Half this thread has now become the entertainment.

Hi welcome to SA, glad you are enjoying it

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I had crutches for a bit in high school and used them to poke people in the back of the leg and make them stumbly ~ymmv

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I like the videos where swatters get caught and go to federal prison for wasting my tax dollars and being a piece of poo poo

oh wait that still wastes tax dollars

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
DSmart should do this the right way, and challenge him to a 1v1 battlebots round. I bet DSmart could make a loving kickass robot and gently caress that dudes robot up

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Reddit adbot knows..

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
So back on the topic of culinary expertise for a moment - have you guys tried grilled cheese with rye bread? I've been mulling over it but haven't taken the plunge. Pros/Cons?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
DSmart, how do you prefer your grilled cheese? Have you meandered into the rye-curious zone? If so, what were your experiences and how did it affect your grilled cheese habits?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

The question we all have to ask ourselves at some point or another while browsing the SC reddit: CYPYTSbF?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Could You Put Your TrouserS back on Fplease?

I cannot, and Can You Propel Yourself Through Space by Farting:

FireWhizzle posted:

Reddit adbot knows..

e: spacesuit fart propulsion sounds like a stretch goal

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Guys i pinged a server then posted screenshots of an empty terminal with the rm command.

Thats so cool, the power glove

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I hope they hired an expensive consultant to enact the downsizing parp

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
This is a great pet island thread. Also related: SC isn't listed in the crowdfunded projects SA thread.. :hfive:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

SneakyFrog posted:

this cant be a pet island thread, no one has called my pits murderdogs yet!

I, personally, vote that pits be able to enter any bathrooms in Houston, TX by claiming to be either a man or woman.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
If only there was a game company that could motion capture Chris Roberts flying toy spaceships around with his hands making plane noises.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about you guys but she's p good looking, smart enough to help accrue all our jpeg money, and smart enough to know when to :getout:, so I guess I don't really get the gross argument?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

The new Goonrathi yea

The newrathi even

Holy poo poo it's a new day, Kimsemus #guildleader of Newrathi?

Will this be a fantasy guild in a fantasy game or a real guild interested in a fantasy game or a real guild interested in a real game? Need to sort this out stat

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Paid Avatar/Title PVP is the most esteemed form of meta-gaming nerd rage. @eonwe #guildleader

I also like the part where a person got so enraged by internet words on a forum in a thread about a game that doesn't and will not exist, that they spent money on you

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Albion is great because it also doesn't exist yet (still in perma "beta" limbo) and the drama is real. Goonfear and goonhate are running rampant. If you have some shitposts you need to squeeze off feel free to head over to the AO official forums to get a break from the SC fiasco

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if the backers realize how much they're being bait-and-switched. Chris only ever wanted to make his loving lovely movie, and he was always willing to sacrifice every other module at that altar. Now they're near the end of their funds, all spent trying to build all of the modules like Star Marine, the PTU, and so on, but with Chris's time-proven stupidity and mismanagement turning all that cash, and all that work, into a fine mist of piss on a summer breeze.

So now here we are, with all of the remaining funds being poured into the shittiest single-player space game we're ever likely to see in our lifetimes. Why do people think they need more bug-testing on Arena Commander? Why the sudden laser-like focus on SQ42, when until now all the focus and all the fanfare was on the PU and Star Marine? Because with their remaining funds, Chris cannot complete SQ42 unless he diverts all resources to it. Every other module experiment is now a failure and a write-off. This is it - this is where the last of the money is going.

This is what Chris wanted to do, so he did it with the money given to him for another product, and another promise, entirely.

This was never about building a universe. It was about attempting to build a universe on the side, while fulfilling his personal desires as the main goal, front and center.

He could have chosen to scrap SQ42 and put all resources on the PU that all his backers want, but he didn't. Backers got a hangar so they could see their ships and fantasize about their upcoming experiences, they got Arena Commander so they could better imagine what they would be like in combat, and they got the PTU, a barely-functional glimpse of how it would all tie together. Chris Roberts was not able to deliver both that universe, that the backers voted for with their dollars, AND the single-player mo-cap travesty he's trying to poo poo out right now, before the funds started to dry up. So Chris Roberts had to make a choice.

Backers should never, ever forget that when the money got tight, and Chris had the tough choice on which part of the game to concentrate on, he chose himself. He chose to use backer money to build his personal pet project, and ignore the very project whose promise generated those funds in the first place.

It's only January, but I'm going to nominate Chris Roberts for the rear end in a top hat of the Year award. Good job commando - you've earned it.

They will forget, and they will give him smedbux

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Has it been 2 weeks and also can we take a moment to appreciate the lack of discovery process research done before choosing cry-engine for a massive-multiplayer game?

e: XLGAMES used Cry3, what's the big hold-up RSI? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will readily admit that I know nothing about game development, but isn't that the kind of thing you program bots to do? I mean in the end it's just a bunch of clients simultaneously connecting to the same server, and wouldn't the kind of diagnostics you're looking for be better reported by a program than a person anyway?

Usually a company uses third-party load-testing with a packet-suite. There are entire companies dedicated to very specific load testing packages, and they give very very detailed reports and consulting about the results and possible areas of interest.

• Locked thread