Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Daztek posted:

The image is from Pathfinder which is published by Paizo, but I have no idea how the DnD/WoTC/Paizo/Hasbro stuff goes

:eng101: Pathfinder is a company that makes a D&D derivative product under the Open Gaming Licence, and while they used to be associated with WotC/Hasbro, they aren't any more. The OGL legality is complicated, but Paizo have copyright on all strictly original content and artworks - in other words, the character and art ripped off. They can sue, WotC/Hasbro can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

Xaerael posted:

Reminder to people who P2SP (pledged to shitpost), GET A REFUND (actually, just cancel your pledge when you're done pissing in the well.)

It'll be loving awful if they get funded by like, $2 because 3 goons kicked a dollar in each to take a dump on their criminal operation.

Also, I hope we don't get in trouble with the meatball mafia over this. :ohdear:

If they get funded, they'll be in hot water since money changed hands based in part on stolen IP.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

SurfaceDetail posted:

What happened to the dinosaurs and my gfs holes last weekend.

Freezing to death in a toxic atmosphere?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

I'm funding the idea. The idea of ideas in general.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

MeLKoR posted:

Could any of the brits explain to me why you seemingly eat entire syllables? Eg, why does Leicester sound like "Leister"? What the gently caress happened to the "ce"? Also why is the I in "bishop" a simple vowel and in "night" it's a diphthong? Shouldn't it be "neight" or "naight" or something? English has some useful features that I love but your spelling is a complete joke.

e: rhyming slang is the most :psyduck: thing ever. just... whyyyyyy?

Now try to pronounce "Milngavie".

Give up?

The first i is pronounced like a u.

The n, v and e are silent.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

orcinus posted:

So "Mulga"?
I...
what.
why?

Sorry, the second i isn't silent. It's "Mulgai".

I clearly don't understand word development. :suicide:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Mulgai. I was overzealous in redacting vowels.

As for why? It's Scottish, home of the names Dalziel and Menzies. Pronounced "D L" and "Ming-es".

Murderion fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/328051/cargo-loading-unloading

Immersion. Or I could park next to a Wal-Mart and see it in action.

I think "immersion" and "excessive realism" are becoming interchangeable at this point. Like their idea of an immersive FPS is one where you sit on the back of a truck for 5 hours before being blown up by an IED and dying, forever. You can never play the game again.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

So wasn't 2.4 getting ready? Has it been put on the PTU yet?
Also this thread is amazingballz.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/327916/10ftc-assets-in-sq42-and-pu-are-incompatible/p1

According to Derek, doesn't failing to drop a "completed" version by May royally gently caress them on one of their TOS's?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

G0RF posted:

I have an effort post in progress called "And For My Next Trick", cataloging all the vanishing 'in-engine' footage we've seen over the years...

Oh, cool. It's the time vortex.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

D_Smart posted:

When the Minimum Viable Product goes live, remember, half a loaf of poo poo, is still part of the bigger loaf of poo poo.

ps: There is nothing in Star Citizen now, or in the future, that hasn't been done before. Nothing.

idk man, the levels of persistence in 2.4 will be pretty unique for a game of its' size. You don't get this little persistence from anything but a lovely mobile game these days.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

im the mad men reject who describes the receptionist as a "pretty new addition" in writing to the world at large

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Ooh, 500 new posts, I wonder what ha- oh. Nown micedelt Branflakes.

Lime Tonics posted:

edit : pretend this cat read that to you.

This cat has a deep and soothing voice, I like it.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Sunswipe posted:

It's still amazing to me that 900 years in the future, people are still using what look pretty much like Heckler and Koch G36 assault rifles. The lack of imagination that's gone into this game is incredible. 1930s sci-fi serial rayguns would be an improvement on this half-assed tosh.

Modern looking H&K G36 rifles and the like are a standby of a lot of modern tv sci-fi set in the spacefuture, showing up on Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting. Of course, the reason is that they're intimidating, look passably futuristic-ish, and (most importantly) are easy as piss to acquire in blank-firing replica form for a massive firefight that doesn't break the effects budget. Even in a war setting like BSG, there's nothing high concept design fidelity will accomplish better than "this is gun. Gun bad. Gun shooty man, man fall down."

Of course, there's no reason to do this outside of a live action medium. It's even stupider when the player is an active participant in the fighting rather than just a viewer, dumber still when all the guns have visible stats and blurbs and attachments to :spergin: over.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

The Kins posted:

On the topic of making guns look cool in sci-fi games, Bethesda's site has a gallery of Doom 4's weapon designs, with artist commentary.

Thanks, it's interesting to see how much effort professionals put into cheesy popcorn poo poo like Doom.

To :words: a bit more about design, guns in most media aren't important for their fire rates, slides, receivers, synthetic stocks etc etc, but rather for what they represent. Danger, war, death, the possibility of a much-loved character being hurt or killed - that's what's important. Modern weapons are used in sci-fi because the gun, in a recognizable form, is an easier shorthand for all of these things than a sleek Flash Gordon raygun or a fire spitting death staff. The harsh bang and flash of the modern firearm is more visceral than the pew-pew of the Star Wars blaster or the hiss of the Star Trek phaser. The only distinction the audience makes is between "Gun!:ohdear:" for a pistol or "Big Gun!:stonk:" for an SMG/shotgun/rifle.

In FPS games, the distinction is important because the weapon is an iconic extension of the player character, the thing we see the most and how we (murderously) interact with the world. Every weapon must look and feel distinctive in some way, whether we're dealing with wildly different weapons in Doom or carefully weighing up the pros and cons of two assault rifles in CoD multiplayer. The design choice of using modern firearms still holds, which is why solid projectile firearms have been a staple of VG sci-fi since the original Doom, but the design freedom of the medium means it's possible to build from the ground up. Take Halo, where the human weapons have a sleek bullpup design for a distinctive reloading animation, or the heavy assault rifle in the Doom designs which combines all of the hugest, manliest parts of the hugest, manliest modern guns into a massive silver thing that shoots testosterone tipped shells and launches sperm filled grenades.

Star Citizen is cribbing off of what's come before, of course, but it's cribbing off the wrong thing. Roberts has apparently skipped the last decade and a half of game design in favour of watching movies and TV. He's cargo culting Hollywood design, not understanding why those choices are made or why the modern games industry does things differently.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Dante80 posted:

It looks like poo poo (too much engine for the airspaceplane). Also, is this one of those that will come after launch?
Lastly, wasn't this supposed to have 360 gun coverage or sth?

Why are a half dozen guns shoved in right next to the engines? Wouldn't they overheat?

Still trying to figure out whether those trapezoids with grills on the end are MORE ENGINE or MORE GUN.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Danknificent posted:

Space jolly rogers on the wings

:psyduck:

What's the over/under on that design being archer'd?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
2.4 is truly a millstone patch.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

MeLKoR posted:

I take it these aren't archered? I mean... they wouldn't, would they?

Could be stolen from a lovely DA, could be actually employing a lovely DA artist :shrug:. I'm not an art expert, but there's at least been some effort to make the designs consistent.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
My grandfather spent the war at home, came up with ideas for dropping propaganda on German civilians, then got made a lord after the war. Suck it, colonial plebes.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Blah, had two effortposts on customer services and data protection eaten by computer crashes.

Anyhow, flakegate is embarrassing, but worse for CIG, it looks like they've been breaking data protection laws. The most obvious bit - not giving info to third parties - is probably intact unless CIG security is tissue thin. However, in the UK at least, there's another caveat. Companies cannot collect, retain, or use extraneous or unnecessary information on their customers. What information is necessary is determined by the nature of the company and the TOS. "Snowflake" and "High maintenance" don't count, since that's just using information from your interactions with customer services. "Goon" does - it's information about your internet usage that isn't relevant to the services CIG (doesn't) provide. If that information has been volunteered by the customer, it's a bit naughty to retain that information, and worse to use it, but no biggie (unless you can argue that being a Goon is an ethnicity, religion, sexuality or medical condition).

Using a customer's information to search for more information on them OTOH, is very naughty. Taking the info you've given them to search for information you haven't volunteered is a deliberate breach of data protection. We can see this in PGabz's case - they've used information he volunteered (the username he gave them) to dig up additional information (he posts on SA under the same name linking to videos on his Major Tom account), and used that information (to change his name with them and alter how customer services deals with him). If PGabz hasn't volunteered this info or mentioned it on the SC forums, they've been using his info without his permission in breach of the law. Even if he has, it's unnecessary information and wrong for them to store.

tl, dr: as a Brit, PGabz can potentially sue and pursue criminal charges against CIG, provided I'm right about the law (IANAL).

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/

go hog wild comadno p9

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

ewe2 posted:

This. But also, think about it: the backers are so clueless they can't even get work in helpdesk. Because anyone who's worked helpdesk knows this is a level 2/line manager/analyst level decision or at least implementation. That means orders from managment, the desk staff didn't come up with this. Basic rule of support: always professional language no matter how annoying the customer is, and you're entitled to refuse support if they are threatening or pathologically obsessive. I've seen people get in trouble for their notes, this lot have built it into the loving system.

Fun fact: UK Data Protection is on a personal liability basis - if you break the law, even on orders from above, you're liable. The CS guys are in a bit of a pickle if they used company resources to internet detective their customers. If Sandi ordered the CS team to implement this system, she's up for the fine. CIG can potentially avoid some company wide liability - if they fire Sandi. :kheldragar:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
What's your opinion on CIG's UK based helpdesk potentially breaking the data protection laws there, MoMA?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Institutionalize insulting your customers, but don't let them see it.

:negative:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

alf_pogs posted:

or that they search other internet websites for identifiable information and collate that information for internal use

is this doxxing? have we been doxxed? i thought redditors hate doxxing but they seem to be okay with this

So far as we can tell, yes. When a British customer support team does it for no good reason, it's illegal!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

alf_pogs posted:

i don't want to go all armchair lawyer but i spent last week writing and editing boring legislative training about this for a company who had been found to have breached privacy law. in the australian privacy principles there's a specific point that collating (even publicly obtainable) information about a user without their consent isn't acceptable behaviour for any private-sector organisation.

but i dunno maybe it's all cool

If CIG was just a US company, it'd probably be fine (lol US consumer protection). The laws Ray "what do you mean it's a racist slur" Roocroft has to follow are detailed here. Sections two through four are relevant, with principle three being the one they could be in violation of:

quote:

Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

The terms aren't strictly defined, but the company needs to show that collecting information on a users browsing habits is relevant to providing customer support for a spacegame.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/what-we-do/register-of-data-controllers/

quote:

The Data Protection Act 1998 requires every organisation that processes personal information to register with the Information Commissionerís Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

ruh roh

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

This is where the fact that I'm not a lawyer comes into full effect. There are exemptions for various organisations, including:

quote:

organisations that process personal data only for:
staff administration (including payroll);
advertising, marketing and public relations (in connection with their own business activity); and
accounts and records;

Which may apply to Foundry 42 if they're simply making code for CIG. Zendesk, which provides the software for the CS team, has a UK ICO listing, but I don't know whether they employ CIG's customer services, or whether that's handled in-house by a CIG subsidiary. CIG, CIG UK, and Foundry 42 do not have publicly accessible ICO listings, based on about an hour's searching.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Chris Roberts, wearing a battered top hat and tails, is pushed into an old timey paddy wagon by policemen in double breasted uniforms

"I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling goons! Nyah!"

Murderion fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Kak tax:

It sounds like Chris is just doing whatever the hell he wants and leaving everyone else to fix it in his wake. Why the gently caress would you spend a significant amount of not just your game's but your company's total budget on mocap that won't even feature in core gameplay.

Oh wait, Activision did it. Gotcha.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVs2AUnbGDI&t=53s

It's like a bad copy of overwatch with only 1 hero called Long Thumb.

So they use G36 knockoffs covered in doodads for the weapon models but have them fire pewpew lasers with lovely sound effects? That's the worst of both worlds :psyduck:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4tacpg/the_community_and_star_citizen/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ta4a3/well_that_escalated_quickly/

the sub is littered with these types of meta threads right now. Lot of confused lashing out, alot of guilt and self-condemnation, alot of questions about what the community actually stands for. The threads that aren't about streetroller or how to deal with trolls get no traffic. The media content is too paltry to chew over to get through the week. There is no manna from heaven coming from Chris. An ideological breakdown is happening in real time.

Sorry for threatening to kill your family and force you to eat your pets, streetroller. It was a necessary part of the goon false flag operation to I need a platinum account to write this message

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Saint Drogo posted:

if we're going to the moon I better get a Full Burn cover by this guy
https://youtu.be/wUVm_I2r3OA

Pusher wanders the fighter bay of the UEE flagship, humming Full Burn to herself. The entire cast of The Singing Kettle jumps out from behind a crate to join in.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Did CIG leak hiring D-list British talent to distract from Sandi using high-end mocap studio time to pursuing her failed casting director dreams, or the other way around? U DCEID COmMADNo7

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

MeLKoR posted:

To be clear, I'm not arguing how things are in the UK and certainly not outside the EU. I was just saying that in another EU country your privacy rights only extend up to invoices. Once you make a purchase the company can't alter the customer data. Holy poo poo, especially so if they issued a refund, that would look like they made a sale, issued a refund/credit note, pocketed the money, avoided paying any taxes and deleted any way for the tax authorities to audit their sales records.
There may be similar provisions in other countries, it would be impossible to do any sort of forensic auditing if companies could just delete all costumer info and claim they did it to protect customer privacy.

Bingo, it's entirely legit for companies to store information on closed account. Keeping records of financial transactions is a legitimate use of data on the company's end, and they can store that information for as long as is necessary. Other information should be stored for "a reasonable amount of time" - usually a matter of months or years, depending on what the information is and how it was gathered. A company would most definitely not scrub their records of all information the instant a customer closed their account.

What changes is how they can use this information. For instance, a company using personal information to send out promotional materials to customers uses some of the same information to ensure ex-customers (or other people who've asked not to be contacted) don't get sent material. The amount of information is smaller - companies don't need demographic data or records of past purchases to not send you spam.

Sandi keeping a list of people who've received refunds is, in and of itself, not illegal. So long as the data is secure, CIG can store that info however they want - Sandi can write it in blood on the flayed skin of unworthy lackeys, so long as she keeps it in a locked cabinet. If they use that information for anything other than metadata or record-keeping, that's another matter.

edit: my sister's cat who I'll be looking after this week.

She's a bit of a Sandi with her claws

Murderion fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 28, 2016

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

happyhippy posted:

I heard that they watch a full show of Macbeth during downtime on the ship, hence the script bloat.
Without it, its 3 pages long.

:eng101: Actually, after digging out my old Longman Hamlet and King Lear, Shakespeare's tragedies average out at about 180 pages of dialogue on A5 - just under a page per minute, if you're not cutting it down for production (everyone does).

This means that Squadron 42 is worth almost 7 Shakespeare plays!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Guys, guys., you've got it all backwards.

"Sandi Gardiner" is just a tracejob Ryan Archer cribbed from some obscure fetish porn actress.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Nation posted:

no wonder everyone is so defensive around ortwin

:ninja:"Now, we notice you've been falling behind recently. I know this job can be hard, but this is crunch time and we need all hands on deck."

:stare:"Well I, uh... I've been having some problems and I.. uhh."

:ninja:"I don't want to hear excuses. I think you know what this means."

*reaches into desk drawer, pulls out feather duster*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Working in that studio is going to be fun this week

The laughs never stop

Even when you want it to stop, they keep coming.

The laughs never stop.

• Locked thread