Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Usually when a game with so much attention starts to trainwreck you see everyone get really excited and a lot of people get really invested in the eventual crash. What usually ends up happening is things slow down, interesting information comes at a trickle, and it all ends with a whimper.

Star Citizen is such goddamn rollicking high-speed clusterfuck I'm not even sure I'm still riding on the same train I got on at when I decided to see how this game was progressing about a month or so ago. Every time it seems like things are going to slow down the train just slips onto another track and starts picking up pace again with a life of its own. A lot of people poke their heads in and want to know why the gently caress everyone is so interested in this game that will never be, and honestly there's no way to sum it all up without missing lots of stuff and people just piling on the things like "Oh and the HR/Marketing person (who is the wife of the CEO) was sending someone who was vocally critical of the game's slow progress screencaps of his SA forum posts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jegan Ace posted:

Honestly, nothing I read in that article was particularly world-shattering.

It's obvious to any oldschool backer that once poo poo blew up with the continuous stretch goals in the early years, that we'd be getting a project with a shitload of promises and nary a hope on them delivering on all of them. Most people actually just wanted something that wasn't EvE in the Kickstarter stages of what is now something I'd class as a bloated abomination of the original idea.

I think there's plausibility in the bitter testimonials of those faceless former employees, but I also know to take this poo poo with a large helping of salt. When emotions, finances and jobs are on the line, things get said in the corporate grapevine that are hard to prove or disprove. I just wish they'd cut off the money-line and just say they'll stop peddling JPEGs at the annual sucker fair to just work on a game that might be released in my lifetime.

That is a very level-headed and intelligent way to view the article. Of course, after that article we've since seen Chris Roberts' rambling response letter he claims he spent 8 hours writing that blamed Derek Smart and Gamergate for everything, CIG's attempts to threaten both the Escapist and Derek Smart with legal action with extremely sloppy letters, the terrible joke that was Citizencon where they revealed that had wasted time and money on stuff they were scrapping BUT LOOK MOCAP, and as I said earlier the HR/Marketing/Actor that is Sandi Gardner (Chris Roberts' wife) sending a backer who is a member of this forum their SA posts in an email asking "Is this you?"

We are way past the point of level-headed and intelligent observations of that article or of this game in general, because we're standing on a giant flaming poo-meteor called Star Citizen just waiting for it to crash and explode in one of the many ways it could.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I Greyhound posted:

I missed that could you give me more details?

Here, have it straight from the horse's mouth.

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Ok, here we go!

Yesterday, or whenever the gently caress it was, I made an attempt at my own brand of gallows humor, and my disdain for those that are CIG True Believers (tm).
I made a funny to the effect of "I'm not sure belts are made to withstand that kind of stress. I'm pretty sure they'll snap before the last bit of dust from the 'Brooks was here' message hits the ground."

Either Sandi, Lesnick or Lando trolled through the forums looking for something, and it sparked something within their hearts. For Ben's sake, it probably helped his. :lesnick:

Sandi proceeded to email me on my personal email that she got from my refund request, to ask if this was me who in fact posted the aforementioned funny.
She then sent a SECOND separate email, in which she states I expected some sort of "exclusive news contract" with them 2 years ago, and she denied me that.

I did not reply to either of her emails. Why bother?

To answer the first question. No.
I'm sure someone else has the idea to use my name, likeness, and append BTHR just to make me look bad. I can do that on my own just fine, thankyouverymuch.

To answer the second question. NOPE.
Why? I recognized early on that other people had similar ideas as I, and they had just as much right to talk to CIG for whatever "news" they deemed worthy.
A little competition never hurt anyone. I'd never be that shallow to say NUH UH! FIRST. I should get it!

-edit-
In closing, I'm terrible at writing 6000-word missives and shitposts. I keep it simple.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Madcosby posted:

No Man's Sky looks boring as gently caress

the worst words in the video game industry right now are "procedurally generated"

The first game I can think of that really pushed that term as one of their big selling points was Hellgate: London. Funny that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

That is about as clear and sensical of a recap as this insane entertainment deserves.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

janssendalt posted:

The PU will be playable in 2016, and you're all gonna cry.

In the extremely likely event it isn't, do you have plans regarding coping with the loss of your jpgs to space bankruptcy? It's going to be real rough when you can't even go down with the ships because it doesn't exist.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

It would suck if the first person to commit suicide in all this drama was some cultist Derek sued instead of a cultist distraught over CIG's implosion

Well now we know at least one person isn't walking away from all this.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

PoopinClumpin posted:

**Furiously clicking REPORT button** "Whoa this one has a nickname "PoopinClumpin"! That's got "poop" in it and I'm sure that's a loose violation of some sort of rule and if it isn't they'll just make a rule about poop" Meanwhile there's CIG forum users with actual vulgarities in their nicknames that post openly and without problems. Anyway, I changed it to Hambeezy after they lifted the ban.

Maybe one of the community managers was eating when they were going through the list of Goon names in a seething rage and seeing your name reminded them of poo and they were eating chocolate brownies? I dunno I suspect they're always eating all the time so that's the risk you run.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why are the white knights wearing black?

If they took the time out to wash their gear Star Citizen might come out when they're not looking.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I dunno if calling some kid's dad is enough to ruin his life but I'm no internet pacifist I guess

Derek's already shown he'll let people that are (by their own admission) working hard to smear him off the hook if they just apologise and move back from the keyboard-warrior poo poo, I think it's fairly safe to say as more and more of these idiots making the bad decision to publicly declare they're going to ruin Derek get dragged into the light the more we'll just see that as an easy out for them that gives Derek everything he wants out of this situation.

They're dumb people that thought that this poo poo was the best way to deal with someone saying nasty stuff about the video game they were really looking forwards do. They got all caught up in the idea they were fighting a pretend war where no matter what everyone including CIG would thank them for waging it, when in reality it was only tangentially related to them, and they should have stayed out of it and let the natural legal mechanisms being tossed around by both sides get put in play by paid legal professionals. They should have just sat back and made photoshops of Derek Smart as Don Quixote riding at a windmill made of ships, and they still can if they just come up for air and understand that this is poop you just don't touch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

To be honest the best part is that (correct me if I'm wrong) Smart's initial case against Croberts was a crock of poo poo. It's only because all these idiots came pouring out of the woodwork at the slightest criticism, spewing literal slander, that there's a legal slapfight at all.

As far as I'm aware (and hey maybe I'm wrong!) Smart can't actually kick off any legal proceedings till Nov 1 which is what the original SC TOS had set as being for the release of something substantial else they'd start giving back lots of refunds and some other nonsense (their TOS has been altered to push that date back but the original date stands apparently). Also as much as we all love to hope and dream, even that date won't immediately usher in a glorious storm of fire and pitch because this sort of poo poo moves slower than that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... they made millions selling ship jpegs and will probably get some more with fps-module related (guns, vehicles, armor, skins ?). Anyone think they'll sell the deed to planets? Space Stations, or even, local space in space stations "Tired of your space pirate life? Buy your very own pub in Polaris-IV ! Become a bartender for your fellow citizens" ?

I'm genuinely surprised they haven't done that yet, to be quite honest. Maybe even they realised creating a system for things to do when you're burned out on the main game is a bad idea when there's no main game to be burned out on.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I dream of a future where every environment is designed with the aesthetic and lighting of a WW2 submarine.

A future so bright I gotta wear night vision goggles.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Here is a summary of everything of note Karl has ever said:

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAARRRRRPPPPP

The more he starts trying to be vague but also swinging at Smart over this poo poo the more I'm reminded of that old WCW feud of Sting versus Black Scorpion. Black Scorpion was a mysterious man from Sting's past who would spook at him about stuff only Sting would know (in an incredibly vague manner) during or after Sting matches and perform magic tricks like turning a woman into a tiger instead of actually fight Sting.

Then when the actual fight happened Sting unmasked about ten dudes all pretending to be Black Scorpion in a parade of tomfoolery until finally it was revealed it was just Ric Flair again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Karl's sick mind games are stuck in 1990 and no one found them entertaining then either.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

wait are you saying wrestling isnt real?

It's still more real than Star Citizen if that helps.

2DCAT posted:

I'm thinking that he is more like Sting introducing the Shockmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

If he finally reveals the ace in his hole and it's as good as a fat man in a glitter-painted Stormtrooper helmet careening through a wall and to the floor all is forgiven.

He's just going to annoy Smart a lot and then declare victory like Wulf did I guess.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I too once bit a dog.

A jpg of a dog.

But it wasn't mine.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah, everyone keeps talking about Smart's lawsuits but we're what, over a month past the deadline for Escapist making a full retraction and apology or CIG sues?

They even put their demands publicly up so everyone could see it, and then apparently backed down without making a sound.

Well, aside from :gary:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Karl's just upset that not a single one of his auditor personalities will ever get as close to CIG's staff as Bootcha has.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

We're just pawns in Derek Smart's endless game of loving with Star Citizen discussing Reddit users.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Now we have to wait till November 30th for super fun legal recompense time to start? Bummer.

I did have fun showing my brother the Derek Smart OP for this thread though, he physically recoiled from the screen and it was hilarious.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's okay guys they're going to mocap the space ships and buggies and leaking mugs.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Goredema posted:

I guess they're a real journalism site, because they're falling for the same dumb logic that most 24 news channels follow:

"Our two guests tonight are Vox Day, who thinks all minorities and females should be severely beaten and then locked in cages forever, and an average NOT INSANE human being, who believes all people should have equal freedoms under the law. I suppose the truth lies someplace in the middle!"

:commissar: No, no it doesn't. Sometimes the truth lies very very close to one side of the argument, especially when the other side is comprised of pants-shittingly-retarded fanatics.

The article's pretty straight with what info it has. I know we'd all like to see some giant boots kicking CIG in the pants over this but they author is waiting to see the flames before they call it a dumpster fire.

Even a legion of morons filling their comments section with limp attempts at being clever and condescending isn't really going to convince the author there's a fire. It's going to convince the author there's a bunch of really loving dumb, rude and arrogant morons invested financially and emotionally in the contents of the dumpster that may or may not be going up in flames sometime down the track.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Or, yaknow, the fact that the freaking head of CIG responded to one such article with a long-winded rant, attacking its author and demanding that the story be pulled, said author and publication telling them they won't do that...and CIG and their idiots pretending like it never happened.

I'd say that kind of a reaction is a pretty clear indication of there being fire. Or at least, if I were a journo and in any way looked at this, I know I'd be working on a follow-up piece after such an event, since it'd be pretty much guaranteed page views down the road and later, after it crashed and burned, allowed me to say: "I was one of the first to write about it and suspected something was up, yo!"

The Chris Roberts letter doesn't really prove that Star Citizen isn't going to come out and that CIG is on the verge of its failure cascade coming to light. It's a pretty good indicator that there's a whole shitload of problems but it's not really the dumpster fire everyone's waiting for. The dumpster fire I'm talking about is the point when CIG can no longer sustain the charade and all the smoke and mirrors come down, and everyone has to sit down and admit they got hosed and their money is gone. That's what the author is looking at as a possibility, that's what we're all expecting to happen, that's what the crazy backers are having conniptions about whenever it gets mentioned. Fact is since that letter and all the idiocy that happened from it CIG is still keeping up the image to their (seemingly eager to be misled) backers that things are trotting along nicely.

But you're right about the follow-up. The clever ones will be keeping an eye on this thing so they can be the first to get the article out titled "THE STAR CITIZEN DREAM CRASHES" and then the retrospectives asking "What went wrong?" because as the author says in the end, Star Citizen loving up would be a pretty big deal in terms of discussions about the future of crowd-sourcing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hopper posted:

Is he already on that show?

Derek, please consider this:

You're too late. You were always too late. We were all too late.

But to be honest if actual litigation is going to be happening (the drum roll goes on) then none of this really matters anyway.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hopper posted:

Oh wow, I would expect nobody to touch the guy with a 10 foot pole. How can public figures like Chris and Derek not completely shun a guy who openly has ideas like people posted in this thread?

They ignore all that so they can get what they want out of the person. If you've got something people want/need they're going to deal with you regardless of the kind of person you are, and then have a long shower afterwards if they can't rationalise away the issues.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

sandi does not gently caress chris. Im pretty sure chris will just gently caress a whore if he actually wants to gently caress.

Why does he need to get a whore when he's loving a whole lot of people and they're paying him?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Those are literally all the posts I have made since getting off probation ha ha.
If I get a perma I don't know how I will cope, I will really miss the community and camaraderie oh yes I will

Well hey, at least they're reviewing it and didn't just mash the ten year probation button like they did with Beer.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Chalks posted:

Derek should just start posting about a bunch of different kickstarters that look interesting so we can watch these idiots run around trying to keep up.

I think it's safe to say most of them didn't have much of a schedule to clear in order to spend all day chasing Derek Smart around.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, that's chargeback territory.

It's like someone there wants unsatisfied backers to start chargeback proceedings because then it saves them the legwork involved in getting the refund managed.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I know it's not unique to them, but I love how whenever someone has some vaguely negative thing to say about SC and the community you get a few of the weirdos coming in to the twitter feed or comments sections trying to 'educate' everyone on how wrong the person making the statements are, but do it in such an overbearing and condescending way that it's completely unhelpful to their message.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

1500 posted:

You really can't stop with the BS can you. I mean really how pathetic can you get, if your argument is so week, and you are so butthurt about FD, that you have to resort to this poo poo why are you even posting? You have been crying about refunds for pages now, I mean really, do we need to get the doll were FD touched you, would that help move on? Has no one validated your feelings, said poor boy to you, perhaps you need a hug?

its sad really don't know what a lie is, and you think everyone is protected by the same laws. Two things that I would expect an education system to teach, but there are always the few that fall through, and are unable to learn anything. I am sorry an education system failed you, or you failed it.

Well thank god you're at least crashing and burning for a game that actually has spaceships in it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Decrepus posted:

The amount of goons being pushed around by Star Citizep customer service makes me lol in real life and in china.

Careful there, mirth could be construed as a threat against Star Citizen Customer Service Staff Members.

Hezzy posted:

all I did was point out on a status that it was lovely of RSI to charge people money to receive development information first

And that was in January two years ago. I think I've seen the name "John Shepherd" still floating around the craposphere recently dispensing condescension whilst pretending to be a harbinger of TRUE RSI FACTS, unless I'm mistaken.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well if Im going to die in a hill as a videogame white knight I rather do it for a game that actually exist, even if the game sort of sucks and I have to bend over backwards over the cognitive dissonance I create defending one while attacking the other.

I think at some point we're going to have to accept that the supernatural can occur and that some people have long ago died on their own personal hill but their insufferable spirit lingers on.

1500 posted:

ya fair enough, bad morning so his ignorant bs got to me.

Maybe with your background in control systems you could work on some self control.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

no_recall posted:

Actually, in DS's defense, he said "Star Marine" specifically. So he's right, Star Marine, doesn't exist in 2.0.

Also in those cases he just said he didn't believe it was going to happen. He didn't claim his sources told him as such.

I mean it's a few right a few wrong anyway, it hardly invalidates anything we're seeing now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

I'm starting to feel we were unkind to Karl, this game does look pretty awesome.

Yeah if you punch yourself in the head enough times and then snort a shitload of glue it really starts to look incredible.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The parts of the star citizen threads when people are complimentary towards anything involved in star citizen are the worst parts.

A lot of folks still really hope that CIG somehow accidentally crosses the finish line on this and produces an emergent spaceship experience.

The problem is I'm sure we're well past "fool me twice, shame on me" and into "fool me twenty times, but I'm still hopeful."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CoreFire posted:

It's just sad at this point.

No one asked for your life story, we read the blurb on the back of the book.

"This guy still has money in Star Citizen."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Been playing 2.0 quite a bit and it really is quite something when it's not crashing at this rate, which I suspect will be fixed in a week or two, I think it's a really solid foundation for all the "core mechanics". Only thing I'm still skeptical about are the economic systems, if they get that right, I can say they have an extremely solid foundation for the rest of the game.

Looks amazing on a 4K monitor too.

I'm willing to risk looking foolish by saying that there's no way they're going to fix these issues within two weeks, or even a month. I have no background in programming or game design of course so hey big ol' grains of salt incoming, but it just looks like they have so many things going wrong at this point it's impossible for me to accept they could easily iron out 100 different reasons the game crashes, shoots its pilot out of the spaceship, locks them in place etc.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Toops posted:

Absolute loving visionaries these guys. A broken PoC shitmess is exactly how they imagined it.

:downsbravo: :chome: :sissies: :chome: :jackbud: :cocaine: :parrot:

To be fair when you're lying in bed and super depressed about your life I would wager you probably would imagine everything going wrong.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Deki posted:

I've seen stuff like "Goons have come around and like SC again because the PU is so goddamn amazing" in like 3 different places at this point.

What loving thread are they reading?

What they want to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Gryphon0468 posted:

Can you all see yet he can't even keep his own bullshit straight?

Oh, this is rich.

• Locked thread