Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Sappo569 posted:

Re: Customer Support being backlogged

Remember that time CIG admitted they had hundreds of tickets to catch up on, and suddenly 'poof' they just purged the entire database?

I'm kind of surprised that didn't accidentally delete everyone's ship accounts. That sort of seems like something they would have done, but they avoided so hey gold star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Daztek posted:

Wonder when they'll notice all they say is 'Just wait until <event/date/patch x> where they'll show <y> and Derek Smart will <z>' on repeat lol

Derek is just so increasingly smug about this poo poo sinking they feel compelled to fight it, in spite of the fact that there's no way to win against that sheer amount of smugness. As he escalates in confidence so too must they escalate in DREAMS.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 26, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tau Wedel posted:

I wrote a thing:

Two Weeks

A paaaarp stirred in my heart.

ewe2 posted:

:gary: HALP SMUG OVERLOAD

I get the feeling that subreddit is going to be a lot like the election night thread in D&D but in agonisingly slow pace and detail.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Seeing the world through the same eyes as these people would be kind of frightening.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Star Citizen is pretty awful and I like Sengoku Basara so I feel more at home than ever.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Look! A Horse! posted:

ummm lets talk about star citizen PLZ???

from a quote about the recent NMS foundation update:

ummm....

I think at this point they're confident that even if Star Citizen releases and is complete poo poo, it still won't be as bad as the NMS release.

Cause really to a normal person it might seem like hey, that's a really difficult gently caress-up to achieve when you've watched someone else gently caress it up first.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Various Meat Products posted:

so I probably shouldn't buy any star citizens at this point, right?

Give it a few more months and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pick some up on the cheap. You like German auditors yeah?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Various Meat Products posted:

Nah, FYAD is mostly into Shroud of the Avatar now.

I feel like if we could bring the invisible cats from there to Star Citizen we'd get a lot more comfortable with ourselves.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's always lowkey surprising to be confronted by buying addictions worse than the ones presenting in the Steam thread. I know Citizens and I value virtual spaceships differently, but I don't understand why putting yourself at financial risk for the sake of the Vision is met with congratulatory pats on the back.

Spending money is pretty much the only indicator of success these people seem to understand. More money into Star Citizen means more success. If you throw more money into Star Citizen you're clearly someone who is successful too! Then when Star Citizen somehow manages to overcome all its technical and managerial problems and releases to satisfy all their dreams they will be double successful because they'll have the best ships with full insurance forever... forever! Oh and if it doesn't well that's fine because it's all "disposable income" which when used in the concept of throwing thousands of dollars into a money pit is the term that helps you identify a man-child who was either born into money or spends someone else's.

I've seen that dribbling failure vortex Lethality mock people who have concerns or issues with the idiotic ship prices as being people who work at McDonalds, and even here MoMA ridiculed Streetroller getting a refund and chided him for not spending his 'allowance' more sensibly.

God only knows why they seem to cling to this idea, money clearly can't buy them class or intelligence, and in the case of Star Citizen it hasn't even remotely been able to buy them happiness.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Breetai posted:

It's the end-point of Nerd Culture in general. When you define yourself as a person through the media you consume it's sad enough. But when you gather in communities dedicated to doing so then you reach a point where ideological purity is linearly tied to said consumption. Then you start getting people having to post about how much they love/have spent on the project as a disclaimer every time they posts any doubts/impure thoughts about the progress of the project, and the echo chamber grows more shrill.

I know I should expect it, but I'm still going to be extremely annoyed when these idiots try to walk off a failure of the monetary proportions Star Citizen has reached.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I quite liked that $136 million thread on reddit where some idiot unironically said "woah look out GTAV here we come" and didn't hear the Jaws music fading in

Maybe he meant in a way you shout out to someone your car is coming down the hill on fire with no brakes and that they should get off the road to avoid your horrible meteoric downward screaming vehicorpse.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

D1E posted:

It's actually possible they might bring this game back from the dead.

Yeah, as a horrific shambling corpse that staggers around unaware of what it was or was supposed to be.

Has anyone explained to them yet that E:D is actually out so you don't play the game by playing pretend on the forums? I feel like they don't seem to understand that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

D1E posted:

I imagine it's probably very difficult to do their jobs with Derek Smart PMing them every five minutes asking them to probate everyone for making fun of him.

Please show the thread where on the blog he touched you.

No wait that might be doxxing nevermind.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

A thought occurred to me this morning as I poured scalding hot coffee in my own face that if it did in fact take Chris Roberts 8 hours to write a letter about how The Escapist was a secret Derek Smart front for destroying Star Citizen, then does that mean he did a series of drafts beforehand to get it just right? Do you think I could set up one of those crowdfunding things like Ben did and try to buy the drafts? I'm sure Chris needs the money and wouldn't say no.

The problem is reaching him would be impossible because he doesn't read his email. I'm going to have to talk to a faltering backer about dressing me up as a gift basket so I can get in there and try to speak to Chris.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

XK posted:

The last anime I watched was Voltron back in 1984. It was pretty cool.

Everything I've seen in the last 20 years makes anime look all hosed up.

What do you think is Chris Roberts' favourite anime? I need an ice-breaker for when I leap out of a gift basket and I think this might be just the in I need.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I still don't think Chris is taking advantage of people. I think he's deluded himself more than anyone else, but the same sheer force of will that enables him to even conceive of this bullshit is also what blinds him to the fact that he's hopelessly outclassed and incompetent.

I feel like this is your final tenuous barrier against the crushing misery that is reflecting on all the time spent on Star Citizen.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which is more depressing; that $130M have been scammed out of hopeful backers by a massive scheme, or that $130M of other people's money was wasted by a man who conned himself?

It's not about what is, but about what you're convincing yourself is or isn't. If that sentence makes sense. I'm not sure it does. But really he's clearly scamming people at this point. He's a micro-manager so he's got all his hands in this poo poo so he can't claim ignorance with any credibility. He asks for more stuff if backers stop sending gifts. He's been taking multiple expensive holidays and flaunting the windfall of "success" in ways he clearly wasn't before SC started.

It just feels like trying to paint Chris Roberts as a bumbling but still trying buffoon is more salve for your own wounds sustained at the hands of their malicious treatment of you when you were a backer than anything. Not intended as an insult towards you, but it comes across like the people who say "at least they tried/are trying!" when challenged on the brutal incompetence on display at almost every level (Chris Roberts controls all of them).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I feel like you've all missed the most important factor in this which is that Voltron wasn't a single anime it was many animes put together which is great when you remember that Voltron itself was many robots combining into one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

The 4chan rejects drove out MoMA and Lazrin :(

They really didn't. Lazrin hasn't posted since his meltdown that got him probated, and MoMA's probably just been enjoying family time for Thanksgiving.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

See? Posts like this are great. They're all coherent arguments that make valid points.

I don't think of it as an "at least they tried" situation. I think of it as the kind of reality distortion field bullshit that people saw around Steve Jobs, a kind of group delusion that enables Chris to even think this stuff is possible. It's the same thing he did with Wing Commander and Freelancer. I don't think he's actively scamming people, I think he sees the millions pouring in as validation of what he's doing. Same with the vacations and lavish facilities. I suspect he sees all of that as earned rewards for his success, again defined by the funding counter.

Look at the behind the scenes video. Assuming that isn't a hoax, it shows Chris actually believing they could finish the SQ42 demo in a day when months later nothing has been shown. That is not the perspective of someone who is in touch with reality. It's the same thing we've seen for years. Nobody in their right mind releases the letter Chris did last year after The Escapist article.

I believe the scam, the willfull intent to extract as much money as possible, lies with Sandi and Ortwin. Ortwin's actions with the Hollywood accounting and multiple shell corporations suggests a massive effort to shield as much money as possible from reprisal, and Sandi is in charge of a predatory marketing campaign that has demonstrated a callous disregard for ethical behavior. Just read the correspondence she sent to me to get a sense of what kind of person she is.

Does it matter? Not really. Regardless of what happens Chris will take the blame, and I would be shocked if Ortwin didn't have contingencies in place to ensure he's untouched. Sandi probably thinks she has an out but I haven't seen anything to suggest she's even remotely competent enough to pull it off. Even if Chris isn't intentionally scamming people he's guilty of gross incompetence and mismanagement. He deserves whatever comes to him.

CIG as a company is running a scam, and it doesn't take much to see it. Every dollar spent increases scope which justifies increasing schedule. They're selling ships that they don't have to deliver even if the game is released. The only concrete information they've provided is about features they've cut. They habitually fail to meet the expectations that they only set. They constantly pressure backers to spend more while failing to meet their existing obligations. And people continue to fall for it.

I think the best way I can put it is more or less what I said when it turned out Sandi was emailing your buddy his posts on SA to him, and that's just that they're maliciously incompetent. They come across to me as loving stupid and they're really nasty about it, because they seem to think they're smarter than they really are and don't understand how to handle things like normal, sane people would. They'd step on your back rather then step over it, but would then probably lose balance and fall into a rose bush.

Chris is just as nasty as the rest of them and he's basically admitted that he is in dealing with staff. It's even worse if TheAgent's stories are true. I have no doubt he's okayed every underhanded little trick and known exactly why it was that built that way financially. He thinks the demo was possible because of arrogance and stupidity, that he can simply decree and it will be done. Failure is ego damage and he won't accept that.

Remember, "the backers will never know."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

XK posted:

The giant wall of character creation

I'm not gonna lie I like the thought process and everything they went into with making their character, and the character itself isn't bad.

It might be wasted on Star Citizen but at least the setting is so generic it can be slapped into anything else.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Maliciously incompetent" is a perfect way to put it. I think in the end it doesn't matter; we all agree they deserve whatever is coming to them and regardless of who is actively scamming versus knowingly benefiting from the scam they're all responsible for it.

Of course, before this all goes down I feel like Chris and co getting what's coming to them will be postponed while the idiots get the financial slaughtering their karma seems to demand.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The computer I'm on sucks too much to open that massive funding document where people obsessively track it by day but I think they pulled in around $7,000,000 for the 9 day sale. Roughly 1.5 - 1.75 months of bills at the current leaked burn rate. And yes they do a Holiday sale every year. November and December usually pull in $5,000,000+ each but they pulled out all the stops for this November by re-releasing the "never to be sold again" ships and doing "new cash discounts" on everything.

They've defied our expectations regarding fatal economic wounds to the point that they really should have called themselves Rasputin Space Industries.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Titanic posted:

I really love this guy. :allears:

1: They can name a version anything they want. Tomorrow they could call it 3.0. There! You got 3.0!

2: You can't. They showed you a cinematic of this. Nobody is doing this in the game.

3: First it was already in the game. Then it was canceled. Now it's in the game again. Uh, sure, maybe you and Chris need to sit down and figure out how this is going to go next time. Plus, it's a loving arena shooter module in an engine designed from ground up to be a loving arena shooter. CryEngine came with Star Marine in it from the start. CIG just broke it.

4: You're 5 years in, and 130 loving MILLION DOLLARS later, and you have <1% of a game. At what point do you think "Hmmm... something seems amiss with this!" Because that's what we're all really waiting for. Is for you guys to come to the explosive realization you're getting screwed for Porsche payments, exotic vacations, and maybe a CGI movie.

Takaroshe is pretty great because he uses Edwin from Baldur's Gate as a twitter avatar and it really fits his posting style. I'm just sad he doesn't do little off to the side comments in brackets.

But he's still great as a laughing stock character in this whole Star Citizen thing. Looking forward to the character arc where he's transformed into a woman and because CIG hasn't implemented a model yet he haunts everyone as a ghost instead.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Look, Lethality, get over it. Not even Derek Smart gives a poo poo about LoD!

Yeah, only D1E gives a gently caress about LoD at this point.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

D1E posted:

LOL.

I don't give a gently caress about LoD.

I just think someone has to call out Derek on his endless bullshit. I honestly thought he was growing as a person, until his little bitch fight with FAU caused me to reevaluate. He's the exact same rear end in a top hat he was 15 years ago, telling his customers they're too stupid to play his games and blaming German-language video drivers on bugs he can't fix. It's rich of him to call out SC for being a piece of poo poo - he would definitely know poo poo space video games.

He'll also go to any length to make himself look like the best source of SC news, when his blogs are largely just recycled from other user's posts from this thread. I trust TheAgent a million times more than Derek.

He will also never admit to a single mistake. Doxxing or not, posting personal information about a forum user (ANY user) as a MODERATOR was definitely a no-no. But he's too weak and childish to ever do the mature and responsible thing and just say he screwed up and it won't happen again. Instead it's a giant conspiracy against him by SC backers. He's Saint Derek.

Honestly, I think it's pathetic that he has a fan club of enablers who constantly tell him how great he is and beg him to go Full Warlord on demonstrably mentally ill Shitizens.

In short, gently caress Derek.

And before anyone reports this as off-topic, Derek has chosen to be fully associated with everything Star Citizen. Beyond that, just look at the subforum's name.

I was making a joke, just so you know.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

To be honest - and I'm sorry about this Mirificus - I can just barely skim through the reddit poo poo, even the crap I post here myself. It's just so very painful

There's a specific threshold of wordswordswords I'm willing to read up to, only because I read super fast. Some of those reddit walls of text are a bit beyond me.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Lol, just lol if you don't read Stimpire.txt the whole way through every time it's posted

It's one of those things where you have to do it to remind yourself yes it exists, holy poo poo it really exists.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'll admit I'm kind of lost. Derek asked a pretty sane and easy to answer question to MoMA and he loving went up like a house made of combustible orphans. Was this supposed to be a lesson for Derek in what happens when you dick around and don't do what's expected of you or something?

As far as meltdowns go it's like someone cranked up the heat at Madam Tussauds or something and it proved what? Or am I the crazy one?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

now that derek's not a mod, moma's bringing out the teeth. they're broken baby teeth but the thought is still there.

I'm not sure much thought is there at all to be honest. Is there a secret trophy for petulance being handed out at the CIG LA Orifices? I think I'm in a state of shock because I consider MoMA to be what you get if you scoop a cup across the top of a pond and pour it into a human-shaped cup but even I didn't think he was this loving dumb. This isn't even a hill he's set himself to die on. More like an ant's nest.

If MoMA is a real person I feel awful for everyone around him. The few still around because they can't actually get away from him I mean.

TheAgent posted:

its good if you like homoerotic anime

God, it's getting to the stage where I can't go camping with my fellow handsome men with our shirts open and just snuggle in the tent with them without it being gay.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Catching up, has MOMA proved this yet or is just making wild claims?

In fairness to the guy it's not like this thread isn't full of seemingly wild claims that can only ever be substantiated as true or false after some measure of an event has happened.

It's just that he's usually horribly wrong.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

D1E posted:

Derek Smart is so obsessed with Star Citizen he basically talks to himself about it on his own forums:

Yeah imagine being so obsessed with something or someone you just shout endlessly about it and at it.

Milky Moor posted:

my god regression testing

still laughing over it

To be fair it would explain why performance seems to get worse with every patch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

D_Smart posted:

It's a GIF made from a series of individual Photoshopped images. If they were serious, they would have posted a video instead.

And CIG's own silence on the matter, is the only answer you need as to whether or not SM is already enabled for play in 2.6

This makes MoMA flipping out so much weirder and dumber. Which is an achievement, because it was already weird to do and super loving dumb.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

thatguy posted:

MoMA if you just said that the game isn't very good right now you could go after Derek and how wrong he's been over the past few days. Most of Derek's arguments have to do with him having SUPER SECRET SPEC-OP DOUBLE AGENT MOLES and if you could just discredit that you could finally be on the other end of a nice meltdown for once. People like Agent and AP don't mind being wrong but for Derek it results in a catastrophic disaster (hilarity) every time.

I have trouble keeping up with half of what Derek says because I get stuck on trying to figure out what's true and what is him just spinning out bullshit to gently caress with this thread, Reddit and CIG in equal measure. I figure there's no real point keeping up cause if he's right he'll let us know he called it and if he's wrong someone will demand he recognise he was wrong and I can just nod my head and go "Oh okay"

Even this gif thing I don't even know what the gently caress.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

You know if you think about it, the script for SQ42 was apparently in one of the PU updates so really, technically Squadron 42 is out right now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

At this point it's kind of obvious MoMA's just doing this to yank a whole bunch of chains at once.

Which is entirely in the spirit of the thread so good on him there I guess.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

The only issue with doing a toxx over Star Marine is I don't really see anyone in here who can prove definitively one way or another that it's straight up not in the current build.

Unless anyone wants to lose their super secret evocati status by livestreaming it so they can get Uncle Derek banned lol.

The only winning move is to not play.

Which is fine cause it's all mostly unplayable anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kakarot posted:

Rest of the year eh....yea thats a huge sacrifice

Yeah, I don't think anyone's gonna bite for a less than a month period. But then again I don't really see Derek being able to contain himself for longer than that. I couldn't.

• Locked thread